PDA

View Full Version : Stringy hair question

Amara
January 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hi all! I think I am in need of a routine change, or a clarifying wash, or something.

Here's the situation.

I have been washing with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars for almost a year now. I really like the cafe moreno bar, and the marshmallow babasu one has been great for dry hair. I've tried a few others, too, and always come back to these two. Over the summer I was using the marshmallow one constantly and my hair got really over-moisturized - stringy and oily looking even right after a wash. So I know how that works. I rinse with ACV and a smidge of Vo5 extra body conditioner in a bit glass of water as my final rinse.

Recently, I've noticed the same thing (stringy, oily looking hair), and I've lain off the marshmallow bar completely (I had been using it every 3rd wash or so because the winter was making my hair staticy and dry feeling). It hasn't helped. The hair near my scalp seems very clean and fluffy after a wash, but the lower half or so never looks fluffy and clean. I've also cut down on the amount of conditioner in my final rinse (already pretty minimal - now it's like a tsp in a huge 30 oz glass of water - without it my hair is hard to separate and comb through when it's mostly dry). That hasn't helped either. It's gotten to the point where I won't wear my hair down at all because it just looks too oily. I used to do coconut oil on the ends right after a wash - just a tiny bit... but now I don't do that either anymore because it makes it even worse!

Last night I tried a CO wash - no shampoo bar. I loaded conditioner (vo5 still) all over my scalp through the ends, scrubbed it in real good, sat with it a bit, and then rinsed forever. This produced a bit of improvement but it's still not as clean and fluffy looking as it was getting up to a month or so ago.

So, is it still getting too much moisture from somewhere? Is it build up from the poo bars... like, moisture build-up? Perhaps I should only use those every other wash.

I've been letting it down to dry after a wash (2 times per week or so) so it dries quicker... that doesn't help. I do teach 11 hours of dance a week and get pretty sweaty most days... but washing more frequently (I tried that for a couple of weeks) didn't seem to help much either.

It's to the point where I'm ready to use an SLS shampoo just once to see if that helps to clarify... then maybe I can go back to my old routine? Is that wise? What other options could I use? Is there another kind of clarifying wash that might help?

Thanks ladies!

LaurelSpring
January 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I would and have done an SLS when I got a case of the stringys. I keep one of the natural ones ( I think its Nature's Gate) on hand as a back up.

LaurelSpring
January 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh I forgot to ask if you tried baking soda. That works well for rme also.

Amara
January 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
What would be a "natural" one as opposed to other? I used to use JASON's... might that work? SLS seems so harsh sounding now but I used do it all the time... :D

I tried a baking soda wash once and it didn't really do much as I recall. I will try that tomorrow night before I go buy shampoo.

GlassEyes
January 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'd clarify. SLS shampoos are the easiest way, I believe, but there are other alternatives in other shampoos you can clarify with, some being natural, which is what she means, I think.

Elphie
January 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I would clarify my hair at that point. It sounds like you've tried to remedy the situation a few different ways and they haven't worked out.

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yup, definitely sounds like it's time to clarify! If a shampoo is cone-free it could still be suitable, even if it isn't labelled as "clarifying". I have found this to be slightly gentler but still perfect for the job!

Kirin
January 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
The way you describe your hair is how my hair was with poo-bars from day one. They of course, did not last in my arsenal.

girlcat36
January 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
For me, stringy hair means it's time to clarify. I have succesfully used baking soda. A teaspoon in 20 oz of water poured over my hair. You have to condition well after.