PDA

View Full Version : washing up liquid as a clarifying shampoo???

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I was chatting to a friend of mine who has lovely curly hair, we got onto the subject of clarifying our hair, i mentioned i liked Giavani's 50:50 clarifying shampoo. My friend says this is a waste of money ( i like it so im sticking to it!) and says she washes her hair with washing up liquid, once a month as a clarifying treatment.

Surely this would strip the hair and cause damage?

Her hair does look shinny, i have to admit but id be wary of trying this myself.

what do you all think?

MusingFrog
March 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Are you referring to liquid soap for cleaning dishes and such or for hand washing? If so, I can see that working. I think most of the time the thing is to remember in what concentration the soap/detergent should be used. You wouldn't want to use it full strength, but I don't see anything wrong with strongly diluted.

There are a lot of shampoos that have ingredients that you would find in toilet bowl cleaner, dishwashing soap, etc. Those shampoos shouldn't automatically be shied away from because of those ingredients. It is a pretty good bet they are in very different concentrations than what you would find for other uses.

embee
March 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I used dishwashing liquid, highly diluted, for *years* while I was growing my hair, before I found LHC and WO. And I do mean highly diluted. Maybe 1 part detergent to 4 or 5 parts water?

Matter of fact, I dilute dishwashing liquid for the dishes as well... at least 2 parts water to 1 part detergent.

My hair is not the greatest, but it did grow from just below my ears to my tailbone, so it wasn't breaking off too much. ;)

Now if I need shampoo I use cheap stuff like.... um... gotta go look, haven't used it since last summer... Suave! And I dilute that at least 1 part shampoo to 2 parts water.

Works for me. :)

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
wow thanks thats really surprised me but then yes i suppose there are the same ingredients jut different proportions.......I am eating humble pie as i type!

prosperina
March 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Washing up soap/ Dish detergent, well... I guess the ingredients wouldn't be that different than cheap harsh shampoos, but still...:shudder: Not something I'd do. I'll stick with the Giovanni thank you very much.

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I once had to use dishwashing liquid to remove Vaseline from my hair (a Halloween look).

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
how was your hair afterwards? clarified or crunchified? i think i will stick with my Giavanni but i may get desperate one day

ktani
March 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I was thinking of switching the sensitive skin version of my washing up liquid for the liquid hand soap I use.

Until I read the label and checked out the ingredients online.

It isn't so much about the dryness caused by the detergents as the possible irritation factor of the detergents used - check out the label for warnings - the washing up liquids are more likely to cause itchy scalps and sensitivity for the sensitive skin people among us - even when diluted.