PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on my sideswept "fringe", please (pics)

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 02:07 AM
So, here's the problem: I wear my hair up, always. The "loosest" I wear it is in a ponytail, but even that is a rare occurence.
I have a rather long face, and the updos add severity to that. I have tried a cut-in fringe in the past, but it drove me crazy within the time it took to get from the hairdresser to my car (it was windy, and the fringe was all over the place). So I clipped it back until it grew out.

So this morning I tried the "fake" version mentioned here so often: I separated a part of my hair, did my updo, then put it in place and pinned it.

But: I feel like I look like a certain German dictator from the 1930s, if you catch my drift:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/47659/LHC/DSCN2676.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/47659/LHC/DSCN2677.jpg

What do you guys think? I usually love a side swept fringe on other people (Jennifer Love Hewitt comes immediately to my mind).
Am I doing something wrong?

Any comments are appreciated - I promise I won't get mad at you if you say I look crappy :D

sandrak
March 27th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Crappy?? I don't think so! Your hair looks lovely styled like that. I love your hair color too.

Katze
March 27th, 2008, 02:44 AM
No way is it crappy. I see this 'do (style and color) a lot where I live (Bremen) and sometimes even wear it myself, but I have to clip my bangs in order to achieve it. If you were blonde, then had a scarf on over that sweater, and rode a black "Hollandrad" bike, you'd look like 50% of the women in our city with that hairdo.

Maybe you just aren't used to it, so it looks weird? I have that problem with many updos.

And don't worry, you don't look like a bad historical personality. He had a much different face structure, not to mention the facial hair! ;)

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Thanks, girls! :flower:

Maybe I am just overly critical myself.
Oh, and my bangs are clipped, but in the back. I put them back, wrapped them around the high ponytail I'm wearing today, and then clipped them. And I am blond, although strawberry blonde. And I like Bremen!

tiny_teesha
March 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
No i think it looks pretty real! it looks nice. I think a side swept fringe can suit pretty much everyone. ( i have one ;)....well i will once my fringe grows out.... I prefer the logn fringe on me but i shake it up a lot for something different since the rest of my hair stays the same.

Sarahmoon
March 27th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I think it looks quite nice! Should try that too myself some time.

Just one question, what do you do with the length of the "fringe" when you don't include it in the updo? My hair is hip length so I would have a quite long piece of "loose" hair left.

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Sarahmoon, I haven't tried it with a "real" updo yet. Maybe you could bin the fringe in place first, then take the whole length and put it in your updo? An alternative may be to make the updo, pin the fringe, and then try to hide the lenght somwhere in the bun.

Katze
March 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Miss Murphy, what about pinning the bangs straight back? My bangs are shorter - from eyebrow to chin length - and I can do all kinds of things with twisting them straight back (to hold the shorter bits), pinning them in different ways (straight or "poofed" a bit) and at different spots to get different looks. The more I play with my long bangs and side layers, the more surprised I am at how many different looks I can get!

Thanks for saying you like Bremen - I really do, too, especially when the sun shines as it is now!

Alley Cat
March 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I think it looks very pretty :inlove:

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Awww, you really are all so sweet! :flower:

Maybe I'm just not used to seeing myself like that. Katze, I'm a bit hesitant to pouff them up and pin them back - I'm scared it might make my face even longer...

Calista
March 27th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Miss Murphy, I hear you about the "real" fringe being all over the place! I think the "fake" one is looking good!

Regarding the "German dictator": You can have him. He was Austrian anyway. :D

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Miss Murphy, I hear you about the "real" fringe being all over the place! I think the "fake" one is looking good!

Regarding the "German dictator": You can have him. He was Austrian anyway. :D

Dang, you caught me! :whistle:

But we did a great job passing him off as German - and instead passing Beethoven off as Austrian :p

lavenderblue
March 27th, 2008, 04:58 AM
hehe, you don't look like that certain german dictator at all, he looks a LOT meaner! but I think if you want a fringe, you look well with a shorter fringe, at eyebrows, not (or a little) sideswept. I think that looks very good with a oval shaped face like yours

aisling
March 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I think it looks good, I sport that look sometimes as well. You're a little overly critical, I think we all are sometimes over our own looks. If you want to make it a little different, you could try to do an even deeper side part, usually that hides more of your forehead as well.

Silver & Gold
March 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I think, perhaps, that you are simply unaccustomed to how you look in this style. I find it very attractive.

I too am growing out fringe and yet I don't want the "stern librarian" look when I wear an updo so I think I will be trying this style out for myself soon.

However, I have a few more months to wait until my bangs are long enough. Right now I just let little pieces down because the hair is barely long enough to stay back when it is pulled more or less sraight back and definitely not long enough to sweep to the side first unless I use a barrette.

Seeing how nice this looks on you, I know that it's something for me to try.

FrannyG
March 27th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Miss Murphy, I think it looks really lovely. :flowers: It does soften the look and is very pretty. I too have a long face, so I understand your concerns with the "severe" look.

Yes, you are far too hard on yourself, by the way. :)

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Miss Murphy, I think it looks really lovely. :flowers: It does soften the look and is very pretty. I too have a long face, so I understand your concerns with the "severe" look.

Yes, you are far too hard on yourself, by the way. :)

Thanks for the kind words - I hope I am not in for one of the fabled spankings I have heard so much about :scared:

hehe, you don't look like that certain german dictator at all, he looks a LOT meaner! but I think if you want a fringe, you look well with a shorter fringe, at eyebrows, not (or a little) sideswept. I think that looks very good with a oval shaped face like yours
Lavenderblue - I would think that too, but I have no idea how to get an eyebrow-length fringe without cutting...

Thanks also to Silver&Gold and Aisling for the kind words!

lora410
March 27th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I like it alot, and I wear my hair side swept up as well,but its at the phase where it would clip into the roll of my French twist; so I have to pull it straight back :rolleyes:*grumbles*

Patrycja
March 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
aw! You're so pretty even with the blacked out eyes :D

My fringe is doing the same exact thing.I either blowdry(I know that's a crime here but its the only part of my hair that I do that with)them straight down and just have them in my eyes all day or do the side sweep thing.I think we both rock the look so lets just have fun with it!! :love: :rockerdud

eta-mini claw clips as seen in almost all my pics where I have some sort of an updo are my bestest friends ever.I just bought some nonslip bobby pins and are going to give that a go today.

Miss Murphy
March 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Awww, thanks coppie! (Sorry, but I'm bordering on breaking my fingers everytime I type your name :D)

I don't have any claw clips, I prefer to keep my updos "clean", ie just one toy, and that's usually a fork.

spidermom
March 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I think that looks very nice.