PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people have long hair?

princess
January 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Would like to know why some people have longer luscious hair while many others who wish to have not?

let me put it this way. I would love to hair long thick hair but my hair is only just below bsl and tapes a lot in the ends. I think due to lack of nutrients or harmone or general health whatever. Why is it so?

Xandergrammy
January 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I think it's all a matter of personal taste. I feel more like "me" with long hair. Others feel differently.

SHELIAANN1969
January 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It could be genetics or the hair care routine.

If someone is using harsh products, their hair may not be as healthy as someone who uses more gentle products.

It could also be a hormone deficiency or ones diet.

Or it could be hereditary.

:blossom:

Kerynna
January 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think genetics, health, and lifestyle all play a huge role in how long one is able to grow their hair given the desire to do so. Lots of people have trouble growing their hair long due to health issues or simply genes; but caring for hair is somewhat of a luxury for a lot of people too. If one works two jobs, in hazardous conditions or outdoors in brutal weather everyday, it will be difficult for them to grow their hair long.

Phalaenopsis
January 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Genetics plays a huge role. I certainly can see the difference with me and my sisters. Me and my oldest sister, fine, blonde hair, but a lot of it. My other sister, brown hair and completely different. No volume or great thickness. Her hair shines as beautiful as well.
Take good care of what you have and it will look gorgeous either way :flower:

Darkhorse1
January 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Genetics will play a huge factor in hair and many other things. I'm very lucky I come from a family with good hair, though my mom has had thinning due to an autoimmune disease, hers still grows like a weed. As does mine and my brother's. My dad's has thinned, but is a nice white gray, so I hope I get that.

I've always wanted long hair, even as a child. My parents kept it short though because it was so thick it knotted easily. When I was old enough to care for it myself, they said I could grow it. The rest is history. I've had my share of bad cuts/styles, but long hair is something practical and easy to maintain for my needs. Some people feel long hair is too much work, but for me, it's a toss and go situation.

I'm also from your neck of the woods! Not in Toronto, but west of the city :D

Katze
January 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Genetics, above all.

My sister has fine, straight, thick, dark brown hair. As a kid she grew it super long and was 'famous' for it. Mine was always hard to manage, tangled (according to mom) so I kept it short. Now sis is growing without even thinking of it at all, has a blunt hemline and no taper or baby hairs or wisps, whereas my hair which I am obsessively careful about does not grow as fast or thick as hers and has severe taper and lots of splits.

Luck of the draw I guess. She got the good hair, but she also got the big nose!

zift
January 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Why are some people taller? :)

Pegasus Marsters
January 13th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Genetics.

The product thing is kind of true, but some of us have hair that can stand up to any amount of damage and harsh products and other people get split ends if you even look at them the wrong way!

For example my hair stands up to harsh dye and shampoo, but some people here would have their ends breaking off if they even looked at a dye bottle.

SafoByMengin
January 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I think genetics too. Hopefully my genetics came up to voice when I stopped messing with my hair. Now I'm looking for my father and his mother head - because I'm a "daddy's girl" and everyone think I'm lookin like my grandma. I see both of them have really dark hair - me too. Both of them have wavy - I'm curly, but this is the result of wavy mother and wavy father. Both of them - unofrtunately - don't have many hair after 50 birthday...So that's why I stopped dying, blowdrying, that's why I pay a lot for henna in my country, that's why I care - I know I have to do a lot to avoid this problem.

lora410
January 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
as everyone else said. Genetics, health, horomones etc.

Calanthe
January 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Sadly, genetics. I mean, you can do a lot with the right products, routine and foods and suchlike, so that hair is in good condition.

I don't have mother's fantastic hair genes - hers is very strong, very thick with a beautiful natural wave-curl when she lets it grow a bit. What I have is the daddy's hair: very fine and soft, lots but still not much thickness and it's strick straight without his stunning lion's mane wave. Funny, that my brother also has strick straight hair, when both mom and dad have wavy hair...

Luckily I've learned to accept this and work with my hair and not against it. Well, most days...:rolleyes:. It still bugs me, that I can't do certain styles because there simply is not enough hair.

Aisha25
January 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Why are some people taller? :)
Cause they want to be tall:p?

spidermom
January 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I think that some people have long hair because they let it grow instead of cutting it all the time.

sandigirl
January 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My mom used to chop my hair into a "pixie" cut and I cried every time! I vowed to have long hair as soon as I could and have never had hair shorter than my bra strap since age 12. I keep it trimmed since watching "Sonny and Cher" as a child and vowing to never have stringy hair like Cher did.
I agree genes, health, diet, and hormones play a big role, too.

spidermom
January 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I keep it trimmed since watching "Sonny and Cher" as a child and vowing to never have stringy hair like Cher did.

Cher was my first long hair "idol". If hair like hers had been in the genes ... (but it's not).

magpielaura
January 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Further to what others have said:

Patience.
Its going to take a good 5 years to grow from very short to super long for a lot of people. Some are lucky and it grows quicker, but if you want or need to trim it will take longer. Chill - it will get there eventually.

Ability to resist fashions and change.
If you get bored by the texture/colour/shape/style often, sooner or later you will damage your hair (unless its pretty tough) and end up needing to trim lots. (If you haven't already had it cropped and dyed blue)

A thick skin.
People will always be suggesting different (shorter) styles. Don't listen to them. What do they know? Do what you like:D

Bene
January 14th, 2009, 04:52 AM
She got the good hair, but she also got the big nose!

:rollin:

ok, this had me laughing

Speedbump
January 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Health, diet, environment and care do play big roles, but everyone is right: Genetics is the single biggest factor. Genes give you your baseline hair. I feel extremely lucky to have thick hair that's a nice color. I have both my grandmothers to thank: They both had thick, curly/wavy, beautiful hair. I know I am lucky and I am grateful for it.

Having said all that, I know for a fact that people with thin hair or even highly tapering hair can have great hair, because I see it on this board. Really well-cared for hair looks good to me, period, regardless of thickness or length. Make the most of what ya got, and it will get noticed in a good way! :cheese:

Beatnik Guy
January 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ummmm, why not? :wigtongue

JamieLeigh
January 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
It's a mixture of personal preference, diet and genetics. All 3 of those dictate how long your hair will and can grow. :)

jojo
January 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Luck of the draw I guess. She got the good hair, but she also got the big nose![/quote]
Ha Ha! my brothers are both bald and I still got the big nose!!!:D

squiggyflop
January 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
genetics.. most people grow .5 inches a month.. you can maximize your growth but only within the range your genes provide.. if i take vitamins everyday i can and have had 2 or more inches a month.. however when i dont take vitamins i get .75in per month.. now how thick your hair is is both genetic and environmental.. if you are ripping out hair while brushing then your braids are going to be skin and bones.. some people shed more than others which can lead to hair that has a shorter terminal length.. there are certain suppliments that will decrease shedding..

diet is also important.. hair is made of protein so eat your protein

SimplyLonghair
January 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Genetics, preferences, being stubborn:rolleyes:. Deafness can be a definite asset, so your don't hear the rude comments by friends and family that just don't get it! I agree to the thick skin as well! All of those in your circle who are brain washed by media will try to change you so that you conform, but just stand strong.

blondecat
January 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I eat well [very well] lots of Protien [meat fish eggs and protien shakes]

And lots of vegetables. And at least 1 kind of fruit a day.
I eat very little bread, cakes, junk.

I only wash my hair once in a fortnight, the natural oils seem to help.

Wearing hair up in a bun seems to protect the delicate ends, and help them to be less ratty.

Genetics has Nothing to do with my hair, it's fine, wispy, wimpy and down and out just plain ol hard to work with.

Here is the but..... as it got longer, it became more managable for me, now, just a 2 second bun and I'm done, all good

As to how i got it long, Just plain ol stubboness to start with, everyone said I couldn't get my hair past my shoulders and still have it look good.

I think I've prooved them wrong by this stage <g>