PDA

View Full Version : Red heads, where does your color come from?

prosperina
March 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I know there was a poll about this on the old site, but I really wanna see the numbers again.

I was talking to a friend and explaining to her that my sister is a red head, and so is my dad and that my mom and I both have red in our natural color. She said you've just always wanted to be a red head! And then she jokingly said there are two kinds of people: red heads and those that want to be red heads. I'm a wanna be. :D

If you alter your hair color, post your natural color. I henna/cassia and my natural hair color is medium strawberry blond (I think).

ETA: I'm a dumb a** and I accidentally voted for the wrong one. :rollseyes:

kissedbyfyre
March 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
All natural. :) Ginger cursed from birth. :p

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Natural redhead. Enhanced (read: covers the gray) with henna.

socks
March 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I was born a redhead, but turned blonde before my first birthday. My current lingering reddish tone came from a semi-perm plant-based dye (Special Effects in "Blood Red").

MadHatter
March 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm a hennahead. My natural color is dark blonde/light brown with strong red undertones (that's why I knew all-out red would work on me).

cassie_g
March 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I henna-d a chunk. Does that count as having red hair? My natural color is darkish brown at the roots fading to a medium blondish redish brown.

Feisty Redhead
March 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Genuine redhead here. :D

Nightshade
March 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
100% henna, well, no 50% henna 50% cassia :p

redcelticcurls
March 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Naturally dark/dishwater blonde, chemically dye red at a salon.

Anje
March 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Natural red-auburn. Started hennaing to get rid of the winter browns. (I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.)

AnneAdeline
March 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I henna, though naturally a light brown/dark blond.

truepeacenik
March 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
What the *(^&*%are you asking about red heads for? now kiss my spiky boots! :silly:

(gee think I'm real?)

redcelticcurls
March 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Natural red-auburn. Started hennaing to get rid of the winter browns. (I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about.)

Funny, I do notice my Dad browning out with age as opposed to season. He has some white in there, but it is more that he turned brown than turned gray or white.

So, while not showing the redhead gene, I do carry it. ;) My poor skin will tell you that!

prosperina
March 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
What the *(^&*%are you asking about red heads for? now kiss my spiky boots! :silly:

(gee think I'm real?)

Yes mam!

There are so many other ways that I could respond to that that just might not be appropriate for this website. :D

MerryKat
March 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Natural Red Head - My hair as always been more deep auburn than a copper or red. My ends are currently henna assisted, but it is slowly growing out.

AlleyKitten
March 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm a natural strawberry blonde -- when I was small, I had the carrot-iest red hair ever, but it faded to blonde about age five, and then sometime in high school the red started making a comeback. At one point, I dyed the two frontmost streaks of my hair a darker red, but I haven't done that in a long time.

jel
March 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
My hair is naturally ash brown - from almost platinum at the front hairline to dark at the nape. I used to dye it blonde (or highlight) for over 10 years before I decided that red suits me better ;)

SHELIAANN1969
March 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It was a little challenging to figure out the right response!!

I was born with red hair, it became strawberry blonde in my younger years, after my 20's it became more "dishwater or dirty blonde" and then I hennad!!

So, did that clear it up?? lolol

ohjezebel
March 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I naturally have ashy-toned medium brown hair. Henna and red wine do lovely things to give me a cooler burgandy tone that works with my skin. There are a lot of redheads on my mom's side of the family, so I have that kind of coloring, but not the hair.

khyricat
March 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
naturally I have very dark hair with reddish highlights/undertones.. now its going grey, so I henna and get even more red highlights!

Red Jezebel
March 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM
All natural. :) Ginger cursed from birth. :pI know you mean blessed ;)

Another natural one here! :D I love it (who'd have guessed, huh?).

Isilme
March 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
hennahead. My natural colour is dark blonde/light brown ashy. My mom's side of the family are mostly redheads and I got her coloring with only a slighter better resistance to sun and I had dyed my hair red with washout dyes several times as a young teenager so I knew I would look good with red hair. And I felt the need to fit in my my redheaded family (hey, I got the colouring, the temper, but not the hair. Not fair!;))

sweetlidlred
March 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
My mom teases that my redhair is from...the mailman;). I am an all natural red, who hated it when I was a kid, but absouletly love my red hair now and can't wait for it to be long.

Redheaded Raven
March 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I'm a natural red head,:blossom: but I enhance with henna shhh :run:hehe

foerland
March 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I am a natural red head. Would never consider using any artificial coloring.

MercyD
March 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm natural brown w/red highlights...and currently I'm red from a box. Now that I've all this info from LHC, I've been considering trying henna.

squiggyflop
March 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
my hair is naturally a reddish brownish color that looked like a different color in every light... in the house i looked like i has chestnut hair but if i went outside it looked auburny reddish..... in highschool i had a class where we all put our hair under the microscope to see what color the cores were and then we had to figure out whos hair was whose... my hair was bleached blonde at the time..no one could figure out who had the red hair... then the teacher announced that it was me... even with my hair bleached platinum blonde my cores are still red... the next day i dyed my hair pink.
its very interesting to look at hair under a microscope. you can always tell what color a persons hair really is... there was not one natural blond in the room... and i was the only one that had a red core so the teacher used mine as an example... red hair is strange because the red has little flecks in it under the microsope
ps i enhance with henna

soleluna
March 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Natural reddish brown, red in the sun... My friends call me a redhead and I always insist I am not.. but they say my hair is not brown and it's not red but since in the sun it's really reddish.. I'm a redhead. I henna once in a while, too. :)

Sam-I-Am
March 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I get my red hair from my dad :D

I guess technically it's a recessive trait, so I got my natural red hair from both parents.

Alley Cat
March 28th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I have stopped hennaing but my red still comes from henna , I am using rinses at the moment. :) I last hennaed 3 months ago so the red will be here for a long time which is fine as I love red/brown tresses. :inlove:

KatKeRo
March 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Also a hennahead.
I started out whiteblond but by the time I was 35 it was ashbrown. I coloured a few years with chemical dye and started henna about a year ago.

Shell
March 28th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I love seeing all the red hair in this thread!

Well, I consider myself a blonde, but if I'm honest, my hair has been changing color for the last few years. It's getting progressively redder. Now, some people in the past, including a doctor who treated me for a skin condition that only red heads get, have insisted I was a redhead. I recently did a henna gloss, which has brought out those red highlights. I dunno, a strawberry blonde? What do you all think?

My natural hair:

http://www.gossamerstrands.com/Hair/100_2432.JPG

My natural hair with a henna gloss:

http://www.gossamerstrands.com/Hair/goodhennapic.jpg

ETA: I've also taken to wearing make up designed for redheads, and it's the first make up that ever really matched--what does that tell you? Here's the link for you all: Just For Redheads (http://www.justforredheads.com/)

ETAA: Oh, I voted "cheese" I wasn't sure where I fit.

harley mama
March 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM
My hair has a natural red tint to it. It is more pronounced during the warm months when I am outdoors a lot.

nienna42
March 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm a hennahead, so my red is not my natural color. It looks more natural on me than the blond that is my natural color, though. The blond hasn't looked right on me since I was a little kid.

coppercurls
March 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
:waving:Natural redhead here. I started coloring in my 20's to cover up grays that were starting to show up. I am currently growing out the chemical color. I was really suprised to see how my hair color had gotten darker as I aged. So now I guess I would have to say I am an auburn/chestnut color with silver sparklies.:cool:

redhead_rachel
March 29th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Natural. I'm pureblood Scot, it's run in both sides of my family for generations :)

Patrycja
March 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
natural red highlights with brown as a base color.I have enhanced it before but now I'm growing out to my natural color.Its hard bc I keep seeing those wonderful hues of dark red here from henna but scared to try it.

plus-chemical dyes are cheaper ;)

Requiax
March 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have to amend my vote as of last night, when I did my first henna gloss!

aprilmay
March 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I am not a redhead, but I have natural red highlights, but I don't think that counts for voting.

almudena
March 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hennaed red (auburn) hair here :)
BTW, love the auburn mascara from Just for Red Heads. It looks absolutely natural and it is perfect for covering my sparkling whites roots here and there between hennas :)

nowxisxforever
March 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm naturally a brownish color, but I do have strands of just about every color if you look closely ;) So I don't feel so bad coloring.

I did chemical red dyes three times when I was in high school, but they never looked quite right on me. I hennad my hair for the first time last Sunday and I love it! It works with my skin and eyes just fine (I have light skin and blue eyes), and I love the leftover henna/cloves smell whenever I get my hair wet. I've gotten tons of compliments on it too.

I wish I was a natural redhead, but this will have to do!

Messyhair
March 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Well, my dark auburn was originally dye, then henna, then more dye, then awful henna that turned my roots yellow, then more dye, then stripped a bit with mineral oil and many harsh washings. Over time, it's become a light orange. :)

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
My hair is extremely dark brown, so dark it usually photos purple with my camera, but i have major red undertones that you can see when you look at me in the sun at the right angle, and my hair becomes more red when I'm in the sun a lot, so it looks a lot more "brown" and less "black" (like a lot of people tend to call it) when I'm in the sun a lot, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot

jesamyn
April 1st, 2008, 05:23 AM
My hair is medium-darkish brown naturally with a very warm cast to it (definitely reddish in the sunlight). In contrast, my temples have been a lighter ashy brown for as long as I can remember now.

All of it gets the henna treatment, so it's auburn/mahogany/burgundyish depending on lighting. Love that stuff!

2littlebirds
April 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Natural redhead - well, towards the auburn side.

Rain
April 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Er, cheese? I had red hair when I was a baby. It darkened as I got older but it's always had a lot of red in it. Naturally dark reddish brown and I up the red factor with henna. It's still dark indoors and red outdoors. It's just more red outdoors.

ilovelonghair
April 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I henna. My real color is some kind of darkish blonde with red tones.

Irishred
April 8th, 2008, 08:12 AM
<--- All natural. I do get blond-ish highlights in the summer especially if I use a bit of lemon.

Aljona
April 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
My natural colour is golden/strawaberryblond. I tried to enhance it with henna, but I found the colour to be too dark and intense for my very pale skin. Then I tried using chemical colour, I liked the shade I got but the colour was too drying and because I'm a vegetarian I didn't want to use a product that is tested on animals.

Now I'm using a henna-based herb colour from Santé (a german organic brand) in strawberryblond. It's a mixture of henna, cassia, indigo and some other herbs. The shade is really nice and quite natural looking.

homeschoolmama
April 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm a natural strawberry blonde. My hair was strawberry blonde at birth, went to nearly white-blonde as a young girl, and is slowly making its way back to strawberry again. The older I get, the more red seems to be coming out.

I just tried experimenting with carrots for a bit of color. Don't think it did much, but the general concensus seems to be that over time it could. I'm also seriously considering adding some hibiscus "tea" to my ACV rinsing and if I'm lucky that ought to bring out even MORE red.
love,
mom

betsala
April 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
all natural, and i can't forget it! i love it and all of the freckles that come with it. i could live without some of the stereotypes though (even though i fall into some of them).

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Natural red and I am learning to be ok with that! (hated the attention since childhood)

dearladydisdain
March 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I use henna but my natural hair colour is a mix of blonde, brown, and red. No one can ever decide what colour it truly is! :p

ReddishRocks
March 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread, I was all prepared to say, "Well, mine comes from my father's side of the family!" ;)

A little off topic, but people have asked me in the past if seeing girls with "fake" red hair made me (a born-red) upset/angry. That question always confuses me... like there is something less "real" about someone else's red. :rolleyes: Yes, I'm pleased that I was born with red hair, but goodness knows I'll be facing the to-color-or-not-to-color question soon enough! I'm glad to know there are plenty of people who have crossed that road in front of me who can show me the way!

AcadieAnne
March 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
This is my natural haircolor - I applied the henna myself! :D

IndigoInk
March 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
I have natural red in my hair but used to dye it auburn with Feria. I haven't dyed my hair in about 8 years now. I want to henna :) I'm still pondering it due to the uber permanent nature of henna.

kwaniesiam
March 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Henna and cassia combo here, with the occasional Manic Panic or Special Effects blood red when I get bored ;)

getoffmyskittle
March 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Red hair comes from two recessive genes on chromosome 16, which causes a mutation in the protein MC1R, which is then phenotypically expressed as pale skin and red hair.

:P

Miriela
March 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have hennaed in the past but I've got several inches of roots now. It's probably been nine months to a year since I last hennaed. But my hair is naturally auburn-y. Brown with enough red in it that nobody knows where my roots start unless I point to it.

BranwenWolf
March 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Box redhead (Clairol) that's fading out at the moment.... more strawberry blonde now.

(my natural color is blonde)

princess
March 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am not a redhead. So can I not vote in this poll?

What do black heads like us do?

Wavelength
March 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I was born a strawberry blonde, and my hair was bright red when I was a toddler. After puberty my hair went more auburn, and by my mid-20s it was deep auburn (medium brown with red highlights). I use henna to bring the red back out, as that tends to go better with my skin tone.

My parents were both brunette but my granny was a redhead till she went white. In fact, they used to call her Ginger! :D

burns_erin
March 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
I put I am a red head but i enhance with henna because even though my hair was not strictly red, there was lot of red in it.

RedStripe
March 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I love seeing all the red hair in this thread!

Me too! Hey Shell, thanks for the link to the redhead makeup -- just what I've been looking for. (Your hair is gorgeous, BTW.)

As for me -- say it loud, I'm a hennahead and proud! :cheese:

neon-dream
March 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm a natural red head, thankyou very much!
No enhancers or anything :D!

ReddishRocks
March 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
This is my natural haircolor - I applied the henna myself! :D
LOL! Bravo! :D Henna's "natural" right?

deko
March 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
The only red color that sticks = henna. My natural color is warm dark blonde.

vampodrama
March 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
100% natural.... I mean, henna :cool:

rach
March 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
henna on top of black and blonde streaks and roots. never going back! the henna red looks great!
naturally i'm a medium brown.

lora410
March 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Plant red-head here.

Gutterfayrie
March 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
dirty dish water blond (from what I remember 14 years ago) to hennahead.

shayly-fyanna
March 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi, My hair is a natural dark reddish brown with gold and now silver in it. I enhance with Henna to make it brighter and to hide the few stray silver hairs i'm starting to get. I get my natural red hair from both my parents, my mom got it from her grandmother who was German and my dad was Scottish as is all his family. unfortunately i was the only one in the family that missed the curly hair gene's on my mother's side. my dad had wavy red hair. but i guess someone back in the family tree had straight hair for me to inherit it. :p

IrishRover716
March 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Natural redhead (only one anyone can remember among generations of Irish folk), but I use henna to cover up the gray. Because, you know, 20 is just a little to young to embrace your gray hair.

BranwenWolf
March 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Shayly-fyanna: your hair just GLOWS in that picture! I love the color!

I was born with red hair but it changed to blonde when I was about 2-3.
There's redheads here and there in my family tree. My niece that was just born appears to be going ginger!

Finoriel
March 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Natural redhead using Henna glosses from time to time. Mostly to get it more coppery in winter and to prevent the strange ´dulling´ effect some stray-greys, not yet forming pretty streaks, have on my hair colour.

Lissa
March 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
There are some disagreements on wether I'm a redhead or not (well, it's mainly my mother that claims me to be blonde), but the colour is all mine. I'd like to try cassia or henna to enchance it though.

fishwich
March 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I got what is generally called "hair-colored hair" from my parents. Kind of a nebbishy dark blonde. Henna makes me flowerpot red, huzzah. :)

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think I sort of count as red - I get called "strawberry blonde" which is a sort of description of "a bit ginger".

All entirely natural - I'm too lazy to dye my hair, too much work!

LutraLutra
March 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Yep, I'm another natural auburn currently suffering from a bad case of the winter browns. C'mon sun, I want my copper colours back.

AnimaSola3o4
March 26th, 2009, 05:25 AM
My red comes from.... my dad....? All natural. My dad had reddish brownish hair as a kid, and it darkened as he aged. And there has been at least one natural redhead on my mom's side (before my time), so I think the genes are there on both sides. My mom (and twin brother) and naturally darkish blonde.

caribou55313
March 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Ash blonde to henna auburn. My mom's a natural redhead though! :o

cobblersmaid
March 27th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Blonde who's hair started to darken to a weird brown that almost looked grey. I hated it and tried to naturally lighten it for a year. It didn't help much, so I gave in and henna'ed. I love the red!

kimi
March 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I was born a strawberry blond, detoured to a light brunette with red highlights, then slipped back to dark strawberry blond with the help of henna.

ancilla
March 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Henna!
Though I wish it was my natural color sometimes, which is a very light translucent brown with red highlights.

DecafJane
March 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I added red colour to my hair today. I love it, and it really suits my complexion more than the natural dark brown. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3393960789_cc359fe2fb_m.jpg

Gothic Lolita
March 29th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Natural reddish-brown. More reddish than brown and enhanced with very light henna glosses. (1 hour of un-dye-released henna)

Milui Elenath
March 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Born a redhead, went light brown at about 2 yrs old and over the years its had many multi colours all natural before settling at red medium brown. (I'm not counting a few chemical dyes in the past that never took and one that went purple briefly - Luckily it didn't take either.) Now its henna enhanced to cover greys.

Pacific
June 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm a red head by nature but I enhance with henna for more than 20 years.

MandaMom2Three
June 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Natural auburn here, I henna too

Medievalhair
June 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm a brunette, more of an Irish brown, than anything, but I hennaed it.

GoddesJourney
June 9th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Naturally brown, red/copper in the sun. What I've had for the last few years is virgin hair.

Gingevere
June 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM
My mom left me out in the rain when I was little and my head got rusty.

patissegrietje
June 9th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Born bright orange, colour is fading a bit with age, but still a genuine redhead :)

Pegasus Marsters
June 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Naturally I have brown hair, but I use a box dye to change my colour to an awesome red. ^.^

ChrissieM
June 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Strawberry blond here, but I want it redder! I'm currently seeking the perfect shade with henna/cassia.

theshadowpuppet
June 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'd kill to be a natural red head.

But I think even if I was I'd do henna glosses.. enough to strengthen, but not get rid of my natural color.

*Rose Red*
June 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Natural blond-red. I´m the only one in our family with red hair :confused:

lambhair
June 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Naturally light brown/dark blond-ish with red/gold highlights....started using henna to bring out the red more and fell in love with it.

Fractalsofhair
June 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
A wig! (Today I bought a waist length dark red wig for a school project.)

Nyghtingale
June 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Dyed my hair for many years then found henna after coming here. Love the henna.

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
I'm actually a brunette with naturally red highlights and undertones. In the sun it looks awesome :)

Noctifer
July 1st, 2009, 04:02 AM
Box dye overhere

lundmir
July 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Box dye too, but I'm thinking about going black (my natural color). Everyone I've asked says red really suits me, tho.

lovebug
July 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
My natural hair colour is a nice light copper tone, but I like to give it some extra oomph with henna treatments. Discovering henna was probably the best thing that has ever happened to my locks - no more chemical dyeing for me please!

RedJen
July 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
ETA: I've also taken to wearing make up designed for redheads, and it's the first make up that ever really matched--what does that tell you? Here's the link for you all: Just For Redheads (http://www.justforredheads.com/)

ETAA: Oh, I voted "cheese" I wasn't sure where I fit.

I love JFR-- theirs is the only mascara that looks right on me.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was all prepared to say, "Well, mine comes from my father's side of the family!" ;)

A little off topic, but people have asked me in the past if seeing girls with "fake" red hair made me (a born-red) upset/angry. That question always confuses me... like there is something less "real" about someone else's red. :rolleyes: Yes, I'm pleased that I was born with red hair, but goodness knows I'll be facing the to-color-or-not-to-color question soon enough! I'm glad to know there are plenty of people who have crossed that road in front of me who can show me the way!

When I was younger, fake redheads annoyed me, since most of them didn't have to go through what I went through in school being a natural redhead. But now I don't care.

I'm just about to take the plunge into henna to brighten my hair. My dad's natural red hair is fading to brownish red (he's 55) so I'm guessing mine will do the same thing. Of course, my maternal grandma's natural dark red has been fading to yellow, so who knows? I'm going to do a mix of henna and cassia, just to get a bit of brightness.

ilyasviel
July 3rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
My hair is chemically dyed with Elumen. My natural haircolor is very, very blonde and it does not suit me at all.

Rentlle
July 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hennahennahenna!!!! :D
But it's orange? that counts, yeah?

scarletdreamer
July 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Well, it's actually a strawberry blonde, but people always say they love my red hair :)

Nyghtingale
July 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hennahennahenna!!!! :D
But it's orange? that counts, yeah?

wow, I thought that was natural (as in born with it). It's beautiful

Medievalmaniac
July 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I was white-blonde as a child, turned ash-blonde as a tween, started dying in high school, and it appears my hair has darkened even more since h.s. - roots come out grey and a dark ashy brown color with slightly reddish tints. But I've always been a redhead in my heart and soul, and anyone whose seen it will tell you my temper is as Irish as they come.:eyebrows: I'm naturally a throwback to the Irish on my mom's side, and I know there were redheads in there, so I've chosen to embrace it fullheartedly. But I do need a little help every few months from L'Oreal, alas.

Speckla
July 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
hennalucent

EtherealOde
July 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I was born red, but it got a bit drab as I aged and greyed. I started coloring my hair around age 20 to cover my grey streak and brighten my hair some. When the greys got to be predominant, I switched to bleaching and coloring my hair blonde but it was pretty damaging and dried my hair a lot. So I finally did the henna, mixed with Cassia. My hair is grateful. :)

*edited in this part* There should have been one more category, hehehe...used to be red but it turned to grey enhanced with henna. :p I miss the nice color I had when I was young, and never appreciated it. My younger sister still has the same gorgeous strawberry blonde color she had as a kid, because she has barely greyed at all.

EynaraWolf
July 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM
My natural hair is medium brown with auburn highlights. I did Henna for the first time on Friday after years of chemical dye. My hair is much happier and is a fiery red that I just love. Henna will be how I color my hair from now on or until I decided to stop coloring.

Eden_Rayn
July 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I have a lot of red high lights in my natural color as well as a few blond highlights thanks to mom. My fiancé says I am a natural auburn but I don't know what to call it.

faeflame
July 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm a natural redhead, but the color is weird-- more brown indoors or in the winter and gradually darkening as I age, plus the greys are starting to appear. All that leaves me longing for the true red color I had when I was younger. I'm thinking of tossing on some lemon juice and sitting in the sun, or maybe cassia-ing with enough acid to shift the dye to red (any ideas?). When I tried cassia and chamomile just for the conditioning I got a weird greenish yellow tint left on my hair that just dulled the color, luckily it washed out!!

cjjester
July 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Strawberry when I was born turned very blonde by two then got progressivly redder till it was nearly orange then it went back to blonde! In my mid teens it was a mousy blonde with lots of red. Then I started colouring it. In my early twenties I let it grow out and it was a pretty strawberry with lots of platinum blonde streaks- but it was so pale I started colouring with henna and I have been using some type of colour ever since. Now I have no idea the colur but lots of silver in there!

thankyousir74
July 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
My mom left me out in the rain when I was little and my head got rusty.

:D Well put. I'm naturally a light brown and henna is just great :bunny:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Salon color + henna/cassia treatments. My hair is far too dark to do just henna alone :( but if I could I would totally henna the heck out of it!

TokyoPink
July 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Naturally light auburn, though lemon juice gives me blonde highlights :D

Lady Mary
August 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Ginger here so the color is natural. I didn't always let it be red though Spent years changing the color to something else. :o

Feenzauber
August 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'm one of these all natural hennaheads :D
though my natural colour is quite warm-golden-copper-litebrown.

Stephichan
August 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My natural color is a medium-dark blonde, but I just hennaed for the first time (I'm still at the orange stage).

Lemur_Catta
August 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
My natural color is dark brown, with the ends ruined by bleaching, so when I henna my hair it is dark red in the roots and bright red in the ends :\ I hope it will become even one day

redpepper
August 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
My natural color is med/dark auburn. And I love red hair. But I need to add some shine, and get rid of the gray. (or some of the gray that is coming in.)

I'm not sure if I should henna or color from a box? I'm a grandmother, and love my grandbabies, but I don't have to look like a granny!

If any one has any suggestions, I'm listening. TIA

:puppykisses: Anna

Missa
September 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
I guess growing up it was a golden strawberry blonde and when I hit puberty it went light auburn. Now it's naturally a light brownish auburn. I've been using Henna for about 5 years to make it brighter. My mix is half henna half suave coconut conditioner applied to roots only and I do a gloss on the lengths once in a while. I've found in the past if I use higher concentrations of henna it goes too dark or cool toned.

Fencai
September 23rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Im a henna head, but I have a lot of natural red in my hair. Going blonde was never easy because my hair swings red.
My mom used to tell me when I was little that she could tell when I was in a "fired up mood" because my hair would get redder!

Jeepchick99tj
September 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Im a henna head, but I have a lot of natural red in my hair. Going blonde was never easy because my hair swings red.
My mom used to tell me when I was little that she could tell when I was in a "fired up mood" because my hair would get redder!

My hair has always been naturally auburn, but now I'm wondering what my plan should be once I start graying...(I don't want to give it up)

My mom said the same thing about my hair getting redder when I was ornery, but really, it still does it! It's nice to see I'm not the only one :cheese:

Magrat
September 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm a natural red-head (though it might be considered light auburn nowadays, I think it's paled a little over the years), but I do the occasional henna-treatment.
Don't want the grey to take over just yet.:p

Yeesha
September 28th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Natural: blonde with a little bit of red...

Now: A bit of old henna and some chemical dye over it, that's going to wash out.
I'm trying to go back to blonde, but I nearly can't resist the urge to color red... I love the typical henna-red. But I even love my natural color... ^^

marzipanfuntime
October 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Naturally strawberry blond with platinum highlights, henna glossed to orangy perfection!

RedHeadDancer
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Blonde as a toddler, then on to medium brown/reddish highlights with the passing years. Now, however, I am a redhead thanks to henna. I LOVE it. :eyebrows:

Roscata
January 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Henna all the way. :)

craftybunn
January 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Henna!!! I'm a redheaded convert.

stefafra
January 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Light brown with red undertones, helped a lot with henna.

carabean
January 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Natural redhead with the freckles to prove it.....:)

Mountaingrrl
January 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I was redheaded as a child and became more reddish-brown as an adult. I'm coloring to my natural color now to cover the uneven greys.

pennyroyal
January 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
My hair was becoming a bit red on its own recently (i have medium brown hair & it had started to get red highlights on its own) but i have started using henna to become a lot more red.

MaKenna90
January 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
My hair is naturally red, but gets kind of brownish in the winter (not entirely brown, just duller auburn i guess). I used to really hate the color, now I'm learning to like it.

Coan-Teen
January 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'm naturally strawberry blonde, so I chose natural redhead.

leoninnu
January 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Naturally red though I intend to try henna, just to get a bit more impact. And I can get out the uncomfortable "whoa, really?? you were born that way? Is all your hair red??" conversations that follow if I can just say it's dyed. No one's interested after that :P

Heartwillfollow
January 25th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Natural red head, enhanced with henna for the getting older stage in life..

Marjolein
January 26th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm a natural blonde, but with lots of red hairs in there as well. Now, I'm all red thanks to henna :)

Illta2u
January 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Natural dirty strawberry blonde but I have my best friend/hair stylist highlight the top of my head to make it blonder while completely dying the underneath different shades of reds (one time itll be a purple red, the next itll be an auburn red....then a blood red). Been thinking of putting chunks of red on top....not sure if I want to commit to that though

Veer666
January 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM
My natural colour is dark blond to light brown with red tones

Ofcourse I am a henna-head :)

Minlet
January 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM
My natural hair color is a rusty light brown/dark blonde. There's bright red on both sides of the family, but I got the washed out version, so to do my freckles justice, I henna.

I used to attempt to make my hair colors other than red, but anything lighter than jet black would go red on me, so I figured it was fated.

faeriewings
February 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM
I chose "dye... (henna)" but I was a red-headed baby! It's still got a bit, and my mom's got bright red (fading now) tresses, so I get the "natural redhead" coloring from her. Ever since I started hennaing her best friend from highschool says I look just like her from 1968...

MonaMayfair
February 2nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Born with red hair, that turned blonde within a few weeks. So now I've used henna for several years (after growing up being envious of all the redheads!)

irishlady
February 2nd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Ok so my hair is not exactly red, I just have natural auburn tints.
My mother is a natural red head though, as are many on her side of the family, so it is in my genetics ;)

I couldn't resist joining in, I love red hair!

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm a natural redhead, comes from both Grammas...and my Scottish heritage. However:(the older I get, the more the red fades. I always wanted orangey red hair. But, since sulfur is responsible for the red color, I must be getting more and more sulfur deficient or something. My gramma is 82 and still chemically dyes her hair red LOL I refuse to damage my hair by dyeing it so I just take what I get.:rolleyes:

MAO
February 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Naturally VERY ashy medium brown, growing out henna ATM. Spent the last 13-15 years dyeing it red with box color.

Mesmerise
February 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
My natural colour is a medium brownish sort (I think lol been a long time since I had no added colour to it!) right now it's also got quite a compliment of greys/silvers... My hair did sort of have a reddish undertone (which especially came out if I ever tried to lighten it using Sun in!) and looked reddish in the sun... but not strongly red.

However, I have the complexion for red hair :p When it's red people think it's natural cause I've got the freckles for it!! I was told as a child that my freckles would fade as I got older (at least that's what my dad claimed, as he had freckles as a child) but at 37 I'm as frecklier as ever! So, red works well with me ;)

In my hair currently is both chemical dyes and henna... gradually I expect the chemical dye to grow out completely and I will be a henna head, at least for a few years until I decide it's time to embrace the greys (probably when there are so many of them that regrowth looks ridiculous).

morecowbell
February 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Happy henna head! :D My natural color is a light ashy brown with ginger and gold highlights, and after trying to grow it out, I realized how important the ritual of henna feels to me. Henna is one of those things that just feels right to me, and I'm glad I finally realized that. :)

darklion
February 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM
natural redhead here.

akuamoonmaui
February 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
When I was younger my hair was a strawberry blond-ginger combo. Over time, it has become more brown-ish, not quite auburn. I enhance with henna-indigo (15&#37;) to get a reddish-chestnut.

TheMechaGinger
February 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm a natural redhead, but my hair has never been as vibrant as I wanted it to be so I do a henna/cassia mix about once a month on it. I'm actually doing one today in a few hours c:

tinti
February 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm a natural redhead, but I also dyed it red in May, so it's a mix of both :)

maddog_running
February 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Henna!
Virgin hair was an dark ash blonde, so henna gets me a nice coppery colour once the brightness fades :( I'd love for it to stay as vibrantly orange as immediately after the application process. It fits with my skin tone as I'm nicely pale and I've gotten lots of compliments so far (I'm known for my bingo stamper- manic panic temporary colours but this I hope to grow out nice and long in the copper colour)

SprngGrnGoddess
February 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Dark Golden blonde naturally with fine ash all the way to wiry red strands, and henna over natural roots and highlighted ends. :D

metricfuture
March 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Natural redhead, but I have used henna in the past out of curiosity. People hardly even noticed, they just thought my hair was looking extra shiny all the sudden.

Kome
March 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm kinda a half and half. I henna, but I keep the front part of my hair bleached so I can put BRIGHT red over it. :)

Finnenna
March 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have medium brown hair that can go that horrible dull mousy. So I henna to an auburn or lighter shade of red.

kaned_ferret
March 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
natural redhead, chemically changed to every colour under the sun for years, chemically enhanced red for the past year, and now changed over to henna for my additional red-love to keep my scalp and hair happy :) But I could only tick one, so I went for the current natural redhead with henna enhancement even though there is still chemicals under there too :)

Mirsha
March 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
My red is natural....err at least the plant it came from is natural! (henna)

This is my excuse whenever someone asks if it's natural!

It took me some time to really accept the fact that red doesn't suit me, but I'm reluctant to let it grow out with a demarcation line and apply weak glosses on the roots .. ~still gives me a colour difference but not many people notice. Ah well, the more you live the more you learn right? :D

ladylovecraft
March 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I use a blend of henna and a natural vegetable-based red dye to achieve my glowing red mane. So I guess I could say naturally dyed but it's not JUST henna...?

dmitri
March 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
All natural/born with it. I think the source is hidden away somewhere on my father's side.

cupcakekiller
March 30th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Natural blonde, but i dye my hair with Directions / Crazy colour / Stargazer hair colour. Its a PITA to keep up with though esp with the mousey blonde regrowth.

Trying to lighten it up but i feel like i have way too much hair to do this at home, must visit a hairdresser and ask for help!

kitcatsmeow
September 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
natural strawberry blonde although sadly, it darkened over the years. After bleaching for years i am not trying to find my reds again with the help of chemicals and a very talented colorist :)

Ambystoma
September 25th, 2012, 01:31 AM

I sure do! I've been contemplating using a golden orange fudge or manic panic to tone my winter roots until they get some sun on them, but I'm not sure if the dye deposit on the cuticle will act as a sunscreen, since if it does then I'll just have to be patient and take a book outside every now and then instead :o.

I voted cheese since the auburn with deep copper highlights are natural but need sunbleaching to show up.

auburntressed
September 25th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Natural redhead who enhances with henna, here.

My natural color is dark auburn that is heavy on the copper tones. (I think my color level is either a 4 or 5 on the darkness/lightness scale)?

Recently, I have found some baby pictures of me between the ages of 0 and 3'ish or so that show my hair as BRIGHT FIRE RED in the sunlight. I was a little shocked by it. :) I hadn't known my hair had ever been that bright or that pale, especially since my hospital-just-after-birth photo shows me with coal black hair.

Henna kills the copper and leaves me with a ruby tone. I don't know which I like better, but henna is also manna to my scalp. So it wins.

RubyTuesday
September 25th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I was born very blonde but gradually turned red and was a golden colour by the time I was a toddler.

I have always been a golden red rather than a bright ginger. In my twenties I decided to go blonde and was blonde for about 17 years after that with very brief periods of red in between. Now I am embracing my natural colour again, but I am no longer the golden colour I once was. My hair has darkened and now I am a reddy brown. It feels rather dark for me and so I will have to spice it up with henna or something else. I have not used henna since I was 16 so it will be interesting.

Angelistarr
September 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I live red but sadly, only natural red in my hair are it's tones. Dark brunette here

Ebrox
September 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
hennahead!

Vanille_
September 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Manic Panic Vampire Red

Amber_Maiden
September 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I have auburn hair and I enhance it with henna.

GingerBee
September 28th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Natural Ginger ;-) From my russian Grandpa...

maborosi
September 28th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have blonde hair but use henna to color it.

~maborosi~

zombi
September 30th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I originally voted "natural but enhance with chemical" but for a few years now it's been "natural but enhance with henna (and cassia)"

cobden 28
September 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Always wanted to be a redhead, but the colour doesn't go with my bark brown eyes/eyebrows/eyelashes. Natural hair coolur is mid-brown with natural golden-blonde highlights - in my wedding photo's in 1973, long before I started going grey.

Only tried going ginger the once, when I had ginger streaks put in in 1988 - grew the colour out when Mike said my hairstyle at the time (short and curly perm) made me look too much like my mother.

When I was at school I had one friend who had red hair the colour of a Red Setter dog, if you get what I mean, and another friend who was carrot-top ginger; how I envied those girls for their hair colouring!

sunshine-locks
October 2nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
I originally voted cheese but now I'm a henna head! Originally blonde :P

joflakes
October 4th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Directions over here, although it has been so long that I have no idea which colour I chose! I think it was Rubine. Still washing it out about 5 weeks later!

Ayjay
October 4th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Natural blonde with dyed red underlayer. Now I'm a candy cane :)

AnnaJamila
October 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Dark brown with very very faint red that comes out in sunlight.

Karo
October 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Happy henna-head! and my natural color is a mid-light brown.

Bedhead
October 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM
All natural - Name a colour of red hair and at least a few of my hair's are going to be that colour, it seems to cover the entire spectrum. I call it auburn though. :)

browneyedsusan
October 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM
It came from God for a while; I grew strawberry hair until my 20's. Now, I henna or it would be ash brown and gray.

Diamond.Eyes
October 13th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Natural redhead thanks to my Norwegian father and Welsh/Irish mother. :)

Beckstar
October 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Henna Hut. :)

BabyFirefly
October 18th, 2012, 12:18 AM
My hair used to be brown with a few golden bits, now it's hennaed and a lovely reddish color that sparkles in the sun! Yes, I am deeply in love.

SnowWhite
October 18th, 2012, 12:52 AM
My hair was virgin dark brown, now it's auburn-ish because of henna :)

RiotPrrl
October 18th, 2012, 03:45 AM
My hair is naturally light brown, but according to my mom it was slightly coppery when I was younger. I use henna.

RedBlue
October 19th, 2012, 07:27 AM
My red comes from a box/tube...:o My natural color is a dark brown.

Altariel
October 23rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
my red comes from henna :)
but I dyed my hair for about 8 months :( (why I ask to my self whyyyyy???)
Red goes well with my face and skin colour because the dad of my grandmother was a redhead and even if I don't have red hair I have freckles and tons of moles and light skin :)

Neneka
October 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I use henna. I used veggie dyes for some time because I had tried henna before and I didn't like the results. Then I tried henna again and now I am happy with it.

diddoh
January 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
My hair is a really dark brown (almost black) so to get the light red I want I have to use box/tube dye. Thankfully though I found one that doesn't require me to bleach first.

Achlys
January 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm a bit of a secret redhead. In most lights my hair is a caramel-like dark blonde. It can even be mousy. But in cloudy weather or some kinds of dim light, it can look legit ginger. Different enough from my usual colour for others to assume I have dyed my hair. I've been planning to henna, but I might be falling in love a little with this quality of my hair. I will now wait at least until I capture it on a photo.

alexandros22
January 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM
From my mother:D

ysabet
February 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I'm a coppertop, although it seems to be darkening (or perhaps, just losing the sunfading) since I've moved to London from Australia.

Latte Lady
February 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Luckily I was born with it! I will be enhancing it with henna when I notice that grey might be setting in. Scared of it though as I would want around my natural hair color as the end result.

Flournoy
August 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I am a ginger who has to avoid the sun, well for the most part.

DancingGirl
August 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Henna. My natural color is dark ash blonde/light brown. :rolleyes:

Macaroni
August 7th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Natural redhead here (thanks Mom!) enhanced with chemical color.