PDA

View Full Version : Does having products on the scalp...

BetterInBlue
January 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
slow hair growth? This is just one of my odd thoughts today. I massage a dab of an oil moisturizer on my scalp every other day (and leave it on). But I'm wondering if there is any way this can inhibit hair growth, clog the hair follicles? I have VERY dry skin, and went through a period of time when I had patches of scaly dry skin on my scalp. I swear my hair grew slower at this time. The only thing that has helped is an oil moisturizer product (BB Castor Oil Moisturizer - or something like that). I use it every other day, applying it as part of my scalp massage regimin. It has completely gotten rid of my patches, and helped immensely with my dry scalp problem. But I'm wondering if having an oil product on my scalp so much is a bad idea? I'm probably just being silly as having lotions on the body certainly doesn't stop body hair from growing, or slow down growth.

Kerynna
January 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know but I've been using emu oil on my scalp and face as a moisturizer as it supposedly penetrates better than other oils and actually clears the pores and opens up the hair follicle. More info here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-79415.html The bad part is it smells and feels sort of like earwax. :p I've found that mixing it with my face moisturizer gives my skin a dewy glow and deeper softness and moisturizing than I've ever noticed before. I just put a tiny bit on my fingertips and massage my scalp with it the night before a wash day.

spidermom
January 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have heard that products on the scalp can clog pores and inhibit hair growth or cause increased shedding. I make it a point to keep even conditioner off my scalp. But I've never had a problem with dryness, either.

jojo
January 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I too have heard that products on the scalp can block pores and inhibit growth but my way of thinking is if you rinse off properly then there shouldn't be a problem.

SimplyLonghair
January 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Skin is skin even on the scalp. If you use oil on your face, it removes dirt and oil that do block pores. The oil inhibits blackheads and such that cause problems. Dry skin would inhibit hair growth more than oily skin would. It tends to squeeze the hair folicle until it strangles the folicle. Causing it to loose blood supply and oxygen and thereby cause hair loss or loss of growth at least. Oil generally doesn't cause hair loss unless it it too thick. And the hair isn't allowed to breath.:cool:

RedButterfly
January 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I remember Jennifer Bahney from Longhairlovers who is also a trichologist, saying that hair follicles cannot be clogged. This was years ago so I don't remember her exact answer. However, she indicated that hair product build-up on scalps would not inhibit hair growth.

Sissy
January 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Skin is skin even on the scalp. If you use oil on your face, it removes dirt and oil that do block pores. The oil inhibits blackheads and such that cause problems. Dry skin would inhibit hair growth more than oily skin would. It tends to squeeze the hair folicle until it strangles the folicle. Causing it to loose blood supply and oxygen and thereby cause hair loss or loss of growth at least. Oil generally doesn't cause hair loss unless it it too thick. And the hair isn't allowed to breath.:cool:

I would tend to agree with this statement, though I don't have any professional knowledge on this subject. I certainly hope oil or product on scalp doesn't inhibit growth as I have been doing frequent heavy oilings and using lots of conditioner on my whole head, including scalp.

SimplyLonghair
January 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
My mom was a hairdresser and I still have her books on the subject, but mostly this is from info that I learned studying hair for my own knowledge. Many hairloss studies have spoken about strangled hair follicles. Just like the skin on your face gets too tight if you let it get too dry.:rolleyes: