PDA

View Full Version : How often do you have to wash your hair in winter?

plainjanegirl
January 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was wondering if you find that you can wash your hair about the same in winter as the rest of the year or do you have to wash more or less often and why do you feel this is? I am still struggling trying to find a good routine. I used to wash my hair every other day but I had managed to cut back to twice a week but now my hair is just so soo very dry so I find myself washing more often.

RocketDog
January 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I do not think my hair gets any more/less greasy at any time during the year, but I do notice that my ends get drier faster in the winter. This usually means that I end up doing some sort of moisture treatment/heavy oiling more often at night, which COULD lead to more frequent washing, I guess.

lapushka
January 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I feel like I have to wash a lot less (8 days instead of every 3/4), but I recently changed routines again (no sl(e)s), so that might have something to do with it as well. No sl(e)s is a good thing for me in winter times, I guess.

elbow chic
January 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I wash less often in winter, (about every three days, versus barely being able to stand every-other-day in summer) but my trouble is oiliness, not dry hair.

spidermom
January 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
There's some evidence out there to suggest that getting the hair wet dries it out. Water causes the cuticle to lift, and as your hair dries, some of the intrinsic internal moisture evaporates. Perhaps try a good leave-in, a little extra oiling -- something like rather than getting it wet more often.

I wash a little extra in the winter, too. I like to have a nice warm/hot bath before bed so that I don't shiver when I slide between those cold sheets, but my head will sweat while I'm in the bath. Then my hair will smell sour. I don't like that. I'm really trying to limit those soaks in the bathtub to times when my hair already needs to be washed, but I do better some weeks than others.

Sammybunny711
January 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I have just now been able to work up to washing every other day. I am SO proud of that accomplishment. I decided to make the adjustment during the winter because my hair would have LOTS of time to get used to the less frequent washings for summer. :o)

Lady Verity
January 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I wash it every day. It's cold, but I have to wash it or it gets greasy. Bah.

plainjanegirl
January 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
There's some evidence out there to suggest that getting the hair wet dries it out. Water causes the cuticle to lift, and as your hair dries, some of the intrinsic internal moisture evaporates. Perhaps try a good leave-in, a little extra oiling -- something like rather than getting it wet more often.

I wash a little extra in the winter, too. I like to have a nice warm/hot bath before bed so that I don't shiver when I slide between those cold sheets, but my head will sweat while I'm in the bath. Then my hair will smell sour. I don't like that. I'm really trying to limit those soaks in the bathtub to times when my hair already needs to be washed, but I do better some weeks than others.

I also do better some weeks than others. I have just recently started experimenting with some leave ins ( I asked for hair stuff for Christmas). But what I am finding is that I am normally a cone user and then I clarify about once a month and have no problems BUT now since I am using these leave in conditioners they make my hair feel coated after a day or two of use and then I have to wash my hair again. But wouldn't the cones in these probably be the same as the cones in my shampoo or conditioner (especially if they are the same brand). I normally save oiling for a pre treatment but have not noticed where it has helped my hair any. Oil isn't moisturizing is it? Thanks for all the help!!

Nera
January 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I wash my hair more often in the summertime, because I swim in lakes and seawater quite often. I also go out more, and I always wash my hair after going out.

In the winter my hair is a lot dryer, that is why I wait untill it becomes more greasy. I wash my hair once a week, and use a lot of oil. (:

Anje
January 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
My summer schedule is washing 1-2 times per week, as needed (or more if I'm swimming in something that needs to come out). I keep trying to do that in the winter, but by day 3 my scalp is seriously greasy. So I find myself washing my hair more than I'm used to in the winter, every 2-3 days.

sandigirl
January 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I wash more in the summer only because of swimming. In the winter if my hair gets dry I just brush it more to distribute the natural oil.

Addy
January 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've just started cutting back my washes to 1 per week soon after joining LHC. My wash days are usually on Saturday or Sunday if I forget to do it on Saturday. So... I don't know what summer will bring for my hair in the way of washing. I can't wait to find out though! I can't stand this bitter coldness that has taken the life from my plants and trees. :( brrrrrr

Haith
January 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I wash my hair less often in the winter mostly because its so darn cold here that I can't bear getting into the shower. In the summer its nice and cooling to be wet, and in the winter its so chilling that I can't bring myself to do it. As it is, I wash every 3-4 days now in the shower, and just freshen up with a damp cloth in the mornings. In the summer I will wash my hair every other day or so, and I'll shower every day.

My hair gets drier in the winter, as does my skin, so to combat this I usually mist my hair and then oil it... lightly on the canopy, heavier on the ends where its driest. This definately helps.

rymorg2
January 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I wash 2x a week in summer but have to add a 3rd wash each week in winter aparently. I think the dry winter air dries my scalp out more and makes it more itchy/flaky.

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I tend to wash mine less in winter, because my scalp doesn't get as greasy and sweaty as in the summer months.

vbear
January 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I wash my hair every day. Sometimes I will take the weekends off, but for the most part everyday.

Honey39
January 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I wash it every other day (CO wash), and soak the bottom half in water on days I don't wash it to get the curl back. That works really well for me. In the summer, I was CO-washing every day, but I've cut back because I want a lie-in in the winter, and it's too cold to go out without about an hour and a half drying time in the flat.

I don't find getting my hair wet dries it out, but totally t he reverse. That's been a revelation to me, how much my hair needs water and leave-in conditioner - best thing ever!! I think it depends on your hair type though!

LadyLongLocks
January 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I wash about every 4 days. I do mist and condition the ends between shampoos since the air is dry.

Carolyn
January 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't like to go more than 3 days without getting my hair wet and washed. I sweat a lot more in the summer so I might be more likely to wash every other day in hot weather. I've found that my ends do better if I do a light oiling or put on a leave in while my hair is still damp after washing, rather than adding the oil or leave in to dry hair. However in the the winter I have to take in to consideration going out into the cold with wet hair. I can do that anytime in the summer but it's not a real good idea in the winter. That might force me into postponing a wash for another day now and then.

RavennaNight
January 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Winter? 1-2 times a week. At most. I tryto stretch because I hate cold wet head. Thats the only reason, and dryness. Hair seems dryer in the winter.

Calanthe
January 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
It's the same - about once a week. I had to switch from soap to CO though, during the winter soap makes my hair too dry and frizzy, which is probably due to central heating and all that.

Tap Dancer
January 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have to wash every other day all year. My roots get just as oily in the winter as in the summer. :shrug:

Ryanne
January 15th, 2009, 08:43 AM
The same. I wash my hair once a week.

backtolonghair
January 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I usually wash mine every couple of days.. I'm really try to space out the washings since it usually gets drier this time of year. It's definitely oiler in the summer!
Blessings
:)

Ayanna
January 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
i wash my hair twice a week in winter.

Katrina
January 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Once or twice a week, mainly once.

scalawaggirl
January 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Usually two to three times a week now but then it's only CO. I gave up shampoos but still have them in the bath for the BF. He uses so little, they should be there for 100 years or so.

HotRag
January 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Once a week, year around.

Curlsgirl
January 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I usually do less than twice a week all year around but in the winter one of those has recently been CO instead of CWC. My hair is drier in the winter. I go a week sometimes just because it's cold to let my hair dry naturally this time of year.

jivete
January 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
The same for me too. I CO wash everyother day and then once on the weekend. My schedule's pretty set, mon-tues-fri (mornings) & sat afternoon/evening.

In the winter I've found I need more oil to keep my hair from being so dry.

embee
January 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I wash more often in summer, probably once a week or every 10 days. In winter I try to go a couple or three weeks. That helps against the static cling, the dry-skin itchies, and the freezing cold drip-dry times. Since I'm not outdoors working in my garden (working up a sweat) in winter, my scalp stays much cleaner. I wear my hair up 99.9% of the time.

Note that I'm probably much older than most of you and my skin has become *much* dryer in recent years. I could *never* have done this in my 30s.

SimplyLonghair
January 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I wash less often in winter, simply because it is so cold. And if I didn't use a dryer I would get too cold. I usually only wash once a week anyway.:D

LaurelSpring
January 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Every other day now all the time unless I am sick or hermiting and then I will go without any washing as long as I can stand myself or I have to go in public.

I just discoved my new winter minimal washing routine. I didnt want to shampoo and shower in the morning because it is so cold. I really wanted to take a nice long bath but didnt want to have to wash my hair first so I got the bright idea while I was in the tub to just do the mermaid thing. I grabbed a cup and my AO was handy and there you go. Then I just wrapped it up in a towel and enjoyed the rest of my bath. I am doing it again tonight because it worked great. No fuss no muss.

dearladydisdain
January 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I wash no more than every other day but usually less than that. I don't really keep track anymore, I just do it when it's too oily. I definitely wash it less in the winter but I've also been exercising lately which makes me have to wash it more.

Johanna64
January 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I wash my hair three times a week,in summer and winter.

plainjanegirl
January 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Maybe I need to keep playing around with oils and conditioners.

zen_oven
January 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out the best wash schedule for winter too. We don't have a whole lot of winter here in Houston, so I'm wondering if I just need to suck it up and be patient and eventually it will get better. Basically my scalp seems oilier but my hair seems drier. And it tends to be flat, which drives me insane. I blame the cold, dry air outside and the warm, dry air in my house from running the heat.

I feel like I need to wash more, but I'm fighting tooth and nail not to. Typically I wash twice a week, with three non-wash days in between. It seems to help if on my second day I soak my ends in some conditioner and rinse it out. Misting the crap out of it in the morning helps with the flatness I tend to experience also. I don't really have any other solutions at this point, so I'm trying to just stick with my routine, maybe do some deep conditioning when possible and wait for the cold to go away. BLEH.

plainjanegirl
January 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out the best wash schedule for winter too. We don't have a whole lot of winter here in Houston, so I'm wondering if I just need to suck it up and be patient and eventually it will get better. Basically my scalp seems oilier but my hair seems drier. And it tends to be flat, which drives me insane. I blame the cold, dry air outside and the warm, dry air in my house from running the heat.

I feel like I need to wash more, but I'm fighting tooth and nail not to. Typically I wash twice a week, with three non-wash days in between. It seems to help if on my second day I soak my ends in some conditioner and rinse it out. Misting the crap out of it in the morning helps with the flatness I tend to experience also. I don't really have any other solutions at this point, so I'm trying to just stick with my routine, maybe do some deep conditioning when possible and wait for the cold to go away. BLEH.

SOunds like I am not the only one with hair issues right now. I am so ready for winter to be over. it is the coldest it has been in this area for like 10 years. Course in summer I will probobly be complaining of frizz. Maybe I should just braid it and forget it.

Tressie
January 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
In the summer I had gotten down to CO or CWC twice a week. Now that it is winter, I have managed to cut back to about once weekly, as my hair tends to be dry and I don't want to subject it to the stress of washing too often. I have done a scalp wash or rinse after sweaty work. This drys faster than a whole head wetting of course! Good for cold weather!

EvaSimone
January 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I don't have to wash my hair as much in the winter... between every 2-4 days.

In the summer I have to wash every other day. Sometimes every day because my scalp gets sweaty.

I think that's why I don't have to wash as much in the winter because I don't sweat as much.

Speedbump
January 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
At this point, I pretty much wash my hair once or twice a week in the summer and then once every 7-10 days in the winter. I admit I try to stretch washes as long as humanly possible when it's so cold, because my hot water tank just barely lasts through a hair-washing shower and it really gets freezy toward the end. :o

catfish
January 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
In the summer my hair is wet everyday, but now it is so cold that I havn't washed my hair in two weeks.:rolleyes: It's so cold that I wrap up my hair and then put on a hat, so no nothing gross gets on my hair anyways, so it might as well be dry. Besides, I don't ever get greasy, my scalp is dry, it can afford to miss a wash. To keep my length from getting dry I have included a homemade leave in to detangle and moisturize.

plainjanegirl
January 16th, 2009, 05:30 AM
In the summer my hair is wet everyday, but now it is so cold that I havn't washed my hair in two weeks.:rolleyes: It's so cold that I wrap up my hair and then put on a hat, so no nothing gross gets on my hair anyways, so it might as well be dry. Besides, I don't ever get greasy, my scalp is dry, it can afford to miss a wash. To keep my length from getting dry I have included a homemade leave in to detangle and moisturize.

What is the homemade leave in you use, is it just water and conditioner? And if so do you use a cone or cone free conditioner?

Stagecoach
January 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Twice a week. I could spread it a out a bit in the winter, but I wouldn't be able to go a whole week and I like to wash my hair for Sunday so it works easier to just wash it twice a week.

Xandergrammy
January 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I wash mine twice a week all year round. My scalp gets stinky if I go too long! :gabigrin:

maunaloa
January 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
I was washing every couple of days, but I am aiming for once a week now. My hair has gotten really dry.