PDA

View Full Version : Most outrageous thing I could do to my hair without damaging it?

Airmide
January 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to think, what is the most outrageous thing I could do to my hair that would be very temporary and not cause any damage?

Obviously cutting it in any way is out. Dying it is out. I think even the temporary type dyes last a little while, and cause a fair amount of damage right? I *might* consider a temporary dye, but ONLY if I could get it a cotton candy pink, and it wouldn't last long or do hardly any damage. And with my hair color I don't think that color would be possible without bleaching anyway.

I've only used "product" once in my life - when I was 7 mousse was required for a ballet exam. I've never used hair spray or gel (aside from aloe vera gel, and even that I find a little drying)

So what options does that leave me?

So far, though I regularly wear my hair that way, pigtails, ponytails and princess leia buns are fairly uncommon. But what else is there?

serabelle
January 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Italian Renaissance Hair Taping? :)

It's just a style, but I wasn't quite sure what you were looking for.

http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html

Airmide
January 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Oooh great idea! I was thinking more along the lines of pink mohawk, but hair taping is a pretty non-typical style!

lizzyjo
January 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
What about spray on hair color? I've never used it, but I'd imagine it washes right out.

serabelle
January 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
What about spray on hair color? I've never used it, but I'd imagine it washes right out.

Just don't do black!!! Black is evil, and on light hair you never know how things will turn out :/ I had a friend who used that on blond hair for an opera, and it took ages to come out.

Oooh great idea! I was thinking more along the lines of pink mohawk, but hair taping is a pretty non-typical style!

A mohawk? lol, sorry - but your hair is soooooo long, I can't imagine how that would work! You'd need someone on a ladder to do it for you. That said - it would be SO unbelievably awesome.

Someone posted that hair taping link today on another website, and her pictures were GORGEOUS. She used a black ribbon, and braided the hair that went around her head instead of twisting it. It was absolutely stunning.

rapunzhell13
January 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Perhaps a cotton candy pink wig? That's really all I can think of...

nienna42
January 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Lots of itty bitty braids would take forever with your hair, but it would look amazing.

Aside from that, I don't really have any ideas. :shrug: The only things that come to mind are wigs, dread falls, and clip-in extensions, but those aren't really your hair. But then, that might be a good thing--you could get your pink hair without any damage or residue. I've heard the temporary pink dyes can be pretty permanent on blond hair.

beehives
January 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Just don't do black!!! Black is evil, and on light hair you never know how things will turn out :/ I had a friend who used that on blond hair for an opera, and it took ages to come out.

I wouldn't actually use any color on light hair! I was blonde as a child and decided to let someone at a school carnival spray my hair green and pink. Horrible stain.

ole gray mare
January 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Why oh Why, dear Airmide???

You could do what I did recently...lemon koolaid. Ah, yes...one of my better plans. NOT!

Airmide
January 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
A wig could be fun! That also gave me the idea of Sailor Moon style/Anime hairstyles.

My hair is golden in the sunlight, and a dark honey brown in most lights. I think I'm overdue for a new sig picture. I'm trying to get it a little lighter again too, with honey and sometimes a tiny bit of lemon juice.

chrissy-b
January 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I remember someone on here did a bun mowhawk (it's exactly what it sounds like). You could do that and then use the spray on pink hair color. I've used the spray on and while it's pretty drying, it does come out. You could twist your hair around wire and make some pretty outlandish styles that stick out of your head...Medusa-esque.

Is Manic Panic a completely wash out color, too? Anyone? Well, if it is, there's another option for some bright colors.

Airmide
January 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Omg bun mohawk!! What a fantastic idea!! I'm going to try that and see how it works out. I could put some crazy hair toys in it too probably!

Roseate
January 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Is Manic Panic a completely wash out color, too? Anyone? Well, if it is, there's another option for some bright colors.

It does wash out, though if you choose a darker color on lighter hair it can take a looong time. But it has no peroxide, so once it washes out it's gone and you're back to normal.

I've done my dark blonde hair a vibrant eggplant with Manic Panic, and it took several months to wash out, but caused no damage. Maybe the OP could try dyeing just a few locks at the nape? Then she'll have the option to hide it or show it- the fun of pink hair with relatively low risk. And pink hair is fun!:redgrin:

Airmide
January 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Well, I am looking for something very temporary. But easily hideable pink streaks is *incredibly* tempting!

So far mohawk bun is the frontrunner. I did 3 beebutts. It would be way better if I could do 4, but after my horrific experience with mini-beebutts trying to get curls and instead getting a combo of rats nests and dreadlocks that took about 4 hours of painstaking untangling and caused massive hair loss....I'm a little paranoid to let the size of the beebutt get much smaller than 1/3 of my hair or so.

nienna42
January 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Oh! The mohawk bun thing reminded me of this site (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/), for some reason. See her "indescribable" section, in particular. Some of those styles are definitely outrageous! :lol: I think I originally found it when someone on LHC linked to it, but perhaps you haven't seen it yet.

ETA: She doesn't seem to have style instructions, sadly, but it might serve as inspiration, anyway.

sklent
January 14th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Maybe if you know someone that can braid a little, you could do a mohawk with cornrows, braid the sides to the back or braid them upwards. Your hair is too long to stand up of course, but i've seen a few pictures, and it's something i've always wanted to do on my own hair! You probably have enough hair to cover the braids/cornrows with the loose hair when you want to hide it.

eiyela
January 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Does anyone remember what KBF's faux dreadlocks tutorial looked like? Otherwise that might be an idea.

Anje
January 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I seem to remember Spidermom posting a braid mohawk (several sections of hair each in an english braid, down the center of her head). Something like that could be pretty funky.

WritingPrincess
January 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Lots of itty bitty braids would take forever with your hair, but it would look amazing.

Aside from that, I don't really have any ideas. :shrug: The only things that come to mind are wigs, dread falls, and clip-in extensions, but those aren't really your hair. But then, that might be a good thing--you could get your pink hair without any damage or residue. I've heard the temporary pink dyes can be pretty permanent on blond hair.
If you go for the minibraids, just don't secure them with rubber bands if they're going to be in for more than a day or so, especially if you sleep in them. I wore little braids for a week, tied with tiny rubber bands, and I got a lot of breakage and splits, which I'm still trying to S&D out.

lora410
January 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Clip on extensions in pink?

Unnamed
January 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Other than the mini braids (first thought!), a short wig (you know, like a bob), or the pony/bun/braid mohawk things (wire might help give height, if say you wrap braids around something that zigzagged up a few inches...er, hard to explain that thought, sorry), would be pink fake hair added somehow.

Now, to get it to really match in with something, you'd have to probably buy it loose (I think it's about 48" long, if not folded in half--I have some purple I want to do something with, just haven't taken the time to mess with it :lol: ) and make your own, either a clip in streak or clip in layer (either with hot glue or sew your own weft, which is what I wanted to fiddle with with the purple I have--so it may or may not be easily doable) to put underneath or something. Or in a bun, but I'd think that'd be more obviously fake than a layer all the way across, say just above the nape, as it would blend it more (whether loose, braided, or bunned) instead of being in one chunk.

Teakafrog
January 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
You could do yarn braids with pink yarn.

freznow
January 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Clip on extensions in pink?

That's what I was thinking. You could probably get some at Sally's or somesuch? And then you could have a few streaks of pink running into your bun mohawk!

There's also the option of just making a bun and sticking every stick you own into it. :cheese: Hedgehog!

You could do an upside down french/dutch braid and make a bun at the top of your head.

Umm that's all I can think of for now.

HairColoredHair
January 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hair Falls!

This is one of my two pairs: (I was just trying them on.)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a192/ForensicVette/Picture319b.jpg

Clip in hair color streaks are fun too!

Cryspatus
January 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
You could wear one of these hair hats.. . They're pretty outrageous :p

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/zzzpenchant/hairhat05.jpg

http://www.hemmy.net/2008/06/11/nagi-noda-bizarre-animal-hair-hats/

Then there's these dreadlock hair extensions that are pretty popular among goths...

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/zzzpenchant/misc/xwynterx.jpg

That's all I can think of

Airmide
January 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Wow thank you for all the fantastic ideas!!! I think I have enough ideas that if I end up needing to do something crazy I'll be able to hehe. But it's still fun seeing everything everyone is coming up with!! If I try any of them I will be sure to post pictures lol.

Xanthippe
January 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
You could wear one of these hair hats.. . They're pretty outrageous :p

<snip>

http://www.hemmy.net/2008/06/11/nagi-noda-bizarre-animal-hair-hats/

Whoa. :bigeyes: That is.. I'm not sure if that's amazing or scary.

Hope you figure something out Airmide!

VLoving
January 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
A few years ago I had a fling with hot pink...I had gotten my hair highlighted bleach blonde and low-lighted with a dark burgundy(four years later and I do not have any evidence that a this occurred J) It was sheer chance that I stumbled into a salon one day and found this HOT PINK bottle of Redken conditioner. The product is supposed to be used as part of a color maintenance routine for “red heads”. It deposits color back into/onto the hair. I figured that my burgundy streaks could use this miracle treatment. So I bought it went along my merry way and proceeded to drench my highlights and all in it. (and yes I was aware that my WHITE might go PINK)

I remember that my hair took on a reddish hue compared to the rest but it was nothing like the Hot Pink highlights. I do not know if you hair is too dark to have a noticeable difference in color or if this product is still available. I used to see this stuff in salons in the mall. I still have a half tube of it if you need the exact name of the product. FYI it does contain a lot of cones if that is something you are watching out for.

Just throwing an idea out there...:)

Cinnamon Hair
January 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Oh! The mohawk bun thing reminded me of this site (http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/), for some reason. See her "indescribable" section, in particular. Some of those styles are definitely outrageous! :lol: I think I originally found it when someone on LHC linked to it, but perhaps you haven't seen it yet.

ETA: She doesn't seem to have style instructions, sadly, but it might serve as inspiration, anyway.

That website of Star Wars styles reminds me of a member here named Starfilly. She has a page with photo instructions for all kinds of outrageous hairstyles.

Upon further inspection, no wonder it reminds me of her, that is Starfilly's site. Here is the old site (http://www.geocities.com/starfilly714/hair/hairindex.html) of hers I was thinking of.

Chiaroscuro
October 8th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Any more harmless ideas for Halloween?

Here is a website of sci-fi/fantasy movie hairstyle instructions. Many of the links are broken, but what's left is still quite interesting.
http://imaginary-styles.iwarp.com/

CurlyCap
October 9th, 2014, 02:32 AM
For people with straight hair, hair that is first dosed with gelatin (for hold) and gel eyeshadow (for color)...and then put into straw curls. Rag curls might do if you use very small sections (and be more comfortable to sleep in).

It's be a riot of curls, very colorful, and it'll all wash away.

Chiaroscuro
October 9th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Great idea, CurlyCap.

Catatafish
October 10th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I can't wait until I have enough hair to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1G8CALU4Ps

Stray_mind
October 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I'd say Manic panic semi permanent vegan hair dye...