PDA

View Full Version : Static

XeniaR
January 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I am having trouble with static. My old way to handle static was to spray the brush or comb with hair spray.

I have done this now a few times but then it occured to me that hairspray on my natural hair brush might be bad for it.

Not to mention hair spray on my hair.

What can I do for the static that is good for my hair?

(BTW, to describe what I am dealing with, my hair is longer then my profile pic, it is almost to bra strap level now. My routine is one of the following:

condition (with noncone conditioner) on the ends
wash the scalp
rinse that out
Rinse with Baking Soda diluted in water
Rinse that out.
use a cone conditioner
rinse that out
White vinegar rinse (about 1/2 oz for 16 oz water)
rinse that out

Or, if my hair has gone too long between washes and is rather dirty:
Wash scalp
Rinse out
Baking Soda rinse
Rinse out
Condition length (sometimes with cones sometimes without it varies)
Rinse out
Vinegar rinse
Rinse out.

My hair is fine in texture. I do not use any heat to dry it. I do not comb it after I wash it until it is dry. I finger comb it while it dries, then braid it and go to bed. The next morning when it is dry, I finger comb, then brush with a natural bristle brush.

This is when I am getting the static but sometimes it is statically before I take the brush to it.

Giggy2
January 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hi XeniaR,

I would suggest discontinuing the use of baking soda; it will totally strip your hair. Using it at every wash could be way too much. If you wish to use it to clarify, I'd only suggest every 6 mo. with an intensive moisturizing leave'in after. Just my :twocents:

Sometimes after I comb I have the static head so I use a spray bottle with distilled water and that makes a huge difference. Using a leave in helps and when I remist throughout the day the leave'in is reactivated. Also after I apply hand lotion I will sometimes run my hands over my hair to settle it down. Running a humidifier is another suggestion. I've eliminated oils until summer because they seem to make matters worse for me. The hairspray tends to dry my hair even more so I quit using it to eliminate my static. My DD uses a dryer sheet over her hair, but I'm not sure about the residue if any that it may be leaving behind.
Good Luck! :flower:

Islandgrrl
January 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've had pretty good luck with Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=kimberlily%27s+spray) knocking down static.

That and damp bunning and wearing it up constantly seem to have done the trick. :)

ETA: Oh, I just noticed that you use a cone conditioner. I found that cones made my static problem horrible. Haven't used them in over a year and my hair is unbelievably better behaved.

BlndeInDisguise
January 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Using a horn comb will help decrease static. At least, I've never had static when using my horn comb. :)

Fairlight63
January 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have the same problem, & my hair is also fine & thin. So I am watching your replies with interest. I have tried a drier sheet before but I didn't like the gunk that it left on my hair, made it feel dirty or something.

Also it is worse if I have on a sweater & try to brush my hair - my hair stands on end, LOL. and is just uncontrolable!

wintersun99
January 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM

OhioLisa
January 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Static is usually due to lack of moisture, so I have to agree with the others here. The baking soda is most likely just too much, especially since you are a fine hair. Then the cones lock out the moisture as well. You probably don't need the vinegar rinses as often either. And personally, I would ditch the brush. Just my :twocents:

karli
January 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
This year Iīve had no problem with static. I donīt know whether itīs because I co or if itīs because Iīve started to oil my hair. It works, though.

Oh, and donīt rub your hair against a balloon...
(sorry, been playing with my daughter)

Janka
January 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I oil and wear my hair up (it's better for my hair anyway;)). I use a wooden comb.
BUT
I noticed that the flyaways and static also depends on what I'm wearing. Fleece pullover = very static, cotton pullover = way less static. Generally, natural fibers (OK, except for wool) are less static than man-made fabrics. Having to wear a hat/cap now in winter makes my hair yuck - the bangs stick to my head, but I have lots of shorter hair which are charged and flyaway. I cannot wait for spring and sommer... :(

nimeera
January 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I agree. I use either jojoba oil or an indian hair oil on the length (not the roots) after washing. I just put a little in my hand (a few drops, no more!), rub my hands together, then rub them down over and under my damp hair. Then I comb and style. No more frizzies! Plus, it is not heavy or greasy. Just nice waves.

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
i use a dryer sheet lol

for real is you lightly rub it on your hair it keeps the fly aways down. i'll do this if i am in a hurry or my hair smells kinda not pleasant for what ever reason

XeniaR
January 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
It never occured to me that the Baking soda was drying my hair too much.

I ran out of baking soda a few days ago and honestly, the static has not been a problem at all in the last few days. I didn't however connect those dots. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have still been using the vinegar rinse. My hair does not tangle when I use it and it is bad if I don't. I keep it diluted (0.5-1 oz in 16 oz water) and I always rinse it out.

About the cone conditioner. I never knew that dries out the hair. I still have some of it left but when I ran out of my noncone conditioner, I replaced it. Suave is cheap.

I am going to look for a spray bottle and get some distilled water. I have read about that here before and I might try that as well.

Lately after every wash when my hair has dried, I use a little bit of jojaba oil (one or two drops is all). I just started doing this when I noticed that if my hair is oily (not washed) I have no static.

Elphie
January 21st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'd agree that the baking soda is likely to be the main culprit. Silicone conditioners can seal moisture in but they can also seal moisture out. It may be what's happening here, the baking soda is drying your hair out and the silicone conditioner isn't allowing any moisture to penetrate.

I've been mainly cone-free for a few years now and haven't had a static issue for a long time. When I did, I used to spray a bit of static guard on my brush to eliminate it. It worked like a charm...but I'm sure it's not the healthiest option!