PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

ladyashley
January 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
My hair is waist length and thick. I henna my roots every month. I wash 2-3 times per week, I just shampoo the roots, and condition the length. I try to be very careful when I do this to not tangle it, but every time I get out of the shower it is so tangled! I have had four babies in six years, and found out 6 weeks again I am pregnant again. I have already had a lot of hair loss from after babies being born, but then I started having massive shedding again about four weeks ago. It is starting to taper off now, but I am still losing more hair than I'd like, maybe because of the tangling issues out of the shower? I keep my hair braided most of the time, or up, hardly ever down. I had my ends trimmed about three months ago, but they look terrible again. I'm not sure why, as I haven't used any heat on my hair since trimming. I guess I just need some all around advice about what I can do to keep my hair from tangling so much in the shower. I would love to start doing a weekly conditioning treatment or something of the sort, but I am at a loss as to what would be best. Would someone mind walking me through the process of finding a really great hair routine for my hair?

NebraskaChick84
January 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
(((hugs))) I've had 3 babies in 3 years (are now waiting, or trying to) until next year sometime before we have our 4th and last baby. it sure does wreak havoc with my hair, by the time I'm ready to give birth my hair looks awful.

I started on the road to moisturizing my dry dry hair...right now the only thing I do is when I hop in the shower to wash my body (I'm sure you understand why that might be needed lol) instead of bunning my hair and trying to keep it dry I just condition it real quick.

I've also started oiling my hair...I've found that it works best if I apply it to dry hair a couple of hours before I shower (generally I oil it during the kids bath after dinner) and then shower as usual. it really did make a huge difference in my hair...it's much less tangled and I found that I'm losing a LOT less in the shower.

hth's

ps. I'm using extra virgin olive oil.

ladyashley
January 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Do you oil from scalp to the end, or just do the length of it? And about how much oil would you say you use?

Another problem I am having is pimples around my ears and neck, I guess where my hair is brushing up. I wash every 2-3 days, and would actually love to stretch that out farther, but it seems my scalp gets too oily and I break out. Any help for this?

Teazel
January 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
First off, I'd recommend you try scalp only washes to reduce the wear and tear on your length. That'll sort out your tangling issues straight away. :D There's an article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85) describing one way of doing it - I do it differently to Amoretti, but if you search around the forums you'll find info about it. This morning I did a scalp only wash under the kitchen tap: it took less than 5 minutes.

Have you tried using a clarifying shampoo? I think most hair issues can be sorted by stripping off buildup; then you can really assess what's going on.

Have you tried adding honey when you condition your length? It's a marvel for adding moisture, softness, and all good things.

Another savior of dry ends is damp bunning. Just mist the ends of your hair - or run them under a tap, even - then put your hair up in a style that covers the ends up. You can keep them damp for days on end, and they'll thank you for it.

That's all I can think of, right now. Good luck! :flower:

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
My sister has fine thin hair and is always complaining about how now that her hair is getting longer it always tangles. I asked her how she washes her hair...She uses shampoo and conditioner, but she aparently rubs her hands all over her head, therefor tangling her hair.

I'm not sure if this is your issue however.

Henna did cause my hair to tangle...Don't know if this could be the culprit.

Henna also dried my hair out.

I found the Loreal Vive hydrating conditioner for extremely dry damaged hair in the yellow bottle worked awesome to condition my hair. It's very thick and feels lovely. :) Smells like baby lotion. :)

Perhaps trim your ends again, and try damp buning for a bit to see if it helps. I like Dabur Vatika coconut oil as a leave in with damp buning. When my hair was long enough I would apply it to wet hair and twist it up in a hair clip all day. :)

lahondas
January 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe the shampoo you use is drying up your hair to the point it mats up and is tangled in shower after you rinsed it. Or maybe its just that your hair is changing, stress, diet?

I dont shampoo my hair at all, because it dries out and mats my hair. I get broken ends from it too.
I get this weird matting going on and its like my hair tangles in a birds nest and theres no undoing it.
Try putting in a oil right after you rinsed your hair. all though, and then rinse it also agian while rinsing you you finger comb your hair stright and untangle it this way. that seems to help me often. I used to use Ion Repair Solutions Hair Reconstructor Treatment (http://www.sallybeauty.com/damaged-hair-treatment/ION25,default,pd.html)
It seemed to make a smooth rinse, and made soft untangled hair right after i put it in, I could comb my hair perfectly right when i got out of the shower. I think its due to the polyquaternium. I am not sure. I am sure the other women have great ideas too.

ladyashley
January 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Thank you so much for all of the ideas! I am going to get to work on some of these! Keep them coming.

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Here (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod3954997&CATID=304646&skuid=sku3953846&V=G&ec=frgl_535686&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3953846) is the conditioner I was talking about. :)

sibilum
January 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
How about CO washing?

Hue
January 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I may have missed it, but how much detangling do you do before you get the hair wet with anything?

I was just fingercombing before washing, but I found that using a comb removed more shed hairs than I realized were still caught in my length. That helped me a lot, although of course, it may not be one of your problems.

HairColoredHair
January 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
How do you wash your hair? Upright, upside down? Do you comb in the shower? Do you comb before the shower? Do you rub with a towel or turban or something else?

ladyashley
January 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I take my braid out and completely detangle with a comb before I get in the shower. Then I wash my scalp only with shampoo, trying really hard not to agitate it. Then I condition the length and leave the conditioner in while I wash up/shave. Then I rinse it out, still trying not to agitate it. I do not comb in the shower. I squeeze the water out of the length carefully, and then wrap it in a towel. I was thinking it might be the towel tangling it, but it is already pretty tangled before it ever gets to the towel. It's so long and so thick that I really do need to put it into the towel or it will take half the day to dry and the back of my shirt would be soaked.

As soon as it is about half way dry I comb it out again and then braid it, and don't touch it again until the next morning when I comb it out and re-braid it.

ladyashley
January 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have tried CO, but I get super terribly greasy! I do have wavy/curly hair when it is treated correctly, and I have tried the curly girl routine so many times, but I could never get past 7 days not using shampoo, it would just get disgusting! I also already have problems as it is getting pimples around my ears and the nape of my neck from only washing my hair every 2-3 days.

NebraskaChick84
January 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Do you oil from scalp to the end, or just do the length of it? And about how much oil would you say you use?

Another problem I am having is pimples around my ears and neck, I guess where my hair is brushing up. I wash every 2-3 days, and would actually love to stretch that out farther, but it seems my scalp gets too oily and I break out. Any help for this?
I have my oil in a pump bottle (from avon for general uses) it ends up being enough to almost drip off my hands...about 3-5 times. I make sure the ends are saturated and the canopy (top) is moist. then I bun the whole thing with a scrunchie or a couple of elastics.

ETA: can't help with the pimples as I rarely get those, good luck!

HairColoredHair
January 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I take my braid out and completely detangle with a comb before I get in the shower. Then I wash my scalp only with shampoo, trying really hard not to agitate it. Then I condition the length and leave the conditioner in while I wash up/shave. Then I rinse it out, still trying not to agitate it. I do not comb in the shower. I squeeze the water out of the length carefully, and then wrap it in a towel. I was thinking it might be the towel tangling it, but it is already pretty tangled before it ever gets to the towel. It's so long and so thick that I really do need to put it into the towel or it will take half the day to dry and the back of my shirt would be soaked.

As soon as it is about half way dry I comb it out again and then braid it, and don't touch it again until the next morning when I comb it out and re-braid it.

Perhaps comb it or fingercomb it whilst it is soaking in conditioner? The conditioner helps protect the hair and adds lots of detangling help. :)