PDA

View Full Version : Need help with side french braids

sahiba
January 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I can manage french braid fairly well but I want to know how to do them on side hairs . I mean the way April elf braided her small sections in the first step here
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=57
I want to know how to english or dutch braid them. Can anyone give me the link or instructions please ?

Nini
January 14th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Practise, practise, practise...

It's the same as a regular French braid, you just have to figure out where to put your fingers, and what hair to add to the braid.

The first braid in the picture is just a regular braid with a French braid base. I'm not quite sure it that's the braid you're after, or if you want to French braid all your hair?

Nini

sahiba
January 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I want to do two side french braids and then regular braid the entire hair and then bun it. Hope its clear. :o

Sherri
January 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I want to do two side french braids and then regular braid the entire hair and then bun it. Hope its clear. :o
Is this what you mean. This is a dutch on the sides but not single in the back it is double in the back.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/Sherri3_2006/STA70474.jpg

sahiba
January 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
:agree: How do you do them?

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I don't know how to put pics in posts...or if I even have enough posts to do that yet...but there is a pic in my 2008 album on my profile, of 2 French braids braided together past my neck...maybe that's what you mean, and then bunned? That's fairly easy to do. Just make sure when you part your hair, that you put the unused side in a ponytail, or otherwise secured away while you're working on the other side...or you'll end up dragging hairs over and making the part uneven. Mine (in the pic) was done pretty quickly, and therefore quite sloppily IMO. LOL. But it's really no different from the regular French braid. I even braid it from the same position, with my hands behind my head, instead of to the side.

When you come to the nape of your neck with the first braid, secure it with an elastic band (ouchless, of course!) while you work on the second. I would actually braid a little farther down though, because it's easier to braid them together when you have more slack to work with, if that makes sense. Then when you get the second one done, take the elastic out of the first, and combine the strands...you should have six, so just combine 2 together at a time, until you just have 3 strands remaining. Then braid down as normal. Bun it the way you would normally a braided bun, or any other way that looks good. :)

I hope this helps!

sahiba
January 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Actually what I want to know is how to make french braid of small sections of hair , say as half up , and then braid the entire hair from back and then make it into a bun. The half up needs instruction as half braid .:-(

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I don't think I've ever done that before, LOL. It sounds like the key to this is to make sure to keep your different parts separated so they don't bunch together and jumble up your braids. But I wouldn't imagine it would be any harder than a regular side French braid...just put the bottom hairs into an elastic by themselves, so they don't get in the way, and stop the braid when it gets to the point you want it. I hope someone can help! I'm sorry I'm not much help. :(

Periwinkle
January 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'd like to see this too. I can French braid perfectly, as long as it's only one braid, but as soon as you start talking about two braids...how do you part the hair at the top? What made French braids click for me was seeing dreamweaver's illustration of parting hair in a triangle...how do you do it for double braids?

Sherri
January 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
:agree: How do you do them?
I learned this style from here (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm) about middle ways down the page.

sahiba
January 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I think I was not clear in what I wanted so finally I discovered the picture to ( which was always there but my eyes were not :oops: )explain myself better. I want instructions for this style please http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/pics/long/L005/

Sherri
January 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
It is just two french braids when you get to the back just do an english braid down the length. It is very pretty.

maskedrose
January 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Are you thinking about something like my avatar? If so, it's really easy to transition a regular french braid/dutch braid into two side braids. I part my hair all the way down the middle into two sections, secure one with a hair band to keep it out of the way, and then braid the other side just like you would a regular french braid, but taking sections from the each side of the section you're working with (ie, next to your part and next to your face/neck). Once each side is braided all the way back to the nape of the neck, I secure both sides together with a hairband, and then make a bun, securing that with a hairstick.

Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it!

Anje
January 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It's not that different to do two braids, as opposed to one. First you part your hair down the middle of your head, and secure one side. With a style like Sahiba posted, I would then divide the hair for the half-up from the hair that is going to remain down, and would secure the bottom portion so that the hair in that section doesn't get mixed with the half-up hair.

Start braiding close to the front. You don't necessarily need to take a triangular section to start -- I tend to take a section with a flat back, from near the forehead. French braid backward until you've used all the hair that isn't secured, then braid down a few passes and fasten the braid. Repeat with the other side, join the braids.

The main key, as I see it, is to get all your parting out of the way first, and clip all the hair that isn't going into a given braid securely out of the way.

Hope that makes sense to anyone other than me.

teela1978
January 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I think the hard part is joining the 2 braids together. I would think that it wouldn't matter which strands you combined, but as long as you go from 6-strands down to 3-strands by combining strands from each braid, you would get something similar to your 2nd link. It's probably difficult to do without help.

Masara
January 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
For the joining the two strands together part, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you braid each braid until the next move would be from the outside of your head to towards the centre and you link them at that point. I usually braid slightly beyond the point I want to join my braids and then grab them together at where I want to join them and braid them together from there. But I have tried doing it the way I mentioned above and the join is alot smoother.

sahiba
January 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you all of you . When I get the hang of this style I'll definitely post the pic so you guys can see and correct me :) Thanks again.