PDA

View Full Version : Hair and magick

jera
January 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was just thinking how whenever I've read about or seen wizards, sorceresses, enchantresses, witches, nymphs etc. represented in books movies or art, they're always shown having long flowing tresses. Even the men (wizards) have manes any woman would envy. :p

So what's the connection between long hair and magick? :rolleyes:

WindowDressing
January 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I was just thinking how whenever I've read about or seen wizards, sorceresses, enchantresses, witches, nymphs etc. represented in books movies or art, they're always shown having long flowing tresses. Even the men (wizards) have manes any woman would envy. :p

So what's the connection between long hair and magick? :rolleyes:

AND they have "fairytale ends" for hemlines, don't they?

Part of why I think people equate that with unkempt or inferior. In addition to wearing one's hair down as opposed to bound in an updo.

JMHO.

Funny stuff. :D

Hugs,
WD :)

Fairlight63
January 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I read once in book history of long hair that they thought that it gave them "magical power" having long hair.

Bene
January 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
i think the belief was that practitioners of magic were either old or somehow closer to nature.

images of older people, old man time, methuselah, the old lady with a million cats, they always have long hair. so wizards who are generally older people, they have long hair. maybe long hair is in part a symbol of advanced age.

also, the nature thing. nymphs, and witches are connected to nature in one way or another. there's the uses of natural herbs and a reverence for the elements. long hair has been used to symbolize that connection.

i don't think either one of those meant to represent them as sloppy or dirty in any way.

but remember, all the princesses (except for snow white, and really she was squatting with a bunch of dwarves, so i don't think she counts) had long hair. long shiny thick hair, symbolizing health and fertility.

in a lot of literature the hair is a symbol of a woman's sexual power. it's loose as a little girl, it goes up when she comes of age. possibly because of it's attraction on a mature woman, it would akin to a woman showing off the goodies.

so i think in terms of fairy tales and myths, only middle aged women didn't have long hair :D

WindowDressing
January 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I read once in book history of long hair that they thought that it gave them "magical power" having long hair.

Like the story of Samson.

WindowDressing
January 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
i think the belief was that practitioners of magic were either old or somehow closer to nature.

images of older people, old man time, methuselah, the old lady with a million cats, they always have long hair. so wizards who are generally older people, they have long hair. maybe long hair is in part a symbol of advanced age.

also, the nature thing. nymphs, and witches are connected to nature in one way or another. there's the uses of natural herbs and a reverence for the elements. long hair has been used to symbolize that connection.

i don't think either one of those meant to represent them as sloppy or dirty in any way.

but remember, all the princesses (except for snow white, and really she was squatting with a bunch of dwarves, so i don't think she counts) had long hair. long shiny thick hair, symbolizing health and fertility.

in a lot of literature the hair is a symbol of a woman's sexual power. it's loose as a little girl, it goes up when she comes of age. possibly because of it's attraction on a mature woman, it would akin to a woman showing off the goodies.

so i think in terms of fairy tales and myths, only middle aged women didn't have long hair :D

I didn't mean that there was anything dirty, what I meant is that gypsies and magickal folks were confronted with the Crusaders etc. and myths were created to demean them, that's all.

It isn't reality, just propaganda. You can find stories about it, but specifically just think about the stupid Salem witch hunts.

That is the most recent witchcraft idea I think of at the moment.

Hugs,
WD :)

Wavelength
January 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
It also has to do with knot magic. There are stories of witches who "tied the winds" in a knot, usually made of their hair, as a form of weatherworking magic. Then when they released their hair, the wind they tied would be free to blow.

Sailors would buy cords of human hair with knots in them to release on their ships, in the belief that this would bring fair winds. (Since it was considered bad luck to have a woman on board, this is how they got around it.)

From that belief came the idea that witches potentially held lots of different spells tied in their hair, and letting their hair down meant they were spellcasting. It's a short jump from that to making women cut their hair in order to break their "power".

Possibly this line of thought had its beginnings in Norse society, when women's hair was occasionally used to make emergency bowstrings for archery. In Njall's Saga (an Icelandic saga), chapter 48, Gunnarr asks his wife for two long locks of her hair, which he intends to braid into a bowstring after the string he was using snapped. She refuses on the grounds that he once slapped her and humiliated her. Because of the lack of bowstring, according to the saga, Gunnarr was killed by his enemies.

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
It also has to do with knot magic. There are stories of witches who "tied the winds" in a knot, usually made of their hair, as a form of weatherworking magic. Then when they released their hair, the wind they tied would be free to blow.

Sailors would buy cords of human hair with knots in them to release on their ships, in the belief that this would bring fair winds. (Since it was considered bad luck to have a woman on board, this is how they got around it.)

From that belief came the idea that witches potentially held lots of different spells tied in their hair, and letting their hair down meant they were spellcasting. It's a short jump from that to making women cut their hair in order to break their "power".

Possibly this line of thought had its beginnings in Norse society, when women's hair was occasionally used to make emergency bowstrings for archery. In Njall's Saga (an Icelandic saga), chapter 48, Gunnarr asks his wife for two long locks of her hair, which he intends to braid into a bowstring after the string he was using snapped. She refuses on the grounds that he once slapped her and humiliated her. Because of the lack of bowstring, according to the saga, Gunnarr was killed by his enemies.

That's really interesting! :)

jera
January 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I think you're right Bene, about their close connection to nature and knowledge of herbs having something to do with hair their length and/or beauty and power.

This subject fascinates me for some reason. :D

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
i think along the lines of Hippies- natural and free . All the pics i ever seen of my mom and her friends had waist length hair..

those stories are really neat. interesting topic btw

LanaMonsoon
January 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I remember as a child being told that a woman with long hair is a sign of her power. I don't know why but, that was this person's belief.

SimplyLonghair
January 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The original witches were supposed to be long haired redheads. That is why many in the UK dislike gingers.:( I know that people also thought that you could use hair in potions against someone. So strong wizards didn't cut and let someone use the trimmings against them.:cool:

Eryka
January 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
In the traditions of Voodoo/Houdon/Santeria, the best way to work something on a person is by a piece of hair. The logic is that hair comes from your head, your head contains your brains and all your thoughts. So by way of sympathetic magick, a strand of hair is a fraction of your brain. Furthermore, this allows the practioner to either take thoughts from you or add new ones in. The strand of hair is considered a skeleton key to your mind, ie. your life.

Elenna
January 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Fin Raziel of Willow is my hair goddess.

Pre-Raphaelite artists (Waterhouse, Rossetti, Hunt, etc.) painted long-haired damsels as mythological creatures like nymphs, mermaids, witches, angels, etc.

Eryka
January 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
John Collier did Lillith

<---- (Then again, I'm partial)

inspiral
January 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
i posted on a similar thread recently. i find this subject fascinating. here is a link about the native american spiritual beliefs on hair:
http://www.manataka.org/page1936.html
one belief is that hair is like a divine antennae, therefor the longer the antennae, the greater the ability to receive information psychically. it is also believed that hair is a physical extension of your thoughts, and in a highly enlightened being such as a High Priestess, Mystic, Sage, Goddess, Wizard, Angel, etc whose thoughts are pure divine love, their hair would be glorious! some qoutes from the website above:
"The more pure and sacred your thoughts, the longer, healthier, and vibrant, your hair....Your hair is just one way of indicating to others another conviction you carry throughout your lifetime. When the color of your hair changes, naturally, that means you have been Elevated, by God. You have more responsibility in and for Life. You were given a sacred color of hair to wear and you were never to bleach (whiten) or dye your hair. Even the word dye/die when used for coloring states the death or divination of a God-given thought and purpose. Dying (destined for death) ones hair places your desires before the thoughts of God. Bleaching ones hair to change spiritual status, does not make one an Elder or Pre-dating Spirit, for you are born who you are, chosen, and elevated by God, not by Mankind. In Native ceremony when ocher and hennas were used on hair it was understood that it was for a Sacred purpose and Spirit (God) inspired, and the natural color would naturally return. The act of cutting your hair is the cutting off of the flow of thought. You actually sever away past thoughts from future deeds. Cutting your hair usually occurs when one chooses to make a major change in ones life, putting past misdeeds behind them, and beginning a new/knew life. In Native teachings many tribes cut their hair during [or after] the mourning process, which symbolizes the deep wound to ones sensibilities caused by the piercing hurt of a loved ones passing.....Even the time of cutting your hair is important, for all things need to be in harmony with the natural rhythm and flow of the Universe. Cutting old thoughts, harvesting full grown ideas, cutting all ties, is best on the Full Moon. For fresh starts, like the planting time, for new seeds of thought, or for the trimming, pruning and monthly maintenance, we cut our hair by the light of the New Moon, so it will grow thick and quick....Braids symbolize Oneness and Unity. The flowing strands of hair, individually weak but when joined together in Oneness, physically demonstrate the Strength of Oneness; "One Mind, One Heart and One Soul", the Song of the Uni-verse [uni=one, verse=song, universe=one song], and the Sacred thoughts you are to hold. There are times to wear the hair braided and times to let it flow free, different times to demonstrate your harmony with the flow of life and to demonstrate your thoughts of Oneness to others."
:meditate::heartbeat:sun:blessings!:sun::heartbeat :magic:

Pegasus Marsters
January 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Actually as far as I'm aware they never stated the length of Snow White's hair... everyone assumes it's short based on the Disney interpretation. The only fairytale I can remember them specifying hair length in is Rapunzel. Here's a popular depiction of Snow White showing longer hair. (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/kekeith/myspace%20pics/snow_white_tarrant.jpg)

I don't think the Disney depictions hold much sway on the original fairytales. Disney are hardly known for their accuracy.

(Disclaimer: As most people here should know I LOVE the Disney movies.... I just don't think they really belong in a discussion about fairytales as they're so inaccurate.)

Also we should think about the fashions of the time when the tales were originally written (Or at least the variations we refer to today)... short hair on women is a very modern thing.

spidermom
January 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hair is an expression of personal power. To cut it is to diminish that power.

GlassEyes
January 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hair is an expression of personal power. To cut it is to diminish that power.
If you place the power in it being LONG, as opposed to it being short and/or styled, then yes. Otherwise, not really. Even with magical things.

That said, I would loveto look like I'm some sort of fantasy creature with long hair. :P And I do find that most fantasy characters with any sort of 'power' do have long hair, as far as women at least.

Pegasus Marsters
January 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
That said, I would loveto look like I'm some sort of fantasy creature with long hair. :P And I do find that most fantasy characters with any sort of 'power' do have long hair, as far as women at least.

Sephiroth.

Nuff said. :lol:

vampodrama
January 18th, 2009, 01:08 AM
this is a very interesting thread.

long hair has also been viewed as the sign of freedom - free people would have long hair, slaves had their heads shaved in ancient nordic societies, possibly other cultures too. the presence of long, flowing, loose hair on witches, wizards, wisemen and -women could show that they are in a way free from a lot of boundaries we know in this world.

jera
January 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
this is a very interesting thread.

long hair has also been viewed as the sign of freedom - free people would have long hair, slaves had their heads shaved in ancient nordic societies, possibly other cultures too. the presence of long, flowing, loose hair on witches, wizards, wisemen and -women could show that they are in a way free from a lot of boundaries we know in this world.

That's true vampodrama. Shaved / shorn heads used to be a sign of slavery. In the Old Testament of the bible the Isrealites were instructed to shave the heads and pare the fingernails of captured peoples who were to become their slaves. :(
And of course, everybody knows the story of Samson and Delilah. When she sheared his hair off he lost his strength. Eeww.

Eryka
January 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
"The more pure and sacred your thoughts, the longer, healthier, and vibrant, your hair

Personally, I have not found that to be true. My hair looked the best when me and my life were completely screwed up.

RavennaNight
January 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I remember as a child being told that a woman with long hair is a sign of her power. I don't know why but, that was this person's belief.

And this must be where all those jealous women who tell us to cut our hairs to look better/our age/stylish/etc come from. Folks, I think we have got the logic figured out now!

Arriens
January 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Shaved / shorn heads used to be a sign of slavery. In the Old Testament of the bible the Isrealites were instructed to shave the heads and pare the fingernails of captured peoples who were to become their slaves. :(

The first great country were short hair was common for everyone was the roman kingdom.
If you look at the history of it, you will learn that to become a great kingdom it allowed many prisoners and slaves from neighbour regions in its own region to become full of skilled people. These skilled people brought all the known technoligies from the entire region to rome, where it got used to become the great nation we know from history.

So it was the only region where short hair was common, due to its history. And the people from conquered areas where considered barbarians for there uncut hair.

I really can't find any sources to back up my story, but its based on a show I once say on the discovery/history channel. Sorry. :/

Feline
January 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
In warlike societies such as the Romans, men kept their hair short to fit under helmets better. Even today, new recruits still have their hair cut severly short, and must keep it at a regulation length afterwards. Slaves inevitably had their hair short or completely shorn. Women in ancient patriarchal societies generally had longer hair, but kept it up and/or covered. Some authorities claim the Roman Vestal Virgins had their hair cut off when they entered the service of Vesta, but as surviving portraits are few and inevitably show them veiled, the question remains open. St Paul wrote that long hair was a woman's glory, but that she should keep it covered "because of the angels". Exactly what he meant by this is debatable. Maybe he thought that mortal women should not try to compete with angels?

jera
January 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM
In warlike societies such as the Romans, men kept their hair short to fit under helmets better. Even today, new recruits still have their hair cut severly short, and must keep it at a regulation length afterwards. Slaves inevitably had their hair short or completely shorn. Women in ancient patriarchal societies generally had longer hair, but kept it up and/or covered. Some authorities claim the Roman Vestal Virgins had their hair cut off when they entered the service of Vesta, but as surviving portraits are few and inevitably show them veiled, the question remains open. St Paul wrote that long hair was a woman's glory, but that she should keep it covered "because of the angels". Exactly what he meant by this is debatable. Maybe he thought that mortal women should not try to compete with angels?

That's true, Feline. The Romans wore their hair short because they were a militariistic society and short hair fit better under helmets.

I don't believe that heathens/barbarians were considered such because of their long hair exclusively. And as for success in conquest, who was more feared in those times than that famous long hair Attila the Hun? :D

Long hair definitely equals power in my estimation.