PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Question

PseudoScot
March 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I have a concern about privacy - how is it that when we are set to invisible, we can still be seen when someone clicks on our name and looks at our info they can see exactly what we're doing.

Ie, I'm set to invisble yet on my info [when you click my username] you can see that my current activity is:
Current Activity: Creating Thread Site Support (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

I find it strange that I can be invisible on LHC but on the visitor message tab, etc, I'm perfectly visible [and I assume even non members can see that bit].

Is there a setting that will make my info not show up? I don't mean to sound anti social but it's also nice to have privacy when viewing the boards.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think only you can see your status. If there's a * next to your name, it means you're invisible.

Denise
March 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
One thing I can say for sure is that unregistered guests cannot view profiles.

ETA:
Also, if you are set as invisible, your profile indicates that you are not online if a member clicks on it at any time, so your activity is not visible to them.

PseudoScot
March 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hmm...

I know being invisible doesn't show me on the list of those reading posts, etc - but from my profile when you click directly on it, you can see what I'm doing. So it's like I'm half invisible. Maybe I'm missing something.

ETA: Ie, I go to the main page of this forum and I'm not shown. But if you click on my name, you can see where I'm at. So I'm not really invisible.

And it is good to know that non members can't look at my profile. I appreciate that. I am just sorting out what the whole 'vistors' thing is about so was/still am a little confused over that. We're all new again LOL.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Assuming you're online now, I cannot see anything you're doing.

PseudoScot
March 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Really? Maybe it's just letting me see me then because, well, I'm me!

Mwuwhahaha. Snowbear, just for being so helpful I'm going to do nothing but invisibly follow you around.

I'm joking!!

Thank you for helping me sort that out. It's not that I am paranoid, I just like being able to pop in and out.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Really? Maybe it's just letting me see me then because, well, I'm me!

Mwuwhahaha. Snowbear, just for being so helpful I'm going to do nothing but invisibly follow you around.

I'm joking!!

Thank you for helping me sort that out. It's not that I am paranoid, I just like being able to pop in and out.
It's quite all right! I'm invisible, too. :)
I think you'll have to get in line for following me around, though. A fair few seem to be doing it, as well. Then again, I've been posting everywhere.

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I know being invisible doesn't show me on the list of those reading posts, etc - but from my profile when you click directly on it, you can see what I'm doing.

You can see what you're doing, because you can't be invisible to yourself. ;)

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
You can see what you're doing, because you can't be invisible to yourself. ;)
That's useful. I'd hate to never be able to see my reflection. :grin:

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'd hate to never be able to see my reflection. :grin:

Dunno... there are some days when it'd be nice to avoid my own reflection. :cool:

Raederle
March 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
What --- and miss the sight of that glorious head of head you've got dbf??

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Especially for that reason! Some days I just don't want to see my messy mop. ;)