PDA

View Full Version : styling?

Emme76
March 27th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Hey!
I just joined LHC a few weeks ago :cheese:and it has really been great. I changed so much when it comes to taking care of my hair. I stopped using my blowdryer, roundbrush, brush, heatstyling, cones. I now use natural products, let my hair airdry, a wide comb and fingers, coconutoil, oliveoil when needed, cut out all cones and I notice a big difference. Thank you all!!!!:)

The only thing is with the airdrying...sometimes I would like to "bend" in the ends of my hair. I used to use a round brush for this but donīt anymore. The ends of my hair has a life of itīs own since it is wavy. This doesnīt really matter and I let it be, but sometimes when it is time for a party or something else I would like to "bend" in the ends and style it a bit. I got a gel from lush that worked great, but what can I use for bending in the ends, that doesnīt involve heat? Some kind of rollors? Foam rollers? What kind is best? Something that doesnīt damage. I always used the round brush for this so imagination is a bit short :rolleyes:!!!!

All info and tips is hightly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!!!:cheese:
/Emme

Katze
March 27th, 2008, 02:09 AM
hi Emme and welcome! Glad you've found us! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/cheese.gif

I've also got semi-wavy hair, and if I really want to encourage my ringlets I sleep in foam rollers (those long, stick-like, bendy ones from the drugstore).

Other than that, while my hair is drying, I twirl the ends around my fingers and sort of "scrunch" the length, and this helps my waves come out.

Have you tried "plopping"? I don't like the name, but it basically means letting your hair fall onto a towel while it's wet and your head is upside down, then winding that towel around your head, holding your hair twisted in the towel but also bunched on top of your head. If you do this while your hair's wet, and leave it in the towel until it's mostly dry, your waves will come out.

Other than that, I use a tiny amount of hair gel mixed with a bit of leave-in conditioner to hold my length and ends in place. I've got very thin ends, but that's where my hair is its waviest, so I like to encourage the wave to make them look piecy and spirally instead of see through and wispy.

hope this makes sense!

Katze

SolSara
March 27th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I would think that some kind of rollers would do the trick. :) Put them in damp hair (after wash or misted), maybe using some sort of styling product, and let airdry before taking them out. Choose rollers depending on how big you want the curl to be. :)

But if it's just once in a while, I would have done it like you did before. Yes, it might be a bit harsh on the hair, using brush and maybe blowdryer, but when I don't do it on a daily basis, I feel quite ok with it.. :rolleyes:

Snow_Muffin
March 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hey, welcome to the board.
I look new but im not! I dont know what happened to my other account!
Anyway, i like to use foam rollers, they look so natural and dont damage my hair, and they last all day.

Emme76
March 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you for all the tips!!!! :)...
I will try all of them....
/Emme

Patrycja
March 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Do you have a cool setting on your hairdryer? Theres a member on here that dries her hair when partially aired dried before she goes out in the cold.Maybe you can use a BBB(Boar Bristle Brush..I got mine from Walmart of all places and it was about 6 bucks)and curl your ends with it with that cool setting.

Hope I helped :flowers:

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
The less curl you want the bigger the rollers. If I read your post right you want straight hair with just a curl under look. What size round brush do you use to blow dry? I would start around that size for my rollers. Then move up bigger for straighter hair and smaller for curlier.

This was my biggest problem when I came here now I mostly wear my hair curly, but when I dont I let my hair dry a little then apply really big rollers I get a smooth straight curled under style.

Emme76
March 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I will look for the Boar Bristle Brush in stores here...see if I can find it. Now my round brush is all in plastic I think with metal underneath....:rolleyes:!!! It tears out alot of hair...
With a new brush maybe I can blowdry on cold setting once in a while....

And I will look for bigger rollers. Should I get the kinds that stick by themselves...velcro like ??? Or the once with the pin??

Thankīs again for all the GREAT tips!!!!:cheese:
/Emme