PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your hair smooth?

Dez
January 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Ok so my hair has always dried as a big poof ball, unless I put something on it so when it dries it keeps it's waves/curls. I thought it was because my hair was dry.
I CO now and my hair is soft, I wouldn't call it dry anymore. But it STILL dries poofy. Am I doing something wrong? Is that just part of having wavy/curly hair? What do you do to keep your hair smooth?

zen_oven
January 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Dez,

I use a few different things to keep my hair smooth since I, too, experience the poofball phenomenon after washing. :D I use Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment sometimes, on my damp hair after a wash or just a fingernail full on dry hair. I tend to oil my hair with jojoba oil at night, which also helps. Either one of those should work--jojoba oil will be the cheaper option in this case. For either, you don't need to use a lot at once! Just a little will do--a fingernail full of Ojon as I mentioned, or just enough jojoba oil to give you a very sheer coating of it on your palms before applying.

Something I use on my non-wash days is Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). This is something you can make at home with a few ingredients and a spray bottle. Just follow the link for the recipe. I spray that on dry hair--it gives it some moisture, gets rid of "bed head" in the morning, and tames my frizzies.

Hope these help!

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I wait till my hair is almost dry and then rub in some Dabur vatika coconut oil or Dabur amla hair oil in. I start with small amounts and keep adding as needed. Otherwise my hair poofs out as well. :)

howsitgrowin'87
January 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I have struggled with poofy hair my whole life too. It's so frustrating, because when you comb it right after a shower and it's so smooth, it makes you think it will stay that way when it dries. I didn't see a real change in my hair's "poofyness" till I started using jojoba oil as a leave in.

All I do is wrap my hair in a towel for 15 minutes and then take it out to comb it. Then I take my jojoba oil (bought it at a local health food store for like $8, the golden kind because it's unrefined and jojoba oil is similar to our hairs natural sebum) and I only put about 2 or 3 drops in my palm, rub them together and spread on the ends first then up the hair. This seems to have helped my poofyness disappear! I also put it on if my hair feels a bit dry, and after awhile when it absorbs in, it's super soft. But be sure not to over oil!

hope that helps!:)

Dez
January 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
thanks! i'll need to pick up some supplies this weekend. I have the aloe gel, just need everything else. LOL

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I tried aloe gel once but it didn't do much for my hair. Everyone's different I guess. Some people get along great with aloe. :)

manderly
January 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I put a bunch of coconut oil and leave in in my hair after I take it out of the towel otherwise I get a poof :)

I use Giovanni Direct (about quarter/silver dollar size) and 5-7 drops of coconut oil rubbed together and massaged into my hair and combed. It's important for me to go all the way up to the top of my hair becauase I have a poofy crown :)

Rohele
January 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've got poofy hair too.

I've been controlling it with jojoba oil (a little bit when my hair is slightly damp), and by trying to add moisture in various ways (mine is poofy and dried out). Using a little bit of product for defining wavy/curly hair has helped me considerably with the poof factor as well.

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
My :twocents:! I use about a tablespoon of aloe, half a teaspoon of glycerin and a few drops of coconut oil (AGO mix) after washing when it's wet/damp. Works like a dream :cloud9: I also use a little coconut oil between washings. Perfick!

lahondas
January 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I have naturally curly wavy hair that poofs and does a roster thing, volume is very high on my hair!! I am mixed so my curls are the standard wild curls until i help them out.
all i need is some wind and boom my curls are in peoples faces! If you want a quick fix, aloe vera gel, plain kind no added crap.
You can do a mix for when your on the go and need to hurry put soemthing in, 2 tbsp hair oil of choice, 1/2 cup aloe vera gel, and 10 spritzes of the aphogee spray, few drops of avena sativa extract (alcohol free). stir well then apply to area needed and brush through gently
you may need more of the spray and less of the oil depending on your hair type.

Dez
January 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
thanks guys, i'll start experimenting. I have coconut oil on hand so that will be my first experiment. I'd also like to try the de frizzing spray. I used to use a hair serum that i liked when my hair was longer, that sometimes helped, not always. I'd like to be a little more natural with my hair though now that i'm growing it. more natural than commercial hair serum...

RocketDog
January 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I find that my hair stays unpoofy best if I do a heavy oiling before I CO-wash, since I usually end up not messing with the length too much, so the oil stays in. Enough rinses out to keep my hair from looking gunky-clumpy, but the leftover oil keeps the curls defined and super-shiny!