PDA

View Full Version : Face framing layers questions

Curlsgirl
January 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I am supposed to NOT trim in 2009 but well I did decide to get a tiny trim on Thursday when I get my highlights. I have been thinking for a long time about a few face-framing layers. Is there any bad thing about these? I already have eyebrow length bangs and I love them. I just want a little hair to pull out to soften my face with updos. What should I tell my stylist if I do decide to do this? Any suggestions? TIA!

harpyangel
January 14th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I got an eyebrow length fringe cut on monday, I just asked for the fringe to get longer to the sides so it kind of graduates down and frames the face nicely so the fringe doesn't look too blunt.

Does that make sense? Probably not. Hope it helps anyway
Angelina xxx

RocketDog
January 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have face-framing bits, and LOVE them. The only down-side is that there are days when they will NOT lay correctly, which can be frustrating since they aren't long enough to tuck into a braid/ponytail.

If you're getting them professionally cut in, I'd take in LOTS of pictures explaining what you want, and have the stylist start with LESS hair than you actually want for the fringe. It's easier to cut in MORE later than it is to grow out a too-thick fringe!

amaiaisabella
January 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
If you do end up with those face-framing layers, don't start them any higher than, say, collarbone. Otherwise you'll have a grand old time getting them into an updo :rolleyes: I believe hairstylists refer to them as angles, though if you clearly demonstrate what you want you shouldn't have any problem.

embee
January 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
What she said - Make sure your face-framing layers are long enough to tuck up if you wish. Nothing like a bunch of too-short straggly bits dangling down when you want smooth and sleek! ;)

Rohele
January 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I've called them "little wisps of hair to pull out when I put it up", and got what I wanted (more a tendril effect than big hunks if hair). My stylist usually just sort if slides her scissors down the edge of my hair rather than just cutting anything (probably not the gentlest method on the hair in retrospect).

There is no downside for me (since I look like an old frumpy librarian without them, especially now, since I'm approaching 40). Usually I've had them as such fine pieces they can easily blend with the rest of my hair when its down.

I agree to start with less than you want and longer than you want (and to bring pictures of what you want).

I'm searching for pics as well, I go for a trim at the end of the month and was planning ask for this too!

spidermom
January 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I would go so far as to separate out the amount of hair that you want to devote to face-framing layers and tuck the rest securely away. Definitely find pictures that you like.

I decided no trim July 18 2008 through July 18 2009 and am astounded by how fast my fringe is growing. They used to go from cheek-bone to collar-bone. Now they're nearly collar-bone at the shortest. Zounds!

rymorg2
January 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey Curlsgirl!

That's angling in the front. Be sure to tell the stylist where you want it to start and that you don't want a deep angle (otherwise it'll go into the back and you'll get more of a V shape) but just slight angling towards your face in the front. Use your hands to show where you want it to start and stop.

Does that help?

brok3nwings
January 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
i would suggest the same thing as spidermom. i did the same thing once and it worked but even so you have to be very careful about hairdressers and scissors ;)

Curlsgirl
January 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm so glad I asked this. I knew you all would be helpful! I have some good suggestions here. I am still sort of leary about someone cutting my hair other than just a trim to the length. Not sure I can do it. I will know what to say if I decide to though.

Demetrue
January 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
When my hair was classic length, I cut tendrils to frame my face when I pulled my hair back. What I did was pull all my hair back into a pony tail, then use a rat-tail comb to part a tiny section of hair above each ear and pull it out of the pony tail. Then I pulled both pieces together in front of my similar to Feye's self trimming method, and cut them at collar bone length. Eventually I went back and cut them a bit shorter to follow the sweep of my jaw line and frame my chin. Since my hair was not curly, sometimes I would curl the tendrils with pin curls over night and then wear them down when I pulled the rest of my hair back in an updo.

darkwaves
January 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
The only caution I would offer is to make sure the stylist doesn't razor cut -- or slide her scissors down the edges. If your hair is anything like mine (fine and dry), that's an instant recipe for splits, splits, splits.

I like this idea:
I cut tendrils to frame my face when I pulled my hair back. What I did was pull all my hair back into a pony tail, then use a rat-tail comb to part a tiny section of hair above each ear and pull it out of the pony tail....

Demetrue -- how thick a section did you cut?

Demetrue
January 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I like this idea:

Demetrue -- how thick a section did you cut?

a very small portion, maybe 1/2 - 1 inch across, but only 1/4" wide.

Curlsgirl
January 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
When my hair was classic length, I cut tendrils to frame my face when I pulled my hair back. What I did was pull all my hair back into a pony tail, then use a rat-tail comb to part a tiny section of hair above each ear and pull it out of the pony tail. Then I pulled both pieces together in front of my similar to Feye's self trimming method, and cut them at collar bone length. Eventually I went back and cut them a bit shorter to follow the sweep of my jaw line and frame my chin. Since my hair was not curly, sometimes I would curl the tendrils with pin curls over night and then wear them down when I pulled the rest of my hair back in an updo.
I did that once a while back but I guess I was scared I would cut too much and I can't even tell where I did it now :eek: I am just a scaredy-cat I guess. I am so afraid I won't like it and have to let it grow out. I might wait a while longer to make sure.

Curlsgirl
January 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Okay well I chickened out of the cutting, even the trimming.:o I just got the highlights. Decided I didn't want a trim after all. I don't really need it. I asked her about the face framing wisps starting at about chin and then got scared LOL.

rymorg2
January 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Okay well I chickened out of the cutting, even the trimming.:o I just got the highlights. Decided I didn't want a trim after all. I don't really need it. I asked her about the face framing wisps starting at about chin and then got scared LOL.

LOL that's ok curlsgirl....better you decide you want to wait than to get it done and hate it. :shrug:

Curlsgirl
January 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
LOL that's ok curlsgirl....better you decide you want to wait than to get it done and hate it. :shrug:

My thoughts exactly! It takes SO long to grow out hair ACKKKKK!!!