PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about wearing hair "down".

loves2spin
January 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I would like to be able to wear my hair down more when I get dressed up, but it seems that after a short while, it looks "disheveled" as my DH tenderly told me one day (and he is very kind and not at all critical, so don't be concerned.) I am a complete neophyte when it comes to "hair products". Is there something safe that I could put on my hair, that wouldn't make it crunchy that would help keep my hair looking a bit more like I had just brushed it?

naomimcc
January 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
The only way I have found to deal with that as I have the same problem is to lightly comb it /brush it once an hour or so.

If anyone else has any solutions I'd be open to hearing about them too! :D

Kebbster
January 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
The best thing I can suggest is to wear i down but with a headband, or with 2 small braids done at the front of your hair and tied together at the back, or just simply grabbing a small chunk from each side and clipping it at the back, you know like half up except its nowhere near half. That way your hair is still down but will move alot less.

I tend to do this otherwise Im combing it every hour, my wavy hair becomes a very scary sight when I wear it down all day without doing one of these things.

Copasetic
January 16th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I have the same problem, and I find that wearing it half up half down is really helpful. For days when I am wearing it completely down and it is starting to look crazy, I grab it all in one hand and twist it like I am about to put it up, then I let it go. It usually smooths out my hair nicely. The hard part is keeping my hands off of it afterward so I don't mess it up more, because my instinct is to always be fixing it.

MandaMom2Three
January 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I wear my hair down the day I wash and the next. After washing I brush in some Pantene Always Smooth Anti Frizz serum. My hair stays in place so nicely.

Anje
January 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
My advice is just to comb frequently. Or you can make sure it's back from your face and just let it go piece-y, if that's what your hair does. Mine gets like that really fast, and while I don't care for the look as much as fresh-combed (straight to slightly wavy) hair, I've found that other people like hair that forms strings and chunks.

Katze
January 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
yep, I comb too. It is hard to see in person when it goes stringy instead of piece-y, but photos definitely show strings!

It's also hard to remember to have a comb with you all the time.

I generally wear my hair down on the first couple days after a wash, and have some leave-in in the length (ears down) mixed with aloe or hair gel, which does seem to help. After days 2-3 it just goes stringy no matter what and that's when I start wearing it up (or half up).

spidermom
January 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I have to comb mine frequently also. I also drink a lot of water and need to have a bathroom break frequently, so I comb while I'm in the bathroom.

Elainehali
January 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm a CO person for the most part, but I know that my hair needs to be clairified when it starts to tangle and mat up in the back.

After a clairification it doesn't tangle as bad.

ktani
January 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time and the problem you describe, IMO, starts with washing/conditioning. If you have the right balance for you and a cut/trim that goes with your hair (you are not trying to fight your natural curl or waves), your hair should just fall into line.

I have had a trim that was in the middle of a wave pattern, ending up with my ends goiing the opposite direction of planned, lol but it quickly grew in.

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I too vote for combing! If you're quite forgetful you could buy an extra one to keep in your bag.

ktani
January 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I am not against combing. I finger separate instead, but when my hair was stringy in the past and I did comb it did not last long and reverted to stringy fast.

I no longer comb (except as described), and my hair no longer gets stringy. I just balanced my conditioning routine. I do not use leave-ins.

Sunshine69
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Your hair looks sort of wavy. If I want to wear my wavy hair down and have it look good for awhile, I will use hot rollers to set the curls/waves. This keeps my hair from looking frizzy or messy when I wear it down. Another thing I do that helps wear it down is this: when I go to bed at night, I part my hair down the back and separate it into two sections. I gently twist the section on the left in a spiral in the direction that the curls seem to want to go, and then I do the same with the other side but in the opposite direction. I sleep like this, and somehow they don't really come undone even with my tossing and turning in the night. It really helps the curls and waves to organize and hang nicely and keeps it from looking frizzy and messy, even if I don't comb or brush my hair all day.

ktani
January 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Another thing I do that helps wear it down is this: when I go to bed at night, I part my hair down the back and separate it into two sections. I gently twist the section on the left in a spiral in the direction that the curls seem to want to go, and then I do the same with the other side but in the opposite direction. I sleep like this, and somehow they don't really come undone even with my tossing and turning in the night. It really helps the curls and waves to organize and hang nicely and keeps it from looking frizzy and messy, even if I don't comb or brush my hair all day.

I like this idea a lot! My hair tends to do that anyway, lol. Adding that to my sleep routine should be easy.

zen_oven
January 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Combing helps me. I try to do it sparingly and very gently, but most of the time this is the only thing that tames the wildness.

joyfulmom4
January 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I still prefer to wear my hair down, even though I know it's better to protect it by wearing it up. I just love having it down. So I wear it down on days when I wash it.

For my hair which is wavy and thick, I get the best results by towel-drying and gently combing out, then allowing it to air-dry with a minimum of handling. I don't comb it or do anything at all with it for several hours after the initial combing out. Once it's dry or near dry, I will gently comb it again. I have tried finger combing, but for whatever reason, I get way more tangles and lose more hairs that way than when I use my hair pick. The hair pick works best for me to fluff and detangle my hair. Usually if I wash in the morning, I will do a comb-through around noon. Then I will comb out occasionally during the rest of the day, but not often. I might comb it 4-6 times in a day total when it's down. That includes a last comb out before I braid or bun for sleep. I find that if I comb too often, it starts to look frizzier through the length, but the top loses volume and looks flat on my scalp. If just the ends are starting to get too clumpy, I might just comb the ends a tiny bit. Misting with a touch of water helps revive my waves and get rid of frizz.

kdaniels8811
January 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I carry a comb with me and comb as needed. My hair gets tangly otherwise.

sandigirl
January 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I use 5 electric rollers on the botton fourth of my hair for about one minute right after I blo-dry right after washing/towel drying. That sets the ends to curve under. It also adds shine. When I wear it down I brush it at least once an hour.

Girltron
January 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I like to make sure it's nice and soft and slippy, comb it and brush it before I go out, and leave it strictly alone afterward. It'll get soft and fluffy a bit, and I run my hands through my hair a lot to keep it from falling into a part, but I let it do what it wants. If my hair's in good condition it shines nicely in dim light and I prefer a natural, tousled look.

That said, if I'm dressing up as in formal event, I wear a sleek bun every time.

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
i'll echo others here comb it out frequently- i remember in high school that was what we all did carry around a small travel brush or comb

manderly
January 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I carry a comb at all times :D

I am CONSTANTLY touching my hair.

I comb out tangles, then twist my hair into pigtails (per the article in my siggy) and shake them out. This removes tangles then revives my curl and wave pattern (combing sometimes ruins it, the twisting lets them clump happily back together).

loves2spin
January 17th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Your hair looks sort of wavy. If I want to wear my wavy hair down and have it look good for awhile, I will use hot rollers to set the curls/waves. This keeps my hair from looking frizzy or messy when I wear it down. Another thing I do that helps wear it down is this: when I go to bed at night, I part my hair down the back and separate it into two sections. I gently twist the section on the left in a spiral in the direction that the curls seem to want to go, and then I do the same with the other side but in the opposite direction. I sleep like this, and somehow they don't really come undone even with my tossing and turning in the night. It really helps the curls and waves to organize and hang nicely and keeps it from looking frizzy and messy, even if I don't comb or brush my hair all day.

How interesting! I will have to try that, as well as the half up ideas and the pantene product. I really appreciate all the input from you dear friends! ;)

manderly
January 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
How interesting! I will have to try that, as well as the half up ideas and the pantene product. I really appreciate all the input from you dear friends! ;)

Twisting can also help create more uniform waves and be used to refresh waves between washes. I've got a tutorial on it in my siggy under soft waves. It works quite well :D

loves2spin
January 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Twisting can also help create more uniform waves and be used to refresh waves between washes. I've got a tutorial on it in my siggy under soft waves. It works quite well :D

That looks so pretty. I will have to try and see if it will work for me!

sneakybea
January 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I don't have any advice, but I'll just let you know that I am in the same boat. On good days, my waves do a sexy, beachy, bedhead look, but on the bad, bushy and flyaway city! I'm definitely going to try some of the tricks people have shared in this thread!

MsBubbles
January 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time and the problem you describe, IMO, starts with washing/conditioning. If you have the right balance for you and a cut/trim that goes with your hair (you are not trying to fight your natural curl or waves), your hair should just fall into line.

I am totally in love with this idea and I hope it works. I am hoping that once my layers are grown out (got about 2 inches to go) and I can dust every 2 months or so, that my hair will look more 'together' when I wear it down, thus creating a healthier look, and will need less combing. I don't have any kinks at all so there's nothing for my hair to 'go with' other than straight downwards :).

A thought for the OP: not sure if anybody has mentioned the material your hair is rubbing against when you wear it down? Mine stays together more if I'm wearing silky, satiny type materials, rather than woolly or fleecy ones.

JamieLeigh
January 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
My favorite leave-in conditioner is a spray-on, Aussie Hair Insurance. When my hair is loose, and I feel it getting a little messy, I just spritz some into my brush and give it a going over. I usually only have to do this a couple of times during the day, if it's loose. Most of the time, I either wear it up, or if I start the day out loose, it ends up "up" at the end of the day. LOL. :p