PDA

View Full Version : Topic for thought...Cutting hair during recession/depression???

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I read somewhere that when the economy goes into a recession/depression, women usually cut their hair shorter. The article said that women usually grow out their hair and keep it long when the economy is doing well.

Just wondering what everyone thought about this?

Many celebrities are cutting off all their hair and this is becoming the new style these days...

Is long hair more expensive to care for and maintain? (I don't think so personally)

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I read somewhere that when the economy goes into a recession/depression, women usually cut their hair shorter. The article said that women usually grow out their hair and keep it long when the economy is doing well.

Many celebrities are cutting off all their hair and this is becoming the new style these days...

Is long hair more expensive to care for and maintain? (I don't think so personally)

Actually I've heard the opposite of this as well. Think back to the 1920s - the economy was roaring; women wore their hair cropped short, and the flapper era was in the full swing. This type of clothing was risque, boyish and down right naughty! Once 1929 hit, the flappers almost completely disappeared. There was a return to more feminine, conservative silhouettes, and longer, more curled hairstyles became popular again.

I can see both sides though..

Long hair because it's "traditional" and we have a tendency to cling to tradition when faced with economic hardship.

Short hair because it's thought to save time in the morning when you have to get up and run to work.

Although I have to admit, I think that saying short hair is easier to style is a complete farce! I've had short hair, and you *HAVE* to style it, with long hair at least you can sweep it up into a quick and simple up and and be on your way...

This kind of conversation fascinates me!

Nat242
January 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The only reason for cutting your hair during bad economic times is so you can sell it, as far as I can see. Long hair *may* consume more products, depending on your routine, but you're less likely to have salon visits.

Honey39
January 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know - someone was admiring my hair and skin today because I've just turned 40, and they wanted to know all my secrets. I realised that I use very very cheap routines - loads of olive oils, brown sugars, conditioner-only on my hair, witch hazel and oil to cleanse with - and seriously, I have never looked better! I think long hair is cheaper myself, because there is less maintenance cuts, less styling, less everything.

I love the fact that natural/cheap products have awesome results!

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Actually I've heard the opposite of this as well. Think back to the 1920s - the economy was roaring; women wore their hair cropped short, and the flapper era was in the full swing. This type of clothing was risque, boyish and down right naughty! Once 1929 hit, the flappers almost completely disappeared. There was a return to more feminine, conservative silhouettes, and longer, more curled hairstyles became popular again.

I can see both sides though..

Long hair because it's "traditional" and we have a tendency to cling to tradition when faced with economic hardship.

Short hair because it's thought to save time in the morning when you have to get up and run to work.

Although I have to admit, I think that saying short hair is easier to style is a complete farce! I've had short hair, and you *HAVE* to style it, with long hair at least you can sweep it up into a quick and simple up and and be on your way...

This kind of conversation fascinates me!

I didn't even think about the '20s when I read the article. I see how women might think that shorter hair would be easier too (although it usually isn't).
I don't think cutting your hair during a recession would make a difference. And after having short hair, I KNOW you have to stlye it EVERYDAY. With long hair there are a lot of things you can do that are a lot faster.

Perhaps women aren't cutting their hair short now due to the economy but rather because things are changing with fashion, much like in the '20s. Being feminine isn't the stlye of today (though the style I prefer :)). Menswear is becoming popular and with it is coming shorter hair...

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know - someone was admiring my hair and skin today because I've just turned 40, and they wanted to know all my secrets. I realised that I use very very cheap routines - loads of olive oils, brown sugars, conditioner-only on my hair, witch hazel and oil to cleanse with - and seriously, I have never looked better! I think long hair is cheaper myself, because there is less maintenance cuts, less styling, less everything.

I love the fact that natural/cheap products have awesome results!

After having various lengths of hair, I have found that long hair is cheaper for me too. Of course I could see how some would spend lots on maintaining their long hair...But I use cheap stuff too :)

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Perhaps women aren't cutting their hair short now due to the economy but rather because things are changing with fashion, much like in the '20s. Being feminine isn't the stlye of today (though the style I prefer :)). Menswear is becoming popular and with it is coming shorter hair...

I actually just read an article the other day that said the exact opposite! *laughs* They said that we'll be seeing more feminine clothing, with a return to softer shapes, etc. I guess I've kind of started to see that, in that higher waisted jeans and skirts are making a come back, and blouses that are frilly, etc.. but I think women have reached a point where we'll *never* really go back to the entirely feminine look. It would just be impossible.

And yes, I agree - I love being/feeling feminine. It's funny, because if you'd seen me five years ago I was the complete opposite of feminine.

spidermom
January 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Women will often cut their hair because of mourning or loss, so I can see how an economic downturn could influence someone to cut their hair.

Women buy more lipstick during hard economic times, I've heard. Sometimes you need a little something to brighten your day (and your lips).

Elenna
January 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
During a recession some of the first things to go are unnecessary expenses. We need food, clothing and shelter; the rest are extraneous.

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
During a recession some of the first things to go are unnecessary expenses. We need food, clothing and shelter; the rest are extraneous.

Maybe allowing one's hair to go naturally is part of this too? You can definitely save money by having less trips to the salon, which could result in longer hair.

I know for me - being a poor graduate student has forced me to rethink how I do my hair. I used to go to the salon every month, and drop shameful amounts of money into cuts and colors. Now I do my own henna, and have only spent $25 in coloring over the past six months. I also haven't cut my hair since.. oh.. September?

Hehe.

spidermom
January 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Alcohol sales go way up. That doesn't quite fit the profile you just outlined.

Elenna
January 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Alcohol consumption goes up. I believe it!

Tap Dancer
January 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Well, celebrities are always changing their hair.

As far as people cutting their hair during a recession, I don't think it makes sense. Haircuts cost money. I think not having spare money would cause you to let your hair grow. Then when you can afford it, you can have it cut.

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM

True, alcohol sales go up, but I think that's typical of a depression - it's an exception to the rule!

Other extraneous spending though, does go down. For instance, my father manages a country club - they've lost over 40 members just in the past two months.

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Haha...I'm sure they do. Kind of off subject, but in one of my text books there was a chapter on substance abuse increasing when an economy was failing.

JamieLeigh
January 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think it's some sort of psychological thing. As though we relate the way we look, to the way we feel...

Long, flowing hair represents the richness and beauty of good economic growth, health and pleasure. Short, choppy hair is akin to loss, inflation, poorer times.

Or it could be something else! LOL. :p

dalriada-lady
January 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I still don't understand this theory, i personally don't feel long hair is more expensive. i spend as much on poo and condish and other products with shoulder length hair as with long ( below BSL ) hair, but maybe those in hollywood spend on more expensive products? or those products can't be found due to the recession? and that's why they cut their hair?
i simply don't understand the reasons. i know back in the early 1900's long hair was maybe more expensive because there was less products and they were truly expensive? but i don't get why it would matter now when there is a huge variety of inexpensive products to use. the main reason might be for those who use european or specialized products and due to the recesion those products can't be found or are even more expensive to get?

socks
January 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I think it's some sort of psychological thing. As though we relate the way we look, to the way we feel...

Long, flowing hair represents the richness and beauty of good economic growth, health and pleasure. Short, choppy hair is akin to loss, inflation, poorer times.

Or it could be something else! LOL. :p

It is a psychological thing. Just as women often cut their hair when depressed over a breakup as a way to sever themselves from the past by altering their appearance and letting go of their hair, women might also choose to cut their hair when depressed over a drastic change in their economical situation, such as when they lose their home or are forced to file bankrupcy.

It's also possible that some women fall prey to the idea that shorter hair is cheaper to maintain, and they use this as an excuse to spend some money on themselves. This might even be increased by psychological reactance (basically, since they want to spend money on unneeded things, but know that they shouldn't, they want to break this barrier and desire more and more the thing which is forbidden to them, which, in this case, would be the haircut).

Of course, letting your hair grow long would be the cheaper, more logical thing to do duing tough economic times. However, people aren't always logical. :lol:

wintersun99
January 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Are they? or are they just removing their extensions? I would suspect it's some of both.

No, long hair is not more expensive to take care of, it's less expensive in my experience. I would think that spending money on the salon visits is certainly one the first expenses to go, in a recession. It will be for me and I'm sure my hair growth will thank me for it.

So does p0rn use!

Debra83
January 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Interesting. I wonder how much hair sells for?

Kebbster
January 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think long hair in a recession makes much more sense, although when I suggested to DH that maybe my mother could cut his hair to save us some money I got a filthy look and a grunt, so I guess some people will always find money for nice hair :)

I remember reading somewhere that people actually increase their spending on entertainment during hard times, the example set is always the great depression when people would still find money for fun even if it was at the cost of a meal. What people apparently cut back on is more retail items, cheaper food.

I know from personal experience that when times are hard Im much more likely to justify a good night out but will still save every dollar I can grocery shopping. I wouldn't buy pretty hair things, but I would buy a nice coffee and cake. So I can see more the long hair concept, I think skipping a hair cut is an easy way to save a bit of money and I would do it if it meant I could go out that night.

Oh wait, whats a haircut again :cheese:hahahaha. I spend very little on my hair, I replace my wooden comb if I break it, and buy ouchless elastics, but I havent cut my hair in well over a year, and I dont use any product on my hair. Hard economic times? My hair laughs in the face of a recession :D

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hard economic times? My hair laughs in the face of a recession :D

Hehehe :) I like this!

Debra83
January 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Depends what your priorities are, no?

serabelle
January 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Off topic, but... Debra - I'm curious - 'cause I've seen this in your signature, and many others... where do you get your "hair title" from? The long-haired knights portion...

squiggyflop
January 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
well i could see how it would be less expensive.. when my hair was shoulder length i could just wash my hair with the cheapest shampoo and not even bother with conditioner.. of course most people go to salons.. i never saw the point when i hair was shorter.. i can cut my own hair thank you very much.. and my razorcut shoulder length hair was truly wash and go.. the only thing i ever used on it was shampoo and a brush.. most people cant get away with short hair because most peoples hair requires more styling than mine did.. and alot of peoples hair needs product when its shorter to look good.. my long hair costs much much more than my short hair.. my short hair cost like 50 cents a month.. and it was much easier.. my long hair eats money

short hair is harder for some but here is what short hair equals for me

short=no styling needed (most women say that short hair requires styling everyday but when mine was short it didnt need styling where when its long it needs to be styled everyday.. yeah im weird) in hard times i wouldnt want to style my hair
short=fast drying (i never really used a blowdryer.. i would just brush it backward and by the middle of first period my hair would have parted itself and set the wave pattern into a very flattering look.. so dry time 15-20 minutes) in hard times i would maybe need my hair to look presentable before i go to work.. long hair takes more than an hour to dry..
short=cheap (only ever had to buy shampoo no conditioner was ever needed) in hard times who has money for conditioner

so yeah i could see why some women would cut during a recession however i can see how some whos hair requires styling when short might not cut

ok i just dont get it.. why does everyone think that short hair involves paying for haircuts.. cutting hair isnt hard.. infact its easy.. i used to just go into the bathroom with a razor (the kind for shaving legs) and cut it.. scissors would have been way easier but scissors are harder to find that razors in my house.. sheesh im sorry but paying for haircuts is throwing money out the window.. i used to cut my brothers hair all the time too.. it was like shearing an orange sheep..

LawyerGirl
January 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe people get haircuts because it's cheaper than botox? Ha just a thought.

ReddishRocks
January 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Women will often cut their hair because of mourning or loss, so I can see how an economic downturn could influence someone to cut their hair.

If I had to guess, I'd agree with this theory. :) If you can't control the circumstances around you, why not control your hair? One way to exert control is through chopping it off! I used to do this when I got depressed or wanted a change in my life. I think it can be quite effective, but the effect wore off for me too quickly. I now try different up-dos instead. ;)

ReddishRocks
January 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
So does p0rn use!

LOL! Well, intercourse is one of the cheapest pastimes I know of... unless one spawns offspring...

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
LOL! Well, intercourse is one of the cheapest pastimes I know of...

Haha...that would be better than picking up drinking...

Fluke
January 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I definitely don't see the logic in cutting your hair in bad economic times...
One of the reasons I want to grow again is that I don't want to spend 80 (!) bucks every 4-6 weeks to keep my short hairstyle, and I used a perfectly normal big chain salon!
What I spend on conditioner and washing products doesn't even come close to that...

SafoByMengin
January 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
For me long hair is cheaper. Okay, maybe it's not that long - just APL. But when I was really short my routine was terrible. Now I can do what I want and it's getting better with length. Money? I don't know how to spend a lot of money for hair, when routine is cheap. COwashing with the cheapest conditioner, spray with proteins and without cones in the same price. Oh, okay - I'm buying one professional conditioner that costs about 14$ and it's good for half a year. My hair don't need much. Maybe natural oils, vitamins and this sort of things is pricey, but hey I'm buying it once a year.

LadyEliza
January 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hemlines go up during social and economical unrest...

SafoByMengin
January 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Oh one more thing - in my opinion and as I know myself - I usually cut my hair during bad days. I had never cut it while I felt good and happy. But the money thing - I can't agree.

manderly
January 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM

And this is why I'm going to be a bartender :D It's recession-proof!

serabelle
January 12th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Hemlines go up during social and economical unrest...

We saw the exact opposite during the depression in the 1930s - hemlines from the 1920s were much higher, and when the stock market crashed in 29, the result was that they dipped from knee length to mid calf, almost ankle for daytime wear, and practically floor length for evening wear.

DelynofRhondda
January 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Talked with my Mother, as she was a young woman during the "Great Depression". Her experience was seemingly contrary: Women cut their hair to show they could afford the salon visits. That also showed they weren't poor of "behind the times" fashion-wise.

She also said women sold their long hair for spending money. Then they could afford luxuries, like salon visits, make-up, accessories.

And, women wore hats. Hats fit over short hair better. Hats were fashion necessities, as well as statement pieces.

It's very interesting the different attitudes. I wish my Grandmother was still alive. She'd have an opinion two or three, and some witty observations.

Curlsgirl
January 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM
It is a psychological thing. Just as women often cut their hair when depressed over a breakup as a way to sever themselves from the past by altering their appearance and letting go of their hair, women might also choose to cut their hair when depressed over a drastic change in their economical situation, such as when they lose their home or are forced to file bankrupcy.

It's also possible that some women fall prey to the idea that shorter hair is cheaper to maintain, and they use this as an excuse to spend some money on themselves. This might even be increased by psychological reactance (basically, since they want to spend money on unneeded things, but know that they shouldn't, they want to break this barrier and desire more and more the thing which is forbidden to them, which, in this case, would be the haircut).

Of course, letting your hair grow long would be the cheaper, more logical thing to do duing tough economic times. However, people aren't always logical. :lol:

I was going to express my opinion but it already has been here :)

Nes
January 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Hmm... interesting thoughts from everyone.

The idea of cutting hair short as a way of seizing back control makes sense to me, as does the idea of severing it during a subconcious mourning period due to money troubles.

As far as celebrity trends towards hair goes... well I can't find the energy to care somehow?! If we followed celebrity trends, we'd all have extentions, 5 inches of make up and curiously orange coloured skin.

Nes x

BlackfootHair
January 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I think if there is a recession in the economy and more women are getting their hair cut I think it has something to do with getting a haircut being a justified purchase. Maybe they are trying to cut back elsewhere, but a hair cut can be justified. (for someone who does it regularly). It's also a little pick-me-up for some. They said they did a study and found the sale of lipstick tends to go up when the economy isn't doing so hot.

BlackfootHair
January 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Oh, and I personally don't think it costs more to have long hair. Keeping it short with regular trips to the salon and buying all the styling products seems more expensive than just being able to let it air dry or throwing it up in a ponytail. Even a product junkie like me I still think hair oils cost less than all the cool fiberous texture pastes or gels I'd buy if maintaining short hair. :)

brok3nwings
January 12th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Personally if i had no money and i havent found the LHC i would say that short hair would be the solution. The times i had short hair i wouldnt worry at all i would only wash and go. But im one of those that like short hair messy and not controled at all :)

SHELIAANN1969
January 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I would give up special food to buy conditioner! Recession or not, I am keeping my hair! ;)

Bene
January 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I would give up special food to buy conditioner! Recession or not, I am keeping my hair! ;)

same here. i have no qualms about living on ramen and cereal if it means i get to bring home something my hair likes. :D

---------------------------------------------------------

aside from the hair toy shopping, i think it's cheaper to have long hair. as a short hair, i spent tons of money on hair goo and serums and creams, and special conditioners, and heat contraptions, and trips to visit the hair cutting ppl. already the conditioner i use costs just a fraction of fructise and herbal essences, and oils are cheaper than john frieda no frizz goo.

Tangles
January 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm inclined to agree it might be more similar to cutting hair after a breakup. A desire to change something fast, a decision not necessarily made with appropriate cost benefit consideration ... ;)

wintersun99
January 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM

I feel like this now - but I think that in the past, I would consider going to the salon and spending money on me, a treat - especially if I had to give up luxuries during tough times.

Delilah
January 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Short hair was also part of the 'treatment' for head lice and such, which many families may have been exposed to when forced to move into cheaper and more crowded living situations.

flapjack
January 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM
In my opinion, long hair is so much cheaper than short hair, it's just not even a competition. The idea of getting shorter hair during economic hardship is the opposite of what I would think to be true. Unless you have a beautician in the family who cuts your hair for free and you need no styling products, I guess that would be an exception.

rapunzhell13
January 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Long hair is definitely cheaper for me. Short hair would require monthly trims at $25 a pop ($300 a year, yikes!). I don't use styling products at any length. I can understand feeling restless and wanting an instant and relatively cheap change though, for sure.

Lady Lilya
January 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I heard that skirt lengths go shorter with good economic times and longer with bad economic times.

---

In a bad economic time, my hair would be a comfort to me. And playing with up-dos is an inexpensive source of entertainment.

A bad economy doesn't necessarily mean having less free time. If you become unemployed, you have plenty of time to style your hair. If you've had to cut your entertainment spending, hair is a pleasant pastime.

----

I can see that economic prosperity would create a feeling of increased freedom, and then people would want to show on the outside how feel they free by distancing their appearance from traditional styles like long hair and long skirts. Then, feeling downtrodden by a negative turn of fortune, they would slide back into styles that they previously looked upon as frumpy.

These days, I have noticed that our society looks down upon braids, pony tails, and buns as being frumpy. I know how people react to me when I wear those styles. Strangers that I chat with assume I must belong to an oppressive religion and so I wear my hair constrained and my skirts long in order to express how I feel inside. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a return to pony tails, braids and buns as the economy worsens.