PDA

View Full Version : measuring upside down vs. upside-right?

Fencai
January 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
So Im having trouble measuring my hair, when I have the help I do it stnading up vertically. And due to my wave, sometimes its "shorter" and sometimes longer. This morning it came up to be 22 1/4" when the girl in the office next door helped me.

I was testing something out, and had tried it myself, by flipping my head over, and measuring from the nape of my neck to the ends of my hair because I could see them myself. It came up to 25".

Now, I know that my hair has grown by where it falls on the tattoo on my back, as well as other people have commented on the recent growth, and to finish my braid, its now easier to finish my braid if I bring it over my shoulder.

Why is there a 3" difference? Is this because of my waves?
Is one method more accurate than the other?

Im about to become one of the non-measurers because of this! LOL!

Anje
January 13th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Easy -- the hair on the top of your head is probably longer than the hair growing low on your head, if the ends are roughly even (or less than 6-8" apart, at least). That way, when you're upright, the ends are more or less together. When you flip your head over, you measure the full length of these hairs, plus the rest of your head to your nape, so you'll get a few more inches unless you trim your hair in that position.

For measurements, I'd say to stick to the standard method, or just indicate the nearest landmark.

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
i thought about doing the up side down thing as well- my hair is hard to measure and is ever changing in my length shot pictures some days are just curlier then others... i am about to hire a hair measuring aid ( maybe DBF more then likely DD(3yrs))

b/c my hair is apl i can kinda get away with sticking a measuring tape under my arm pits and get a rough idea from there. i think i am going to stop soon though. it's frustrating at time

Carolyn
January 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Your measurements are your own personal measurements. The important thing is to measure the same way each time. Then you will have consistency for you. Many LHC'ers don't measure monthly or even at all. Don't feel that you have to measure.