PDA

View Full Version : Protein loss

BlndeInDisguise
January 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM
What causes hair to lose protein? Or maybe, what causes hair to need protein? :confused: I guess what I'm asking is, why does some hair love protein and some hair hate protein?

Would doing really harsh things to your hair make difference, such as dying a lot or heat?

rymorg2
January 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM
What causes hair to lose protein? Or maybe, what causes hair to need protein? :confused: I guess what I'm asking is, why does some hair love protein and some hair hate protein?

Would doing really harsh things to your hair make difference, such as dying a lot or heat?

It usually takes chemical processes to make the hair need protein. Usually. So if you color, highlight, or do perms, chances are at some point you'll need it.

Heat styling will make your hair need moisture, not protein.

And everyone's hair is different....some people just have stronger hair. My hair is pretty resiliant but it still gets to a point it needs protein treatments.

BlndeInDisguise
January 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
It usually takes chemical processes to make the hair need protein. Usually. So if you color, highlight, or do perms, chances are at some point you'll need it.

Heat styling will make your hair need moisture, not protein.

And everyone's hair is different....some people just have stronger hair. My hair is pretty resiliant but it still gets to a point it needs protein treatments.

Thanks for the response. :)

What about hair like mine that has never had any kind of chemical stuff on it at all, but yet doesn't really mind protein? It doesn't LOVE it, but it doesn't make it feel really crunchy or anything.

Or is it just my hair being weird again? :o:p

Aisha25
January 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Mine too likes protien and love moisture but my hair is virgin and never has heat done to them well aside from the henna apps I do.

rymorg2
January 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the response. :)

What about hair like mine that has never had any kind of chemical stuff on it at all, but yet doesn't really mind protein? It doesn't LOVE it, but it doesn't make it feel really crunchy or anything.

Or is it just my hair being weird again? :o:p

Well, that's possible too, but hair likes it more when it's damaged. Just watch for the crunchies and it's fine.

Elainehali
January 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
bleach makes little holes in the hair, and protein fills them in.

Flaxen
January 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Protein loss occurs, too, when combing wet hair. You've heard that hair is fragile and stretches then; well, it's fragile enough to have protein scraped away by the comb, as well.

Aisha25
January 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Protein loss occurs, too, when combing wet hair. You've heard that hair is fragile and stretches then; well, it's fragile enough to have protein scraped away by the comb, as well.
Ouch good thing I dont do this. Now I know a really good reason to never ever do this in the future;)

Fantak
January 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mu hair is virgin with almost no heat styling (I've used heated curlers several times in the past five years) and it loves protein.

I got frustrated at that too especially since I get a lot of protein in my diet as well! I guess it's just like rymorg2 said, different types of hair need different things.

BlndeInDisguise
January 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Really? How sad....now I'm going to have to decide whether to comb wet when it's easier to comb, or wait until it's dry and try to gently work through the tangles. :(:D

wintersun99
January 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM
i had this book marked after doing some research after melting my hair with bleach*eek*

Protein and Moisture

Scenario 1: Kim’s hair is breaking like crazy and feels like a brillo pad. Every time she touches it, pieces seem to just pop right off. Snap, crackle, pop. Combing is impossible without tons of little hairs covering her sink and back. Her hair feels hard and rough even when wet. She’s given it protein treatments because the product says its supposed to stop breakage in its tracks and rebuild the hair, but so far nothing is working and her problem is getting worse.

Scenario 2: Trina’s hair is breaking like crazy as well. Her hair feels dry, looks dull, and is very weak. Her hair is too weak to withstand simple combing. It feels extra stretchy when wet and almost follows the comb as she pulls through to detangle. She’s deep conditioned and done hot oil treatments on her hair once a week. Since her breakage began, she’s stepped up the conditioning but her problem has gotten worse.

Both of these women have issues with breakage, but the solutions to their individual problems require two very different approaches. Before you go shopping for your hair care product arsenal, you must understand the difference between protein and moisture and what they mean for your hair. Protein and moisture are the key cornerstones of great hair care. Maintaining a proper balance between these two entities is critical for the healthiest hair growth possible. The two scenarios above perfectly illustrate what happens when the balance between protein and moisture is tipped too far in either direction. This section will teach you to effectively recognize the difference between protein based and moisture based problems and help you can organize your hair regimen to effectively combat these issues as the arise.

Protein

Protein is what gives the hair its strength and structure. Hair is about 70% keratin protein by nature. Protein is found most prevalently in products like instant conditioners (bargain brands like Suave and V05), leave in conditioners, protein conditioner treatments, and even some moisturizers.

Moisturizers

Moisturizers are products that are water-based and nourish your hair deep within the strand. Water is the ultimate moisturizer so waterbased products are best for really getting the best moisture benefit. Products with moisturizing properties tend to be your conditioners and other water-based products. Moisturizers may also be protein-based, but these protein based moisturizers do not have the moisturizing benefit that moisture-based moisturizers have. Good moisturizers will not contain ingredients like petrolatum, mineral oil, or lanolin. These are cheap product fillers. Be wary of products that claim moisturizing benefits and contain these ingredients. There is nothing moisturizing about them! Petrolatum and mineral oil are sealants and have the potential to suffocate the hair and scalp and seal out the moisture it needs.

this page was taken from the blackhairmedia website and was posted bymizzslick

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/printer_friendly_posts.asp?TID=22392