PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean my hair hates cones?

sweetlidlred
March 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
So, I have been using Redken allsoft shampoo and conditioner. It has a few cones it it. While I am in the shower my hair feels so soft and silky. After my hair air dries it feels dry and a little stringy. For those whose hair hates cones, what does your hair feel like when you use them?

thankyousir74
March 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
well I quit cones around December of last year. Before I used to shampoo every day (Dove for dry or damaged hair. not that I extensively damaged my hair, I just figured the extra hydration was better). Now I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar and my hair is in the best shape ever (thanks to babyslime's informational blog on the subject, i had pasted it below :D). Before it would, as you are experiencing, feel great in the shower, especially after the conditioning. But when it dried it used to be almost hard, easily tangled and just downright dull. Now it's shiny, easily manageable and softer. I've been trying to convert many people to baking soda and ACV, so I may be a bit biased, though, heh ^.^

http://web.mac.com/jfmori/iWeb/nz/No%20Shampoo%20Experiment/No%20Shampoo%20Experiment.html

Kirin
March 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
The only way to know, is to switch to something else for a few days and see if you notice a difference.

Chances are, you might have a build up of cones going on, perhaps trying a once weekly clarifying shampoo and see if that rev's up the performance of your other products.

Feisty Redhead
March 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
The only way to know, is to switch to something else for a few days and see if you notice a difference.

Chances are, you might have a build up of cones going on, perhaps trying a once weekly clarifying shampoo and see if that rev's up the performance of your other products.

Ditto. It's possible you just have build-up to get rid of. See if that helps first. If after a couple weeks you're still having some issues try going cone free for a couple weeks and see what happens with that. It takes a while to figure these things out but it's the only way you can know for sure.

Before LHC I didn't even know about cones, and I gave them up out of curiosity, not expecting a difference in my hair. Gave them up for a couple months, LOVED it, started using them again just to see what would happen if I went back and to really verify any preference I may have for using them or not using them. When I went back I hated it. My hair wasn't as shiny, tangled more, my waves and wurls disappeared, my hair was flat and dull, and while I can't explain it, my hair just didn't feel "right". So now I'm happily back to being cone-free for good, knowing for sure that I prefer to not use cones.

lora410
March 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My hair was constantly stringy and knotted; esp at the ends of my hair

jojo
March 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
my hair was always tangling with cones and looked dull, now without my hair shines more and although still gets tangly, it is more bouncy somehow!

Curlsgirl
March 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Like Feisty Redhead wrote, I stopped cones, then went back on them actually several times before I realized I like no-cones better. I had the same experience of not liking the coated feeling of cones after I got used to not having it. I though it was cones I needed but it was actually MOISTURE. They are two different things and I didn't realize it. Once I found the right cone-free products it was amazing the difference in my hair. It does take a while and some people find they do like cones better.