PDA

View Full Version : Red tint to ash brown?

LittleLlama
January 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I don't know if it's from previous (not brown) colorings, but despite several uses of "dark ash brown" my hair still has a red tint in the sun. Is it just too bad, so sad till my real color grows out or is there something else I can do?

The thing that really gets me is that I don't think it should all be so red tinged as it is, like I have natural coloring (not red) covered by the ash brown but it still looks a little red.

I've been using Loreal Preference.

prosperina
January 15th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure I follow. What color did you previously color your hair? Red or some other color? Because usually red dye washes out super quick--in fact the fastest. If you bleached it blond from a really dark brown, it's normal for hair to go reddish before it goes blond or lighter brown. A lot of people have red undertones in their hair too.

relizabeth
January 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Nearly all bottle brunette color leaves red undertones after a few days of washing. I don't know why. Maybe it's the lift of the peroxide. But I've tried to color my hair medium or light ash or neutral brown and always end up with more red than I wanted.

rymorg2
January 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I'm a stylist....

This has a lot to do with color and what makes up which natural tones. When your hair is darker, you naturally will have a lot more red tones in your hair. It's just how the natural color is made up.

Box color has very strong developer in it. So you will get some lift with it each time, and with dark hair it's going to lift to more red, so that makes sense. Ash will counteract some of the red, but chances are you'll have some red left over that way. You would have a little more luck with salon color to counteract it, but you may still have some leftover red tones. If you've been using the L'oreal Preference over previous red colors, then you will DEFINATELY have some leftover red tones.

While artificial reds DO fade fast, the little bit that doesn't fade out is also the hardest to remove from the hair.

LittleLlama
January 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Rymorg!

I looked at the time I posted, no wonder it left some confused! :p

I'd had my hair done at a salon with some wild burgundy highlights a year ago at least but the upkeep was terrible so I just box-dyed over it to my natural color which is more in line with the dark ash brown. Maybe it's just more red than I realize. Definitely worth convincing my husband that I need a day at a salon though.