PDA

View Full Version : Looong Backpacking Trip - What about my hair?!!

inglorian
January 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey guys,

This summer I'll be doing a 3-month long section hike of the Appalachian Trail.

It's gonna be hot, it's gonna be humid, it's gonna be strenuous, I won't be able to wash it as often, and I'm gonna be sleeping outdoors...in other words, not the best conditions for keeping hair healthy.

I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas for hiking hairstyles and general maintenance? It's probably going to be around BSL or slightly longer. Most female hikers cut their hair. I really don't want to have to cut it, but I'm worried about dealing with tangles and general annoyance.

I need something that will do well in between sporadic washings (we'll only venture into town every 4-7 days) and will keep it relatively free of tangles, not too hot, and out of my way.

Thanks!

MusingFrog
January 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I know a lot of the hiking enthusiasts on here wear buffs. You could look into those. If I were you, I would braid my hair or bun my hair in the morning, take it down at night to either let loose or braid, then comb and re-due in the morning. Obviously not a big comb or anything either, just something you can slip into your pack. I'd probably use a scrunchie.

If you aren't used to putting your hair up quickly and efficiently, I'd start practicing now so that when the trip comes up getting your hair so it will stay all day isn't something you have to worry about.

sweetestday
January 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
If it were me, I'd put it in one or two tight french braids, and keep a bandana on everyday. That way the oily hair won't be as noticable, and the bandana will keep it from getting frizzy or caught in branches. :)

Elphie
January 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking along the same lines as sweetestday; I'd probably opt for dutch pigtails. You might not need to even do them everyday.

sweetestday
January 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Oh, and have fun! I've always dreamed of going on a long, Appalachian Trail hike. :)

Kleis
January 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Put on the backpack you're going to use, load up your gear so it's the same ultimate height, and experiment. I'd recommend keeping double braids in mind. For me, anything bun-like doesn't work with either a hat or a tall backpack. And then, take along whatever detangling supplies you feel you need. Again, for me, I'd take my comb and a small plastic squeeze container of jojoba oil.

You've got plenty of time before summer to also experiment with different hairstyles on dayhikes or training hikes. Really, just go with what is comfortable for shorter periods and plan on extending it out.

Elphie
January 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'd also be sure to take a hat of some kind or wear a style that you don't mind applying a little sunscreen to your scalp with.

shwankie
January 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am a long-distance hiker, and depending on which section of the AT you're on, you'll pass right by us!!!

I actually think long hair is easier hiking than short hair, and it's a great way to put it on a really low-impact routine. I put it in Dutch braids, poke the braids back under themselves or in a bun, then secure with clips, pins, whatever, then tie a bandana over it to 1) keep it out of my face, 2) protect it from the sun, and 3) protect my poor scalp from the sun. The braids get done once a day, or after I get a bath. Days when I am doing them dry, they get only finger combed. Wet, they get combed with my wide-toothed pick.

Tips (you may already know these):
-Apply sunscreen to any parts in your hair.
-Use baking soda between washes to help soak up grease (no one on the AT cares what you look like, trust me).
-There are streams all along the AT. Don't drink from them, but they're darn fine for swimming and bathing in. Many of these are just deep enough to stick your head into. Not ideal, but do-able. There are plenty of environmentally friendly hiker 'poos, or you can use 'poo bars, and I'd stick to scalp-only washes.
-Bug spray your hair, too, especially anywhere in SNP. Oh, dear lord, the flies. If you can, bring netting. It'll be easier than getting them out of your hair. Ugh, my least favorite part of summer hiking. Keeping it braided and up will help with this a lot, too.

Have a great time, and we hope to see pics!!

Teazel
January 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
My last hiking trip was admittedly only 4 days, not 3 months (!!!), but almond oil saved me. I slathered my hair in it, then put it in a single plait and left it there, apart from combing it out and re-plaiting every morning. During the day I would put it up in a pinless braided bun to keep it out of the way of my pack, then just pulled the hairstick out for sleeping.

Heavy oiling makes everything a breeze: no worries with detangling or fuzzing, and your hair is protected. I'd also second covering everything up with a Buff or bandana.

Enjoy your trip! :grin:

Sissy
January 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
If it were me, I'd put it in one or two tight french braids, and keep a bandana on everyday. That way the oily hair won't be as noticable, and the bandana will keep it from getting frizzy or caught in branches. :)

This is a very good suggestion.

Dianyla
January 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Put on the backpack you're going to use, load up your gear so it's the same ultimate height, and experiment. I'd recommend keeping double braids in mind. For me, anything bun-like doesn't work with either a hat or a tall backpack. And then, take along whatever detangling supplies you feel you need. Again, for me, I'd take my comb and a small plastic squeeze container of jojoba oil.

You've got plenty of time before summer to also experiment with different hairstyles on dayhikes or training hikes. Really, just go with what is comfortable for shorter periods and plan on extending it out.
Ditto ditto. While I really prefer a bun to keep the ends protected, most of my big packs don't allow a comfortable bun. Sometimes, for short 1-3 day trips, I'll just wear a very low bun anyways but it does bother my neck a bit. I would never do a long trip >1 week with a poor ergonomic setup like that.

I would just keep it in some kind of permabraid. Learn to make very tight snug and neat braid - single or double. Then, every few days, unbraid it, comb/brush out the shed hairs, remoisturize with oil, and rebraid it again. Keep the braid tassel very well oiled and try to keep it reasonably clean. One way to manage this is to lay the braid comfortably on your shoulders when you're wearing your pack. Then, when you're in camp, twist the braids up around a hairstick into a bun and that will keep them from picking up too much dirt from sitting/stepping on them.

I also really like a horn comb for scritching and exfoliating my scalp. This kind of "dry preening" can really help stretch out the time between washes, as well as alleviate itching from sebum and skin buildup. You can technically go months without washing your hair as long as you keep preening your scalp, and frankly a braid hides all sorts of waxy/greasy sins. You might also check out the Water Only washing thread, this would be a great time to try something like this.

If your hair can tolerate the heavier butters/fats, you might prefer to pack along coconut oil since it's usually solid at room temp (although, I do realize you said AT not PCT so it might well be melted most of the trip). A little tub of these would be less messy than a squirt-bottle of a liquid oil. Either way, ziplog bag it.

I highly recommend getting a buff. It's much more comfortable than any other headcovering I've tried. Buffs work really well to keep wispies out of your eyes and wick away sweat/oil. Also, pulling the buff over your ears helps keep bugs out. You can get thicker/warmer buffs for cold weather and sleeping, and lightweight buffs for hot weather. Wetting the buff down can really help cool you off in the heat.

The best part is when you unbraid your hair, and then it goes POOF (http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyonwren/410536894/in/set-72157594564932444/)! (That's a photo that Kleis took of me after my hair had been in hiking permabraids for 2 weeks.)

RocketDog
January 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
if it were me, I'd take the opportunity to try WO/SO haircare, since nobody's really caring about appearances out in the big beautiful wilderness! Have fun on your trip - I'd LOVE to do something like that someday!!!

Nini
January 14th, 2009, 02:44 AM
There are also these: Blue Sky Scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/scrub-hats-caps/)

Nini

inglorian
January 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for the great tips! Looks like I'll definitely have to practice my braiding technique!

Thanks to everyone who suggested a buff - my dad's a hiker too and happens to have one, so I think I'll have to steal it. :)

Dianyla, I love that pic. If you handle hiking with SO much hair (!), I'm sure I'll be able to manage with my puny BSL-length.

Shwankie, I hope we'll run into one another! What is your trail name?

florenonite
January 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Two snug French braids. Honestly, when I go canoe tripping I leave those things in for up to a week at a time (the longest I've tripped for is six weeks). Cover them with a hat, as this serves the dual purpose of protecting your part and face from sun as well as concealing grease.

I don't wash my hair at all when canoe tripping, so, yes, I went forty-two days without washing it, though I did scrub at my scalp underwater. It's a good opportunity to try out WO, and had I known more about it two and a half years ago when I did my six-week trip I would have tried harder to stay that way upon returning to the city.

littleredlx
January 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
My uncle walked that whole trail and he has always had long soft hair. i asked him what he did and he said he wore it in a oiled braid and had a bandanna on the whole time. He said every other town they stopped in he washed his hair.

ImperfectBrat
January 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Depending on what section of the trail you are hiking, wild plants are a good 'poo if you feel you need it and won't be in town.

Look for things like nettle, rosemary, Dandelion, clover and things of that sort. I'm fairly sure there are good guides online for different hair types.

Oh - oil well.

Birchbark
January 15th, 2009, 11:41 PM
You should also think about how your hairstyle will fit in with your pack and clothes. A single braid doesn't fit well with my pack, a bun will come loose too often and not fit well with my hats, and double braids are nice but catch on the velcro and zippers on my jackets. A buff fails miserably at holding up any of my hair. I used to really like to ponytail my hair and braid the tail into lots of little braids, but I haven't used that technique for more than a few days out. At some point I get fed up and want to comb out the snarls and pick out all the smashed mosquito bits and dried sunscreen clods, which is way easier to do with shower access.

So I've used double braids and a ponytail of mini braids with moderate success. For skiing and winter hiking I've taken to tucking double braids into my ski headband like low heidi braids. You actually look pretty ridiculous, but no clips or pins, and it stays neat.