PDA

View Full Version : Are the tips of Amish pins irritating?

venividibxtchy
January 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
If someone could give me a heads-up before I purchase some, it would be appreciated.

I am the type of person who can tell immediately if a bobby pin has worn off its protective edge. Do the Amish pins have these coated tips? If so, do they come off easily?

MandaMom2Three
January 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
No they don't. I HATE bobby pins because the coating always starts to wear off and then they catch my hair :( . Amish pins have no coating but they are so smooth they don't catch. I LOVE Amish pins!

venividibxtchy
January 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
No they don't. I HATE bobby pins because the coating always starts to wear off and then they catch my hair :( . Amish pins have no coating but they are so smooth they don't catch. I LOVE Amish pins!

Thanks! Yes, the ends catch on my hair, as well, and come out with three strands attached.

Queenie
January 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Don't hesitate to buy some! I've been using mine daily (well, at least nightly) for years now, they're indestructible! Best hair related buy ever.

rymorg2
January 18th, 2009, 04:28 AM
For me, not just the tips but the whole pin is irritating, but I can't wear metals.

I did like the way they held though and if you don't have metal sensitivities they work well.

Carolyn
January 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
They shouldn't be irritating unless as mentioned before you have a metal sensitivity. I've been very happy with my Amish pins. The tips are well rounded off with no plastic coating that will flake off. Don't be afraid to order some.

ktani
January 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
If someone could give me a heads-up before I purchase some, it would be appreciated.

I am the type of person who can tell immediately if a bobby pin has worn off its protective edge. Do the Amish pins have these coated tips? If so, do they come off easily?

FYI, re metal pins in general, I use roller pins to hold my hair up. Just one does it for me. I coat them in nail hardender, to prevent rust and the coating from coming off, Sally Hansen Teflon Tuff. It is acrylic based and works perfectly to protect from roughness too.

Jeni
January 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
roller pins?

I was thinking about getting some Amish pins but I'm slightly worried about having an issue with the metal (nickel allergy like whoa). Didn't even think about painting them with clear nail polish, that's what I do with my fakkareas (or how ever you spell it)

joyfulmom4
January 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I really love Amish pins in every way except one. They hold super well. They are very strong and don't bend. The tips are smooth and rounded and go through hair easily w/o breaking it, but don't poke my scalp. They are easily removed w/o snagging on hair and pulling hairs out. They would be absolutely perfect. If only they were black or brown instead of silvery-steel colored. I hate that they show in my updos. I still wear them a lot but try to hide them. Since they do show, I still use roller pins for areas where the pins might be visible. They're not as nice as Amish pins, but it's a compromise.

Anyone know where I can get dark colored Amish pins???

MandaMom2Three
January 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I used to attend a church where the women wore cloth veils. I was really frustraited because I couldn't find white clippies to hold mine on, one of the ladies there said she just bought the metal ones and sprayed them with white shellac or something. Maybe you could do that to the pins!

ktani
January 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
roller pins?

Roller pins
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.symaksales.net/assets/Image/Product/detailsbig/k4156_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.symaksales.net/product.jhtm%3Fid%3D7452%26cid%3D9&usg=__WYgDNMRvPBYtsxLSMnDU_UAczSQ=&h=400&w=390&sz=30&hl=en&start=4&sig2=SXOBeot2HWRUFjaj0Y-ZuQ&um=1&tbnid=sIB6B82F327ZbM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=121&ei=uDl1SdLkOZeENce_uRw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2Broller%2Bpins%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

joyfulmom4
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I used to attend a church where the women wore cloth veils. I was really frustraited because I couldn't find white clippies to hold mine on, one of the ladies there said she just bought the metal ones and sprayed them with white shellac or something. Maybe you could do that to the pins!

Thanks for the idea. Maybe I'll try this.

Jeni
January 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
ktani - Oooo ok thanks. I have never heard of them being called roller pins, I just call them hair pins.

ktani
January 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
ktani - Oooo ok thanks. I have never heard of them being called roller pins, I just call them hair pins.

Either did I when I bought them, lol.

I just find that one keeps all of my hair up, in a modified french twist (used vertically, down the centre) and I also use one in the shower, to keep my hair pinned up, when I do my catnip treatment (that is partly why I use the acrylic coating, no rust and I created my own tips on them, that never come off).

lilmisspicky126
January 19th, 2009, 11:00 PM
You should be fine, providing you never lay on your bun and end up with the tips embedded in your scalp. (They are reasonably sharp.)

Curlsgirl
January 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I cannot say enough about Amish pins. It would be nice if they came in colors though. I find that it's pretty easy to hide them in my hair though.

lora410
January 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM
Mine were comfy but they didn't work for me so I gave them as a gift to another LHC'er

joyfulmom4
January 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM

Roller pins are just the same as the hairpins we refer to as "bobby pins". Only they are larger. I think there are different names for things in different regions. The word "hairpin" to me means a symmetric sort of pin that's kindof "V-shaped" with the two sides flaring apart. Whereas the bobby pins or roller pins have both sides closed together and one tip curves slightly up (see the roller pin pic). I like all of them for different things, though the standard sized bobby pins are pretty useless in my hair these days. I probably like the Amish hairpins best, but b/c they show up in my hair, I use the roller pins too. I bought other brown hairpins but they were too flimsy and got totally bent on the first use.

Jeni
January 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ah so roller pins are bobby pins. When I say hair pins I mean the v or u shaped pins, not bobby pins. I hate bobby pins, they never stay in my hair. I have the same issue with hair pins, they bend out of shape with one use. I may have to try the Amish pins....

Komao
August 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Is there a trick to using Amish pins? I'm always finding one on the floor. I can't seem to keep them in my hair. They tend to slip right out. I'm probably not doing something, correctly. Like bobby pins I just get a little piece of hair and secure. Perhaps you don't use them just like bobby pins? If I could just keep them in hair, I would really like them but afraid to wear out as I'll loose them all:confused:

Komao
August 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I just followed what ktani does and it seems to be holding up hair, fine. I think part of my problem is I'm trying to learn new up-do's and to use the Amish pins that I'm not accustomed to, all thumbs!

I still would appreciate other tips, just in case this doesn't hold:)

In2wishin
August 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Is there a trick to using Amish pins? I'm always finding one on the floor. I can't seem to keep them in my hair. They tend to slip right out. I'm probably not doing something, correctly. Like bobby pins I just get a little piece of hair and secure. Perhaps you don't use them just like bobby pins? If I could just keep them in hair, I would really like them but afraid to wear out as I'll loose them all:confused:

They don't work the same as bobby pins. When I secure my bun, I put the pin in the outer edge of the bun, perpendicular to the head (like you are going to shove the pin straight into your scalp). When it touches the scalp, I tip it so that it is now parallel to the scalp and push it in to the bun rocking it a little. You want to get both scalp hair and bun hair. I usually get scalp, bun, scalp, bun before the pin is fully pushed in. If you are using it for other types of styles, a similar principle applies: scalp hair and hair from the style both need to be in the pin, preferable alternating.

Anje
August 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Agreed -- don't use them like bobby pins. Look at how people use hair forks, maybe watch some videos on Youtube. Amish pins are just like mini-hair forks and should be used the same way.

ravenreed
August 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I also have a nickel allergy, but have no problem with the stainless steel Amish Pins.

roller pins?

I was thinking about getting some Amish pins but I'm slightly worried about having an issue with the metal (nickel allergy like whoa). Didn't even think about painting them with clear nail polish, that's what I do with my fakkareas (or how ever you spell it)

Komao
August 10th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Thank you so much In2wishin and Anje, I understand now and they seem to be holding really well:)

ravenreed
August 10th, 2013, 12:21 PM
If you still have trouble, try the crinkles. They never slide out of my hair.

Thank you so much In2wishin and Anje, I understand now and they seem to be holding really well:)

Komao
August 10th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that tip too, ravenreed:)

Mayihuan
August 12th, 2013, 03:06 AM
How many Amish pins would you use to secure a bun? I suppose it would depend on the size of your bun, but would as many be necessary as when using bobby pins? :)

ravenreed
August 12th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I usually use three, but I have the 3" ones. At most, four.

How many Amish pins would you use to secure a bun? I suppose it would depend on the size of your bun, but would as many be necessary as when using bobby pins? :)

Mayihuan
August 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I usually use three, but I have the 3" ones. At most, four.
Thanks! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this as another option. When I use regular pins I keep hearing them fall out of my hair, and/or having to regularly feel up my hairdo to push the would-be runaways back into place. :D

In2wishin
August 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM

I use anywhere from 1 to 3 (2 most often). Usually, the more humid the air is, the fewer I need because my natural curl kind of helps keep the bun in place.

ETA: I use the 2-1/2" ones.

kpzra
August 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I use 3-4 of the 2inchers if I'm going out and about. My hair is only BSL and there are a few layers left so it doesn't always behave. If it's wash day I can usually get away with 2. I also use these though, they are not as sturdy as others.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Assorted-Sizes-Hair-100-Pack/dp/B00759JJWE/

chen bao jun
August 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I found the long crinkled ones stay in my hair, but the short smooth ones shoot out.
They CAN hurt, if you poke them directly at your scalp or insert them so that they poke at your scalp, which is possible because as said above, you insert them like hair forks, not like bobby pins. But this is an insertion problem, not a problem with the pins. They do not rip hair out.
I also wish they made them in black, but they hold really well. I have a set of twelve and have never needed even half of that, while I can't tell you how many bobby pins I used to need to do the same hairstyles , and they didn't work. Roller pins, either. Other than being longer, I find roller pins just the same as bobby pins.
You can also decorate Amish pins. I get those buttons with the shank in back and slip the button on the Amish pin and then insert as usual. I got some buttons that look like golden leaves, I swear that they look like Bijoux Manoel in my hair. I also have other pretty buns that work well--roses, dragonflies and other nice high end looking metallic buttons. Gorgeous! (and solves the metal showing problem of the pins.) Of course its not a permanent decoration, but I like it that way.

kpzra
August 12th, 2013, 11:38 PM
To paint them you can use nail polish. If you get sick of that color you can also remove it. I used to have regular thicker metal ones I did that too but they got left in Alaska.

Mayihuan
August 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Thank you, ladies, for your estimates. Always better to have several opinions. :)

You can also decorate Amish pins. I get those buttons with the shank in back and slip the button on the Amish pin and then insert as usual. I got some buttons that look like golden leaves, I swear that they look like Bijoux Manoel in my hair. I also have other pretty buns that work well--roses, dragonflies and other nice high end looking metallic buttons. Gorgeous! (and solves the metal showing problem of the pins.) Of course its not a permanent decoration, but I like it that way.Oh that's clever!! :D I'll be borrowing this idea, too! :)