PDA

View Full Version : ii or iii or ii/iii? Could use input

redcelticcurls
March 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I had just assumed that I was a straight up iii. I have volume!

But, an earlier thread dealing with curlies and the i, ii, iii part of hairtyping lead me to wonder.

In a ponytail that I would wear around day to day, I'm about 5". I counted that. But, someone mentioned "air between the curls" or "air between the hair." In a pinepple (I sleep in a high pony) I'm 7". But, in a tightly pulled pony, I'm a smidge under 4" but a little more than 3.75. In an oiled pony. I'm about 3.5.

I had wondered if I should make myself a ii/iii. All these different circumferences based on what my curls are doing baffle me a bit.

kwaniesiam
March 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
If your average is 5" on a pony you'd normally wear, then I'd say you're well into the iii range. The other measurements do vary, but even still most people with a 4" pony do experience less in oiled hair, etc. Such pretty thick curls you have, too :flowers:

CurlyNinja
March 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM
For my pony measurement, I just measured around the tightest pony I could--got around 3.8". My hair isn't as curly as yours and it tends to have less volume, but I figured a tight pony (like I would wear at the gym or running) is the most accurate portrayal of exactly what hair is in there, with minimal "air." I believe since density is supposed to measure relatively how many hairs/square inch you have, a tight pony should cover that and it seems closest to how straighter-haired people tend to measure. The idea is relativity, after all--so we curlies should try and measure as close to the standard as possible.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

spidermom
March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I think that anybody hovering around 4" should call themselves a iii because the ii goes all the way down to 2", and that's a big difference. At the nape I measure 3.9" but wow - do I ever have volume. It would be unfair to a low ii to call myself a ii.

redcelticcurls
March 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks ladies. It's always good to hear other POVs on these things.

darkwaves
March 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
You sound like a definite iii to me!

(Curly hair is weird, isn't it? It will sometimes compress amazingly well, and other times spring madly out.)

Angellen
March 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Par a suggestion by another LHCer, I twist my pony before measuring, and I measure around ear length. The twist helps to ensure that the pony is compressed. It helped a LOT with my consistency in measurements.

By that method, under 4" (3.8, for example) I would say is a ii/iii. Above four, and I'd categorize as a iii.