PDA

View Full Version : Question about humectants.

Rohele
January 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I see lots of mention about humectants on these boards (glycerin and aloe vera in particular), and I've got a question.

Is it ever wise to use them in a dryer climate (since the reasoning is that they will draw moisture out of hair in this situation)? Or is it more of a seasonal thing (don't use them during dryer winter months, use during summer)?:confused:

The reason I'm asking, is I'd like to try some of the "hair care recipies" on the board, but see aloe vera gel/glycerin etc added to some. (I would especially like to try a SMT since everyone seems to love it). Should I be modifying to exclude these ingredients, since its very dry where I live? Or is it again a trial and error thing to see what my hair likes?

I'm afraid to experiement, as I'm dealing with some dry stressed hair at the moment:(

Aisha25
January 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I use honey everytime I wash in summer or winter but in winter what I do is I sit in the bathroom with the steam and that makes them pretty soft:wink: The only thing I would suggest you stay away from in the winter is eggs:lol:
Forgot to say duh, Its a trial and error thing just think of what your hair might need and try it if it works keep doing it if not then never use it again. Goodluck:thumbsup:

Bene
January 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
maybe using a light oil after the SMT treatment will keep the moisture in?

Finoriel
January 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
As long as you use the humectant of your choice in deeptreatments or shampoos and rinse well after using them, it´s usually not leading to problems.
Using them in leave-in products, possibly in combination with longer washing intervals and very gentle cleansing methods, can lead to build up of the humectant. Add dry climate to that or spending much time inside buildings with combined aicondition/air dehumidifier, it can become a problem. Yes.
There are different "strength" of humectants though and sometimes hair is more sensitive to one humectant while it tolerates another one better. The amount you´re using and how often you use it can also make a huge difference.

Moldilocks
January 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I live in New Mexico, where it is very dry. SMT's have always done my hair well, so I think you should do one with confidence. :O)

Unnamed
January 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I also live in a dry area and have never had issues.

It is trial and error--but more because it depends on if your hair will like it or not. I mean putting anything on one's hair one doesn't know for sure what will happen until it's been done! It's just like trying out a new conditioner. Climate might play some part, but I've not heard any horror stories blamed on dry air. And remember if one doesn't work, you can find another.

An SMT is probably pretty safe as if you're worried covering your hair (which also prevents drips and keeps it from drying out--or, well, if I don't cover it it dries out, but doesn't seem to affect the effectiveness) should prevent the mixture interacting with the air, then you can just wash your hair after.

mira-chan
January 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I live in a semi humid area, though dry in air conditioned and heated buildings. My hair does not like humectants. All of them produce a nasty build up on my hair. Others in my area use them without a problem it's just my hair hates them. :shrug:

SafoByMengin
January 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I live in the middle climat so for me there are many humid days and I think as many quite dry. But I don't have problems with humectants until it's really cold (like now - welcome winter) and in the middle of summer. When humectants don't work you can try something with aloe - for me it work always:)

Rohele
January 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the information:)

I went ahead and tried a SMT last night.

The SMT worked fairly well, but I developed some odd tangliness while my hair was wet, however my hair feels great today.

Based on what you've all told me I think I'll do some more experimenting after the weather warms up here (according to an article I read in the paper today, the average house with its furnace running is dryer than the sahara desert, probably not the ideal environment to suck moisture into ones hair:rolleyes:).