PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut - that is the question? Please, help me to make a good decision.

SafoByMengin
January 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Okay guys...Maybe it's not the best place to ask question like this, because on the long hair forum everybody love LONG hair and trying to hit one of maximum length...But I decided to share my doubts with you, because you all are so nice and helpful. Maybe you'll try to be as much objective as you can and advice me...I will be very thankful:blossom:

My problem is: the length. I'm a very impulsive person who love changes. I LOVE long hair and would like to hit hip length maximum, probably waist would be better for me. But...I'm not sure if long hair really fit to me...

I'm short - long and short hair is okay. I'm slim - probably short hair looks better. I've got oblong face - is that mean short? But this is very generalizing. You can tell what looks better and why only when you see someone...

My hair is APL now. I'm 22 years old. I spent 8 months on growing and now I'm tired of it. From a few weeks I'm thinking about cutting it. My hair is more wavy than curly in the winter. I'm not a big fan of updos - maybe I should think about it? I can't have hair without layers, because without layers I've got really flat top of the head and I think I'm lookin better with many hair around my face. I've got really lot of hair, but as it gets longer it is heavier...(...)

Another problem is that I have read so many forums even in my language and under the pressure of wanted LONG hair I really believe now, that only long hair can be sexy and feminine. It's first time in my life when I'm not follow my instincts (to cut!), because I took by heart everything positive by beautiful long hair. I've got vision of woman who walk in the sun with her shiny, long, beautiful hair and looking more attractive than any woman with short. It's kinda sick, don't you think? I've never looked at hair aspect like this and now I'm a little bit scary that forums changed my views so much...

As I remember, I always wanted long hair and never get it, because I always was impatient and just tired of having it long.

If you would like to advice me - please, put me on your friend lists and left a comment. I don't want to put here a public album with face:o But I made one wit my photos so you can see me and leave a comment. After that you can also clean me from your friend list;)

A cut that I love is the one in my awatar or something simmilar. Hope you'll have fun with virtual makeover advicing;)

Oh - if you choose which length will be better, please write me why. I have to make a good decision. All of my life all hairdressers wanted to cut my hair short (homosexualists and good hairdressers), because "you would look better". My sister adviced me short. I feel like...:rolleyes::meditate::doh::hmm::justy:

Take care!

lapushka
January 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM
If you would like to advice me - please, put me on your friend lists and left a comment. I don't want to put here a public album with face:o But I made one wit my photos so you can see me and leave a comment. After that you can also clean me from your friend list;)

Quick question for anyone who knows this for sure. Doesn't the "friends list" thingy work both ways, in that when we add SafoByMengin to our friends list, which she (as a newbie with 38 posts) asks of us, that we can then be added to her friends list - that way she will have acces to our private info, info that we reserve for "friends". If we add her, then all our info will be open to her, because all she needs to do is press the accept button on the friends list thingy.

Seems like a bizarre request from a newbie, with a strange enough reason.

Why not add pics of the back of your head to your sig? It's that simple! Why this call to friend you massively?

LaurelSpring
January 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
It sounds like you are at a plateau. Ive been there! I usually get like this at BSL. Its that awkward stage when you are feeling like your hair just doesnt do anything anymore and you cant figure out why. Thats when the cutting urge usually hits and its a very powerful urge.

I would say if you really want long hair you will need to push though it and not cut. Experiment with some new styles and updos etc.

It you cut, you will just be back to square one and have to start over. If you push through and hit your goal and then decide to cut at least you've been there done that and know and know.

In my experience I have never been happy with a cut....maybe a week or two but then I am sorry that I did it. I have done this enough times that this time I am not tempted.

lora410
January 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
honestly it take Patience to grow it. if you want change get the layers you want but keep growing. APL (last April) was an awkward unattractive length for me, but once you hit a good growth spurt you will be amazed. I say if you don't like it once you reach your goal then chop. If you want long hair with layers GO FOR IT. You either way need to be happy with your hair short or long. There are alot of people here with short hair that don't intend to grow. I am the type that needs change to so I experiment alot with recipes and henna is keeping me happy.

amaiaisabella
January 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
If you've never had long hair before, maybe you should take a picture of yourself and fiddle around on one of those "create your hairstyles" website, where you can photo edit the picture to show you with long hair. That might give you an idea of how you would look. If you like it, grit your teeth and get through this chop phase. If you don't, then you know you don't want to go longer, and do something different to perk up your hair. :)

SafoByMengin
January 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Quick question for anyone who knows this for sure. Doesn't the "friends list" thingy work both ways, in that when we add SafoByMengin to our friends list, which she (as a newbie with 38 posts) asks of us, that we can then be added to her friends list - that way she will have acces to our private info, info that we reserve for "friends". If we add her, then all our info will be open to her, because all she needs to do is press the accept button on the friends list thingy.

Seems like a bizarre request from a newbie, with a strange enough reason.

Why not add pics of the back of your head to your sig? It's that simple! Why this call to friend you massively?

Maybe my english isn't as good as english by people who are with it from the day of they birth, but I wrote clearly - it's about my face shape. How will you see it when I put photo with BACK of my head?:cool:

Sorry that I'm such an egoist - I think about myself not about viewing your profiles...

Oh my God - I didn't think some people can have such a paranoic ideas. Do you really think that I'm going to give you 7 or more of my face photos only to view photos of another members? I don't know what to say.

SafoByMengin
January 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
It sounds like you are at a plateau. Ive been there! I usually get like this at BSL. Its that awkward stage when you are feeling like your hair just doesnt do anything anymore and you cant figure out why. Thats when the cutting urge usually hits and its a very powerful urge.

I would say if you really want long hair you will need to push though it and not cut. Experiment with some new styles and updos etc.

It you cut, you will just be back to square one and have to start over. If you push through and hit your goal and then decide to cut at least you've been there done that and know and know.

In my experience I have never been happy with a cut....maybe a week or two but then I am sorry that I did it. I have done this enough times that this time I am not tempted.

Thank you very much for your advice:blossom:

honestly it take Patience to grow it. if you want change get the layers you want but keep growing. APL (last April) was an awkward unattractive length for me, but once you hit a good growth spurt you will be amazed. I say if you don't like it once you reach your goal then chop. If you want long hair with layers GO FOR IT. You either way need to be happy with your hair short or long. There are alot of people here with short hair that don't intend to grow. I am the type that needs change to so I experiment alot with recipes and henna is keeping me happy.

You're right. But I can't experiment so much with colouring, because I've got natural black hair and I like the colour. Only thing I'm experiment with is bang or layers. Braids and so on aren't really good for my hair, because of curls. I need a lot of patience which I don't have to make a braid - only simple updos such as buns works. I like a lot of hairstyles but not on my head:cool:

If you've never had long hair before, maybe you should take a picture of yourself and fiddle around on one of those "create your hairstyles" website, where you can photo edit the picture to show you with long hair. That might give you an idea of how you would look. If you like it, grit your teeth and get through this chop phase. If you don't, then you know you don't want to go longer, and do something different to perk up your hair. :)

It's a GREAT idea. Thank you. i'm going to search the net:)

lapushka
January 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Maybe my english isn't as good as english by people who are with it from the day of they birth, but I wrote clearly - it's about my face shape. How will you see it when I put photo with BACK of my head?:cool:

Sorry that I'm such an egoist - I think about myself not about viewing your profiles...

Oh my God - I didn't think some people can have such a paranoic ideas. Do you really think that I'm going to give you 7 or more of my face photos only to view photos of another members? I don't know what to say.

The request is an odd one from an newbie. That much is true. Nothing odd or "paranoic" about it. It's not a common request here at LHC, I've never seen a newbie want to try and do this. So it is odd in the least. I merely stated that. No need to get personal because of it.

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I think you should continue to grow your hair. Even though it's frustrating at times because it's at a length that seems impossible, like it will never get past it, keep growing. When you reach your goal you can always cut. It's much easier to cut it off than grow it out. :)

SafoByMengin
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
The request is an odd one from an newbie. That much is true. Nothing odd or "paranoic" about it. It's not a common request here at LHC, I've never seen a newbie want to try and do this. So it is odd in the least. I merely stated that. No need to get personal because of it.

How not to get it personal when you post it in my thread? If something isn't common it means that someone have bad intention?
Being a newbie means I have to prove that I don't have bad intention to ask someone to look at my photos which I don't want to put on public...? Why long-term member are easier to trust - it's an internet, anyone can create whatever they want and do whatever. That's why I made private album of my face.

Moderators know if I'm going to see someone's profile or if I'm not - they also see my photo album that truly exist.
But now I'm not sure if I want to share it, really.

EDIT:
OK, my album doesn't exist any longer. My request of "friend-list-to-see-it"is out of date now.

RocketDog
January 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I feel your pain - for the last six years, my hair was my outlet. Every time I got frustrated or bored or sad, I'd cut or dye it. It's taken a lot of patience to go even a few months without a cut or dyejob, and I totally understand how easy it is to want to give up.

What about cutting in a new layer (I love wispy layers on wavy/curly hair) or a face-framing fringe, or even using something like a henna or cassia gloss to change the color and improve the texture and manageability of your hair? That way you've got the instant-gratification feeling, but without sacrificing all of your hard-earned growth.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!!

physicschick
January 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
A note about the friend system: What Safo is suggesting won't work. If you add her as a friend, she can see your albums, but you won't be able to see hers. Safo, you need to add other people to your friend or contact list, and then those people will be able to view your album.

Anje
January 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Safo, the dilemma is really this: do you want to put in the time that it takes to have long hair. Like it or not, it's not something that can be done quickly, or changed on the fly -- long hair is about perseverance (or laziness about cutting). If you want to cut it into a new and radical shape every few months, you're going to have difficulty growing it out. We're happy to encourage you, but be aware that waist or hip length hair will take a while, though perhaps less time if you're short.

As far as flattering you goes, you'll find most of us don't put much stock in the "rules" of who can have long hair based on body and face shape. Heck, with my rather round face, I'm supposed to have hair hanging close to the sides to make it look narrower, but in reality, that just makes it look wider to me, while pulling it into an updo shows off the shape of the edges of my face and my prominent cheekbones. I tend to think that long hair, when well-kept, is flattering on just about everyone, but short hair can look really good on some people and really bad on others.

Beatnik Guy
January 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Anje's right. :agree:

Maybe it's not the best place to ask question like this, because on the long hair forum everybody love LONG hair and trying to hit one of maximum length
Uh huh. What are we going to say at a forum as biased as this one? :frog: