PDA

View Full Version : Two-toned hair?

neenerbabe
January 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Well I have a dilemma now. Since I found out I was sensitive to henna,

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17585

I have the option of

1. Chopping all the old henna off. (eeek!)
2. Dying it with regular hair dye (which I am also sensitive to)
3. Rocking it two-toned for a LOOOOOONG time.

My natural hair is sandy strawberry blonde, so it's merging into the burgundy henna red, lol. Looks....startling.

So I've decided to rock it, but it's not really ideal, especially with two inches of roots and a bellydance performance coming up. Anyone got any ideas for hairstyles that look good with that kind of root growth and things to make it look better? Anyone know anyone who purposely has the two-colored look?

manderly
January 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I read your OP in the other thread. Have you considered testing henna out with a shorter time on your head? You said the problem started after 3 hours.

If you hennad for like 1 hour, then you would have a color more close to your natural color and could perhaps avoid the reaction you had. Just a thought.

I would attempt to lighten the henna if I were you. Honey and hydrogen peroxide seem to be the most used. There is a thread (search lightening henna) that has all the info :)

You may be able to get it light enough that you won't have any noticeable line anymore.

Arctic_Mama
January 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Two-tone can frustrate us, and yet whenever I see someone with healthy duo-toned hair I always like the look, so I figure I'm just highly self critical and most people see it on others the same way I do :)

I agree that trying a henna conditioning mask or just a very short developing time (and maybe no terps, as you could be sensitive to agents *in* the mix, but not the henna, itself) will ease the transition and make it less blaringly different.

But you know, if you're comfortable working the strong two-toned look I think you'll be surprised how many compliments you get :)

GlassEyes
January 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
You might be able to try Elumen, I think. It's a deposit only dye that's supposed to be safer for the scalp, I think.

burns_erin
January 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Loreal color pulse mousse is very nice, easy to use, deposit only coloring. And it is cheap, but it does not have a ton of colors to choose from. And for a washout, it is remarkably not wash-out-able.

joyjoy
January 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
For performance purposes, I think you could get some fake hair in a color to match your roots, then clip or pin it in loose or maybe braids along with your darker hennaed hair. This would make an "I meant it" statement.

In my mind's eye, I see sandy strawberry clip-in bangs, your mostly hennaed hair pulled into high pigtail buns with some braids cascading from them, some of the braids henna red and some strawberry blond. Very tribal looking.

Or is you want something with more of a cabaret feel, skip the fake hair, and use a silk scarfy/ headdress covering the roots and hairline and part of the forehead, with coins or bells added as desired.

Anje
January 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
How do you do with non-PPD dyes like Manic Panic? I'm not sure how you'd mix them, but you might be able to get a better blend than without.

Ultimately, though, I think the best you're going to be able to do is fade the line between the henna and your natural color, and let it grow out. You might want to check out the threads on removing henna -- even if you can only lift it a little with honey and baby shampoo, you'll have a less-severe transition.

patissegrietje
January 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
i remember reading somewhere that it's possible to remove henna with alcohol and oil, not very hair friendly, but maybe as a last option if you really don't want two tones...

neenerbabe
January 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Well, I think I may try doing a half-up with some braids, and putting a pile 'o flowers in my hair for my performance, since it's tomorrow and a bit too late to dye. I haven't tried Manic panic but want to, they only have the knock off stuff here at Hot topic in the mall, lol. Thanks for everyone's advice, I like the idea of mixing fake hair in my virgin hair color with the henna, I may try that next time. You guys have been so helpful, thanks so much!

happymommy
January 9th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Maybe you could use a darker colored powder to help darken the roots temporarily. Kind of like a dry shampoo, but not really brushed out.

I know I read a thread somewhere on the recipes forum about a dry shampoo using cocoa powder.

Slightly blended roots with the bonus of yummy smelling hair!