PDA

View Full Version : Gunky, itchy scalp...help

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
My scalp gets this gunk on it if I don't wash it EVERYDAY! It also itches when it is like this. I figure it is dandruff of some sort. I use Pert which fixes the problem...for the day. Any sugesstions?

Anje
January 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Are you using the 2-in-1 Pert? I would ditch it if you are -- it's loaded with silicone compounds, and I don't know that it has much else in the way of conditioning agents, and the silicones could definitely lead to buildup, which might be what you're seeing.

That said, you might just be noticing sebum... If it's whitish, slightly oily, slightly powdery stuff that you can scratch from the scalp with a fingernail, it's probably just sebum and skin cells, both of which are supposed to be there. For some people, actually washing less cuts down on sebum production a bit, particularly if you react to harsh surfactants such as in many shampoos.

Other options are that it could be dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, which is a pain, but a lot of members have it and can give you advice on how to deal with it.

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah it is the 2 in 1. I will try going CO again for a while. I think it is sebum though and it is annoying because it seems like a lot. Thanks for you help though.

WritingMum
January 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It sounds like you're secreting a lot of oil. You might try some milder shampoo and conditioner-- such as really cheap white rain-- something without SLS in it. Search the archives for info on reducing the number of shampoo days or tips from the WO threads. You might find that treating your scalp more gently will give you the results you want.

Nightshade
January 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah it is the 2 in 1. I will try going CO again for a while. I think it is sebum though and it is annoying because it seems like a lot. Thanks for you help though.

Your hair and scalp may have a lot of silicone residue on it. I'd recommend clarifying before switching to another product.

beatrixn
January 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know if you want to try this, it's a little weird, but you could get some good natural shampoo, and add 2 crushed aspirin and a couple drops of tea tree oil. Mix the latter two w/ the amount of shampoo you normally use in wash, massage onto your scalp, and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Voila! Gunk free scalp - well, at least for me :) I read about it on here and it really works to get the sebum and flakes off.

suicides_eve
January 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
have you looked in to apple cider vinegar?? it's really helping getting my scalp back under control. I could take my nail and scratch my head and it would have this gross stuff on it. but i started researching acv and man i just gotta brag about it

baobhan sith
January 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
When i first started trying to spread my washes, i got this reeaally bad. i also got blocked pores because of it, and breakouts on my scalp. eww. The longer i left it, after the first major breakout, my scalp began clearing up from brushing and scritching (lots of it). But then my length would get too greasy even for a bun, and i'd wash. Then the whole charade would go again.

I'm now doing infrequent COing, (well, for me. once or twice a week max) and it's settled down loads. In fact, i don't get it at all anymore. When i changed i didn't clarify first, and it took me a very long time to transition, which looking back on it i think might have been a result of this. I'd even been using cones previously!

Anyway, that's my advice. Either use a more gentle shampoo, or go the whole way and try CO! Along with the massaging, scritching and preening.

Worked for me :)

Kirin
January 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Pert contains a LOT of silicones. Chances are you are sensitive to it, and not shampoos themselves. Try a clarifying or cone free shampoo to get rid of build up, then try from there. Silicones build up over time on the hair and scalp, and should be intermittently removed.

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks girls...I will drop the Pert and try a new routine though it may take a while to find one that works. I have tried vinegar and liked it so will give that a shot first. I've heard of asprin so may try that as well. Thanks again!:)

NebraskaChick84
January 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
sounds like buildup. I'd use a clarifying shampoo and ditch the pert! that did horrible things to my hair. horrible things.

Katze
January 9th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I agree that it's buildup, maybe 'cone buildup. Hope clarifying works for you!

Vinegar rinses or anything with honey (SMTs, scrubs with crystallized honey) have really helped my scalp. But if I used 'cones, I'd get that kind of gunk too, which is why I very rarely use them.

good luck!

Ms. Hollywood
January 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the advice...I've ditched the Pert and am COing for now w/o cones. I love using honey in my beauty treatments so I will do a SMT! :D

Katze
January 14th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the advice...I've ditched the Pert and am COing for now w/o cones. I love using honey in my beauty treatments so I will do a SMT! :D

Honey is antibacterial, and in my case seems to soothe and calm the itchies. When I first came here, and had a very crusty, itchy scalp, I did SMTs with every wash and was very pleased with the results.