PDA

View Full Version : getting the most out of MM henna

Blueglass
March 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I am a typical hair color hair person. A cross between a blonde, brunnett, even a little red, but mostly ash. I asls have some platitum blonde too. Lately I've been useing MMhenna, marigold, strawberry, light brown, even tried a pinch of copper once. It shows in the sunlight, but otherwise hard to see. Family members say my hair is so drab. I can't seem to make it pretty enough. Also got a few really stubborn silvers. This is both good and bad news. Good because I can henna and still have silver, but bad because othershttp://imag172.imageshac may not like it. How can I get more out of my henna?<embed src="http://img82.imageshack.us/slideshow/smilplayer.swf" width="320" height="240" name="smilplayer" id="smilplayer" bgcolor="FFFFFF" menu="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=img82/7007/11718604220fi.smil"/>

Blueglass
March 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://img172.imageshac andhttp://img82.imaTrying for the sigy again

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I suggest you stop caring about what they think. It is your hair, you rule over it- not them.
what colour hair DO you want? henna, indigo, cassia, amla, and even i'm sure other natural herbs can be used to create an array of colours. I'm confused over which you want.
I personally LOVE multitonal hair and would kill if my hair naturally had those many tones in it.
I have to add them in artificially.
Maybe add some lowlights with some henndigo or indigo??? Try the henna thread.

mellie
March 20th, 2008, 06:12 AM
You may get more color & shine from your henna if you leave it on longer. For me, that's about an hour and a half.

wolf girl
March 20th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I use MM. My hair is very dark and I use the dark brown to cover my greys. I mix it up and let it sit over night. The instructions call for the use of black tea but I also use lemon juice and mix the two about 50/50. Then I apply in the morning and leave it on all day while I'm cleaning and doing laundry. I try to aim for 8 hours or longer if I can stand it. It covers my greys wonderfully and I get nice red highlights in the sun. My hair color has a warm tone all over.

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I would recommend little to no acid, that actually inhibits the henna more than anything. I'd mix it up with very warm water, let it cool/release dye for the time it takes for it to cool down, then apply it for about two hours.

wolf girl
March 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Acctually, according to the henna for hair website, it's the citric acid that helps release the dye. However, you need to find what works for you. Everyone has their own technique for mixing henna.

Babyfine
March 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I recently bought some light brown MM henna- but i've been too chicken to use it.
Right now all of my medium brown below shoulder length hair is colored with Redkens shades EQ
demi-perm dye in cherry cola. But it fades and I have some grey coming in.If it weren't for that grey I'd just let it go- no more chemicals.
I'd like to switch to henna- but I still am scared of it. I barely have time to do a DT never mind mix up and apply a henna-(and I don't like cooking let alone doing all that mixing!!) which is why I thought I'd start with a premixed kind. Plus I have to do a strand test.............Who has time? I'm a working mom
I purchased the MM because I thought that maybe the dye release wouldn't be as strong as the BAQ so if I chickened out and decided I didn't want to henna anymore- grow out wouldn't be as noticable.
Is MM henna easy to rinse out? I keep hearing people talk about shedding a lot with henna, when they rinse out all that mud. My hair is thin enough, a lot of shedding would be traumatic for me. Decisions Decisions. Last dye job was 12/3/07.
I'm very attracted to henna because of the strengthing/thickening qualities it can have-but I'm also a bit scared.

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
No Babyfine it's not easy to raise. It's a mess. So I have to modify things. Esspecially, because, I live in an older house, and the pipes tend to clogg with the mud. So I put the henna in a paper towel and boil it till the dye comes out. I put lemon juice and salt. In one case, I used white vingar in place of lemon, but lemon smells so much better. I put in green tea and chamomile and my house smells wonderful. I let the water cool, and ring out all the bags. Then, I thinken it up with cornstrach. I notice a difference, but doesn't cover white. Anthony Morrocco says to use lemon juice, but I can try it without. Also the conditer I use has cones, but doesnt effect the henna on other hairs. Anthony products are expense, and tend to make my hair to dark. I would like to switch conditioners, right now, my mother is ill, and switching conditoners is not a high priorty. Lately I have been useing Dove forming facial cleaner as a shampoo.

Babyfine
March 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bluegrass. I live in an older house, too so I do worry about the pipes.
I probably wouldn't be henna-ing all that often, though, if I do decide to do it.

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
As far as shedding goes, I really can't see what henna has to do with shedding unless you pull on the hair in an attempt to remove henna. Making a gel is so much easier. I am happy with MM because they have great customer help.

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Acctually, according to the henna for hair website, it's the citric acid that helps release the dye. However, you need to find what works for you. Everyone has their own technique for mixing henna.

Alas, we don't have Iris's old experiments, but she tested (with controls) that henna needs acid, and it doesn't (we're not sure what is up with Catherine's tap water, which is the one variable we can't account for).

In ever test the henna with acid was paler, had less dye release, and less staining power. We even found that when henna was mixed with water, allowed to dye release, tested it, and then added citric acid and tested it again, that there was a much lower instance of dye uptake, and the color of the mud reverted from brown back to green :bigeyes:

One of the number-one complaints with henna is how it dries hair, and I too, was under the misconception that henna needed acid. I used to mix mine with nothing but lemonjuice for that reason, and holy cats was my hair DRY. Now, without it, I get better stain and my hair feels far better after a henna.

The only good time to add a bit of acid would be if one is afraid of the henna being too dark, and wants to inhibit the release/uptake of dye :)

Babyfine
March 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
As far as shedding goes, I really can't see what henna has to do with shedding unless you pull on the hair in an attempt to remove henna. Making a gel is so much easier. I am happy with MM because they have great customer help.

Yes perhaps the manipulation that some people do? good to know it doesn't happen to you. Yes MM does have good customer service because I order the spray mists and gel and the euro oil from them and my orders always arrive very fast.
Also, I called them on a question once and they were so very helpful over the phone.

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Nightshade what do you think of organic sea salt in henna water? Anthony says use it. Also I resently raised with water and lemon juice and on that day my hair looked faded, but my blonde streaks showed more. Hard to please all colors in my complex color. I always mixed the lemon with water, so my hair is not that dry but if often makes my scalp itch untill I Shampoo. I mostely want to learn to manipulate gray, so that I don't end up trashing my hair in an effort to cover gray. My dear mom is in her 70's and is so horrified by gray on women. I am conflicted because I have to get on with mother on other hand I hope I have nice gray. I am already thinking about coordinating it with my wardrobe. Because it seem to be in this winter I have purchased a number of gray sweaters and pants. Of cause I will continue with pastels, and bright reds. My few whites seem to repeal henna. Sadly,I have a number of wirey peppers. They are really awful, not the soft white/ pale gray I've been wanting since my twenties. I'll try plan water and marigold. Maybe just for this early transition stage.

Nightshade
March 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Blueglass- I've never used it, and have only heard anecdotal evidence on both sides of it, good and bad. Salt helps lift the cuticle of the hair, which could impart more color, but I'm not sure what it would do to the henna :ponder:

MeMyselfandI
March 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Bluegrass,

I could not get the images to work.

First of all let me tell you, I think you should be happy with the colour you see. Do you like it on yourself?

Why does your family think your hair is drab? Is it not enough of a colour change, is it not vibrant enough? Does it look to natural?

When I was using chemical dyes, I found the colours, I like on me some people did not like on me, because it looked to natural. I was told some colours looked great, but they did not look good to me next to my face.

There is one person I know, who I and others do not like her colour, it really does not suit her and pales her. Yet she likes it. It is her head and hair.

I am surprised that you are having a hard time coverying the grey. My greys covered so quickly. How long are you leaving the henna in for?

If you were using chemical dyes, did you damage the protein in your hair. Do you need a neutral protein filler to help with the colour.

You need to think of your current hair colour, do you have virgin hair that is not black and pepper and the greys. I found that they all dyed differently with the henna.

In your opening post you mentioned something about mostly ash. Are you saying that your natural colour is mostly ash? If yes, then maybe henna and/or cassia may be to warm for your skin. If that is the case, maybe a bit of amla, will take some of the red/warmth out of the henna.

The good thing about henna, (that I discovered), I can play with the colours and not destroy the hair, until I find something I like. Using honey mixed with other things, some of the henna can be lightened.

How do you feel about mixing your own colours with henna, cassia and indigo?

In the article section you will find an approximate chart of how Morrocco Method makes their colours. Starting with fresh ingredients, adding salt to indigo, waiting 3 hours for cassia release seperate, and seperate for henna, may give you the most vibrant colours.

Salt is good for indigo for staying power.

By MM, I assume you mean Morrocco Method. MM table of colours:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/MorroccoMethodHennaChart-1.jpg

Expressions with Henna- Coloring Hair Naturally by Nightshade

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7

Henna needs a pH of about 5.5 for dye release.
Lemons are around pH of 3.5.

When I used Yemen, I used chamomile tea and filter water at 96F I got instant dye release. (No other liquids or acid.)

Jamila took longer for dye release, I even added some hotter water, it took about 10-15 minutes to dye release.

Cassia will dye release after about 3 hours with water.

Do not use tap water that has chlorine in it.

Do not use bottled water that has minerals in it, the pH may be more then 7.

Blueglass
March 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
No I've never used chem dyes. Maybe thats why my hair isnt that porus. Henna, alma,cassia, chamomile, but no indigo. If I ever got chem highlights I'd have really green hair, and with my pale complexion dark hair would be a fright. Red, its to bad, but red, I tryed Morrocco method copper once just a pinch. It showed up, at least I noticed, but it just was weird on me. I could make my auburn with it, but too red/warm. I toned it down with marigold and some light brown and I don't see it anymore. Your right, our city water has chlorine. It's so common, I don't think about it. I leave it on all night. With plastic wrapp and a hat. I'm sticking to plain with no lemon marigold, stawberry and light brown if I use the light brown again with lemon, as I don't want to dark or too red.

MeMyselfandI
March 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Bluegrass why do you say you will have really green hair if you got chem highlights?

What is your natural colour, before the silvers showed up? Was there golden colour in it, reds, yellow or orange natural highlights. Was it more ashy beige with out the warm colours?

I know someone who had the whitest skin I had ever seen. She had golden/reddish natural hair. To me pale is how light skin is, not the colour of the tone.

Do you have warm or cool skin? These are just rough examples to use as guide lines.

Warm: eyes, golden, brown, green warm specks in them. Your face looks better with gold then it does with silver.

Cool: blue eyes, blue or green specks in eyes, Your face looks better withsilver then it does with gold.

If your skin is cooler, you may need to use amla to cut some of the warmth of the red. I am not sure, but this is just a thought. I think no matter what the shade, if the hair colour does not match the warmth or coolness of your face, it will not look right on you.

Once you know warm or cool, then you can decide on colour and the method you will use.

Do you want the henna application to just cover the silver and your look like it always did, do you want a WOW and turn heads or somewhere in between of, did you do something to your hair.

I do not know what the instructions for the MM powders are.

Never having used chemical dyes, I think is a major bonus. You have the option of removing as much of the henna (honey thread) on your hair and using your chosen new colour. You will not see lines and it will all look natural, your silvers will look like highlights.

Blueglass
March 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have only enhanced with some very light henna, from Anthony Morrocco. My cover was light blonde as a child, dark blonde, with light blond streaks as a teen , and still dark blonde, with light blonde streaks. I have a very small number 1 percent white. Lots of wiry darks I will call peppers- these peppers are a bit of a disaster for a blonde like me. They are coarse and sometimes break off. I have been very upset about this, and in October, found out my thyroid was underfunctioning got thyroid hormone replacements, but the coarse hairs are still growing coarse and curled and brittle. The rest of my hair is Marcia Brady straight and fine. So that's a mess, I think what I really hate is less my color and more my changing texture. My complexion is pale true to light, summer, and blue eyes. I prefer silver jewelery.