PDA

View Full Version : Hair toys

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I have reached APL and Im thinking maybe I can try a few updos with a stick or fork. The problem is my hair is so fine and thin I cant use the longer ones. My bun is so small it just looks funny so much sticking out. Any recommendations I think it would have to be lighter weight to maybe.

tomm
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Missy, I tried using one of my wife's thinner double-pointed knitting needles as a hair stick - it worked very well. I did some checking, they come in lengths down to 5 inches.

If you have any hair slides, you might try using the stick from the slide.

I hope this helps. I am looking forward to seeing any other suggestions people might have!

movie zombie
March 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
ditto re the hair type and texture: i found shorter sticks at ebay.

movie zombie

kimki
March 27th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'd suggest a Quattro Hair Stick http://stores.ebay.com/Quattro-Originals You can specify length between 4" and 6". They are slim and light, which is good for fine hair.

atlantaz3
March 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Flexi 8s come on all sizes. You might try some of the smaller sizes.
http://www.flexi8.com/flex/index.html

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Tomm did you bend the knitting needle or just use them like a stick? I never thought about using a hair slide stick. I would have to order online and I dont have a clue what length to get maybe the four inch.

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'd suggest childrens chop sticks. You can find some very lovely ones in Asian markets for a buck or two a pair.

tomm
March 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Tomm did you bend the knitting needle or just use them like a stick? I never thought about using a hair slide stick. I would have to order online and I dont have a clue what length to get maybe the four inch.
I have read about people who bent a knitting needle into a U-shape and used that. I don't need anything like that yet. I just use the needle as a stick.

The stick from the hair slide I have is just over four inches long. It is usable, but I do wish it were a touch longer.

embee
March 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
If you get chinese takeout you'll get free chopsticks. Cut them off at a shorter length and then sand them nicely till they're very very smooth. That's one way to get the length sticks you want. And since they come 2 to a set, you get to try 2 different lengths. :) Personally I like sticks almost 6 inches long, but a good inch of that (maybe a bit less) is decorative.

Cinnamon Hair
March 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Mei Fa has beautiful beaded sticks that are lightweight and very short. --Bazner Studio website (http://www.baznerstudio.com/mei-fa-hairstyx.html)

I also recommend double pointed painted metal knitting needles which you can find at places like Walmart for less than $5.

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I never knew they had childrens chop stick that an awesome idea. The whole chop stick idea is really a good one I could try them out to get the hang of them. I dont think an inch would be bad I just thought I would have a tiny tiny bun with all that stick hanging out. When I get the measurement I like Im definately going to be looking into the beaded sticks.

I never see sticks around here in any stores I have been to. I did see some at Claires once, but at the time my hair wasnt really long enough to do an updo using a stick. Im not really sure I can do one now, but Im going to try. Claires is almost three hours away, while I was there I did get a beak looking thing there that didnt work in my hair at the time, but I need to drag it out and try it again.

I hate to order online when I dont have a clue what Im getting so I love the chop sticks idea and the knitting needles. I think the little store around here has knitting needles if not Wal Marts is only about 45 mins away. We do have a Chinese restaurant though in this little back in the sticks town.

Thanks everyone I knew I could count on you all.

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Some how I missed your posts kimke and atlantaz 3 I just got home from work and Im so tired, but now I have to go check out the links in your post. Who needs sleep when you are on the hunt for hair toys.

Thanks everyone

Unnamed
March 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I know what you mean by shorter. So much is 6" or longer, and even 5" is a bit...long for my taste for most updos....and so I don't have very many sticks, as I'd prefer 3.5-4". :rolleyes:

Bit late, but thought I'd still post: I want to say definitely see about bending some knitting needles. They're great, as they're about 3.5" or so bent, and so don't stick out too too much, and they'd be cheap and light to mess around with.

In my siggy are 4" Quattros, and I have to say I *love* these. They're nice and thin and light weight, and they're not super slick and so don't slide out easily.

Another option would be to get a *thin* dowel (say, about 3/16") and some sandpaper. Cut the dowel to whatever length you want (I'd probably suggest 4" or so as the first try...you can always make shorter or longer), sand down one end to a point, oil it a bit, and voila, a simple custom-length hair stick for rather cheap.

tomm
March 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
In my siggy are 4" Quattros, and I have to say I *love* these. They're nice and thin and light weight, and they're not super slick and so don't slide out easily.
The StarLites Basics?

missy60
March 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I know what you mean by shorter. So much is 6" or longer, and even 5" is a bit...long for my taste for most updos....and so I don't have very many sticks, as I'd prefer 3.5-4". :rolleyes:

Bit late, but thought I'd still post: I want to say definitely see about bending some knitting needles. They're great, as they're about 3.5" or so bent, and so don't stick out too too much, and they'd be cheap and light to mess around with.

Another option would be to get a *thin* dowel (say, about 3/16") and some sandpaper. Cut the dowel to whatever length you want (I'd probably suggest 4" or so as the first try...you can always make shorter or longer), sand down one end to a point, oil it a bit, and voila, a simple custom-length hair stick for rather cheap.

Wow you have a big bun and use 4" sticks I would of thought you would need the longest ones they make. Im really glad you posted, because now you have given me hope I thought I was doomed to have a small bun no matter how long my hair got. I went to the Quattros website and I must admit they are more in my price range right now. I havent gotten a hair toy addiction yet.

One thing I do want to mention that on the Mei fa website they have videos of them using sticks with short hair. One video is with a lady with really short hair doing a half up I was amazed. One video with around shoulder length and then APL so it can be done.

lora410
March 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Graydog hair pins are 4-5 inches and hold EXTREMELY well! You can find them on e-bay buy typing graydog hair sticks. They also sell forks. Last I looked though they didn't have anything but knitting needles up. Maybe you could email them?

eresh
March 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I use chopsticks too, normal ones and childrens chopsticks.
I go to chinese supermarkets to buy them as you have choice from a variety of designs there, and they only cost about 1 euro per pair :-)

My childrens chopsticks are blue with little bunnies on them ;-)
But they also have plain wood ones.

Here are the bunny sticks, they're cute :-)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2605/bunnystickskyc5.th.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bunnystickskyc5.jpg)

Sticks that hold very well are amadlife sticks ( ebayseller (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZamadlife0))
They are beautiful handmade and sturdy sticks.

Unnamed
March 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Tomm -- Yep, I believe they're starlite basics. :cool: I actually got them off the swap board.

missy60 -- Why, thank you! Although, *cough*, at mid-thigh they're still pretty small. My hair compacts really, really well. I have a small head, so they're not as big as they look, either. ;) Here's a...wrapped inside out bun (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/UnnamedGryffon/2008a/mar10_iowrap.jpg), or whatever one might call it, that's a full headshot with one of the starlites. I think I have two chinese buns with one of those in my updo album, both of which are done a bit loosely, so they didn't end up rather more compact things.

Also a note: With thinner hair, you'll be able to do updos sooner than most! :D So if you're not sure if you can do something yet, try it.

Curlsgirl
March 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I also second the Mei Fei sticks. They were my first sticks and I got the plain wooden ones. They are very polished and lightweight too.

For forks my favorite are the Sixtieth Street ones. They are very smooth and lightweight too and you can get any color or length you want too.

If you go to Claires be careful with the sticks if you get plastic they are very easy to break. I would not waste money on them myself. If I had the money I had spent on them at first I could buy myself a nice Greydog (which are my FAVORITE sticks now by far!)

embee
March 29th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I just won a hairstick on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CATSTYLE-Hair-Stick-Pin-Cocobolo-Hardwood_W0QQitemZ250228186299QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4 5225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sure hope I hear from the seller, as I'm planning to pay with money order, don't have PayPal. I need a mailing address!

I hope this is a nice stick, it looks like it will be really useful: good length, plain, sturdy, nothing to snag or catch.

IMHO sticks are the best.

Is the seller a member here? Any experience with this seller?

Rae~
March 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Yes, that is CatstyleMBelleK. I haven't bought any of her items, but I know others have. :)

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ohh not to worry, it'll work out :)

Nice stick!!

loves2spin
March 29th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I have reached APL and Im thinking maybe I can try a few updos with a stick or fork. The problem is my hair is so fine and thin I cant use the longer ones. My bun is so small it just looks funny so much sticking out. Any recommendations I think it would have to be lighter weight to maybe.

Have you ever had any Amish hair pins yet? They are wonderful! Here is a link where you could buy some. They are quite far down on the page:

http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/headcoveringfile.html

wendyg
March 29th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Forkwise, 60th St often sells short two-pronged ones.

wg

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
60thstreet will make a custom sized fork for you even. You are not bound to what appears on the net. :)

aprilmay
March 29th, 2008, 12:30 PM
When you put the stick through your bun, push the stick through some of your hair on the other side that is not part of the bun and that will help hide the stick and anchor your hair.

missy60
April 4th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I just wanted to update everyone I finally got some chopsticks just last night. I have one question do you break apart the chopstick and make two out of the one or leave them together?

I am really excited again about gaining some length I think I was getting in a rut lately and thinking about chopping. I have gotten some really excellent ideas on hair toys that are within my budget. I have bought several of the cheap plastic ones and hate how most of them look so big and bulky in my hair.

I think for now I will get one fork, and one set of sticks (after I decide with the chop sticks what length I want)and the amish pins. Im glad they were at the bottom of the website I just loved looking at the bonnets it was so interesting to see all the different styles of head coverings.

loves2spin
April 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I just wanted to update everyone I finally got some chopsticks just last night. I have one question do you break apart the chopstick and make two out of the one or leave them together?

I am really excited again about gaining some length I think I was getting in a rut lately and thinking about chopping. I have gotten some really excellent ideas on hair toys that are within my budget. I have bought several of the cheap plastic ones and hate how most of them look so big and bulky in my hair.

I think for now I will get one fork, and one set of sticks (after I decide with the chop sticks what length I want)and the amish pins. Im glad they were at the bottom of the website I just loved looking at the bonnets it was so interesting to see all the different styles of head coverings.

I'm (we're) so glad you are feeling encouraged! Each stage in your hair growth will bring it's own needs and challenges. You'll go along minding your own business and all of a sudden your hair decides it's seriously "longer" than it was, and it will act differently. Then you'll have to figure out what to do. It's rather fun! And then, at least for some of us, there are the seasonal changes as our hair acts differently in response to the weather/heat/cold/humidity, etc. For me, I think of it as my hair's "moods" :crazyq:. Just yesterday I saw a photo that was taken of me 2 years ago. I could hardly believe it! My hair was REALLY short! :eek: I have made myself one of the forks out of a double pointed knitting needle. The instructions I found on the "old" LHC site said to bend it over a door knob - well, the stem of a door knob. It worked very well, and that is my favorite "casual" thing to do with my hair for day to day doing chores, etc. I would like to look for some with some prettier colors. Enjoy the journey! :cheer: