PDA

View Full Version : Graduating up from just Ficcare...what else should I try?

Katze
January 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
hello fellow hair nerds,

Lately I have been realizing that I rely much too heavily on my Ficcares! I would like to branch out and graduate to 'real' LHC hair accessories and hairdos. :D I love my Ficcares - they hold like a rock, and look better than a claw clip, but I am getting bored with them. I'd like to find something else as easy as the Ficcare.

In addition to my 5 or 6 Ficcares, I have a Keytlo hairstick (a twisted one in red, which I rarely wear), some chopsticks (again, very rare that I use these), two Flexi-8s (which I am a bit scared to use, as I sort of 'broke' the small one trying to do a halfup with it), elastics of all kinds, mini claw clips, and bobby pins. Do I need other accessories? Would something else work better? What else can I do with what I have?

I am curious about forks, but not sure if they will stay in my hair. A 'one stop' thing like a Ficcare is better than fussing with tons of bobby pins or clips, especially when our baby is coming in a couple of months and I know I won't have lots of LHC time. I hope to be able to master some more styles or maybe even invest in some different accessories but would like advice from those who have 'been there.'
Here's the problem.

1) My hair is very unruly (frizzy, messy, many lengths) and has severe taper (see pics in album). Hairdos that require me securing just the ends (most buns, many braided updos) tend to be low on my list, since they seem to damage (bend, kink) my ends if they are secure, and fall out most of the time anyway. The same goes for tucked ends on French braids - a recipe for tangles and damage.

2) I am 'just' at BSL so things like buns don't look so good with my thin ends - my much-thicker crown hair tends to poof out and overwhelm the look of loose updos. Also, buns really age me and make me look/feel dumpier than I am.

3)Neater or tighter updos are hard to do unless I brush and oil my hair into submission (on dirty days). I'm slowly learning how to better work with my hair in a 'dirty' state.

If I wear my hair up, it tends to mostly be either 'thrown up' into a messy twisted thing held with a Ficcare, or occasionally- for the times I can get my hair smooth AND have time to spend on it - a braided updo of some kind. I'm pretty good at braiding when I have the time to do it, but not so good at other updos. I've never gotten buns to work in a way that I would wear them out of the house (see above).

My hair is getting so much thicker and longer that I really have to find different things to do with it when I don't want to wear it down - I am really beginning to feel like a 'real' longhair!

What else could I do with my thin, messy, hair besides 'twist and clip', 'braid and pin up', or braid (two braids, French braid)?

Right now my 'dirty' (day 5 after washing) hair has been oiled, and brushed as straight as possible back (still with lots of wisps sticking out) and is in a ponytail at the middle of my head (not high, not low). But I can still lean on the ends here in my chair, and this style is not very protective.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have! 'Dos or accessories...?

Hypnotica
January 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I really like hairforks with 4 prongs. With them, I can do loose but yet very secure updos.

Even though you don't like buns, a very loose natilus bun *may* work for you without making you look frumpy.

Regarding french twists - you could try my french twist w/ bun. That updo doesn't require you to bend your ends if you don't want to. Let me know if you want the link to the video.

Samikha
January 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I would suggest a fork as well. I find that forks are fair more secure than hair sticks - it's hard not to make them too tight, but I'm sure it's a matter of practice. I haven't used the two I have too much yet because hair sticks fit easier in coat pockets:o

AngelInDisguise
January 9th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Katze, I would also suggest forks in a french-twist-lookalike.

I cannot handle sticks, as they simply do slip out of any hairdo I have tried.

With the forks I now have I am really satisfied. They are nearly as reliable as my Ficcares.

I have the three pronged Savanna of 60th street in the shortest length.

What seams to be essantial for a good hold is that you choose more then two prongs. Someone also told me that the prongs should not be too thick or the fork my not hold well also.

Nightshade
January 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I would really suggest an Etta Mae fork. They were specifically designed to hold fine, slippery hair, which pookatrina has, and they hold better than any other fork I've tried, up to and including: Quattro, Baerris (sp?), 60th St and Monk the Monk. Don't get me wrong, the other forks were beautiful and sleek and held, and maybe it's the henna slip in my hair, but the Etta Mae ones HOLD on me.

I think it's the prong design, where they fatten a bit towards the tips, that keeps them from backing out like my other forks do:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1288&pictureid=27732

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1288&pictureid=27731

I also think it gives the fork a unique shape :)

Bene
January 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
i say give forks a shot. once you get the hang of it, they hold up remarkably well.

i find baerreis and 60th street forks to be a smoother than etta maes. i have medium/coarse, frizzy, somewhat layered hair, so i need the smooth stuff. i like the look of etta maes, but they tend to snag in my hair :( i ended up finding them new homes via the swap board.

Nightshade
January 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
i say give forks a shot. once you get the hang of it, they hold up remarkably well.

i find baerreis and 60th street forks to be a smoother than etta maes. i have medium/coarse, frizzy, somewhat layered hair, so i need the smooth stuff. i like the look of etta maes, but they tend to snag in my hair :( i ended up finding them new homes via the swap board.

Etta Mae retooled their sanding processes after the last great rant on them here on the boards. They're not glass smooth, but they are snag-free and have a natural stain finish :) All the recent forks I've gotten from her haven't required extra sanding.

spidermom
January 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
You need to find a bun you are actually willing to learn and wear before I can give you advice about securing it.

LeaM07
January 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Elainehali posted about a braided non-bun updo a while back that was really neat (article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=93)). You start with a ponytail, braid it, floof out the braid a bit, and pin. It's still a "braid it and pin it up" style, but the overall effect is different than most, and it looks like it would work well as a messy updo that's supposed to be messy.

LeaM07
January 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Also, have you experimented much with leaving the ends sticking out of your buns? Make some sort of knotted bun (so it's less likely to fall out), cinch it with a stick or a fork, and let the ends hang loose for a more casual effect (could also rag curl for a bit of wave)?

You could do the same thing with a French Twist... make the twist the usual way, but instead of tucking the ends in the pocket, secure it at the top of the twist with a clip and let the ends fall loosely around the twist.

Bene
January 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Etta Mae retooled their sanding processes after the last great rant on them here on the boards. They're not glass smooth, but they are snag-free and have a natural stain finish :) All the recent forks I've gotten from her haven't required extra sanding.

yeah, i got some after that, but my hair still doesn't play nice with them :(

Chromis
January 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I would try a wooden fork. My metal ones are much more fussy to put in. A suggestion for a nonbun updo might be the Ficcare braid. I use a metal slide to secure mine and find that works even better than the Ficcares. Then your hair is braided and firmly welded in place, much harder to slip out of!

You might also try a sock bun for something different.

Melisande
January 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
First of all, I'm really happy to hear that you feel a difference in your hair! That's wonderful, and I appreciate the patience and hard work you put into your hair. it really pays off.

I have the bun-frump-Hausfrau problem, too. I feel matronly with a bun, but I'm older than you are so I feel entitled to it ;-)

I feel that a flipped bun makes me look better. It gives a unique sweep at the back of the head and flatters my head shape. I hold it with a Ficcare or scroos. Scroos are a great tool for all kind of updos, they hold very well and don't move at all.

I second the Etta Mae fork suggestion. I'm wearing one of her forks right now. Her natural colors suit your style and hair color. The shape makes them indeed hold like a rock. I like the two forks I have and will order more in the future.

A loose cinnabun with an Etta Mae looks simple but special.

What about a scarf bun? It adds volume and can look very nice. I do mine with regular pins in order to preserve the scarf.

I seem to remember that two French braids looked lovely on you. But I like the wispy look that you say you get so easily.

Gibson tuck? Or simply a flipped ponytail? I did both when my hair was about bsl and liked them. the Gibson tuck holds better for me when I use a hair colored scrunchie to hold the tail, and squeeze it into the pocket, too. For whatever reason...

I often do a side braid at home and at night. It protects my ends, and i switch sides so the stress points for my hair vary. A younger woman might look cute with a side braid outside her own bedroom, too ;-)

Curlsgirl
January 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Have you ever used Amish pins? I didn't see on this thread where anyone mentioned them. They hold MUCH better and are way more comfortable than regular bobby pins or plastic good hair days pins.

Also I used to like forks better than sticks too until I got used to how to use them. Now sticks are more comfortable. I think getting the hang of them and getting the right one makes a big difference. I had a ketylo when my hair was shorter and I was less experienced with hairtoys and updos and I sold it because I couldn't make it work. Now that I am better at using all of those sticks and forks I got some more and LOVE them.

Deborah
January 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
You might like a flip bun. It's easy and your ends are trapped, but not wrapped inside. I think it's quite pretty, and the back of your head below the bun looks a lot like the bottom of a french twist, an elegant look. I also mention this particular bun because I could actually do it after seeing a video or two on how it is done. Most of the buns around here are just too complicated or something, but I just cannot catch on to how to do them. This is an exception. I bet you could master this one.

As to new toys. I love my new Quattro U-shaped Starlite forks. They are the only forks I can use that don't hurt my head. I have an Etta Mae, but I have never used it. It just hurts my head. Same with the 60th Street one I have. It is prettier and nicer than the Etta Mae, but it hurts too. These Starlites were my last shot at forks. I figured if they didn't work, I would just give up on forks. But they go in easily, hold well, and don't hurt. Yay!

Whatever you decide, I hope you find something that makes you really happy. :flower:

Cinnamon Hair
January 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
You said that have success with Ficcares, but what type of Ficcares do you have? I would suggest trying some of the different styles, other than the maximas. I do use my maximas clips the most of any Ficcare, but the other types are nice for different look. There's the super clip (hybrid of the maximas and beak) , innovation (beak style), and millenium ("S" shape).

Also, you might have better luck using your Ketylo stick if you make a bun then insert the stick BEHIND the bun, next to your scalp, then twist a ponytail holder and stretch it over the stick. That will hold your bun loosely between the stick and ponytail holder, acting like a hairslide.

manderly
January 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Why not give your sticks some more play?

Have you tried my Gibson Twist (in my siggy). That is very kind to ends, yet it protects them.

I think it looks sophisticated but romantic at the same time. You can use 1 stick to secure it, and decorate with a second if you like.

Katze
January 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks everyone! More stuff to try, perhaps even with the sticks I do have. French twists are good for me, though my hair is getting too long to do them the way I have always done them. I guess this is all good news - my hair is so long and thick that I am having to rethink how I wear it! :D

U-shaped pins didn't work for me; I just found some (BaByLiss brand) that I thought I'd thrown away and tried them again, but they just fall out of my hair.

I do have beak-shaped and the buckle-shaped (parallel, can't think how to describe this) Ficcares. I like them, but just feel bored with the "same old" (hair twisted up and clipped) several days a week.

A hair fork would be nice...good to get some brand name recommendations, too. Are they hard to learn? With a stick, I stick it in, twist until it's snug, pull it out a bit, then re-weave it through my hair. No idea if this is "right" or wrong - it's what I did long before LHC, and it works for non-mobile activities (but not so well if I am wearing a hood or hat!)

What would be really great is to somehow get my hair to go up and stay up and look good, so that I could get used to wearing it up more often as the length is now demanding (it gets in the way!). But, step by step, I am getting there!

thanks everyone for your patient advice for my difficult hair! :flower:

katze

Peggy E.
January 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Katze, if I were you, I'd be thinking about accessories that would allow me to do my hair quickly, get it safely out of the way in a manner that will stay and you won't have to worry about it.

As of the end of March you are going to find you might not have as much time to play with your hair - and when you do, you'll be wanting to take advantage of the opportunity to sleep!

Also, the hormonal haywiring may well cause quite a bit of shed, so be prepared and don't worry about it - it's unfortunate, but kitty will make it all worth while! You may have a little loss, or a lot, as every woman is different and even every pregnancy and readjustment is different. Mother Nature has a wicked sense of humor!

Well, so much for all MY help....

rags
January 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Katze, I like to use forks and sticks more than anything. (oh, and flexi-8's, I love flexi-8's!). I like a french twist with a good three prong fork in it - even with my fine slippery hair, that will hold for hours and hours. Or a messy updo with just one stick - that doesn't hold quite as well, but is really easy to redo!

I am a housewife, and these are quick and easy and keep my hair out of the way while I am cooking, cleaning, etc. I also like a plain old pony at the nape of the neck with my flexi -8. That's great and so easy and all day hold.

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy! Enjoy!

Katze
January 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
PeggyE, that's exactly what I am thinking. Get my hair up and out of the way and looking OK even on days when I don't have time to wash it (or don't care).

Rags, I am afraid of my Flexi-8s still. The little one falls out SO easily, and neither seems to hold my hair very well. But I will keep trying. I don't have any forks, would have to order them online without trying them, but I might just do this. :)

Today I tried a French braid starting very high on my head (at my hairline, so my bangs are contained), braided Dutch style (braid on outside) down to almost the end, then folded it over and clipped it with my 'buckle' Ficcare (I forget the name of these, it is the one that does not come to a point). Despite a hat and hood on for the bike ride here, it has stayed and looks OK - the messiness seems deliberate.

Oh, and BF walked around to the back of me before leaving home, looking critically at my hair. When I asked 'is it OK to leave the house like this?' (I had done the braid without a mirror, over breakfast) he said, 'Oh yes, I just wanted to see what new chic hairdo you have achieved!' :D

I am hoping this 'do stays all day!