PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Hey!! Found My Hairstyle!!!

Peggy E.
January 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
So, now, how do I do THIS on me?! ;o)

This is a link to TCM that shows Ann Harding in the film "Double Harness" (going to be my birthday present - come on, March!) - and it shows the hair I've been searching for and have seen so often in films, but not able to find example to show here.

Edit: Need to go to "Gallery Shot #24" for the pic which best illustrates the style I'm seeking.

I'm so excited!!!

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/common/archivePopup.jsp?contentId=157380

Any help or suggestions on how to do this? I'm sure it's easy, no problem, I'm just a lumox, but there you have it.....

WindowDressing
January 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Very elegant!!

Wouldn't know how to do it, but it will be beautiful with your hair!

Hugs,
WD :)

Flaxen
January 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Peggy, I think it's just a very loose bun at the nape. My buns look very much like that (*snort*) with a sort of pinwheel center. If your hair above it won't wave like that, I suppose you could use some gel.

coppercurls
January 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Peggy, I think it's just a very loose bun at the nape. My buns look very much like that (*snort*) with a sort of pinwheel center. If your hair above it won't wave like that, I suppose you could use some gel.

I agree with Flaxen. I think if you started it out like a cinnamon bun & fluffed out the twist you could get the look. Was that clear as mud?:confused:

I swear, LHC'ers should live closer together so we could figure this things out!

Silver & Gold
January 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think what you might be looking for is a low double chignon style. I found a couple videos that are close enough for you to imagine how to do this for the look you are trying to achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67ZnvBfUnc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybbD9pCfSTg

darkwaves
January 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It looks to me like two nape buns. (Why two? Well, in each picture, the bun looks close to her ear. If that's so, to my eyes (optical illusion time!), either there are two of them -- because it's a small bun -- or there is one set very asymmetically. (Would that be a 40s thing, asymmetry?)

They also look loosely braided to me, just from the way the layers overlap. (Perhaps like a twist braid... my mind has gone... Rope!)

I like the way the hair falls over her ears.

Please keep us updated -- with pictures!

darkwaves
January 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think what you might be looking for is a low double chignon style. Oh, good! I'm not the only one with double vision... The second link posted is close to what I was thinking.

Schmoomunitions
January 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Oh!! I love the chignon boucle on the youtube link!!!!

Teazel
January 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
There definitely seems to be a double-something going on, because in the other pictures there's bun showing on the other side of her neck, as well. Hmm. Could it be some sort of infinity bun? :hmm: I wish there were a screenshot from the back!

As an aside, I had to grin at the hairpins coming loose in #24. :D

I recently discovered that my hair does that lovely soft thing around my face (as in the hairdo currently under discussion) when I make a loose french herringbone before bunning. Just a thought.

Hue
January 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
On the extreme close-up view of #34, it looks like two nape buns., as a few have noted above You can see the edge of the far one peeking up over the near one (side view).

Teazel
January 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh!! I love the chignon boucle on the youtube link!!!!

Ooh, that's what MaidMarian called a soft nautilus bun... also known as an inside-out bun, I believe. I'm wearing one as we speak.

Sorry - off topic. :o

Hypnotica
January 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
So, now, how do I do THIS on me?! ;o)

This is a link to TCM that shows Ann Harding in the film "Double Harness" (going to be my birthday present - come on, March!) - and it shows the hair I've been searching for and have seen so often in films, but not able to find example to show here.

Edit: Need to go to "Gallery Shot #24" for the pic which best illustrates the style I'm seeking.

I'm so excited!!!

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/common/archivePopup.jsp?contentId=157380

Any help or suggestions on how to do this? I'm sure it's easy, no problem, I'm just a lumox, but there you have it.....

I can spot several amish pins in that photo.

Girltron
January 13th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I don't really think it looks like any of those things...I'd love to figure it out too, because I love Ann Harding's hair. I think the closest thing I know how to do would be one or two infinity buns. It's definitely wrapped or knotted, not just a cinnabun. She had quite long hair, too, remember, so there'd have been multiple wraps or whatnot.

Finoriel
January 13th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Mmmh itīs hard to see... :wink: why do they never picture the really important and interesting things? Like the back of the head with the hairdo :p .

There is one picture with a good closeup of (well half of) the bun and there it looks similar to a loose knot bun (most likely with a hair-donut under it for more volume) with the remaining length wrapped around/under the bun. Two or even three of them, worn very low at the nape can make it look like one long bun from ear to ear.
Interesting hairstyle, maybe Iīll have to try this one.

Girltron
January 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I think it must be two of something, because the volume is approximately the same all the way across the head. The shape makes almost a cloverleaf type pattern-anybody know a knot that winds up looking like a cloverleaf? You could make two side by side.

Finoriel
January 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Sure :gabigrin: the clover-leaf bun. (Infinity bun with a third extra loop.)
A cloverleaf bun looks completely different from this one though.

Stevy
January 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM
It definitely looks like double buns to me too - I thought it might just be a bun on one side of the head, but you can see a second bun behind the first one on #34.

#24 looks a lot like a double loop knot bun to me, but #34 actually looks more gibraltar bun like. Since my gibraltar buns sometimes come out looking like double loop knots, I'm going to guess at double gibraltar buns at the nape of the neck, with the scalp hair slightly finger-waved.

Girltron
January 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
OK this is a long shot. But Wavelength used to have a pic of her hair in her signature area that looked (if you turned it sideways) just like the cloverleaf shape of image # 24.

I can see it in the archived forums in the Gibraltar Bun responses. It was the lefthand of the two images in her signature.

Wavelength? Anybody? What was that bun/knot? I betcha that would work, whatever it was!

Peggy E.
January 13th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I feel so much better! I figured there would be an "oh, you dummy - that's the easiest, most obvious, how could you not know what it is style in the whole wide world and you should be embarrassed to have to ask directions!" response.

So having other far more learned hair-stylers than myself questioning what this might be and how it might be done makes me feel not quite so stupid!

Thanks for the links and guesses. She had very long, very thick hair and it's possible there's no rat involved in creating the volume. For my hair, though, may have to resort to the heavy artillery!

Girltron
January 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm watching The Thin Man tonight and I think one commonly done version of the Ann Harding type style we're talking about is basically a nice big low infinity bun. I found a screen shot of the lady I'm looking at in this movie, but unfortunately the screen shot is just a few frames too late or early, and doesn't show the bun. It's an infinity, though. She's got much more fashionable finger waves, but it's exactly the same aesthetic.

If you have The Thin Man you might want to give it a squint in that scene. It's towards the beginning of the movie.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v27hJrrgr_A/RnWpj_qOseI/AAAAAAAAGIM/JxIvKegZUiM/s1600-h/PDVD_008.JPG

Tressie
January 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I love Ann Harding and William Powell and all of those wonderful B&W movies! :cheese: Sorry, I had to get that out of my system!

As someone else said, I like the wave over each ear too! Lovely style!

Please post pics of your version? We'll all be waiting to admire your hair!!:)

DelynofRhondda
January 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hi Peggy. You mentioned a rat and got me to thinking. Could this style be formed over a "french rat"? Possibly where the rat is held parallel / horizontal, rolled from the ends toward the head, curved either over / under, and pinned.

Mrs T, a friend of my Grandmother, showed me how to do this eons ago. She used to like having me help her with her hair. Her rat was a long, thin, slightly textured, soft roll. The hair pins were long, too, so they'd secure the hair to the roll and the scalp hair.

I remember Mrs T saying it really does need to be done for you, especially when your hair is long. Hers was very long, past her bustle (as she would tease). She was the one to call it a "french rat" and I don't know if that is the correct term.

Oh! I'd also loosen the face / ears area into waves with the back of a rat-tail comb.

Hope you do figure out how to create this style. It is stunning.

How I wish I could time-travel and talk with the ladies from earlier eras on "how did you do that"...

Christina
January 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It's very pretty but...I don't know why...having the ears covered like that seems strange to me. I think it would feel like wearing a hood all day.