PDA

View Full Version : Need help I hate my hair, should I cut my hair??????

janeytilllie
January 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I love my hair long, and i hated it short and made a promise to myself to never cut it again.

but......

I feel my hair is ugly and its not pretty and I hate it.

When i had it cut short I put layers in it! :( and now the ends look all funny.

I really want even hair. My plan was to grow my hair really long then cut it even when my shortest layer was waist length, its a very long way to go til then!

Should I still stick to that plan to keep growing? or is my hair really ugly and needs to be even now?

Heres some pics

My hair when I nine, this is how i want my hair to be again
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27979&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1

I dyed it, runied it,then cut it with layers :(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27980&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27982&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1

My hair August
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=27984&albumid=2286&dl=1230748368&thumb=1

my hair tonight

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=29280

Please help and be honest does it need cutting? and how much?

Its really bugging me and kinda getting me down, im in two minds about what to do.

Thanks everyone :)

OhioLisa
January 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
If you REALLY want an even hemline, I say get on a regular trimming schedule and keep trimming a bit every now and then until the shortest layer catches up. Now, in my opinion, is this necessary? Not at all! I think your hair looks fab! ;)

squiggyflop
January 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
i like it just the way it is.. you shouldnt go for what you had in childhood.. hair changes quite a bit during puberty.. my hair became courser and went from pin straight to wavy..
i think your your hemline is elegant and soft looking.. very feminine

Islandgrrl
January 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I vote with Lisa. If you really want a blunt hemline, cut half or even all of your monthly growth until you get the layers gone (or most of them, anyway).

But I think your hair looks fantastic just the way it is. :)

janeytilllie
January 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
If you REALLY want an even hemline, I say get on a regular trimming schedule and keep trimming a bit every now and then until the shortest layer catches up. Now, in my opinion, is this necessary? Not at all! I think your hair looks fab! ;)

Thank you :) i never thought of trimming a little at a time I think I might do that rather than cut it because i know I would deeply regret it. Thanks again :)

Oberon88
January 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I think it looks great! I am in the same boat trying to grow out my layers, so I know how frustrating that can be, but your hair is gorgeous.
Just get on a regular trimming schedule and before you know it those layers will be gone!
= )

jojo
January 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I love your hair as it is now, but if you really want a blunt hemline the I agree monthly dustings will help you achieve this. I started out last January with a V hemline and spent the best part of 2008 doing dustings on a monthly basis and now I have a blunt hemline which makes me feel happier with my hair, but like I said I think your hair is very pretty, looks floaty and romantic.

rags
January 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I think you hair is beautiful! I love the fairytale ends. If they really bother you though, I would trim just maybe half an inch or so and do that about every month until it gets more where you want it. But I do love the way it looks as is.

janeytilllie
January 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
i like it just the way it is.. you shouldnt go for what you had in childhood.. hair changes quite a bit during puberty.. my hair became courser and went from pin straight to wavy..
i think your your hemline is elegant and soft looking.. very feminine

Thank you, for the lovely compliments they cheered me up :). I should really stop looking into the past and trying to get my old hair back its proberly why I have so much dislkie my so much hair now. So I thnk I should stop trying to gain back what I had and try and accept my hair now. Thanks for pointing it out to me, I feel alot better :) Im having one major bad hair day lol :)

zen_oven
January 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
When i had it cut short I put layers in it! :( and now the ends look all funny.

I really want even hair. My plan was to grow my hair really long then cut it even when my shortest layer was waist length, its a very long way to go til then!

Janeytilllie, I feel your pain. We're in the same boat--I've got layers that I desperately want to get rid of but I'm not willing to cut until I've got a lot more growth. My hair is actually quite a bit shorter than yours, but I just plan to reach true BSL before I'll start trimming.

I think your hair looks lovely, but if you really can't stand it, I suggest what others have mentioned--get on a regular trimming schedule and stick to it until the layers are evened out. Just a little at a time will be a lot less traumatic, but you'll be working toward your goals.

Spike
January 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I love your waves and fairytale ends. But I will second and third what the others are saying about just trimming on a regular basis if you can't STAND those layers any more.

Think of it this way--a half-growth trim won't take a noticeable bite out of your length. If you slap your forehead a moment after you lay the scissors down, well, it'll be regrown in a week or two.

If you whack a chunk off (yipes!!!) then you're looking at months to get back where you were.

Nibble, babe, just nibble away at the layers.

janeytilllie
January 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I love your waves and fairytale ends. But I will second and third what the others are saying about just trimming on a regular basis if you can't STAND those layers any more.

Think of it this way--a half-growth trim won't take a noticeable bite out of your length. If you slap your forehead a moment after you lay the scissors down, well, it'll be regrown in a week or two.

If you whack a chunk off (yipes!!!) then you're looking at months to get back where you were.

Nibble, babe, just nibble away at the layers.

Thank you :) i know I would cry if cut inchs off my hair, i have spent a long time trying to grow my hair long from short. Im going to do the dustings and make it a goal to slowly rid of my layers thanks again :)

Isilme
January 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think if you took some kind of leave in or just about anything you use to moisturize your hair and kind of worked with your curls and waves you could get some very defined spiraly ends:)

Debra83
January 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
It would be a shame to cut such beautiful ends off. I WISH my hair was like yours. IMHO (or not so humble) - NO TOUCHY!!! DO NOT CUT ONE MM OFF!!! It looks great and most of us with shorter dream of having that length!!!! I promise I will never cut my hair again...oh, I'm so kicking myself in the butt for having done it twice!!!! lol

viking_quest
January 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
At first I thought you wrote "Need help I ate my hair, should I cut it?" and then I got confused. I love the way it looks now, but if you want a blunt hemline just trim it a little each month (what everybody else is saying).

spidermom
January 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
If it were me, I'd take an inch now and perhaps 1/2 inch every third month until the layers were caught up.

salamander
January 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Your hair really is lovely! The waves are very nice, and it somehow looks soft. I hope you come to like it, too. I know how having rough ends is irritating, mine have been deteriorating beyond the pale lately, and I'm really looking forward to my haircut next month. But we must remember that most of our hair is length, not ends, and most people are looking at the length. I think the more we learn to judge our hair by the length, the happier we'll be. Length is what we're here for, anyway, right? ;)

MandaMom2Three
January 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think your hair is just lovely the way it is :flower: but I also know what it's like to wish it were different too. :grouphug:

ChatoyantLocks
January 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! You've got beautiful fairytale ends, and I've never seen a color quite like the one in the last photo before - medium brown with a pewter blue highlights. It looks like what I would expect a fairy's hair to look like! I really don't see any reason to cut it!

Sherri
January 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
It does not look ugly. Please don't cut it off. If you feel strongly that it needs to be even then do it gradually. You will be sorry if you do something drastic.

intothemist1999
January 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM

I agree with OhioLisa and others who've said the same thing...trim a bit till it all catches up (that's what I did) AND you have really lovely hair!

Now, take a deep breath, and lower the scissors :D

Xandergrammy
January 16th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I think your hair is beautiful! Please don't cut it!

lora410
January 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Your hair is beautiful. If you don't like the ends you could always get rid of the fairy tailing to even it out and grow from there.

Tap Dancer
January 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Is it the length that bothers you or all of it? Because if you hate all of it and you cut it short, you still won't be happy. If the ends bother you, trim a few inches off. Then you can continue to trim until you find a length you're happy with.

naomimcc
January 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM

OhioLisa is wise :)

CopperHead
January 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That is some gorgeous hair! I would just leave it alone for now and if you want to even up in the future, you can. I like the way it looks right now. :)

Anje
January 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I think your hair is pretty (very nice wave pattern, and good color, too), but if you want an even hemline, I could see a trim of a few inches (keep it less than 3) making a huge difference in how you feel about it.

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
At first I thought you wrote "Need help I ate my hair, should I cut it?" and then I got confused. I love the way it looks now, but if you want a blunt hemline just trim it a little each month (what everybody else is saying).

lol i was having quite a bad hair day yesterday, I didn't see i put i ate my hair lol silly me! lol :D Sorry about that.

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Your hair really is lovely! The waves are very nice, and it somehow looks soft. I hope you come to like it, too. I know how having rough ends is irritating, mine have been deteriorating beyond the pale lately, and I'm really looking forward to my haircut next month. But we must remember that most of our hair is length, not ends, and most people are looking at the length. I think the more we learn to judge our hair by the length, the happier we'll be. Length is what we're here for, anyway, right? ;)

Thanks I am very happy I posted this thread, because I feel alot better and I know i would really regret choppnig my hair.

thank you for the lovely message :D

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
It would be a shame to cut such beautiful ends off. I WISH my hair was like yours. IMHO (or not so humble) - NO TOUCHY!!! DO NOT CUT ONE MM OFF!!! It looks great and most of us with shorter dream of having that length!!!! I promise I will never cut my hair again...oh, I'm so kicking myself in the butt for having done it twice!!!! lol

Thank you :D for your support, I had a really bad hair day yesterday, after reading these messages i feel loads better thanks so much! :D

BlackfootHair
January 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I think your hair looks great, but if the hemline is bugging you, you could always trim it up some. But I think it looks awesome. :)

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I think your hair looks great, but if the hemline is bugging you, you could always trim it up some. But I think it looks awesome. :)

Thank you :D I think i might do some dusting a month so that my hemline will eventually straigten out :) Thanks again :D

pariate
January 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Oh honey :flower: I'm sorry you've been feeling glum about your hair! I'm glad you've been boosted by the comments here, and I agree with the others - trim a little off every month and see how it goes. Your hair is so pretty and I hope you remember to check in here when you need someone to remind you of that ;)

Amara
January 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Oh I think your hair looks wonderful! Cut a bit at a time and find a place you can enjoy while you wait for it to be just right. :)

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh honey :flower: I'm sorry you've been feeling glum about your hair! I'm glad you've been boosted by the comments here, and I agree with the others - trim a little off every month and see how it goes. Your hair is so pretty and I hope you remember to check in here when you need someone to remind you of that ;)

Thank you :D i feel lots better, everyones support has made me feel more better about my hair. I will look back at all these messages if I feel down about my hair again :D

Thank you :flowers:

lapushka
January 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think it looks great. I agree with those who've said to cut gradually.

janeytilllie
January 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Oh I think your hair looks wonderful! Cut a bit at a time and find a place you can enjoy while you wait for it to be just right. :)

Thank you :flowers: for your support, I think I will dust abit off every month, so I can even my ends up :)

joyfulmom4
January 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm going to reply to your first post before I read what anyone else has had to say. That way you get my unbiased opinion. :)

First of all, *I* don't think your hair is ugly. Not at all. It's a nice length and fullness with pretty waves and doesn't look terribly damaged to me. Your description of your hair put me in mind of something altogether different. Based on your description, I was not expecting such pretty hair. And I do think it's pretty. :) Honest.

Now, compared to your "goal hair" photo, I can see that the ends are a bit thinner and there appears to be a bit less shine, perhaps due to dryness? But it's certainly not terrible. I'm guessing maybe you're having a "bad hair day" (week/month...) and that on a better day, you might not feel so discouraged. I'm sorry you're having one of those times.

If I were you, I would consider having a nice trim so that you can feel like your hair is healthier and you're not looking at ends that you're not happy with. Then treat your hair to some great conditioning treatments and see how you feel about it afterward. You might just be very pleasantly surprised. :)

Also, if you're having the "hair blahs" consider treating yourself to something special for your hair. Perhaps a new comb or hairsticks or fork? It doesn't have to be expensive, even just a new barrette or scarf. And take some extra time to pamper yourself and your hair and to style it into some really nice updo that you love. When I am feeling down about some aspect of my appearance, I always feel better when I do something nice for myself.

Best wishes.

mellie
January 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Your hair is sooooo gorgeous, it is silly to even think of cutting one bit of it!! :-)

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
i don't see anything wrong with your hair:blossom:

i personally would do a blunt cut and maintain it but thats just me. do what makes you feel great

NebraskaChick84
January 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
omgoodness I love your hair!! so pretty :)

I would agree that regular trims (small ones!) might make you feel better until the layers are gone :)

knittinks
January 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Your hair is beautiful, don't cut it. I am trying to grow out layers and am only trimming a bit every couple of months. I have been so tempted to cut it off to my shortest layer, shoulder length, but I take a deep breath and try and ignore it.

Tornerose
January 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, janey. I'll say what all the other said, regular trimmings would make the change less drastic.

Make sure you are absolutely sure of how much you can cope with getting rid of at once thugh, because I had a trimming back in er.. october, and was just gonna remove the split ends, and I couldn't believe how much she took off. Noone else saw it, but I felt it.

janeytilllie
January 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I'm going to reply to your first post before I read what anyone else has had to say. That way you get my unbiased opinion. :)

First of all, *I* don't think your hair is ugly. Not at all. It's a nice length and fullness with pretty waves and doesn't look terribly damaged to me. Your description of your hair put me in mind of something altogether different. Based on your description, I was not expecting such pretty hair. And I do think it's pretty. :) Honest.

Now, compared to your "goal hair" photo, I can see that the ends are a bit thinner and there appears to be a bit less shine, perhaps due to dryness? But it's certainly not terrible. I'm guessing maybe you're having a "bad hair day" (week/month...) and that on a better day, you might not feel so discouraged. I'm sorry you're having one of those times.

If I were you, I would consider having a nice trim so that you can feel like your hair is healthier and you're not looking at ends that you're not happy with. Then treat your hair to some great conditioning treatments and see how you feel about it afterward. You might just be very pleasantly surprised. :)

Also, if you're having the "hair blahs" consider treating yourself to something special for your hair. Perhaps a new comb or hairsticks or fork? It doesn't have to be expensive, even just a new barrette or scarf. And take some extra time to pamper yourself and your hair and to style it into some really nice updo that you love. When I am feeling down about some aspect of my appearance, I always feel better when I do something nice for myself.

Best wishes.

Thanks :D I think my ends are thinner due to the dyes I did. I have decided that cutting my hair would be bad, i know i would cry because its taken years to get to my length now. So im going to do dusting every month so evenutally my layers will catch up

I was having a bad hair day that day :( so the next day I did treat myself to some new hair things :D I got a new shampoo bar rosemary a couple of hairsticks and a bottle of jojoba oil as mum says"When the going gets tougth, go shopping!:D" lol ;)
Thanks again :)

Sammybunny711
January 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think your hair is lovely and since you love it long, I agree with some others that say you might just want to trim little bits until the layers are evened out. However, your hair looks BEAUTIFUL without it. So shiny and wavy. It is lovely!

MemSahib
January 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Ugly? What are you talking about? You have some of the most elegant fairytale ends I've ever seen. The color is rich, it's shiny, the wave is beautiful — your hair is drop-dead gorgeous. Ugly? The world should be filled with women with such ugly hair.

embee
January 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Personally I prefer fairytale ends, I find them much easier to work with in an updo, but if you want a blunt hemline then you're going to have to trim a bit at a time until you get there.

Glad you're feeling better about it now, please keep the fairytale end pic so you know what your hair looks like that way.

I think it's gorgeous (grumbles the old lady with stick straight hair)... envy envy envy...

Periwinkle
January 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I've been trying to remove layers with regular trimming. I've been trimming a bit each month and I'm really pleased that I can see so much progress: my bottom layer is 98% GONE!! and so now I one major layer left at APL, plus some shaping at just above shoulder.

I've been trying to trim 1/4" each month, but I find it very difficult to trim such a small amount, so I'm going to try 1/2" every two months as I think I'm currently trimming off all my progress. I do recommend this method, though: I feel like I'm doing something and the problem is getting solved without me having to lose all my length.

dearladydisdain
January 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I think your hair is really pretty! I'm not a fan of even hemlines (don't hate me but I would love it if my hemline weren't so even!) but if you want one I agree with the others who said to trim a little at a time.

janeytilllie
January 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
I think your hair is really pretty! I'm not a fan of even hemlines (don't hate me but I would love it if my hemline weren't so even!) but if you want one I agree with the others who said to trim a little at a time.

Thank you :D im going to trim a little a time. Thank you very much for your kind message :D

lilalong
January 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think it looks beautiful.

If I wanted layers gone, I would just cut back to the shortest layers. But I'm maybe a bit drastic that way..

neon-dream
January 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
i think your hemline and hair are both beautiful :)

janeytilllie
January 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
i think your hemline and hair are both beautiful :)

Thank you :D

janeytilllie
January 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think it looks beautiful.

If I wanted layers gone, I would just cut back to the shortest layers. But I'm maybe a bit drastic that way..

I think I would cry. if I cut to my shorest layer, which is shoulder length :eek:

I've decided my best option is to trim alittle of each month so in time i will get a straight hemline :cheese:

Thanks my saying my hair is beautiful, Take care :D

janeytilllie
January 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Your hair is beautiful, don't cut it. I am trying to grow out layers and am only trimming a bit every couple of months. I have been so tempted to cut it off to my shortest layer, shoulder length, but I take a deep breath and try and ignore it.

Thanks, its nice to know im not on my own :) im so glad I put this thread up, because Everyone has made me feel so much better. i know I would have kicked myself if i cut it. So im taking your advice, when I feel the urge to cut I take BIG deep breaths lol :D Thanks again ;)

rhubarbarin
January 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I think your hair looks great, and very healthy. I love your body wave!

It does NOT look ugly, in any way shape or form. If you think it does you have hair dysmorphia!

I am also growing out layers/breakage, and the straggliness drives me nuts sometimes. But I'm willing to soldier on and maintain at waist before I start trimming.
If you are really being bothered, you could trim an inch or two of layered ends. But I don't think you need to.

janeytilllie
January 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I think your hair looks great, and very healthy. I love your body wave!

It does NOT look ugly, in any way shape or form. If you think it does you have hair dysmorphia!

I am also growing out layers/breakage, and the straggliness drives me nuts sometimes. But I'm willing to soldier on and maintain at waist before I start trimming.
If you are really being bothered, you could trim an inch or two of layered ends. But I don't think you need to.

Thanks :) I was thinking maybe my ends look dry and a bit straggly because of the winter maybe? So I'm going to do small dustings and regular S&D to try and even up my hemline :D Thanks so much for your support, take care ;)