PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Length (how to for a shortie?)

smilinjenn71
January 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone!:waving:

I looked through the forums and even the Archived section but couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'm hoping you all can help a "shortie" girl out!

I've been so focused measuring the front layer of my hair for growth that I didn't take into account the back. So my question is this. When I measure from the front of my hairline, over and down the back of my head, I get 16". But my shortest layer is only 5". Which measurement do I use here on LHC? Like in my siggie line.... I only say the shortest layer. Should I actually be saying 16"; with shortest layer of 5"????

Don't think you'll disappoint me if you say it should be 5" because that's what I've been calling it all this time. I don't know why it came to me that perhaps I should be 'counting' it differently.:hmm:

Thanks!
Jenn

Silver Strands
January 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
You can choose either one you want or you can put "5-16" if that will fit in there.

jojo
January 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I measure from my front hairline, even when my layers were there i did, so either but the front of the hairline is more accurate, go girl 16"!

Anje
January 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Standard way is to still measure from your hairline over the back of your head, but I agree that it doesn't make all that much sense until most of your hair extends beyond the back-of-the-neck hairline.

Do what you like. If you'd rather measure your hair from root to tip until you have a bit of length, you can put in 5". No one will think that you have a really tiny head. But once most of your hair is below your ears, I'd suggest that you switch to the standard method, for consistency.

Silver & Gold
January 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I've been growing out short layers for the past year and my measurements had to be adapted. If you were to look at the change in my length from measuring over the head there isn't a lot of change because as the layers got longer I trimmed up the back a bit to thicken up the hemline.

Now that my hair is getting longer overall I will look at the measurement from the front to the back but I also make note of the layers and where they are laying. First the bangs at the tip of the nose, then at the mouth, chin, etc.

The measurement is for your use to determine your growth rate so adapt it and use it to fit your need. Eventually, when you have hair long enough the measurement over the top of the head makes more sense.

spidermom
January 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
In your case, I'd put "neck" in the current length.

smilinjenn71
January 11th, 2009, 03:02 PM
OK, cool beans! Thank you all for your help!:flower:

suicides_eve
January 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
i did root to tip until i had things kinda evened out. I belive my bangs were the longest and the easiest to measure so i went with them