PDA

View Full Version : best bun for drying thick hair?

canary4624
January 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to wean myself off the blow-fryer, and I've found that the real secret is to keep my hair restrained constantly until it's completely dry. Braids and rope braids are great when I want ripples, and buns give me a looser wave that work well when I have a hankering for straighter hair. Here's the problem--my thick hair takes FOREVER to dry in a bun. I can leave it in 2 days and 2 nights, and it will still be a little damp. The bun I use is just made by holding the hair back as if to make a ponytail and then wrapping it around the base, with no twisting or braiding. Does anyone have a bun type that lets their hair dry faster? (I've seen the hair-wrapping technique on here, but I'm looking for something not embarrassing to be seen in public with :p )

Thanks guys!

OhioLisa
January 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
My hair is not nearly as thick as yours and I have the same issue. No matter what bun it is, my hair will remain damp far beyond the duration of the bun itself. It's not exactly the best method for drying. :shrug:

Euphony
January 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I think the question is an oxymoron :P

I'll bun my wet hair and take it down several times during the day and re-bun it, that seems to help in the drying process but I've never been able to dry my hair in a bun, I give in and let it all down to completely dry eventually.

Reminds of me of the old commercials 'how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop' hahahahaha

Ms. Hollywood
January 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I let my hair get about 30-40% dry first then bun it. I just do a simple twist/wrap bun, which I let down and redo a few times to help with the drying. Also, if you are wanting it to be straighter...try twisting one way for a bit, then twist it the other way for a while, and so on til it is dry. It helps keep it from having so many waves and makes it more straight (for me anyway). HTH

canary4624
January 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
If only trying to find out were as much fun as eating a tootsie roll, though :D

Thanks for the tip about periodically re-twisting the opposite way, Ms. Hollywood, that sounds like it will work. I can try it with a rope braid, too, which will dry much faster. In fact, I think it may solve my problem :disco:

Elphie
January 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
You might be able to dry more quickly if you use double buns. I don't know if that will wind up straighter though. For me, it would add more waves.

akurah
January 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
To dry long hair quickly, especially thick long hair, use a square towel meant for drying hair (typically has a waffle weave, and specifically the square towels, the turbans won't be suitable), and make a ponytail, wrapping the towel around the ponytail. I generally secure this with a claw clip as the only tool holding my hair (ie, no ponytail holder) and the claw clip is on the outside of my towel. I let it hang down my back. The towel protects the hair from the usual suspects (chairbacks, etc) until it is dry. I tend to leave it like this for 30 min to an hour. Its not 100% dry when I take it off, but it is usually a lot drier than it would have been if I bunned or even braided it for a day or two.

JamieLeigh
January 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've never been able to completely dry my hair in a bun. LOL. So it would be news to me if this actually works. Maybe I just get tired of the bun itself before it can work, but I think 2 days and 2 nights with it still damp, as one of the above posters described...that's a little much for me. :confused:

Arctic
January 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
What fastens my hair drying time a lot is to fingercomb your hair and seperate the strands and break the clumps into smaller and smaller ones, and periodically "fluffing" the scalp hairs. This also makes my hair a bit straighter. I assume this is not good method for curlies or anyone who's prone to frizz, but worth to try!

Dianyla
January 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
The best bun for drying is none, as has already been pointed out.

Also, I suspect you might have wavier hair than you think. :twocents: