PDA

View Full Version : mega tek does it really work?

jojo
January 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have ordered some mega tek and plan to mix it with my soapnut mixture to see if I can get some of this extra growth I keep reading about (im a sucker for an experiment!).

What are all your views/experiences with this product? please share!:D

LawyerGirl
January 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I just read about MegaTek the other day and have been wondering the same thing... I will be watching this thread!

OhioLisa
January 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Check out the thread on the hair products forum HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15952).

jojo
January 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
thanks yeah i seen that thread its great, just wondered what the views where typically of this product like is it damaging, suppose i could have asked that on that thread really!

I am currious yet sceptical on if this product is all it seems, mmmmmm time will tell, will let you all know what my results are!

wintersun99
January 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has been using it long enough to know results yet... or, if the results are consistent...

If you want to take the time to read the ginormous threads of the "other" forum that's linked (I started to read it, but the forum social interactions made me want to scream, so I bailed) but you may be able to get much better "results" info as that thread experiment has been going on much, much longer...

Sissy
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking though, that these is nothing special about the ingredients that would result in super speedy growth. However, I saw the girls in the mega-tek thread are saying it's really showing their roots and helping with growth. I heard from another poster that it's not bad, just nothing special. I will watch this thread as well, out of curiosity.

chrissy-b
January 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has been using it long enough to know results yet... or, if the results are consistent...

This is the issue with me. I gained over an inch in my first month of use. While this is the only thing I've changed in my routine, I'm giving it a couple more months to be sure it wasn't just a growth spurt.

If you want to take the time to read the ginormous threads of the "other" forum that's linked (I started to read it, but the forum social interactions made me want to scream, so I bailed)

My thoughts exactly. It gave me a renewed respect for the great community we have here. :)

beatrixn
January 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
It gave me growth, but also a lot of shedding (A LOT of shedding), which kind of put a damper on the new growth excitement. I only used it for about a month, so the results are probably more satisfying if you stick to it longer.

jojo
January 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
This is what im thinking too although it is an excellent thread (the link posted) im wondering if the people who got great results where going through a growth spurt and it just happened to take place when they used the mega tek?

Like I can read through the monistat thread and see the same people, month after month getting excellent results. I liked the monistat but it got tedious applying it, I am thinking with the mega tek i can just mix it with my soapnut juice, which will also help with any shedding issues hopefully.

curly girl fla
January 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have been using MT for a few months now, and I still really love it. I haven't measured growth, per se-I never "see" much length since it just curls right up, and I've never measured pulled straight. However, my roots are showing much faster, and the new, baby hair growth at my hair line is amazing. I was using Nightshade's oil (still do), and I think it's very nice, but my perception is that the MT is doing more. I don't think it's a miracle, but I do think it's just good for my hair and scalp. My massaging is more consistent with it, so that has a bearing in and of itself. I also use the rehydrant & avocado sprays (50/50), the survivor (as a natural, silicone-free serum) and the conditioner. To me these are just really wonderful hair products, and they work so well with the ayurvedic herbs/oils/butters and soap bars I also love. And the Eqyss products seem expensive, but come in large bottles and will last me for ages...:)

jojo
January 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you curly girl fla thats what I was looking for. I have read the whole of the link but it wasn't really answering my query on the long term effects of mega tek but thank you for all your imput.

Mine came in the post today and I mixed a little in a shaky bottle with my soapnuts applied and left on my scalp for 5 minutes, is it normal to tingle? this is ok right?

jivete
January 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Jojo, it makes my scalp a little unhappy. Slightly burny and itchy. But it does seem to be working. I believe I've gotten about an inch of growth in a month. I apply mine 3x/week at night before my wash. I may cut back on applications if adding oils doesn't help. It may be the silicone in it that my skin doesn't like but I'm not sure.

I'm on a trimming regime to get rid of my layers for the next 3 months, so I'll continue to use it to expediate that process. After that, I may rest for a bit.

melrose1985
January 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'm on my second week so far with it. I do 3 times a week at night. i use a dye bottle to get it on my scalp, and then I leave it in till morning where i rinse it out and then use condish all over. i wear a bandana to bed so it doesnt get all over my pillow and in the morning my roots are hard a a rock and stuck to my head. I dont get any burning or itching.

Kuchen
January 14th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Is anyone using it as per the instructions – ie lathering it on, leaving it for five minutes, then immediately washing off? I have had issues leaving stuff on my scalp (esp silicone) so I thought that would be better for me.

Hypnotica
January 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Is anyone using it as per the instructions – ie lathering it on, leaving it for five minutes, then immediately washing off? I have had issues leaving stuff on my scalp (esp silicone) so I thought that would be better for me.

The european version doesn't contain silicons, as I can gathered.

Catladyintown
January 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Does anyone use the Egyss re hydrant & avocado sprays? And how does it feel on your hair? Do you just use it as a leave-in? Also does anyone have the ingredient list of mega tek and re hydrant avocado spray? Thank you:)

Kuchen
January 14th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Aha! Thank you!

Debra83
January 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Mine's on the way! I also got the Survivor super detangler (some testimonials talk about how good that is). My parents golden retriever has a few matts around her ears so I'm hoping that it will help her. We don't want to shave her because it has been sooo cold this winter and its not over yet!!

chrissy-b
January 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM

This is what I do twice a week, and once a week I leave it on for about an hour before I wash. I haven't had any problems using it either way.

Lucky. :D

kdaniels8811
January 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Okay, here goes nothing! My mega tek arrived today, along with sample bottles of shampoo and conditioner! Nice bonus. I will measure hair length tonight and start tracking. You know, I joined this site to SAVE money on hair care, now I have henna, indigo, aloe, honey, catnip, mega tek, shampoo bars, hair-only scissors for "search and destroy split ends" missions, a quickly growing stock of hair sticks and toys... This is too much fun and I really enjoy reading everyone comments. I have learned a lot and my hair is much healthier already. Wish me luck, I have always wanted waist length hair, mine has never gotten below APL due to breakage and chemical damage. I have high hopes - smile! Thank, everyone. Karen D

curly girl fla
January 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Does anyone use the Egyss re hydrant & avocado sprays? And how does it feel on your hair? Do you just use it as a leave-in? Also does anyone have the ingredient list of mega tek and re hydrant avocado spray? Thank you:)
I use both. I mix them 50/50-well, more of the avocado now-and use as a leave-in before a cream/butter/moisturizer. The sprays feel just like water, but detangle nicely & I like the fact that they have citric acid which is great after washing with soap/shampoo bars as I do. I also use the rehydrant at night to dampen my hair before I oil. My hair just drinks in the moisture, but, as I said, I still like to use something with more "substance" over it (sometimes the survivor as a serum). I don't have the ingred's now, but will try to post them later :)

Catladyintown
January 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks curly girl fla :cheese:looking forward to seeing the ingredients for the rehydrant & avocado spray?

curly girl fla
January 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ok, Catladyintown...please forgive typos...

Survivor Detangler Shine: EQyss proprietary emollients, vitamin e acetate, keratin protein, panthenol, sweet clover, white willow, nasturtium, wild roseberry, sage, walnut tree, red poppy, color.

Avocado Mist: Deionized water, Avocado extract, Aloe Vera, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Defoamer.

Premier Natural Botanical Rehydrant Spray: Deionized water, hydrolyzed mucopolysaccharides, citric acid, allantoin, cetrimonium chloride, hydrolyzed wheat protein, sodium pca, propylene glycol, methylparabens, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, polysorbate 20, polysorbate 80 , extracts of aloe vera and lavender, fragrance.

Mega-Tek: Deionized water, hydrolyzed keratin protein, stearalkonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, peg 100 stearate, marine protein, peg 40, panthenol, dimethicone copolyol, magnesium citrate, allantoin, amino acids, methylparaben, mucopolysaccharides, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fragrance.

HTH :D

Catladyintown
January 14th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much curly girl fla.:D I really thinking about buying the Avocado mist.

Thumper
January 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Well I got mine last night and put it in a colouring bottle to apply - diluted mind you. I put a little spring water in to make the application easier because I was trying to cover the entire scalp. I did feel a slight 'cooling' sensation but that was it. I tied my hair up and went to bed with it in and as another poster sighted, it left my hair hard and crispy as well. I washed it out this morning and styed as per usual - no increased shedding for me, in fact I would say I had less shed.

At any rate, my roots are showing from colour application I had a the start of December so I am going to use that as a point of reference for measure and I will see where it goes in the next 4 weeks and will post in the main MEGA forum (on the products thread) about my progress.

Chin chin.

patissegrietje
January 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I received my coat rebuilder and avocado mist today.
My ingredient-list varies from the one curlie gurl fla mentioned.

Avocado mist: deionized water, cetrimonium chloride, aloe vera gel, extracts of: avocado, clove, thyme, lavender octyl methoxycinnimate, citric acid, methylparaben, imidazolidnyl, urea, fragrance

Coat rebuilder: deionized water, stearalkonium chloride, glyceryl stereate, cetearyl alcohol, peg-40 caster oil, cetrimonium chloride, hydrolyzed keratin, panthenol, toccopheryl acetate, dm dm hydantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, tetrasodium edta, fragrance

Catladyintown
January 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks patissegrietje:) I wonder why the ingredients are different. Urea sounds so yucky to use on the hair. How does the avocado mist smell?

Bene
January 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
i've got my megatek in a squeeze bottle with a mix of castor oil, jojoba oil and water.

patissegrietje
January 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks patissegrietje:) I wonder why the ingredients are different. Urea sounds so yucky to use on the hair. How does the avocado mist smell?

The avocado mist smells kind of strong as well, a bit chemical; i prefer more herb-like smells, but i guess i'll have to live with this.
The smell of mega-tek reminds me of the phyto jojoba shampoo i used before joining LHC, it smells stronger than my perfume. I think i will mix it with water and castor too, to try to get it less smelly...

Urea sounds yuck, but i try not to think about it too much, maybe it's the 1 ingredient that really works? :s

plainjanegirl
January 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM
The avocado mist smells kind of strong as well, a bit chemical; i prefer more herb-like smells, but i guess i'll have to live with this.
The smell of mega-tek reminds me of the phyto jojoba shampoo i used before joining LHC, it smells stronger than my perfume. I think i will mix it with water and castor too, to try to get it less smelly...

Urea sounds yuck, but i try not to think about it too much, maybe it's the 1 ingredient that really works? :s

Ok so I am curious but what is urea?

Catladyintown
January 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Plainjanegirl urea is another word for urine.

patissegrietje
January 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Ok so I am curious but what is urea?

exerpt: "Urea is, in essence, a waste product. It is found and retracted from urine"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

patissegrietje
January 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Plainjanegirl urea is another word for urine.

Sorry Catladyintown! i didn't see your post!

Another update about the avocado-mist; it coates my hair, i don't really like it. Maybe it is something i should only use on my length when i'm in need of extra protein?

jojo
January 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Urea is a waste product which is produced when the liver breaks down proteins and amino acids, apparently it makes the body produce nitrogen as a by product which incidently is an ingredient of fertilisers!

It is broke down by the kidneys and expelled into the urine, its what makes wee yellow and also gives bruises the yellow colour! along with biliruben! This is why we get jaundiced when the liver is not working properly because the liver cannot break it down, the kidneys fail to fully expell it, it leaks into the layers of the skin! ( can you tell im a nephrology nurse!!)

so there you have it, we are paying a fortune to pour wee over our heads to grow hair quicker!!!!!LOL!!

plainjanegirl
January 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Oh wow sorry for being dense. Now maybe I am not as tempted to try the mega tek right now. That kinda grosses me out.

Alia
January 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
It's amazing, the number of products containing urea that we use without thinking about it.:beer:

SeaPhoenix
January 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Urea can also be produced synthetically, however, rather than directly from urine, and often is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Bene
January 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure till february

but my hair FEELS longer!

Debra83
January 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM
not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure not gonna measure till february

but my hair FEELS longer!

FROM JUST USING IT YESTERDAY????!!!!!!???:confused:

...Deb checks mailbox for the 3rd time.....

jojo
January 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have also noticed my hair feels longer, I have some new sprouts growing on my head too, not the brussel ones that would be gross!

jojo
January 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Urea can also be produced synthetically, however, rather than directly from urine, and often is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea interesting! we are just re-cycling really!

Bene
January 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
FROM JUST USING IT YESTERDAY????!!!!!!???:confused:

...Deb checks mailbox for the 3rd time.....

i've been using it for about two weeks

Debra83
January 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
i've been using it for about two weeks

ANOTHER patience test, eh? Oh well, at least it's just a little wait in comparison to waist length...:rolleyes:

ladyluck
January 17th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I have also noticed my hair feels longer, I have some new sprouts growing on my head too, not the brussel ones that would be gross!

Hahaha you'd definatly have to take progress shots of that one! :D

I've been using MT from just after the beginning of Jan. I'm not noticing any length because I'm really trying to ignore my hair. But I do have lots of new sprouts too. :)

Unnamed
January 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Just a note (almost posted this earlier), but urea is found in a lot of conditioners/lotions--over half (guessing 75% or so) of the ones I've looked at labels for, and not always at the bottom like the Mega-Tek--sometimes it's about mid-way. Either diazolidinyl urea (generic Biolage cond balm, an old Aveda condish, and a couple other things), or or imidazolidinyl urea (Mega Tek, plus a bunch of other things). It's not in the two VO5 ones I looked at, or the Wen I looked at.

Both diazolidinyl urea and imidazolidinyl urea are used as anti-microbial preservatives, and is actually listed as a preservative on the Aveda condish it's in.

The second (imidazolidinyl urea) I believe is ingredient #5 in at least one Ojon conditioner. Yeah, that's right #5. So if someone really wanted to test it to see if it's what's causing the growth, might want to try that one.

(And yes, I did get the MT rebuilder, although primarily for a protein treatment--the hair protein (#2 ingredient in MT) was in my old protein condish that's been discontinued, my hair is very picky with proteins, and, well, I ran out of it so need something else. :lol: I've not decided if I'll experiment with it, although if I do my metabolism needs to be 'normal' first. It'll be tempting, as I've lost quite a bit of hair and once the hypothyroidism is fixed, I'll finally/hopefully get to find out how thick my hair actually is, and maybe it'd help get some of those hairs growing.)

Debra83
January 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yay!!! I checked my mail today and I have a notice that I have a parcel....I bet it's my order!!!! :D This feels like Christmas again!!!

jojo
January 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
yay! im quite liking the mega tek, my hair is shedding a little more-I can cope with that as I hardly lose any hair a day probably 30 hairs a day now say 50, so still within the normal limit!

I cannot wait to measure but I am going to resist until the end of February.

Debra83
January 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
YAY!!! :cheese: It's here!!! I've torn open the box and did my roots with less than a quarter sized amount - smells nice! I thought I smelled coconut something but now I can't tell - I'm going to leave it on overnight and see if I need to wash it out in the morning or not.

I'm soooo excited!!! :D

jojo
January 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
You will love it Debra, I have got 1/2" growth in 2 weeks and I just love the smell its gorgeous.

Debra83
January 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM
I also purchased with my megatek (which, by the way, I've been using every night faithfully for 3 days), something called Survivior Super Detangler Shine - Leave on Wet or Dry by Eqyss. It says, "A unique blend of ingredients creates the greatest detangler and shine product ever developed. Can be used wet or dry. Alcohol free. Non toxic, Environmentally friendly."

Directions: Put small amount on your hands. Rub together and run through the mane or tail. On braids simply rub a small amount on each braid." "Safe for human cross-over".

Ingredients: EQyss propriety emolients (I guess this is the "secret" ingredient; like Mac Sauce!), vit E acetate, keratin protein, panthenol, sweet clover, white willow, nasturtium, wild rose-berry, sage, walnut tree, red poppy, color

Weird it says color though, because it is window clear!

It doesn't smell as good as the Mega-Tek Rebuilder though. But WOW does it ever make my hair soft and no tangles...this is amazing to me because it is a "sticky" product but in no way does it make my hair sticky. :confused:

Debra83
January 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Okay, here goes nothing! My mega tek arrived today, along with sample bottles of shampoo and conditioner! Nice bonus. I will measure hair length tonight and start tracking. You know, I joined this site to SAVE money on hair care, now I have henna, indigo, aloe, honey, catnip, mega tek, shampoo bars, hair-only scissors for "search and destroy split ends" missions, a quickly growing stock of hair sticks and toys... This is too much fun and I really enjoy reading everyone comments. I have learned a lot and my hair is much healthier already. Wish me luck, I have always wanted waist length hair, mine has never gotten below APL due to breakage and chemical damage. I have high hopes - smile! Thank, everyone. Karen D

I KNOW!!! I've spent more money coming on this site than I did at the drugstore...and believe me, that was ALOT. sigh. It's all good though!

Sissy
January 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I KNOW!!! I've spent more money coming on this site than I did at the drugstore...and believe me, that was ALOT. sigh. It's all good though!

Tell me about it... I've spent quite a bit sine joining this site... I feel like I have to try every new thing. My most recent purchase was bone comb, soapnuts and silk pillowcases. LOL. Next will be catnip and some Aubrey Organics products.

kdaniels8811
January 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Update on Megatek. I was not going to measure, really! But I could not help it... I first used the mega tek on January 14 and today, January 24 (really? Only 10 days? I checked my notes to make sure I had not mis-read it...) and I have a half inch of growth. I checked three times to be sure! My fingernails are noticibly stronger and longer. Hopefully this is not just a normal growth spurt for my body, it is mid winter so I usually do not see activity until spring. But I am really excited! I am going to wait a month before measuring again to be sure it really is growing longer.

Method? I apply a quarter size drop to the scalp and massage gently for about 5 minutes. That also could be contributing to the growth. I was tempted to try it on SO's bald head but he objected, sigh... Smile!

I apply it every other day, the first several applications it did feel greasy but now it just dries so no greasies at all. And my fingernails! I may have to clip them! My bottle of mega tek is the one with blue writing, if that makes any difference. Let me know if anyone else is having any luck?

Oh, I am also not seeing anywhere near the split ends and breakage since I have been doing weekly catnip tea soaks. It is a godsend for me, my hair breaks before reachng BSL. Maybe I can really grow it to waist length!

In2JC724
November 22nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
I think I'm going to have to check this stuff out... anyone know if Grange Co-Op sells it?

kdaniels8811
November 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
I was told to check equine supply places - any tack shop should carry it.

curlywurlygurly
November 22nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
I've seen it available at most pet supply (online) shops.

I'm still a little skeptical about it helping with growth, although that is it's main purpose for animals. My partner swears to be a hair growth expert (as there is a familial link to alopecia in his family there for he's an expert?*shrugs*) therefore anything he does not approve of 'doesn't work' . I can't figure out if he doesn't want me to fuss over my hair or is just being stubborn and defensive?

Think i'll do some more research before committing to anything.