PDA

View Full Version : Henna Induced Texture Change?

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
We had a poll like this on the old LHC, and I always found it very fascinating. Now that I know there's even more henna users, I wanted to repost it :D

Please pick only one option and explain in detail in the thread :)

ETA: How about I answer my own question. I selected Type 2 and became less wavy, because henna was enough to knock me down from a solid 2b to a 2a.

Starr
March 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I'm a type 3b/c and henna didn't noticably change my curl pattern at all.

Remke
March 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It used to hang, and now it hangs, from 1a => 1a

pookatrina
March 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'll vote after my second henna. I've no change so far.

Blueglass
March 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
As far as being 1a it doesn't get any straighter. But nowdays I got some crazy wavy hairs. Some are even 3a. I'm all over the map. Actually some hairs are strangely kinked and brittle and coarse. The henna has helped straighten my frizz somewhat. These days I'm really worried about by hair actually.
But overall staighter, which is a God-send for me

Velouria
March 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm 3a/b, and have more 3bish days since I began hennaing......but my hair was chemically dyed and damaged, which has a definite straightening effect for me. So, I'm not sure whether the henna enhanced my curls per se, or whether discontinuing chemical dyes did.
Also, henna did repair some of the damage, which had a curl-enhancing effect.

Isilme
March 27th, 2008, 12:05 PM
2a and no change. But, it feels like my hair has become coarser.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Here's something else that I've noticed... Let's say my hair is up in a bun, and I pet it with the hair...smooth as glass. But when I pet it the wrong way, against the cuticle, it's- rough isn't the right word, but grabby? Does anyone else notice this or am I a mutant?

I'm not sure if it's just that the "right way" is so smooth that anything else is a lot of contrast, or if my hair was always this way and I just now noticed it and attribute it to henna.

prosperina
March 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I voted no change. However, there has been some small change in my waviness, but I think that's due to cutting out the cones and the hairbrush, and before doing terrible things to my hair I remember the waviness being about what it is right now.

I also haven't done as many full head hennas as some people. (Probably only two). And there is bleach under my henna, so I wonder if this has had some affect since it took a lot of work to get the henna to go over some of the bleach, and on the ends you can see the blond coming through again.

squiggyflop
March 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
my hair definatly got straighter/less wavy... and the more full head applications i did the les wavy it became... i have decided its time to switch to root only applications.. that way it only costs me a dollar a month to do my henna... where i live i can get 100 grams of henna for a dollar... and its good henna too! it gets my hair just the right color and i only need to leave it on for an hour.. 3 hour dyerelease and an hour on my head

akka naeda
March 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I voted less wave. It's also been more noticeable since I switched to using Jamilla from Yemen for some reason. I only henna the length every 6 months or so too.

Islandgrrl
March 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I really haven't noticed a change in waviness (or lack thereof) since I started using henna.

khyricat
March 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I honestly think, even though I voted more wave (2) that my other changes probably caused that more than the henna, I don't remember henna doing it before...

Amie

zift
March 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hello I'm a 2c wavy and I've henndigoed 6 times totally and did 2 indigo glosses so far. I can definately say that henna+indigo made my hair less wavy and smoother. My hair doesn't puff out too much anymore and it took away the frizz as well. I almost have 2a hair some days(according to washing method) and I don't have curls anymore...Also my strands have become coarser and smoother in texture,they used to look zigzaggy(whatever that is) but now they wave in a smoother way:)

MadHatter
March 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Type 1, no change.

hazelceleste
March 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
My hair was a 1c before hennaing, and a 1b/c after.

I'm not really convinced that it was the henna made my hair straighter, though. A lot of my pre-henna waves were from chemically dying my hair once a month, which made it frizzy and "wavy". Now that I'm using henna instead, my hair looks less wavy because there isn't as much damage.

wintersun99
March 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Type 1 and saw no change

nienna42
March 27th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Here's something else that I've noticed... Let's say my hair is up in a bun, and I pet it with the hair...smooth as glass. But when I pet it the wrong way, against the cuticle, it's- rough isn't the right word, but grabby? Does anyone else notice this or am I a mutant?

I'm not sure if it's just that the "right way" is so smooth that anything else is a lot of contrast, or if my hair was always this way and I just now noticed it and attribute it to henna.

Well, I notice it too, so either you're not a mutant, or we're both mutants. :p For me, at least, I don't think the grabbiness is because of henna. I think it's just more noticeable, because before I hennaed, my hair felt grabby both ways. I just didn't think about it as much, because I didn't have that wonderful henna smoothness going in one direction.

As for changes in hair type: I answered that my hair has become less wavy. It actually starts out with about the same amount of wave right after washing as it did before I started hennaing, but it tends to lose the wave much more quickly than it used to. I can actually get it to go fairly straight just by combing it as it dries, which I never used to be able to do. Used to be, my hair wouldn't go completely straight even with a straightening iron and tons of hair spray. :rolleyes:

MerryKat
March 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
My hair definitely got straighter.

Nightshade that 'grabby' feeling you describe was one of the reasons (along with dryness & laziness on my part) that made me stop using henna.

Ninika
March 28th, 2008, 04:52 AM
My hair definitely became straighter.

This is the only thing I regret about henna. I went from a solid 2b/2c to, dunno, 1c or 2a, at most? I'm still trying to figure out my new hairtype.

Brushing used to have no ill effect on my waves, now it seems they fall right out as soon as the boar bristles come near them. Also, the braid waves from my night braid vanish within a few hours.

ReadingRenee
March 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I voted that my hair was type two and got less wavy. Its one of the reasons I stopped using Henna. I really like my waves. :)

Alley Cat
March 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Mine got less wavier . I am type 2 . I have stopped hennaing now and I think sometimes some of the extra waves are returning a bit, though it's only been 3 months but that could be layers I had put in my hair. :ponder:

stalking_cat
March 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Only one henna, but I was a 2b/easily encouraged to c. I haven't had a reason to encourage it since the henna, so I don't know if I'll be able to get to c anymore.

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
I guess I'm one of the rare ones who gained curl and wave after henna.
My hair has much more body with henna so instead of lying flat and lank like baby hair it stands out and bumps around a bit.

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I voted cheese.
I've never used henna, but I have thought about using it for short times just for the benefits, but not quite long enough to get any crazy hair changes.

Edit: I do use a condish sometimes that has a little bit of henna in it, but it's the tiniest amount, so I didn't even think about it.

lookingglass
April 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
My hair gets less frizzy and holds curl better longer after I henna.

Riot Crrl
April 2nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
I haven't noticed any relaxing of my 3a. Just lots more shine. And redness. I have only used Yemen in case we are trying to determine whether that makes a difference.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 03:21 AM
My hair gets straighter/less wavy with henna. When my hair hair is trashed and fried and dried, mainly from chemical dyes, it was very very wavy, borderline curly, and as I've treated it better it's gotten smoother.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the curlies back without resorting to a curling iron or trashing my hair again :P

tiny_teesha
April 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM
before henna i passed as a 2c, now, after many henna sessions i don't.

mooglewoo
September 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I noticed a slight increase when I added amla to my mix. On a good day I'm a 2a!

Shanarana
September 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I voted cheese because I didn't see my choice up there. I noticed a big texture change in my hair after using henna. It felt thicker and stronger and kept my curl and wave just fine. :cheese:

I always will vote for cheese.....:cheese:

ladystar
September 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I voted less wavy I went from a 2b to a 2a maybe on some days even a 1b.

I have used henna for about 4 months now. I like my waves but I also love the shine henna gives me. I have found that henna gloss is much better in keeping my waves than full henna.

Alley Cat
September 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Mine got less wavier . I am type 2 . I have stopped hennaing now and I think sometimes some of the extra waves are returning a bit, though it's only been 3 months but that could be layers I had put in my hair. :ponder:

I wanted to update this it's now been 9 months since I have stopped hennaing my hair. I have had 6 inches taken off my lenght too ,and I am happy to say my hair is much wavier again. :cheese:
I struggle with coloring my hair since stopping hennaing mainly worrying about how much color I keep putting in it , but I am not good at doing root only applications.
I am very reluctant to go back to henna though, I really didn't like the texture change. :rolleyes: Not to mention the mess.

NurseMama
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I was a 2b/2c before henna, but now I am wondering if I am even a 1c. I need to to a hair typing picture soon.

RavennaNight
September 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Less wavy so far. I will vote after next hendigo. But I'm pretty sure the almost 2c ain't happening much anymore. I dont know if its a bad thing carewise. I always found the smoother and straighter it hangs, the less it tangles. It definitely KILLED THE FRIZZ! :D

Finoriel
September 21st, 2008, 02:29 AM
1a here :) I think in the about 13 years I use henna, I tried all kinds of different recipes and ways of application with it. From full strength over several hours, or mixed with cassia, or diluted, or filtered with various thickeners, ... to light glosses now. Some acted more strengthening (thickening) than others, but none left my hair straighter or made it hold braid/bun-waves better. They still fall out very quick, but that´s OK for me. I like it that way.

twilight_faerie
September 21st, 2008, 02:43 AM
Wow, I'd totally forgotten that henna has the power to straighten hair. My hair HAS been quite a bit straighter for the past, um, while. I can't remember how long it's been like this, but I guess it's safe to assume it's because of the henna. I used to be a 2a, and now I'm more of a 1c.

Is it possible for henna to straighten your hair even if you don't henna that often? It is, right?

Arctic_Mama
September 21st, 2008, 05:02 AM
Now that everyone mentions it my henna did, indeed, cut down on some of the wave. Weird.

Dientje
September 21st, 2008, 05:38 AM
I voted for : My hair is Type 1 and saw no change.

Since my perm has grown out and I finally take better care of my hair, I actually have some waves. Right after hennaing, my hair gets tangly, it doesn't want to behave, and it is indeed straigther. But after a week or so, all that it gone and my hair behaves as normal, it is only a lot more shiny and reddish...

neenerbabe
September 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM

Hey, I noticed the 'grabbiness' after I hennaed. And the odd thing is I remember the thicker, more abundant hair of my childhood feeling the same way. My hair used to have more spiral waves all over and now it's changed after henna to long lazy S waves, which I love because people are always commenting how nice they look. Henna is pretty interesting stuff.:)

Koala Kim
September 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
I wanted to vote cheese :gobblecheese: but since I had a legit answer to the question, I didn't. :D

I voted I am/was a 2, and the henna straightened my hair. I don't think I can blame it purely on the henna though. I have fine hair. Between the extra length weight and the henna, I have gone from a 2b/c to a 1b/c. Foo. :sad

georgia_peach
September 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm type 1 and after four henna applications, I lost my waves. My hair also became so slick and smooth, that I've stopped the henna in July and have cut short with layers about 6 or 7" all over. I have about 50% gray, and I really miss the little bit of course texture it gave me. My ponytails and updos kept falling loose and I had to use lots of products and hairspray.

Nightshade
September 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Oh good, we can be mutants together! Thank you for the feedback, that's so interesting about it being more similar to your childhood hair!

avraea
September 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
My hair has definitely become less wavy since hennaing, which makes me sad. I'm afraid to henna any more because I don't want to lose what little wave I still have.

easternsunrise
September 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
My hair's waviness decreased a bit but I can still get it back with a shot of my homemade hair spritz.:)

vindo
September 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
No change for me....I have been the same hair type since forever ;)

happymommy
September 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM
No change in my pin straight locks. However, I now have great "swing." I guess that would be body? Does that count as a texture change? Whatever it is, I like it.

redtea
September 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
When my hair had more henna in it than it does now, it definitely lost some of its curly. I didn't care too much about that though since I rarely wear my curly hair curly.

lora410
October 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
whew, I am not the only one. My hair went from 2A to almost a 1a now :(

Velouria
October 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I responded to this poll when it 1st began with "my hair is type 3 and became more tightly curled"

I guess my vote can't be changed, but now it's become obvious that henna is flattening my curls. So I'm not hennaing again until my curl goes back to normal, and then I'll try weak henna glosses (roots-only)with rhubarb powder as another color component. I'd be happier with a more subtle color anyway, and hopefully henna in such dilution won't be straightening.

I always did mix henna with cassia, and I started doing roots-only apps. after my 2nd application, though of course there was always some overlap. So hennas straightening effect was pretty potent in my case.

Oddly, it did make the chemically damaged portion of my hair curlier, which is why I originally voted like I did. My roots have always been straighter than the rest of my hair, so I didn't realize that my virgin hennaed hair was getting straighter until that part was longer. It's now past my ears, and wavy and flat, which looks pretty strange above my poufy, curly (and lighter and damaged) lower length.

lora410
October 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM

I have noticed that as well. It's like I can feel each little hair shaft if rubbed against.

Eden Iris
October 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
No change in waviness when I let it air dry or comb it; however, when I brush my hair it seems to lie straighter than it did before.

I've also noticed that it absolutely will not stay in braids now.

meganb990
October 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
My hair loves henna but no difference in my wavy hair. It feels thicker after using henna. I was hoping it would make my hair curlier but nope it didn't.

granitbaby
October 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I have noticed that henna straightens my 1c hair to 1b. I don't mid really, my 1c waves evolves to frizz as soon as I put a comb near my head anyway.:p

SeaPhoenix
October 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'd henna'd for so long I just assumed I had fairly straight hair, with maybe the once in a while body wave. When I stopped and let my hair grow out this last 8 months, I've noticed more wave - even the hairstylist made sure to comment on my wave pattern. I can't recall that ever happening when I kept up full on henna applications.
I like the waviness sometimes - but when my hair is longer (which won't be for a couple years since it needs to grow out), I like it looking straighter. It seems to have more shine the straighter it is.

burns_erin
October 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I was a 1a to start with, but I put type 1 and got straighter (even though you can't really get straighter than 1a) because now bun and braid waves really will not hold at all anymore.

Aisha25
November 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I say my hair is less wavy but I think that is because henna has added stength to my hairs and making them more heavy so it weighs them down abit maybe:shrug:
ETA: Since hennaing alot and very much almost all the time now my hair has been getting more wavy and some spirals so maybe cause my hair is much healthier now I am getting my original hair back:)
Thanks for bringing this back up now:D

MandaMom2Three
November 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I voted cheese because I haven't henna'd yet. I will be soon though. I love my waves and hubby loves straight hair so I figure it's good either way :D

EmpressRi
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'm a type 3 and my hair became less curly, which is why I don't use henna anymore.

Velouria
February 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Bumping, because it got buried and there likely are newer hennaheads that have never seen it.

scalawaggirl
February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
I hadn't seen it so thanks for bumping the thread. I'm a 2b and my hair is still plenty wavy since henna so no change for me. I do get better waves when I use an aloe/oil/water spray but I have to put something on it or it frizzes. :mad:

Even if it straightened my hair, I wouldn't care. I love henna!

Heidi_234
February 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
lol what about the stuck in between kids like me? :p I'm niether 2c nor 3a hehe.
Anyway I chose to be type 2 (and had no texture change, even if I'd like to), since 3 and 4 gathered together and they are too curly for me.

RedStripe
February 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
2a and no change. But, it feels like my hair has become coarser.

I'm exactly the same as this.

Avalonna
February 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
1B here. I saw no change in waviness, but my hair has gotten thicker and has more body.

Velouria
February 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Not to be the voice of doom, but I hennaed for many months before the straightening effect was obvious. I switched to roots only after my 2nd henna, also.

My damaged, previously dyed hair didn't relax at all: in fact, it got curlier. So, being naturally straighter on my crown, I didn't realize the effect the henna was having until the straighter, henna-over-virgin hair begin nearing my ears. Now I have silky, flattish wave to chin length and dry, poofy, frizzy corkscrew curls (the part with old dye) the rest of the way down.

Just a warning...if your length is chemically treated, and hasn't been straightened by henna, keep a sharp eye on your hennaed-only hair as it grows... that is, if you like your wave/curl.I've read on another forum about this happening to a few other people besides myself.

alligatorbaby23
February 23rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
I voted 3-4 less curly. My curls relaxed after 2-3 treats to become almost a 2b. I enjoy my curls and even though it changed my type, my texture didn't change much, so out the door after that. I think the change lasted about 3 months after I ceased using henna. I assume the henna washed/faded a bit so my hair bounced back, literally.

twilight
February 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
i have to say my results are a little confounded; henna has definitely increased the thickness (strandwise), and my hair is a bit wavier now (certainly not straighter)... but that could just as easily be because i stopped using SLS and cones at the same time i got serious about henna.

so. not sure if i should say "no change" or "wavier" considering i can't definitively pin the cause on henna.

almudena
February 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
My hair is type 2 and saw no change :)

karli
February 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Type 1c and no difference, although I´ve noticed more medium strands in my fine hair. Or perhaps I just can see them better when they are slightly darker.:D

HotRag
February 28th, 2009, 03:13 AM
When I had shorter hair, I felt like it became softer and not as stubborn with it's big waves (that's a #%¤&#%thing when at shoulder length).
But after some weeks, it was like the hairs went dry and more easily got damage.

GlassEyes
February 28th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I've noticed some relaxing of thmy curl; so much I made a thread commenting on it.

I can't really tell you though if it was due to my increasing length, or because of the henna. Either way, I started out 3b/c, and now I'mmore of a 3b, though I could still categorize myself as a 3b/c.

Here's photo proof.

My first photo I put on LHC, pre-henna:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/l_8d0d792b7bc944eb03ce20655d95e8-1.jpg

First Henna:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/Me/SD531327.jpg

Now, after repeated applications:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/PaulCarroll/n1036019266_30294756_4071.jpg

Though that wAS before my most recent cut. T_T So I'm no longer that length, but if you look closely at it, you can see the reason why; the damage to my hair came in the form of straight-looking ends.

Ishtarthemis
March 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hi, I just joined lhc after my first henna and some questions that come with it. I now have done 2 full head applications with henna from mehandi.com. The first one brought no change in curl or volume to my type 3a/3b, thick (iii), 46" (thigh length hair). The second (just 2 days ago) left my hair very shiny and conditioned, but more flat. I panicked that my curls had been lessened, so I slept the 1st night with wet hair (makes it xtra curly if it dries while I'm sleeping; no gravity to pull it down). This made it curly, but I still worried - it was more flat & limp than normal - so the second day I washed it w/ morroccan method, conditioned, and put the wet hair on top of my head loosely to dry(also less gravity=more curls). This worked too, but I'm still worried. I've read that some hennaed hair bounces back after a week or so, does anyone have any similar experience? 2 applications would not have ruined my curls, would they? If anyone has hennaed and regained their curls/volume, could you please tell me so I don't worry? Also, any tips for counteracting this effect (I'm going to try amla) ? I would like to be able to henna without having this problem. Thanks - sorry for the long post.

Ishtarthemis
March 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hi again, I read more of this thread after posting and thought I'd add that the first henna was Yemen (no change in curl), the second Punjabi Prime & henna for African hair (although my hair is not African). Would multiple apps(applications) of Yemen be better - could I keep my curl/volume? Could any Yemen users tell me their experience(how many apps you could do without any straightening effect?). Also, those of you who lost curl, can you please tell me how many apps it took before the curl was decreased, and how long it took to get back? Any tips on counteracting the relaxing effect? Does cassia do anything to curl? Thanks so much, I really can't stand the thought of losing my curl/volume. The good thing is that there is much less frizz, I would like to have that effect w/out the curl loss.

dearladydisdain
March 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
My hair was 1c/2a and definitely became more 1b/1c after henna.

rach
March 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
ok i haven't had long with it, im the new henna converted :P . but so it feels thicker somehow and my waves have relaxed only sightly but they are much easy to handle. as for the feel it's corse and smooth at the same time - feels gorgeously healthy, like a hair transplant, this isn't my hair, it's disorientating! but yey anyhow!
making me enjoy my wavy hair which usually i frown upon and i get annoyed with it and used mass coconut oil to make it behave (hardly need it now) double yey :)

Velouria
March 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I definitely wouldn't recommend multiple applications of ANY henna if you're already experiencing curl loss. I don't think the variety makes any difference, other than maybe stronger (higher-dye content) hennas being even more straightening. The difference you noticed can be understood as the difference between a 1st henna and a 2nd.

Amla has helped me some, but it's not a cure. I'd definitely recommend switching to roots-only to minimize the flattening (if you're sure you want to continue using henna), but even doing that , I think you'll still experience some degree of curl-loss.

All of your other questions have variable answers. In this, as in so many other things, henna does differently for different people.

vampodrama
March 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
no change. after 1,5 years of hennaing, my hair is still straight, fine and slippery as heck.

(I was hoping for coarser, less slippery hair. not happening, I s'pose.)

dulce-de-leche
March 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
My hair became less wavy.I noticed it became less poofy too.

AcadieAnne
March 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Lost a little wave, from 2b to 2a, but the benefits out-weigh this, imo.

caribou55313
March 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
When I used henna alone several times, my 1b became straighter, heavier, and a bit clumpy/staticky. I lifted some henna and started using cassia-based henna mixes, so now I'm back to my usual degree of very slight bend/wave.

HotRag
March 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Oh, this explains why I allways felt that my irritating bends and big waves, was less irritating after hennaing.

I thought if maybe was due to me concentrating on the colour instead of these unbehaving bends.
But it could very well be for real (that hair really got straighter and better behaving).

RavennaNight
March 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Okay. I have been hennaing over 6 months, once a month. So now I can really tell you all. It is much straighter. I went from a crazy 2A-2C range to possibly a 1C. I really do not know if I can still call myself a 2, maybe if I do not comb it.

lil_irish_angel
March 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I noticed after my 2 head application since I started Labor day weekend and only one retouch of the roots of Henna. I NOTICED my hair it slightly thicker, smoother and shine. The other thing I noticed is the thickness of the increase is slight and I have noticed if I where my hair down when its wet it is straighter than if I had left in a bun to dry. But he straight fact is a nice factor if you ask me. But I did have relatively straight hair to begin with. But one thing is for sure it gave my hair so much slip that impossible to have bun with to pins in it...

3azza
March 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
My hair is becoming less curly since i have used henna, but since i had different textures during my lifetime ranging between 2b and 3c i can't blame it all on the henna now.

Nightshade
March 27th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I mentioned this in the Sun-In thread, and I'm not advocating it for anyone that wants their wave back because it can and will probably come with some degree of damage, but I noticed after I lightened my hennaed length with Sun-In, I got my wave back.

Rini
May 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I went from henna head to un-henna head :D and I REALLY have my wave/ringlets back now! It's a huge difference. Mind you, I did love it when I was a henna head too :eyebrows:

CurlyLolo
June 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM
From a TIGHTLY coiled 3C /4A to ??? I dunno I have never had hair like this... from and sides..3a/2b ish? fuzzy duck 4a crown 3c?

I want to do one more full head for a total of 3 in a bout a 2 week span and then I will see if my infamous curls can fight their way back....honestly i put my money on the curls, although I did not expect them to be so easily changed...

froglet
June 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Oddly enough, my hair is straighter without henna/ hendigo. When I had a full length of hendigoed hair, I could easily hit 1c on most days, at the time I thought that it was because I was taking so much better care of my hair. I used henna/ hendigo for four years and before that my hair was usually dyed and blowfried. Now that I have grown out quite a bit of virgin hair I realize that my natural hair type is much straighter, slicker and more fine (diameter wise) then I believed it to be. Without henna/hendigo I see little to no wave pattern at all. Once the hendigo is cut totally off I can see myself easily changing my hair type to 1a. To be quite honest, my silky virgin hair feels kind of weird to me, I miss having so much body in my hair.

Shermie Girl
June 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I voted cheese, since I am no longer a henna head. :D

When I was a henna head, tho my 2a/2b hair was more like 1b/1c. Henna really relaxed my wave. It also made my hair feel thicker and more... I don't know how to describe it... Bodified? It had a certain spring to it that my natural hair doesn't have. It really was lovely stuff. I am still a little sad that I just couldn't be a redhead at heart. :)

My natural hair has it's old wave and pouff in all it's glory. :lol:

wackyredtangles
June 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm a 2 who went from a more wavy 2 to a less wavy 2. I do get some spirals when its short, but not when its long. Some of it might have been from my hair getting longer, but I'm not sure. I decided to decrease the concentration of henna in my mixes, and only do the roots. I did about 3-4 full on applications total, with the last one being equal parts amla:henna:cassia, with coconut milk mixed in. Its been a few months since my last full on application, I stopped using cones, and my waves are coming back.

cobblersmaid
June 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
My is hair is the same. I wish I noticed more of the health benefits that henna should impart.

Isadora Lewie
December 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
Mine is a looser curl, which I quite like on the upper layers. The underlayer has gone all stringy and tangly. Am about to try a henna gloss to see if that helps...

StellaReade
March 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
I can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I found this one a little close to what I wanted to ask. Is it possible to go from F to M with multiple applications of henna? I used to not be able to feel a single strand at all before, now I can feel it quite well.

AstrayStar
March 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
My hair is Type 1 and became wavier/curlier -- this was my vote because my hair used to be bone straight and has been continuously getting wavier over the last few years - whihc is when I ahve been hennaing. Although, apparently my moms hair did the same as she got older and so it could be totally unrelated to the henna (my mom has never hennaed)??????

Rentlle
March 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM
i went from 1c to 1b_1a..:p
I hope that stays like that, because it's grown now==> longer hair, more weight, less wave.. :)

LadyJennifer
March 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've done two henndigo applications, and haven't seen a change in my 2c hair. I'm soon to do a straight henna app (I want more red), so we'll see what happens then. I added amla, btw, so I don't know if that made a difference.

Fractalsofhair
March 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
With my henna gloss, a lot of my hair has become wavier. The fine little strands by the side curl. The rest of my hair has become straighter.

missjessiecakes
March 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have 2c/3a hair and after henna I a sitting more in 3a. So I voted I got curlier.

Nightshade
March 5th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I found this one a little close to what I wanted to ask. Is it possible to go from F to M with multiple applications of henna? I used to not be able to feel a single strand at all before, now I can feel it quite well.

I think if you're borderline it's quite possible. Belisama, a good friend of mine, has F strands, and hers are still very, very fine, but they are thicker than they were without henna.

AuntyClaus
March 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I can't tell, but my hennas have been 80% cassia/20% henna, and I've only done 3 of them so far. I do have a little henna left over that I'll use in glosses, but don't know how much it will change me.

Ma'am
March 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but... all my little broken/new growth hairs are curling up like crazy.

Henna has definitely made a difference in the texture of my hair, though. When it's wet it feels sort of rough, but after it's dry.... :cheese:

jaine
March 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I voted 2 and less wavy.

Virgin hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=58717&albumid=4565&dl=1262575230&thumb=1

The day after my 4th henna (this was air-dried hair with nothing in it)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=58992&albumid=4565&dl=1262377882&thumb=1

After a month or so without henna it finally started to regain some wave in some places.
But overall it's still straighter than it was before.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=60335&albumid=4650&dl=1263959847&thumb=1

LunarAurora
March 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
My hair are naturally wavy / curly (2c), but with henna they have become straight (now I'm 1b !!), it is very surprising. When I was younger I would have killed to have straight hair but today I's sad to have lost my waves.

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Type 3 and my hair became less curly with henna.

gazelle
January 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM
My hair was 2c or 3a before henna. Now it is wavy but not curly. After 5 years of full head applications. Sometimes I miss my curls, but still I love henna

luciferia
January 29th, 2012, 04:06 AM
My hair is definitely less wavy/curly than before. It didn't change much until the 5th application or so. I sometimes miss my curls.

Mesmerise
January 29th, 2012, 05:05 AM
To be honest... I am really not sure. My hair is weird when it comes to waviness anyway. I sometimes think it's not as wavy as it used to be, but then again, when it's longer some of the curl falls out anyway.

aisha.christine
January 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM
My hair used to be 2b/2c, but I've noticed that it's more 1c/2a now. I miss my waves, but I like the way my hair feels with henna, so I don't think I'll stop.

chou
February 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
My waves definitely loosened the first time I did henna. I now mix it with amla to preserve them which works pretty well.

CurlyMopTop
February 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I just did my second application of Henna. The first round my curls loosened a little for about a week. They haven't loosened at all with the second application. It's still early on, they may loosen over several full applications, but nothing yet. :D

Ruzovy
September 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm a 2c, and my hair's waviness varies a lot so it's hard to say. But I don't think it lost any curl at all, I'm almost inclined to say it got a little more, maybe, maybe not. It's hard to tell so overall I guess there was no change. Not complaining tho :P

Littlewing13
September 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I put no change, I did see a tiny change but it is so minimal that to me it doesn't count.

fairhairedthing
September 24th, 2012, 06:43 PM
If cassia counts, it straightened my hair a very small bit. It was nearly 2a and it dropped to a 1c very quickly after one application.

rock007junkie
October 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
My hair is in the 3 range and became less curly when I was doing henna monthly. For the past year I've reduced it to only applying it every 3 months. Seems to work better.

Luminaria
November 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM
It made my curls less defined..,they don't even hold well...

maborosi
November 24th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure as my hair is straight naturally, but my hair definitely feels like it's gotten coarser with more henna use.

~maborosi~

SleepyTangles
December 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Less wavy, but also less frizzy and more shiny/sleek. It seems thicker, too.

egcmi
May 10th, 2018, 07:36 AM
i don't know if this question has already been answered, but is this poll strictly limited to henna or are other herbs (i use cassia) also contemplated? if not is there a poll concerning cassia induced texture change?

Queerantine
May 10th, 2018, 07:56 AM
My hair is naturally 2a but after years of regular hennaing, was more like 1c. I didn't notice a difference right away, it definitely increased the longer I used it. I loved what the henna did for my hair as far as its condition, it felt so strong, thick, and shiny. I've since stopped using henna (I have really ashy light brown hair and am going grey, against the red all new growth looked straight grey) and use semi-permanent dye instead to keep it brown. Much quicker, to be sure, and its clear my roots are brown with grey, not all grey, but I miss how lovely the henna made my hair. Its been about 6 months and my hair is slowly returning to more of a 2a texture.

Nightshade
May 10th, 2018, 09:53 AM
i don't know if this question has already been answered, but is this poll strictly limited to henna or are other herbs (i use cassia) also contemplated? if not is there a poll concerning cassia induced texture change?

I think this was meant for henna because cassia would have a short-term effect, but I don't see why if you suffered curl knockout from cassia, that you wouldn't from henna.

egcmi
May 10th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I think this was meant for henna because cassia would have a short-term effect, but I don't see why if you suffered curl knockout from cassia, that you wouldn't from henna.

then i'll abstain from voting but i'll share my experience here. also because i wouldn't know what to vote, you'll understand why in a second. so far i've done 3 cassia treatments, once a month. the first time i noticed loosening of my curl pattern (3b) that lasted until the next wash. second time my curl pattern looked the same but my hair was fluffier and more voluminous, again lasted until next wash. third time no difference. i guess it's all about my hair getting used to it or i don't know.

lapushka
May 10th, 2018, 05:12 PM
egcmi, well you *are* putting an herb on your hair, and I mean... no wonder if it affects your hair, right? Herbs can be quite potent. Maybe skip one time or two, and see what your hair does.

DweamGoiL
May 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I was 2b and now I am between a 1c-2a

Glitch
May 10th, 2018, 06:35 PM
My hair texture wasn't ever affected by henna, but it did become a bit dry at times!

Kaoria
May 16th, 2018, 03:06 PM
It made my curls less defined..,they don't even hold well...

I was afraid of this ^^ About to put my second henna on (if Lush counts as my first) and it already feels like my waves are less defined and clump less. Ugh. Will report back after the second full head application.

WyntreBlossom
May 17th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I voted the cheese option because I have not tried henna yet haha. I plan to do henna though and im excited to pick it up. I plan to start doing henna once I surpass BSL as like a reward to myself.

nycelle
May 17th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I tried henna once- when I was a teen years, and years ago. All I remember is it making my hair extremely dry.

No idea if it was the brand or what, but I've been scared to try it again ever since.

lapushka
May 19th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I tried henna once- when I was a teen years, and years ago. All I remember is it making my hair extremely dry.

No idea if it was the brand or what, but I've been scared to try it again ever since.

That's what it did to my hair too, and I conditioned well, but it remained dry and got brittle and I suddenly had very porous hair. Basically henna has the same effect as bleach on my hair, which might be the reason it melted off after 2 heavy volume applications of bleach (and I still had an orange stain in my hair).

Kaoria
May 19th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Ok so after the second head application my waves did relax a little bit. I think I’ll stick to roots only from now on.

It doesn’t feel dry though (unlike the first time with Lush - this lot was raj henna); I suspect rinsing it off with a Garnier hair food mask instead of conditioner really made a difference in addressing the moisture levels. Really love those masks, silicone free and so moisturising. And cheap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so that’s HG status right there.

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 09:53 AM
I think it became wavier.

puckish
April 2nd, 2023, 06:08 PM
From what I've read and researched, I believe that the change in curvature is only after many applications and doesn't last "forever".

shelomit
April 3rd, 2023, 09:06 AM
From what I've read and researched, I believe that the change in curvature is only after many applications and doesn't last "forever".

It doesn't last forever, but for me it's an immediate effect. When my hair is starting to get too curly for me to handle with my usual methods, I put on another layer of henna in part to calm it down.