PDA

View Full Version : Been a while - splits

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
How is everyone. Been so long since I have been on. Sometimes you get so busy that a lot of things are put to the side.

I am growing and growing. Down from shoulders to small of back. Using lots of jojoba, east african shea butter to keep hair from getting dry. Problem is, STILL having split ends. Lots of split ends. Endless supply of split ends.

Heres what I am doing. CO washing 6 days a week. Shampoo one day a week. Using Redken so soft or purelogy. Oiling daily (sleeping in it ) and using pure shea butter. Cant seem to shake the splits. I do get my roots colored with keune color. Hair is fine and thin but also curly/wavy. I never dry it. Let air dry. Also use pureology nanoglaze to keep the flyaways from well, flying away.

Curious if there are any salons in the greenville sc area that are long hair experts so to speak to get this under control.

Sorry to start with a question but you guys know it all. Who else to ask.

BlndeInDisguise
January 13th, 2009, 06:37 AM
IF you ever find out what's causing the splits, let me know! :D I have the same problem.

What do you brush/comb with? I've found that just finger combing reduces my split ends the best, but I still use my horn comb. So often I'll finger comb beforehand, or the worst parts before I use the horn comb.

ETA: I've never tried this, but obviously some people have had success with catnip for split ends. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476

girlcat36
January 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Are you sleeping on a silk pillowcase and using seamless combs?

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Actually thinking of combs. I use a plastic one in the shower. Really old. Use it to comb thru with the conditioner in.

Out of shower have another wide tooth plastic comb to use when I put in the nanoglaze. Thats the only time I comb it. Never brush. I would like to use finger but I have found with curls, it doesnt work well. By the end of the day, my hair is tangled but I wont comb or brush it. Obviously I am doing something wrong ( still ). Would the combs really cause that much of a problem? We have an ulta close by. What type of comb?

Also, pony it a lot during the day. The ponies are seamless and have no metal.

Arctic
Do you S&D (search and destroy) regularly?

Do you wear your hair in protective styles a lot/ most of the time?

Do you use a leave-in conditioner, or for example aloe vera gel, something other than oil or butter? Oils do not moisturize hair, but it's possible you get enough moisture from your CO washing.

Just throwing in some ideas :)

hbbydl
Pillow case. Missed that one. It is a sateen 1200 thread count. Is that bad? Also, at night, oil and put in braid.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Havent tried anything but the oil and shea butter. I am wondering if the oil and shea would cause build up and that would cause the spits. I need to cut at least 6 inches off to get the splits but I refuse to do that. I do S&D but I am wondering if I am causing the problem. I have hair cutting scissors and make sure I cut straight across. Could be doing that wrong also.

girlcat36
January 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
You need to get a seamless comb. The seams on regular plastic combs cause damage that leads to splits.
Regular cotton pillowcases cause my hair to split, so I use silk.
Consider going cone free. Silicone buildup on your ends blocks moisture from getting into your hair. Dry hair breaks and splits. Build up on hair also causes it to be tangly. Tangles lead to splits.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hairstyles. I am stuck basically with a pony or braided pony. I work in an MRI magnet so I cant have any clips of any kind.

Dont use a leave in but am ready to try whatever you say.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
sounds like you have got it. Will get a pillowcase, comb and something cone free for the frizzy flyaways. Suggestion?

girlcat36
January 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Pillow case. Missed that one. It is a sateen 1200 thread count. Is that bad? Also, at night, oil and put in braid.

Silk is best.

lora410
January 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Ha, I could trim and have splits the next day. The truth is some peoples hair split fast no matter what. I decided I may as well just let them alone. I use a silk cap, satin pillow case, seamless comb etc but mine still split anyway.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Thank you for the link. Reading

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I see a cone free conditioner list. Is there a cone free list for leave-ins ( ie serums, etc?)

Thanks so much. Been VERY helpful.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I would rather have the splits than the cut. However, I would rather have no splits and no cut. Do people ever say to anyone that they should cut if off b/c they are over 40? Thats just nonsense to me but I hear it alot. Oh, it would look so much better shorter and you would look so much younger. Heck, a facelift can take care of that and you can keep your hair.

GlassEyes
January 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM
There is a list of leave-ins that are cone free somewhere in that list, but you have to look for it. the header looks the same as the list of conditioners, and it's easily missed.

Some (or most,maybe) use our conditioners as leave-ins anyway, finding it's simpler and/or works better, but some still use leave ins.

Satin and Silk pillowcases have been debated as to which is better, actually, and I use Satin. It's easier to clean and maintain, not to mention cheaper, while still havin a smooth surface that won't damage the hair. Silk is softer, yes, but Satin serves just fine.

Sateen, however, I think is a different weave than Satin, so I can't say.

girlcat36
January 13th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I see a cone free conditioner list. Is there a cone free list for leave-ins ( ie serums, etc?)

Thanks so much. Been VERY helpful.

Try Curl Keeper as a serum.

girlcat36
January 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM
There is a list of leave-ins that are cone free somewhere in that list, but you have to look for it. the header looks the same as the list of conditioners, and it's easily missed.

Some (or most,maybe) use our conditioners as leave-ins anyway, finding it's simpler and/or works better, but some still use leave ins.

Satin and Silk pillowcases have been debated as to which is better, actually, and I use Satin. It's easier to clean and maintain, not to mention cheaper, while still havin a smooth surface that won't damage the hair. Silk is softer, yes, but Satin serves just fine.

Sateen, however, I think is a different weave than Satin, so I can't say.

I had a poly satin pillowcase. It caused acne. I got a silk one for 10.00, and I wash and dry with my regular laundry.
Sateen is usually cotton, bad for my hair.

On the topic of leave-in conditioners, I never use a product specifically marketted as a leave-in. Too many questionable ingredients. A regular cone-free conditioner can be left in.
I'mcurrently using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

Anje
January 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
How sharp are the scissors you're using for S&D? If you're not convinced that they're razor sharp and have never been used on anything other than hair, you should probably have them sharpened or replaced. Dull scissors can encourage splits.

Braids are probably better than ponys for protection. In addition, you might have luck with wood or dymondwood hairsticks. Good Hairdays pins would also work for you, since they're plastic. That way, you can do updos as well.
ETA: Do you sit against your braid/ponytail? If you do, stop it, and you'll almost certainly get fewer new splits. Also, see if the splits tend to occur when your put the lower band of the braid. You may need to mess with different materials or techniques for securing the braid, like ribbon. (end ETA)

1200 thread count sateen pillowcase sounds divine... but if it's cotton, it could still cause some drag on hair. (Satin and Sateen are weaves, not materials.) Polyester or other slippery synthetic satin is good, as is silk. Another alternative is a silk or satin sleep bonnet (without exposed elastic), which is good if you're like me and you either end up sleeping with your hair off the pillow on the sheets or if you dislike the feel of polyester satin on your face, or mismatched pillows.

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The only that jumped out at me was the use of So Soft and your CO routine for the other 6 days, but Girlcat already suggested cone-free products :) My thought was that if you're using such a cone heavy conditioner for part of the week perhaps you should CO with caution as (depending on what else you use when shampooing and COing) the cones could build up verrrrrrrry quickly and cause heaps of splits.

I hope all the ideas people have given you help. You'll have to post back in a few months and let us know what progress you're making ;)

sibilum
January 13th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I had a similar problem. I have been taking great care of my care for more than a year and I was still getting splits. I did cut off almost 5 inches last month though.

So now I began using henna, but my advice is actually be really carefull when you detangle your hair, beside using a seamless comb. I detangle my hair in the shower while the condioner is on, but sometimes I was in a hurry and I wouldn't be very kind in the proccess. Now I am. Also be carefull when you put it up, even when using a stick or fork.

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much for all the great advice and ideas. Ididnt realize the redken was so heavy on cones. I just bought 4 liter size bottles. Maybe ebay.

Will try these and check back.

Thanks again

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
scissors are new hair scissors and i use them only on hair. Maybe I am cutting at an angle and dont realize

hbbydl
January 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
You are right. They are at the lower end of the braid.

pariate
January 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks so much for all the great advice and ideas. Ididnt realize the redken was so heavy on cones. I just bought 4 liter size bottles.

I looooooooooooved that stuff before I went coneless. Turned my hair into silk :inlove: