PDA

View Full Version : What length fork compared to stick?

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hiya

I'm toying (no pun intended) with the idea of trying a fork. I ventured into the world of hair sticks last year and found a 6" ketylo was the perfect length for my hair. How the fork lengths work? Do you find you need the same length as a stick, or is it different? :confused:

Questions, always questions! :p

rymorg2
January 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Personally, I need about the same, though I don't use sticks anymore. 6" ketylos were good for me with some room at both ends of the stick, and I allow for room for the prongs to show at the bottom of my forks too.

The best way to figure out what size working length or functional length to get (WP or FP or WL or FL) is to use a stick and measure the diameter of your bun. If the diameter is 3.5", then a 4.5" working length fork would do well for a little growth and for the prongs to show if that's what you want.

I have very thick hair, and it's only 19" but I can use anywhere from 4" wp to 5" wp comfortably. The forks themselves are usually 1" or so longer due to toppers, so I usually buy 5.5" to 6" forks.

Does that help?

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks Rymorg :) Yes, I think that's clear. So if I usually use a 6" stick I should go for a 5" fork because the topper is included in the fork measurement? The length of the tines on the fork should equal the length of the stick, is that correct?

rymorg2
January 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Rymorg :) Yes, I think that's clear. So if I usually use a 6" stick I should go for a 5" fork because the topper is included in the fork measurement? The length of the tines on the fork should equal the length of the stick, is that correct?

Not necessarily.

Some companies will list the total length of the fork. Some will only list the length of the working tines. For example....baerreis lists their sizes by FP length. 60th St. lists theirs by total length of fork. So if you want 5" of working length from both companies, with baerreis you'd order a 5" fork, with 60th st. you'd order a 6" fork (since they add the inch in from the topper). However, you'll have to look at the dimensions of each individual fork to be sure. Some toppers are an inch, some more, some less.

So in your scenario from this post, that would be true if it was baerreis but not if it was 60th st. If it was 60th st. you'd end up with 4" of useable prong length.

I'd still measure your bun to be absolutely certain.

Does that make it more clear?

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, thank you! Everybody has fudgy thinking days from time to time, but I seem to have more than most ;)

rymorg2
January 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, thank you! Everybody has fudgy thinking days from time to time, but I seem to have more than most ;)

LOL I'm right there with you.....glad I could help. OOOH and keep me posted, I'm such a fork lover I LOVE pics and stuff....

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
LOL. The addiction has well and truly taken hold of me too. I only have one stick at the mo, bought it from Nightshade's Etsy store last autumn. I currently have three more on order and I'm salivating over the Ketylo forks now too! :D I shall indeed post pics of anything I buy.

rymorg2
January 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
LOL. The addiction has well and truly taken hold of me too. I only have one stick at the mo, bought it from Nightshade's Etsy store last autumn. I currently have three more on order and I'm salivating over the Ketylo forks now too! :D I shall indeed post pics of anything I buy.

LOVELY!

I can't use sticks, I'm stick-stupid. I have bought them in the past and swapped or sold them all. I now have 22 forks, with 3 more 60th st. on order and am in the process of deciding what 2 Baerreis I want next as well. Those will probably be paid for tomorrow or the next day. :D

sapphire-o
January 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Your hair seems similar in length and thickness as DH's. When I tried my forks and sticks on him he only needed 4" functional length. Too long a fork can over-power your hair and make it look like you have less.

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thank you SapphireO, it's good to have similar hair to refer to! I had decided that I didn't want to tines to show on the other side of the style so was going to downsize a little anyway.