PDA

View Full Version : Silly question...what does "crunchy" hair mean?

Lutya
January 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I'm fairly new here but I keep hearing people refer to their hair as feeling "crunchy" and I can not for the life of me figure out what that means. Or, should I say, I have never had my hair feel anything like what I would consider crunchy. I guess the closest thing that I can vaguely imagine is what my hair is like after swimming in salt water? When it gets sort of sticky and stiff? Anyway, it's such a common term that I'm figuring it means something slightly different than what I am picturing. Or is it because I have never colored, chemically treated, etc. that I don't experience this crunchy feeling?

Anyway, thanks for answering my silly question!

GlassEyes
January 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Stiff and brittle feeling, as if made from a pile of straw and or stale candy/dry cereal.

MadHatter
January 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Stiff and brittle, like it would snap easily if you pull on it. It might sound like walking on parched dead grass when you squeeze it.

JamieLeigh
January 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
If you don't know what it's like to have crunchy hair, you're doing a great job! LOL, I hope I never have to find this out as well. :p

Lutya
January 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks all, I guess I've never had it! Lucky me. :)

jojo
January 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Ive had crunchy hair in the past and I think its when we have too much protein in our hair.

The ends feel like stiff and hard, a good moisturizer gets rid of it or applying oils to the ends.

More common in hair which is over processed, dyed, bleached, permed etc.

But it also happens when we have product overload, in which case a good claryfying treatment, followed by a deep conditioner and a ACV rinse works wonders.

CaraLynn
January 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Ah here's how to find out:

Get thee to the shower, and wash your hair.

Put too much gel on it while it's still sopping wet.

Scrunch.

Fifteen minutes later, scrunch again. What you feel will be....

CRUNCHY HAIR!! (at least if you're like me)

Ohh, you don't WANT to do that? ....:P Sorry, I'm just in a really silly mood tonight.

Teacherbear
January 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
My hair feels like little tiny needles poking me when my hair gets crunchy. And when my hair gets crunchy, it sounds and FEELS crunchy. My hair also tangles horribly when it is that way. It is yucky! (wow - great adjective, huh?! lol)

Lutya
January 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Okay, I guess you guys really do mean CRUNCHY and not something else...heh. So, maybe the secret to not having crunchy hair, for me at least, is no coloring or processing or heat tools; and not using any hair products other than poo and occasional conditioner (I don't use mousse or gel or the like). But I do have horrible static! Stupid 20% humidity in the winter. And I do use a humidifier at night to get it up to 40%.

Anje
January 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
It's also possible for some people to get "crunchy hair" under certain conditions when they apply lots of oil (typically coconut, it seems) to dry hair. Hair that has more moisture in it doesn't seem to have that problem as much, but YMMV.

ReddishRocks
January 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Sometimes it refers to when gel dries. :) As a curly girl, I'm always concerned about "scrunching the crunch" when my hair dries. Like another poster said, if you use too much gel, scrunching out the crunch is a difficult prospect indeed. :D

zen_oven
January 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
My hair gets crunchy-feeling when it's really dry, which tends to happen if it's cold and dry out and we have to run the heat in our house. Basically it feels dry and coarse to the touch, not soft. Running the humidifier helps in winter, as does oiling.

If you haven't experienced crunchy hair, I'd say you are doing a good job!