PDA

View Full Version : For those with hair long enough to sit on

Dez
January 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
ok, so it's going to be a really long time before i can sit on my hair :) but I was thinking about long hair then I got to thinking. How do you keep it clean when you sit down and such? When you have that long of hair do you wear it up mostly? Just curious!

NebraskaChick84
January 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
my hair was (briefly) long enough to sit on when I was a teen. I made sure it was out of the way when I sat down (after the first couple of times when I pulled it leaning forward) :eek:

Eryka
January 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Its just kind of natural to swing it aside so you don't sit on it. My hair is knee length now and I don't even think about my movements anymore. It only takes a few times giving yoursef whiplash to remember to move your hair.

(This is why updos are popular for longer lengths as well.)

Amoretti
January 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Always wear it up. :)

EdG
January 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I too push my hair aside whenever I sit down. Doing so has become an involuntary action. :)
Ed

Polyhex
January 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm lazy. I sit on it. I just look down as I'm sitting so there's enough slack when I raise my head that I have a full range of motion seated.

BlndeInDisguise
January 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I always wear it up, but when I have it down to dry or whatever, I just put it over the back of the chair.

Or with the computer chair, I just swivel it around so that the back of the chair is directly to my left. And my hair hangs down. I'm not sure if it touches the ground or not. Probably does, but I guess I haven't really thought about it.

morguebabe
January 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I swing it over my shoulder and keep it in my lap if its down.
Other wise I braid it which makes it short enough to just brim where I'm sitting, or its up in a bun.

spidermom
January 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Mine isn't that long yet, but I already move it to one side or both (half forward of each shoulder) before I sit down. Or it's put up, of course.

Laululintu
January 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Mine is nearly always braided or up, to keep it out of the way.

Saranne772
January 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM
in the car I find it worse- if its sat on it tangles and goes frizzy due to friction, but it also has nowhere to go sideways and in front of me is a pain. Updos dig into my head against the headrest.

If Im on a chair I pull it forward to the side when I sit so it hangs behind the chair.

However I wear it up mostly now

Aisha25
January 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I swing my braid to the side or if there open then I grab the ends with hand and then sit. I do this like natural thing dont even have to think it just happens.

freznow
January 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
For the odd time when I do wear it down, I just pick it up and/or swing it out of the way, then place it on my lap or behind me as I sit.

<She>
January 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I do like others mentioned. Swing it to the side, put it on my lap, or just spread it further behind me. But I rarely wear it loose, I have it in a braid and bring it to the side.

Cinnamon Hair
January 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
At home I usually wind it around one hand then drop it behind me in the computer chair or on top of the couch cushion. Other places I would pull it over one shoulder and lay the rest in my lap.

dancingbarefoot
January 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
When you're not wearing it up, you just learn to move it out of the way. Besides, it doesn't ever really get dirty, even if I accidentally sit on it. I don't routinely sit in dirty messes, so my hair's not likely to get dirtier than my clothes. :wink:

Anje
January 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mine's not quite long enough to sit on yet, but I already have gotten into the habit of moving it out of the way when I sit. I don't like it getting caught between my back and chairbacks because it restricts my head movement. So I pull it over one or both shoulders when it's loose or braided.

Securing a braid with a claw clip will definitely help teach this quicker. Leaning against it hurts.

Speedbump
January 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
When I was a kid I just sat on it. :lol: Now it's not that long yet, but it's getting close and I either have it up or I carefully move it. I try not to sit in a chair with a back if my hair is down, for obvious reasons.

vbear
January 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I always wear my hair up. It just seems to be easier that way.

sahiba
January 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Its always worn up

shrimp
January 11th, 2009, 05:28 AM
It's up so it's not an issue.

But if I take it down once I'm sat then I jsut bring it over one shoulder and rest it in my lap, or if I want to cross my legs (trapping hair between your crossed legs then trying to move *hurts* - go on, ask me how I know :wink:) I let it hang down my side.

Finoriel
January 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I do not spend much time sitting and if I sit down, I do not tend to place myself on a dirty seat :wink: not because of my hair, itīs usually in a bun and out of my way, but getting my clothes dirty all the time would be really disturbing.
When my hair is braided I just put the braid on and over my shoulder to avoid leaning and sitting on it.

Lillian
January 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I usually wear my hair up. If it's down and I want to sit, I just swing it to the side when I sit down, and then the length just rests in the gap between my bum and the chair back.

eresh
January 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I too push my hair aside whenever I sit down. Doing so has become an involuntary action. :)
Ed

Haha yep same here...and when it is bunned, I still do "the move". :o
Oops..

harpgal
January 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Most of the time, I wear it up. However, if it is down and I sit, I simply move it to one side and let it either rest in my lap (if my kitty isn't there), or over the back of a chair. It's quite easy, really. :)

Lixie
January 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time. If it's down, I flip it over the back of the seat so I won't lean against it. I'm a fidgeter, so if it's between me and the seat it tends to be exposed to a lot of friction.

Stagecoach
January 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Usually it's up, but if not, I naturally swing it over my shoulder and plop it into my lap.

Solange
January 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
It's already been said, but I also just automatically bring my hair to the side before sitting down.

socks
January 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Like most of those who have posted, my hair is usually up, and when it's not, I automatically move it out of the way for hair-safety reasons rather than out of a afear of my hair getting dirty. It often brushes the floor when I'm seated, but I keep my floor reasonably clean, so it's not an issue unless someone sets something down next to my chair. On several occasions while in class, I have had to ask people to remove their backpacks and chair legs from my hair, and it's embarassing, not to mention painful. Similarly, when I sit in a computer chair, I have to either have my hair pinned up or keep it in my lap. Otherwise, I'm likely to run over my hair with the wheels of the chair. Also, while I'm not in the habit of sitting on my own hair, others are typically not so good about this, and when I'm sitting on a couch with my hair draped next to me, I often have to quickly snatch it out of harm's way when someone tries to plop down. People standing next to me while I'm seated can be dangerous, too, and while my hair has survived the treads of shoes, it isn't so lucky if I try to get up while someone happens to be standing on it.

So, like I said, I usually wear my hair up for safety reasons. :lol:

JamieLeigh
January 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I keep it up during the day, mostly, but not because of sitting on it...just because it's easier to manage 5 small children with it on top of my head. LOL. When it's down, I just pull it over my shoulders or sweep it to the side. Eventually, it gets to be so much of a habit that you don't think about it anymore, you just do it automatically. :p

trolleypup
January 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Any or all of the things other "sittables" do. You mostly don't have to think about it, since it is all routine and reflex.

LadyLongLocks
January 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Sitting on my hair was the reason I always stopped letting it grow in the past. I always trimmed it to the point where it was out of the way and impossible to sit on. Now I know how to make lots of buns to keep it out of the way. My hair is knee length now.
When I go back to a shorter length in the future, Its going to be short enough so I can't sit on it.
I plan on wearing it down more too.