PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! I got petroleum jelly in my hair 0_o

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 02:15 AM
The soles of my feet were feeling a bit dry, so I rubbed petroleum jelly between my hands and massaged it in. Then a minute later, I ran my palm down the sides of my hair to tame some frizz, and now my hair is looking greasy. I already washed my hair today so I really don't want to do it again, and I have no time to bathe before my very first day of college tomorrow :( What should I do?

nessthing
January 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM
It'll take a few washes to get that out. If you really don't have time... well... ahaha. Ponytail? Or some other kind of updo to disguise the greasiness? I know that's probably a bummer for your first-day-of-college-hair-plans, but if not-down's completely out of the question, you could just leave it greasy.

I know I do.

On a thread hijacky note, I just got back from Honolulu and even petroleum jelly probably wouldn't have helped the epic woolen hair I got from the humidity. Everyone else's hair looked great. ;-;

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Did you notice all the longhaired people here? Even male teachers at my highschool had long hair :p as in BSL hair. That is, if they wore a bra...

EvaSimone
January 12th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I would just use a BBB to smooth my hair and put it in an updo. Or I would find the time to wash it, seriously it only takes 15 minutes or so right?

nessthing
January 12th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ohmigod there was so much tailbone and beyond hair. No one even looked at me the whole time. I was so used to the attention the length gets me in PA; all HI had to remark about was my blond streak.

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I would just use a BBB to smooth my hair and put it in an updo. Or I would find the time to wash it, seriously it only takes 15 minutes or so right?

Lol, yes it should, but the thing is, I have OCD. I have to make sure the water is right, I condition repeatedly until I feel like the conditioner is in "correctly," then I need it to wash out correctly. After I wash my hair, I need to make sure it dries correctly.

Then it's time to dress It takes me more or less 10 minutes to put my bra on until it feels right otherwise I won't be able to focus on anything else, and/or I will keep adjusting it at school.

I'm trying to work on it before it takes over my life.

Sometimes, during an "episode" I will shower 5 times a day. In each of those showers I will shampoo and condition my hair about 3 times. By the end of the day, I've broken down crying, my fingers, and my back ache, and my scalp is burning, and the top layer of my hair has turned into a cloud of frizz.

The frizz that caused me to put petroleum in my hair was caused by a recent episode.

That's why I'm so freaked out that I might have to bathe tomorrow morning O_O

BlackfootHair
January 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I would just comb it in a pony tail if you don't have time to wash it. I'm sure the petroleum will help the pony tail look nice and smooth.

talecon
January 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM
have you tried blotting it out with a napkin? sometimes when I put too much coconut oil in my hair I rub some out with my towel or a napkin.

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Ohmigod there was so much tailbone and beyond hair. No one even looked at me the whole time. I was so used to the attention the length gets me in PA; all HI had to remark about was my blond streak.

Lol, yeah, unless you're in the tourist, or military sections, it's short hair that is unique; Short, razored, "the bob" is all funky, foreign hair. Locally, those styles are mostly just worn by rebelling teenagers :p

Many guys here wear long, braided pigtails, or buns, or just leave their hair down long, and brush it in class, and no one dogs on them about it.

Also, in my birthplace, Philippines, long, black hair on women is considered beautiful, and short, layered, colored, hair looks trashy, and unprofessional.

It wasn't until I came on to LHC that I became aware of prejudice against long hair :(

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I would just comb it in a pony tail if you don't have time to wash it. I'm sure the petroleum will help the pony tail look nice and smooth.

Hmmm, I think you're on to something :) Lol, it's almost 1 in the morning here, and I can't sleep because I'm too nervous about school :p

You're right, I should put it in a ponytail. I like ponytails. I just never wear it because, one day, I put it up at school, and one of my friends said, "Ew, take it down." :angry:

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
have you tried blotting it out with a napkin? sometimes when I put too much coconut oil in my hair I rub some out with my towel or a napkin.

Too late, I just washed my hair :o

I wonder if petroleum jelly could get blotted out. I hate that stuff.

talecon
January 12th, 2009, 04:50 AM
lol when I was little my grandmother put me in beauty pageants where she'd rub petroleum jelly on my teeth. i never knew why that was but I've had bad experiences with petroleum jelly too :)

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Oh yeah, I've heard about that on television. I made an assumption in my mind that it is so their lips won't get stuck on their teeth during an interview, or on the way to a smile :p:p It would be so weird, and cool if I was right.

talecon
January 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
haha I still have no idea but I though it was to make teeth look shiny and glisten in the light? *shrugs* :D

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Homigod, I've finally become a member :cheese::p

LHC is so addicting, sheesh. I don't even Myspace anymore :shocked: Is there a shocked smiley that is less shocked?

jojo
January 12th, 2009, 04:57 AM
a little baking soda mixed with shampoo might work.

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 05:00 AM
haha I still have no idea but I though it was to make teeth look shiny and glisten in the light? *shrugs* :D

Maybe it's all the above, and also because it makes their teeth feel, and taste funny, making them not want to stop smiling, or they'll taste it. nah jk

Ok, I must sleep now. Goodnight LHC ;)

Stephunny
January 12th, 2009, 05:05 AM
a little baking soda mixed with shampoo might work.

Ohh, we don't have baking soda. We did, and then I somehow learned that it would foam up if I mixed it with vinegar. So I mixed it with vinegar :p

Magicknthenight
January 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Guh! This happened to me once. Except i was told it would help my scalp -..- mmhm. I put gobs on. Yes gobs. Regular washing wouldn't work. Everyone i asked said to wait a few weeks and it would go away e_e But me...being impatient...got some advice. To wash the spot with dawn 3 times and rinse each time with vinegar. Probably harsh. But that was a long time ago and I'm just glad it got out!

Anje
January 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
For now, I'd leave it alone. There are many, many hair products on the market that are full of petroleum, and while it won't directly moisturize your hair, it will seal moisture in nicely. If it doesn't come out on the first wash, that's OK. You can let your hair dry, comb it into a ponytail or a bun, and wash it again the next day. Overwashing won't do your hair much good, and the petroleum jelly won't do any harm if it's left in for a few days.

CestMadeleine
January 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Oh yeah, I've heard about that on television. I made an assumption in my mind that it is so their lips won't get stuck on their teeth during an interview, or on the way to a smile :p:p It would be so weird, and cool if I was right.

Yep it's true. Helps the lips move up fully by sliding off the teeth and not get stuck to them so your smile is more "beautiful".

As for the hair issue, it if hasn't washed out on your first try just wait another day to get it out. Get a BBB and smooth it out and put your hair up in something fun or pretty :D

Hue
January 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I have used a dusting of talcum powder or cornstarch (or even flour, once) gently rubbed through my hair and gently combed or brushed out in order to remove an overabundance of regular scalp oils in emergency situations. It definitely helped. Haven't tried with petroleum jelly, though.

Anyway, sounds like the moment has passed. Good luck on your first day!

velvetcat
January 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
cornstarch.
pour it on. coat your hair in it. comb it out, then do it again if it's still a lot. Wash as normal.

I know this works as my daughter (who was about 1 at the time) decided to cover herself, me and our blankets in it. FYI, use a butter knife to scrape petroleum jelly off fabrics, you'll be able to get most of it up without having to spend a lot of time washing it.

Good luck with getting it out, but the cornstarch really does work.

Stephunny
January 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the help everyone :inlove:

spidermom
January 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I used petroleum jelly for a slicked-back Halloween look years ago, and the only thing that would get it out was Dawn dishwashing liquid. I'm so happy someone told me to try it because I was stuck with awful hair for about a week before that.

Stephunny
January 21st, 2009, 04:36 AM
Ouch >_< I had an OCD episode and shapooed repeatedly. My hair turned into a frizz ball, but at least the grease is gone (-_-;)

Stephunny
January 21st, 2009, 04:37 AM
that should look more like ( - _ - ; )