PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil for hair growth?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Cleopatra18
July 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
CrisDee, your hair looks so much thicker and I can defently see growth..WOW.
I have been so lazy and haven't applied it in a while. It's so hot these days and I just hate putting oils or any sticky stuff in this weather..

Misti
July 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried to mix it with Rooibos tea? I mean, because people are using that as well.. I thought.. maybe you could dilute it with that? :P

I don't think you'd find it diluted all that well. To dilute, you'll want a lighter oil .. water (tea) will just give you layers. ;)

whitestiletto
July 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM
CrisDee, how often do you apply the oil? And do you dilute it, or just rub it in straight?

CrisDee
July 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I've been using the same mix I use to do the OCM on my face, 50/50 CO/EVOO, with about 5 drops each lavender and geranium EOs (cos they smell purty! :D). I had all these things in my stash already, so this was quite easy to begin. I've been doing it about every other day or every third day. When I'm at home, I put about a teaspoon of it in my palm, and add a drop of rosemary EO, then dip my fingers in and massage it onto my scalp, section by section.

I also thought it's felt thicker, thanks for confirming that, Cleopatra! Obviously the thickness can't be from new growth in just a couple weeks, but as I mentioned a few posts ago, my hair just looooves this stuff! I also "suffer from irregularity" many times when beginning a new routine, I often just can't seem to remember to do it. (That's why my adventure with Mane & Tail and MN went by the wayside). But between now nice this stuff smells and how much my hair loves it, those make it very easy to remember. I do know what you mean about the heat, though - if my hair hadn't finally gotten long enough to put up and get it off me, I'm not sure I'd be able to be so consistent...

Ligeia_13
July 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Also, how often do you use it? Every day? Every 3 days, every week, etc.?

Personally, I only do it once a week. Its quite a hassle in this heat. Which is probably why I haven't seen a major change in my hair.

ETA:

Is there a particular type of castor oil you use that adds darkness to hair? I would love the combo tinting/growth/moisturizing!! Its a win-win

I just use the only castor oil I can find around here :/ I'm not sure what it is, it comes in light blue packaging. Its definitely not a famous brand. I'll have a look when I get home and let you know.

CrisDee
July 19th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I guess this is another reason to be grateful for my job, cos I always wear my hair up in a wet cinnabun for work in this heat - which makes castor oil treatments a lot less of a hassle. If I don't quite get all the oil out, the bun just holds better. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so consistent with this if I were still in a 9-5 office job.

That being said, I'm sure that not all the growth is attributable to the castor oil treatments. I'd been in a bit of a stall, so I was due for some growth, and my hair grows better in the summer anyway. So we'll see how much extra net growth I get over the next few months - and we'll see if I'm able to be as consistent with the treatments in winter when I much prefer to wear my hair down more for warmth! :)

kitcatsmeow
July 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I've been using Pandoras Recipe (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html)

Actually a slight variation. I omit the EO except for Tea Tree and just used distilled water.
Spreads well and I can spray it right on my scalp and it's easier to monitor the amount.

CrisDee
July 19th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Kitcat, I mixed up a batch of that, but haven't used it much for two main reasons - first, the squirt bottle I used is crap, with every pump it leaks all over the place; and second, I am just not a fan of the tea tree oil scent. Maybe if I get a new squirt bottle and add a little more of the other EOs to drown out that strong tea tree oil scent, I'll like it a little more. Hmmm, that may be a good way to use it in winter! :)

McFearless
July 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM
It has really thickened up my hairline combined with massaging the scalp. I'm really happy about that. Sadly it doesn't do a thing about my eyebrows, and I don't need to use it on my lashes as they are already very long.

Dina L.
July 20th, 2011, 05:56 AM
In April and May I was very conscientious about putting on my EVVO-CO mix before each and every washing. But in June, oh in June I was lazy & busy & forgotten but I did pay for it: my hair started to shed like crazy causing more stress causing more shedding and so on and so forth.:steam
So at the end of June I decided to EVOO-CO again at least once a week (I wash my hair in every 3-5 days). Since then I had 4 masks. Right now I need to wash my hair and I just combed it -- and what I've noticed? Only a few (10-20) strands come out!

Sooo my conclusion I want to share: if you find something that works for your hair, stick to it! I thought I knew this but still my laziness and thoughtlessness made me stop doing something really good to my hair.

(And conclusion #2: there must be something wrong with me, maybe lack of vitamins or iron or anything else that causes this shedding...)

ElusiveMuse
July 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I shed like crazy, too. I'm sure it's a combination of stress, diet, hormones, and genes.

I just bought some castor oil and I plan to try some masks so I'll update on my progress. If it can slow my shedding, that would be fantastic.

WickedLady
July 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I am basically in love with the castor oil. I have been using it once a week since the beginning of March, I do an overnight deep soak on the scalp with a wash in the morning. I am proud to say that I haven't missed a week .
The results have been so amazing for my scalp. It clears away any dry skin or what have you , and it feels so clean and clear for days afterward. I have a giant crop of baby hairs, I'm a little overwhelmed with all of it to tell you the truth. The newer hair that has been treated with lots of castor oil is so amazingly soft and healthy.
I started it to fill in some areas that were looking a little bare after my post breastfeeding megashed.
I am just loving this stuff, it has done really nice things for my scalp and my hair.
Also I wanted to add that I feel that I have gotten lots of benefit from using it just once a week.
There are a few recent pics of my hair in my 'Hairdos' album under Solstice pictures .
:cheese:

I have tried doing it overnight. with my hair so thin though and easily falling out im afraid to leave it in overnight. Always wonder if when i toss and turn if it pulls on the hair or somethign. I sleep with a sleep cap but doesnt seem to be benefiting my hair much it is too loose on my head.

ElusiveMuse
July 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Well...castor oil is on my head. I mixed it with a blend I use (jojoba, evening primrose, apricot kernel, avocado oils) to cut the thickness a bit. I'm not going anywhere for a while so I'll leave it on a few hours. I wonder what makes it work?

erialc
July 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I used castor oil for the first time the other day and I LOVE it. I heated it up a little with some camellia oil and let it sit for an hour or so, and my hair is so so so soft and feels amazing. Next time I'll probably leave it on over night, so we'll see how that goes :)

teal
July 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I don't know whether soft water can change the ph of your hair, but I'd be afraid to count on it. If you don't want to use vinegar or conditioner, it might be a good idea to limit the bicarb.

Pure water has a pH of about 7, which is neutral. The scalp is naturally on the acidic side so it needs the extra boost in that direction from something like an ACV rinse.

The water here is exceptionally soft... <3ppm. I still have to use an ACV rinse after a BS wash or my hair is a tangled mess as well. :p I think as far as water hardness is concerned, I could probably get away with using a more dilute ACV mixture. Apparently the ACV is also helpful for counteracting the minerals in hard water.

ElusiveMuse
July 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
So I left the castor oil on my scalp all day and just washed it out. I shed as much as always (a whole lot :( ) but I'm not giving up just yet. Maybe it takes some repeated use to show any change?

Dina L.
July 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM
So I left the castor oil on my scalp all day and just washed it out. I shed as much as always (a whole lot :( ) but I'm not giving up just yet. Maybe it takes some repeated use to show any change?
I had to do some treatments to see the difference, I hope it's the same with you! *crossfingers*

WickedLady
July 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Im currently getting back in my castor oil track but with my regimine im wondering where i could fit in the acv rinse since i noticed a change in the thickness of my hair. any thoughts?

Aveyronnaise
July 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have tried doing it overnight. with my hair so thin though and easily falling out im afraid to leave it in overnight. Always wonder if when i toss and turn if it pulls on the hair or somethign. I sleep with a sleep cap but doesnt seem to be benefiting my hair much it is too loose on my head.

Hi, I took an old piece of jersey ( so I wouldn't have to seam - lazy) and cut it into the shape of one of those turbie things. I use it as a turban on deep soak nights , so I don't get the pillow greasy and it's cool because you can tie it tightly if you like .

CrisDee
July 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hi, I took an old piece of jersey ( so I wouldn't have to seam - lazy) and cut it into the shape of one of those turbie things. I use it as a turban on deep soak nights , so I don't get the pillow greasy and it's cool because you can tie it tightly if you like .

Someone on another thread suggested using sleeves cut off a t-shirt as a hair wrap, it'd probably work very nicely for this as well.

WickedLady
July 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM

that is not a bad idea. but doesnt the cloth soak up the oil and moisture?

kwaniesiam
July 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I gave up on the castor oil on my head at night because getting oil all over my pillowcase was getting gross and scarves/bonnets etc don't stay on my head. I am still using it on my eyelashes with decent results so far though.

Dina L.
July 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
I gave up on the castor oil on my head at night because getting oil all over my pillowcase was getting gross and scarves/bonnets etc don't stay on my head. I am still using it on my eyelashes with decent results so far though.
I reduced the oil mix to about 1+1 teaspoon and put a towel on my pillow and it just works fine, the pillow doesn't get oily at all. Maybe try this way. :)

woolyleprechaun
July 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
I wish I could try this!!! The smell or castor oil makes me soooooo ill. Im getting queasy just thinking about it....

erialc
July 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
My castor oil has no smell what so ever. :confused:

Audrey Horne
July 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
A bit off-topic.
Did anyone try this terribly expensive thing for growing lashes? 120€! It promises to reach your maximum growth in 16 weeks lol
So why I post... Actually about ingridients. Maybe we can see what and how. Is anything here but biotin stimulates growth?

Aqua , Caprylyl Glycol und
Phenoxyethanol , Hydrolyzed
Glycosaminoglycans , Triethanolamine ,
C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Acrylates /
C 10-30 Acrylate Crosspolymer ,
Panthenol, Sodium Lactate ( and)
Sodium PCA (and) Sorbitol ( and)
Proline , Sodium Chloride, Biotin,
Methylamido Dihydro Noralfaprostal,
Alcohol, Hyaluronic Acid , Sodium
Phosphate

Dina L.
July 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
A bit off-topic.
Did anyone try this terribly expensive thing for growing lashes? 120! It promises to reach your maximum growth in 16 weeks lol

How many ml do I get from this for 120-s? :rollin:

Audrey Horne
July 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
How many ml do I get from this for 120-s? :rollin:

Five! And you can see the first results in 6-8 weeks ;)

kwaniesiam
July 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I reduced the oil mix to about 1+1 teaspoon and put a towel on my pillow and it just works fine, the pillow doesn't get oily at all. Maybe try this way. :)

Tried it, unfortunately I'm a fairly violent sleeper and the towel ended up elsewhere by the end of the night.

I wish I could try this!!! The smell or castor oil makes me soooooo ill. Im getting queasy just thinking about it....

My castor oil has no smell what so ever. :confused:

Neither does mine, if it does my nose isn't sensitive enough to notice it.

Dina L.
July 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Five! And you can see the first results in 6-8 weeks ;)

I can mix a little panthenol and biotin in a loooot of water and I sell 5ml for 250. Anybody? :guns:

CrisDee
July 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Tried it, unfortunately I'm a fairly violent sleeper and the towel ended up elsewhere by the end of the night...

Did you try the t-shirt sleeve thing? I forget what thread it was on, but someone cut the sleeves off her husband's t-shirts and used them for a head covery-uppy-thingie (it has a name but I obviously can't remember it at present :D). Seems it fits snugly enough around the head to stay on without binding - I can't wait til my husband needs another shirt's sleeve cut off! :)

kwaniesiam
July 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
No I haven't tried that. I'll have to see if I have any shirts that I can sacrifice the sleeves of. I don't wear sleeveless things.

maborosi
July 23rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Oh my goodness, I tried Castor oil cut with olive oil, and I don't know if I didn't cut it enough, but my hair was a sticky mess when I tried to wash it out- I ended up using so much conditioner on my poor hair :(

I wish I could use this stuff, since it's good at retaining moisture, but alas, I guess my hair hates it.

~maborosi~

Audrey Horne
July 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Oh my goodness, I tried Castor oil cut with olive oil, and I don't know if I didn't cut it enough, but my hair was a sticky mess when I tried to wash it out- I ended up using so much conditioner on my poor hair :(

I wish I could use this stuff, since it's good at retaining moisture, but alas, I guess my hair hates it.

~maborosi~

So how much did you dilute it? I'd start from a little dose and work my way from there.

erialc
July 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm planning to henna my hair this week and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience in whether continuing with the castor oil will affect the henna colour?

McFearless
July 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm planning to henna my hair this week and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience in whether continuing with the castor oil will affect the henna colour?

It hasn't changed my colour. I don't think it can pull out henna. Not even bleach can do that!

CrisDee
July 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM

It hasn't changed my colour. I don't think it can pull out henna. Not even bleach can do that!

I'd asked that question a few pages ago. Coconut oil is known to fade henna, so the consensus was to wait about 4 days after henna to do a castor oil treatment. That's what I did, and I haven't had any fading. :)

erialc
July 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Alright, thank you both! :)

kdaniels8811
July 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I have megatek I watered down too much so I am mixing it half and half with castor oil for a scalp treatment. I will let you know if I see any increased growth. Right now, it is so easy to tell because it is all one length - a very short 5". Wish me luck! I am so eager to have my waist length hair again! Or at least long enough for hair toys....

CrisDee
July 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have megatek I watered down too much so I am mixing it half and half with castor oil for a scalp treatment. I will let you know if I see any increased growth. Right now, it is so easy to tell because it is all one length - a very short 5". Wish me luck! I am so eager to have my waist length hair again! Or at least long enough for hair toys....

Wow, you've gotten 5" already? :cheese: You're really on your way! :cheese: Here's hoping that by the time you reach waist length again, it'll be the healthiest hair (and the healthiest YOU) ever! :flower:

kdaniels8811
July 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words, ChrisDee! Grow FASTER, dammit!

By the way, the castor oil will definately have to be washed out, my roots are sticky. So - note to self - use before washing with my indian herbs, not as a daily. Sigh... I only wash once a week or so!

crysz
July 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Wow! I never knew castor oil could do that. Maybe I should try it out.

Jing
July 24th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I giggled when I finally googled castor oil to see what it was called in Swedish. I associate that stuff with the health care of old, something my grandmother might have forced on my mother when she was a child. It's on my to-buy list now, though. However, I'm still fighting with myself over it, because I only opened my bottle of jojoba oil today and I started using rooibos on my scalp daily not too long ago. This is hard! So many things I want to try, but I need to actually wait to see the results of the last thing I tried.

GreenEyedKat
July 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I associate that stuff with the health care of old, something my grandmother might have forced on my mother when she was a child.

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I first heard about it!! :D

Biedronka
July 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
After more than a month of neglecting my castor oil treatments,I did one again last night.Which reminded me of what made me neglect them in the first place:shedding.I only gently massage my scalp for a minute,just to get the oil everywhere,but still i end up with too many strands falling on the floor...dunno...but this morning after washing my hair feels so nice and soft and fluffy.I guess I'll start using it again,but only every other wash this time

krissykins
July 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Bah, I was going to do a treatment last night, but I got lazy. I enjoy stretching my washes to every two weeks, and faster hair growth is not going to change that. :lol:

How often do you guys apply castor oil? I used to do it twice a week, but now I do it whenever I can be bothered to wash my hair.

Cleopatra18
July 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I did my first treatment today after neglecting them for about 2-3 weeks now. Mainly because since I stopped my hair has been in a horrible condition, I don't know what happened. Shedding, breakage, dry, rough, tangly, you name it. Everything bad decided to happen at the same time and I clarified many times and my hair is not even responding to my staple products. I hate when my hair goes so crazy.

BohoClassic
July 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have used castor oil mixed with evoo in my henna gloss and it was fine. I found it easier to rinse out of my hair too! I usually leave it a few days after hennaing before i do any treatments etc. Then i regularly do castor oil treatments with no loss of colour.

BohoClassic
July 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Bah, I was going to do a treatment last night, but I got lazy. I enjoy stretching my washes to every two weeks, and faster hair growth is not going to change that. :lol:

How often do you guys apply castor oil? I used to do it twice a week, but now I do it whenever I can be bothered to wash my hair.

I apply castor oil/evoo with a tint brush,2-3 times a week. I get an inch growth each month,but i dont know how much it used to grow before using castor oil!.... lol. My hair loves it mixed with evoo, so am i going to carry on with it anyway :)

AnnaJamila
July 25th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I use the castor/evoo mix that I wash my face with to massage my scalp and on my eyelashes. Just started the routine so I can't exactly tell yet how it'll work, I feel "glowy" and moisturized now, though!

Dina L.
July 26th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I apply CO/EVOO mix about twice a week (at 4-5 days), but only before normal washing. Sometimes I leave out some.

LightSabr
July 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I've tried leaving castor oil in for longer than overnight and was unable to. It was just too greasy! I've been looking into dry shampoos. Do any of you think it's possible to use a dry shampoo after applying castor oil to make it look less greasy? Like, would the castor oil still work, or would the dry shampoo cancel it out?

Dina L.
July 29th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I've tried leaving castor oil in for longer than overnight and was unable to. It was just too greasy! I've been looking into dry shampoos. Do any of you think it's possible to use a dry shampoo after applying castor oil to make it look less greasy? Like, would the castor oil still work, or would the dry shampoo cancel it out?

I always look greasy with castor oil, it's a stay-home-program. :)

CrisDee
July 29th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I've tried leaving castor oil in for longer than overnight and was unable to. It was just too greasy! ...

Mine doesn't all come out with the first (CO) wash, so it's kind of like I leave it in longer than overnight - I just wear a wet cinnabun to work that day. Hides the greasies, plus it keeps me cooler at work during the wretched summer heat that I hate so much! :D

LightSabr
July 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I may have to try the wet bun method. I understand the need to stay at home with it in, but I have to go out a lot for work and for school. It is supposed to be more effective if left in longer so I'm a little sad about the only overnight thing.

Dina L.
July 30th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I may have to try the wet bun method. I understand the need to stay at home with it in, but I have to go out a lot for work and for school. It is supposed to be more effective if left in longer so I'm a little sad about the only overnight thing.
Leaving it on for "only" overnight made my shedding from washing to washing so little like I shed in a whole day before castor oiling. I hope it will help you at least as much as it helped me! :cool:

LightSabr
July 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
That's fantastic! I'm glad to see it's working so well for you. And thank you!

Scarlet_Heart
July 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I recently started trying the castor oil (cut with coconut oil) and I have way less sheds. I was shedding a LOT and getting pretty concerned about it and this is the only thing that has worked. It is difficult to get out and I had to use DH's shampoo to get it out. I don't want to have to do that every time. Increased growth speed is just kind of a side perk.

CrisDee
July 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
...It is difficult to get out and I had to use DH's shampoo to get it out. I don't want to have to do that every time...

Have you tried 'cone free CO to get it out? I hear tell that is the best way to remove it all, and when I am at home and can use all the product I need, that totally works for me. :flower:

Scarlet_Heart
July 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Have you tried 'cone free CO to get it out? I hear tell that is the best way to remove it all, and when I am at home and can use all the product I need, that totally works for me. :flower:

Hmm, :hmm: I used Suave Tropical Coconut (which I always use to CO) and it didn't quite do the job. Maybe I should have done it more than once? :confused:

krissykins
July 30th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Scarlet_Heart, there are several modifications to try when getting castor oil out with CO washing. Diluting (if you don't already do that :p), leaving it on longer, or doing two washes. I normally do two washes. :)

CrisDee
July 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hmm, :hmm: I used Suave Tropical Coconut (which I always use to CO) and it didn't quite do the job. Maybe I should have done it more than once? :confused:

Yeah, probly shoulda done it at least twice. Or some have said they massage a bunch of it in, put a shower cap on and leave it to set for about 20 minutes or so before rinsing.

My CO of choice has been Silkience lately; I "wash" once, rinse, then apply it again and put a shower cap on while I do the rest of my shower routine. I then rinse it out, and the castor oil/EVOO mix I use always comes completely out. :)

WickedLady
August 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I use a CV Bar and deep conditioner soemtimes on tuesday or wednesday, then i do my castor oil and EVOO treatment friday night and wash it out saturday morning with Aussie 2 in 1 Volume w/ 3 min miracle as a extra condition.. It seems to be working for my hair but if anyone has suggestions on products let me know.

archel
August 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM
I just started doing this with my blend I made from castor oil and grapeseed. (I added a few drops of lavender vanilla and a few drops of helichrysum). It feels great but I cannot leave it on longer than overnight, either.

I'll tell you what not to do - don't forget you have it on your scalp and then go brush your hair with a BBB - you will pull it through all your hair and have the greasiest lanky mess you ever saw, AND have to wash the ever living crap out of your brush as well as your hair!

I will say mine is washing out well with my low-poo Giovanni (either SAS or 50:50).

Dina L.
August 1st, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'll tell you what not to do - don't forget you have it on your scalp and then go brush your hair with a BBB - you will pull it through all your hair and have the greasiest lanky mess you ever saw, AND have to wash the ever living crap out of your brush as well as your hair!
:surprise: As a 2c/3a I don't even have any brushes, just 2 wide tooth combs and 1 normal one that I only use very rarely.

WickedLady
August 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
:surprise: As a 2c/3a I don't even have any brushes, just 2 wide tooth combs and 1 normal one that I only use very rarely.

you must have really thick hair

wishywashy
August 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have been using straight Castor oil on my eyebrows. I apply with a Q-tip just on my brows and on the new little hairs trying to grow in...slowly but surely my brows are getting thicker.

Anyone else try castor oil on eyebrows and get good results? After years of plucking my eyebrows too thin...I am really looking forward to my natural thick eyebrows growing back in :D

Java
August 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have been oiling for a couple months now, and I think my eyebrows took the longest to kick in. They were previously over plucked and bare in some places, but are filling back in nicely.
While the eyebrows are getting in thick hairs, the ones on my hairline are baby thin, and I am hoping that they thicken up soon. Anyone know of additions to the oil to make single hairs thicker?

happybear
August 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I have been using 50/50 castor/grapeseed oil on my scalp for about 2 months now, I put it on 2-3 nights a week, and leave it overnight. I usually CO it off, or use Henna Sooq's Soapnut shampoo bar to get it off

I have not been putting it on my whole scalp, just my old part line (because it is thinned out) and a thinned out spot on my hairline.

The results:

many many new baby hairs along my old part! They are all about 1" -1.5" in length. I see a crop of shorter ones coming up too. they are very fine, so they area is still a bit see-through when I lift my hair up, but not as bad as before.

The spot on my hairline has not faired as well, I see a few new hairs that are very fine, and a bit of peach fuzz. This spot was so bare from damage that it appeared to have no follicles left, so i wasn't even expecting what is growing there now. I don't expect it too fill in totally, but that would be awesome.

I recently added some of the essential oils from Jessie's hair oil recipe, but it is too early to tell if the concoction has encouraged anything new.

I plan on continuing the 2-3 day a week applications on my old part, and will start to do my whole scalp once a week, and see what happens.

MidnightStar
August 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm in! I got the Jamaican Black castor oil with ylang ylang - the reviews on amazon.com said it was pretty smelly, but I actually don't think it's all that bad. You guys are right, though - this stuff is THICK. I smeared it on my fingertips and just kinda worked it over my scalp. I did this three times and nothing feels too greasy or oily. Nonetheless, I'll be washing my hair this evening anyway, as my earlier co-wash didn't get all of last night's oil treatment out, so I guess I gotta pull out the shampoo. *Sigh* I'm starting to really hate shampoo.
Anyway, I feel like I've been stalled at this length FOREVER, but was pretty wary of trying Monistat, as I've heard it causes shed. I've also tried Mega-Tek without any luck. Hopefully this will work, I'm encouraged by the reports through this thread. Hey, even if it just makes my fine hair *look* thicker, I'll be happy at this point.
Is my scalp supposed to feel tingly? Is that okay? It's tingly and a little warm, but not hot or itchy - I'm guessing this is all right.
Grow, hair, grow!! :D

Seishin
August 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'm in too. Just received my order of organic castor oil. PLanning to use a 50:50 mix of castor oil to coconut oil. I've stretched my CO wash to every 5 days, to avoid my crazy shedding. Will have to wait till the end of the week to see how this works for me. I've been following this thread for a while now so I am hopefull it will help thicken up my wide parting and possibly decrease my shed rate.......

MidnightStar
August 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Okay, question. I used castor oil for the first time this evening, just about a teaspoon and a half directly onto my scalp, undiluted. Left it on for maybe a couple of hours and then washed my hair with Nature's Gate biotin shampoo.
And my head is itching like CRAZY!
It's possible this is a reaction to the shampoo; I think I've developed a sensitivity to SLS products (Nature's Gate says it's sulfate-free, but there's something in it that makes a huge lather). But I've used the shampoo before several times without this kind of issue. Has anyone else ever had a problem with castor oil like this? It's not burning or red or anything, just super itchy. Maybe I should dilute it with something? Could I possibly be allergic to it? I'm not allergic to anything except spinach, so that idea is really crazy to me. I used the Jamaican Black ylang ylang castor oil if that's at all helpful. Thanks!

archel
August 7th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm willing to bet it's the Nature's Gate shampoo. I haven't used it in a long time, but I remember it being *extremely* harsh and stripping the crap out of my hair and leaving it a dry, tangled mess. I'd find a gentler non-SLS shampoo - if you're into natural, you could try Giovanni. It gets out castor oil in my case very well.

You may want to dilute your castor oil. I diluted mine 50:50 with grapeseed oil so it's lighter and easier to spread and wash out. I did want to try the brand you got, so let us know if you get results from it!

MidnightStar
August 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Archel, thanks for your quick reply! I'm gonna toss the Nature's Gate, I haven't really been impressed with it since I bought it; up till now it just made my hair feel "squeaky" clean (the stripping you mentioned) and it also has been leaching indigo from my hair - another reason to give it up!
I was looking into Giovanni and am waiting on a John Masters Organics delivery (I read the ingredient list and everything SEEMS pretty natural, although mention of "sodium" a couple of times gave me pause). If that doesn't work, though, I'll try Giovanni, I've heard good things about it and if it's SLS-free that's all the better.
I'll give the castor oil a try again in a couple of days and keep everyone appraised of my progress!
(As an aside...I put a little Nightblooming's panacea (summer blend) on my scalp and it seems to be calming the itches, hooray!!)

archel
August 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
You're welcome! It sucks because I LOVE the way the Nature's Gate shampoo smells, but it just sucked the life out of my hair. I'm glad the panacea is helping the itchies!

CrisDee
August 8th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I know what you mean about using something because it smells heavenly - I get my smell-good fix with the EOs I put into my castor oil/EVOO mix, that's another thing that motivates me to use it regularly. :)

MidnightStar
August 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Okay, I tried the castor oil again tonight, this time diluted 50/50 with coconut oil. Rubbed it in, then left it on for about an hour. Washed out with my new John Masters Organics honey & hibiscus shampoo, then followed with conditioner and an ACV rinse.
Results: it's still wet, and there's still something irritating my scalp, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was last night. Hooray!!

CrisDee
August 8th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I did a castor oil treatment today, hadn't done one in about a week and a half, cos I'd just henna'd. Oooohhh, I love how my hair feels right after a treatment! :crush:

ange1ito
August 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I noticed less shedding since alternating my co and castor oil treatments too ;)

dmarie16
August 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Okay, question. I used castor oil for the first time this evening, just about a teaspoon and a half directly onto my scalp, undiluted. Left it on for maybe a couple of hours and then washed my hair with Nature's Gate biotin shampoo.
And my head is itching like CRAZY!
It's possible this is a reaction to the shampoo; I think I've developed a sensitivity to SLS products (Nature's Gate says it's sulfate-free, but there's something in it that makes a huge lather). But I've used the shampoo before several times without this kind of issue. Has anyone else ever had a problem with castor oil like this? It's not burning or red or anything, just super itchy. Maybe I should dilute it with something? Could I possibly be allergic to it? I'm not allergic to anything except spinach, so that idea is really crazy to me. I used the Jamaican Black ylang ylang castor oil if that's at all helpful. Thanks!

Maybe try plain castor oil. It maybe something to do with the EO ylang ylang that your scalp doesn't like if it still feels itchy after changing shampoos.

MidnightStar
August 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Maybe try plain castor oil. It maybe something to do with the EO ylang ylang that your scalp doesn't like if it still feels itchy after changing shampoos.

I wondered if it could possibly be the castor oil and EO. I had no itching at all today, so I'm going to try it one more time, probably tomorrow, and see how it goes.

callisa
August 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
castor oil is no match for my hair because it sucks it up in under 2hrs but its the only oil that moisturizes my hair the longest

MidnightStar
August 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Third try in progress. I was lazy, so didn't dilute the castor oil, and I'm going to wash it off in a few minutes. No itching at all, though, so I'm thinking it was probably because of the shampoo I used. Woo!

DarleneH
August 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Can you over use it and it cause problems? For example, I applied castor oil last night and I'm not going anywhere today so I'm not going to wash it out just yet. If I apply again before COing tomorrow, could that cause issues (clogged follicles or pores on scalp, etc.)? Or is it really doing no good since there's still some on my scalp, so an additional application would be just wasting it?

americanjan1
August 11th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I used 50/50 castor oil and argan oil on my roots only and only on the crown and top area of my head for about two hours. My hair is very dry today and I had to COwash twice (two separate times) to get it out. What gives? I did an SMT on Saturday, so I don't know what the problem is. My hair is also super-tangly today. Is it the castor oil? Do I need to clarify now?

WickedLady
August 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
How do you all apply your castor oil I'm curious?

MidnightStar
August 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM

I just use my fingers. Since it's so thick, I want to make sure I don't use too much, and I feel like I have more control that way rather than if I used a dropper or an applicator bottle.

Aveyronnaise
August 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Okay , I have been using this stuff a while and i think that i have a take on why some of you could be having a hard time getting it out and some weird results .
So I have been using it on an overnight basis since March , but I had a day where I had to go and get my son from daycamp so I had it on for for only 2-3 hours.
That time when I used it not a lot of it came out , and it looked weird . I don't really know how to explain it . but the other times i have used it , I have left it on a lot longer, it was easier to get out those times and had a better effect on my scalp. Also the times when I wash after a deep oiling I tend to keep my hair in braids for the day after, by braiding it when it is still pretty damp. I think it just needs time to soak in??

CrisDee
August 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
... My hair is also super-tangly today. Is it the castor oil? Do I need to clarify now?

Funny you should mention that, I've noticed that immediately after a CO treatment, my hair is also tangly (and my hair usually rarely tangles). I think it may be the drying properties of castor oil that cause this - anyone else have a theory?

I have a mix in a small bottle that I also use for OCM - 50/50 CO/EVOO, several drops geranium and lavendar EO (for perty smell!) and a few drops rosemary EO (also supposed to promote hair growth). I pour about a teaspoon of it into my palm; dip the fingers of my other hand into the oil mix, lean over so my head is upside down and rub the oil mix onto my scalp. The teaspoon usually covers half my head, then I just pour another teaspoon of the mix into the other palm and repeat on the other side.

WickedLady
August 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I just use my fingers. Since it's so thick, I want to make sure I don't use too much, and I feel like I have more control that way rather than if I used a dropper or an applicator bottle.

I use a 50/50 mix w/lavendar EO in one of those root touch up applicator bottles it doesnt let to much out and its faster when applying rather than getting my hands fingers and stuff all oily and greasy. But i'm still shedding and with my job i can only CO/EVOO once a week. I use my Aussie after oiling and during the week when im not oiling i use an herbal shampoo bar and Suave Naturals Conditioner since i cannot put conditioner on my roots. causes too much sebum. But the shedding is becoming an issue the next morning after a wash.

Crysta
August 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
So It was my wash day today and I used castor oil mixed with EVOO on my hair the day before and washed it this morning, when I woke up in the afternoon - my mom said my hair looked really good.

It does! looks amazing, I don't know about any other positives but even in there isn't any I will continue to use it.
Makes my hair look shiny and thick. Love it.

kwaniesiam
August 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Just reporting that nightly use of pure castor oil on my eyelashes has had amazing results. I didn't photograph the progress but I can really tell they're thickening up and getting longer too. They also look nicer when I apply mascara, as if the oil has been conditioning them and keeps them from clumping up or looking dry and flaky.

Sookie
August 13th, 2011, 05:55 AM
kwaniesiam : nice avatar hahaha :p

Busybee
August 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Just thought I would jump on the bandwagon here :)

I wanted to post (for anyone interested) proof that something is working, and I really think it's the castor oil. I am a seeing is believing person myself, so seeing these little sprouts on my head is very exciting!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/6042638952_c14d326e0c.jpg

The only new things [other than switching to no cones] that I have been doing of significant difference is Castor oil with a drop of Lavender EO every three nights before I wash in the morning. This process has been 3 weeks in the making!

I upend the bottle onto my fingertips, watch some t.v., and just massage slowly all over my scalp, reapplying as necessary to cover my whole scalp. I then coat the length with good smears of coconut oil (since I read it's more effective to penetrate the cortex as a pre-wash, than post-wash). Throw it all up into high bun on top, and wash out the next morning.

Oh.... I am taking Nettle 300mg 2x a day, but I am convinced the Castor oil is making this difference. :agree:
I've been trying on my eyelashes too when I remember to wash my face at night (baaad girl, I know). Don't know if it's working there or not, since I haven't been consistent.

pocketsmall
August 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Impressive results Busybee! How many times a week are you using castor oil? I'm trying to restore my hair due to medicine damage as well.

WickedLady
August 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I wanted to post (for anyone interested) proof that something is working, and I really think it's the castor oil. I am a seeing is believing person myself, so seeing these little sprouts on my head is very exciting!

The only new things [other than switching to no cones] that I have been doing of significant difference is Castor oil with a drop of Lavender EO every three nights before I wash in the morning. This process has been 3 weeks in the making!

I upend the bottle onto my fingertips, watch some t.v., and just massage slowly all over my scalp, reapplying as necessary to cover my whole scalp. I then coat the length with good smears of coconut oil (since I read it's more effective to penetrate the cortex as a pre-wash, than post-wash). Throw it all up into high bun on top, and wash out the next morning.

Oh.... I am taking Nettle 300mg 2x a day, but I am convinced the Castor oil is making this difference. :agree:
I've been trying on my eyelashes too when I remember to wash my face at night (baaad girl, I know). Don't know if it's working there or not, since I haven't been consistent.

for some reason no matter which way i apply my castor oil mix it just comes out to clumping my hair and making it alllllll greasy and gross. Any suggestions?????????????

Busybee
August 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Impressive results Busybee! How many times a week are you using castor oil? I'm trying to restore my hair due to medicine damage as well.

for some reason no matter which way i apply my castor oil mix it just comes out to clumping my hair and making it alllllll greasy and gross. Any suggestions?????????????

I wash every 3 days and the night before (or if I am staying home all day - do it in the morning, and then wash at night).

I upend the bottle of castor oil onto my fingertips, just enough to get my fingertips blobbed (about a 1/4 tsp each application). I then drop 1 drop of Lavender EO on that - and then rub my fingertips together. This seems to dilute the casor oil a tad.

Start massaging in sections on my scalp. If I need more Castor, I just get enough on my fingertips again, another drop of EO, and go back to work.

It feels sticky but I'm not using a ton, so it's not that bad.
I then coat the length in coconut oil, and BBB the hair out long and straight (I can get the BBB along the strands so it's not as sticky as you'd think)

Up into a bun it goes, and then regular wash routine in the morning.

archel
August 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I have a dropper bottle that I pre-mixed everything in. I used 50/50 castor and grapeseed oil with some lavender and helichrysum which are also stimulating EOs. I put a drop on each finger tip, then rup the fingertips on each hand together to have it on both hands, and then work on sections of my scalp until my whole head is done. Then I put a little on the ends and comb through with my wooden comb and put it up to sleep. I wash it in the morning.

girlcat36
August 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Okay, I am back on the castor oil bandwagon! Is everyone applying it to wet or dry hair? And is anyone applying it to their length? I'm sick of my hair loss, and babyfine, thin, frizzy hair.

ange1ito
August 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I started every other overnight on dry hair, since seeing the growth i cut down to at least 2 time's in the week, mainly because it does get overloaded, even after washing. I want to avoid harsh clarifying shampoo's. I am sticking to castor oil over coconut at the moment as I for sure was'nt getting the growth before. Yep shedding is the bain of my life ;)

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I have been trying this so many times, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Whatever I mix it with, it gets SUPERSTICKY and it HURTS to apply it on my scalp :( I never even get to the scalp, just the hair close to the scalp. My hand get all stuck up in my hair and I end up sitting there angry with nasty har.. Advice? :(

teal
August 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have now read through the entire thread! :thud: What a lot of useful information! I was surprised at how infrequently some questions were repeated, actually. So I've decided: I'm going to get on the castor oil bandwagon :cheer:... I guess fast growth would be nice but thickening my ponytail circumference would really be nice. :D

This is one problem I foresee myself having! I only wash once every 7-10 days and the rest of the time I WO-wash which I'm guessing, judging by most of the responses, won't be sufficient to remove the castor oil. I saw one response up there somewhere about a BS/ACV no-pooer :D who reported that a BS wash was sufficient for removal. I'll probably CO wash it out instead as that seems to be a gentler method... I find BS dries out my ends so I just use it sparingly on the scalp when needed.

I have a couple of questions - please chime in if you have any experience at all!!

If your routine is BS/ACV or WO, how do you make that jive with castor oil treatments? How much, how often, how long do you leave it, and what to wash out with? I'm afraid of getting increased sebum production again... my scalp has settled down and it's happy where it is... I've found that CO-washing out deep treatments once a week or less is ok, which leads me to the next question.

Has anyone piggybacked a deep treatment onto this?? If I have to CO-wash to get this stuff out, I'd rather do it infrequently (once a week or less). I was thinking about a castor/avocado oil mix on the scalp, then an avocado or other DT on the lengths. Then CO-wash it out.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

alyanna
August 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM

I noticed similar looking sprouts myself, but I'm wondering about something.

How do you know they're new hairs and not frizz? Could you get that kind of sprouting from only 3 weeks?

To tell you the truth, I wasn't convinced my sprouts were new hairs. I thought it was either frizz or hairs breaking from all the scalp rubbing :o

WickedLady
August 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I have been trying this so many times, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Whatever I mix it with, it gets SUPERSTICKY and it HURTS to apply it on my scalp :( I never even get to the scalp, just the hair close to the scalp. My hand get all stuck up in my hair and I end up sitting there angry with nasty har.. Advice? :(

try heating the oil a little (let it sit in a bowl or applicator bottle in hot water) and then apply it. might find it wasier that way. what are you mixing with your castor oil and how much?

archel
August 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I thought it was breakage at first too until I looked very closely and found nothing but tapered ends. How exciting! It's all new growth!

archel
August 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Curlahead, have you tried mixing it half and half with grapeseed oil? That's the lightest oil I could find at the health food store and I'm having no problem spreading it. You may want to try that and also heating it up will make it a little runnier, plus I expect it would feel great!

WickedLady
August 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Okay, I am back on the castor oil bandwagon! Is everyone applying it to wet or dry hair? And is anyone applying it to their length? I'm sick of my hair loss, and babyfine, thin, frizzy hair.

im in the same situation you are. I have been castor oiling for about 2 months and have noticed baby hairs coming from the scalp where i lost my hair. It will take time but we have all seen good results :)

WickedLady
August 16th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I have a dropper bottle that I pre-mixed everything in. I used 50/50 castor and grapeseed oil with some lavender and helichrysum which are also stimulating EOs. I put a drop on each finger tip, then rup the fingertips on each hand together to have it on both hands, and then work on sections of my scalp until my whole head is done. Then I put a little on the ends and comb through with my wooden comb and put it up to sleep. I wash it in the morning.

i do the same thing but i have to use a sleep cap becuase my hair isnt long enough to put it up without damamgeing it.

knoxkatie
August 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
How do you know they're new hairs and not frizz? Could you get that kind of sprouting from only 3 weeks?

To tell you the truth, I wasn't convinced my sprouts were new hairs. I thought it was either frizz or hairs breaking from all the scalp rubbing :o

They look like new hairs because of the tapered ends. From the picture they look several inches long, but I could be mistaken. I doubt they could've gotten that long in 3 weeks.

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
try heating the oil a little (let it sit in a bowl or applicator bottle in hot water) and then apply it. might find it wasier that way. what are you mixing with your castor oil and how much?

Thanks for the tip about heating it, I'll try that. I have tried olive oil, water, conditioner, some oil I don't know the name of, canola oil.. I always dilute it at least 50/50.

Curlahead, have you tried mixing it half and half with grapeseed oil? That's the lightest oil I could find at the health food store and I'm having no problem spreading it. You may want to try that and also heating it up will make it a little runnier, plus I expect it would feel great!

No, I haven't.. What is that? I haven't seen it in any store.. :confused:

archel
August 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Grapeseed oil is super duper light and really easy to spread, mixing it half and half with the castor oil has made it easier to work with. I don't think I could spread the castor by itself because it is so sticky. If you can't find grapeseed oil in a health food store, perhaps you could order some online?

I like a few drops of grapeseed in my hair for a leave in, too. It's so light and never greasy.

WickedLady
August 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the tip about heating it, I'll try that. I have tried olive oil, water, conditioner, some oil I don't know the name of, canola oil.. I always dilute it at least 50/50.

No, I haven't.. What is that? I haven't seen it in any store.. :confused:

Grapeseed oil you can find in any cooking section. And if that doesnt give you results try diluting with EVOO with some EO's and see how it works for you. I use a root touch up applicator bottle so that i dont ahve use my fingers. I find with my fine hair it tends to get too sticky for me lol and i turn out to be a greaseball.

I envy your hair btw :) i have thin hair would love to have your thickness.

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Grapeseed oil is super duper light and really easy to spread, mixing it half and half with the castor oil has made it easier to work with. I don't think I could spread the castor by itself because it is so sticky. If you can't find grapeseed oil in a health food store, perhaps you could order some online?

I like a few drops of grapeseed in my hair for a leave in, too. It's so light and never greasy.

Thank you, I'll look for it some day. Where I live, I can't even find some stupid PURE aloe vera, it's impossible. And if I do, it is SO EXPENSIVE (since I want to use it for the hair) that I wouldn't have any money left, haha :( I have bought some lighter conditioner that I wash my hair with (CO-washing), do you think I can mix castor oil, EVOO and that conditioner, or can the conditioner have a negative effect on the castor oil? Maybe.. 50-CO/25-EVOO/25-conditioner? And then heat it up?

Grapeseed oil you can find in any cooking section. And if that doesnt give you results try diluting with EVOO with some EO's and see how it works for you. I use a root touch up applicator bottle so that i dont ahve use my fingers. I find with my fine hair it tends to get too sticky for me lol and i turn out to be a greaseball.

I envy your hair btw :) i have thin hair would love to have your thickness.

Thank you, I will look there. Didn't even know that you could get oil out of a grape seed, haha. What is EO?

And thank you.. :blossom: It is not just positive having thick hair, at least not when being as short as mine is.. I think your hair looks really pretty. :)

PolarCathy
August 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Castor oil is the best oil for the ends too, in my opinion :D :love:

WickedLady
August 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Thank you, I'll look for it some day. Where I live, I can't even find some stupid PURE aloe vera, it's impossible. And if I do, it is SO EXPENSIVE (since I want to use it for the hair) that I wouldn't have any money left, haha :( I have bought some lighter conditioner that I wash my hair with (CO-washing), do you think I can mix castor oil, EVOO and that conditioner, or can the conditioner have a negative effect on the castor oil? Maybe.. 50-CO/25-EVOO/25-conditioner? And then heat it up?

Thank you, I will look there. Didn't even know that you could get oil out of a grape seed, haha. What is EO?

And thank you.. :blossom: It is not just positive having thick hair, at least not when being as short as mine is.. I think your hair looks really pretty. :)

awww thank you :). EO is essential oils like lavendar, rosemary etc.

WickedLady
August 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM
By the way since using castor oil for the past month my hair has grown and i can notice it since my last cut im so excited! now if i can only work on my thickness hehe.

YepLilly
August 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Count me in! :rockerdud

My plan:
- Mix Castor oil and Grapeseed oil (50/50) (I may add some Rosemary oil later on)
- Apply mix to scalp (dip fingertips with oils, gently massage the scalp in circular motion for a few minutes)
- Apply Coconut oil to length
- Leave it in a bun or shower cap for 1-2 hours (overnight if possible)
- Wash it out with CWC (first C will be a cone-free conditioner)
- Do this at least once per week (two if possible)

My main goal with this is thickness and regrowth. Let's see!

redcelticcurls
August 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Subscribing.

Busybee
August 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Definitely on dry hair. I cringe at trying to run something sticky through already problematic and brittle hair when it's wet :scared:

I haven't put it on my length before as it IS quite thick and sticky. I use cocount oil and Foxs Condition cream recipe for the length, and then sleep on the whole thing in a bun, to wash out the next morning. Noticing a definite softness increasing in the hair.

Busybee
August 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM
They look like new hairs because of the tapered ends. From the picture they look several inches long, but I could be mistaken. I doubt they could've gotten that long in 3 weeks.

Hey ladies,
In refrence to my picture posted earlier, I swear to you, that it was only 3 weeks - towards the end of 4 weeks that I saw these little sprouts. I was applying it every 2-3 days too, however, as I cannot go too long in between washes with all the coconut oil and shea I've been using. I know they are new hairs for 2 reasons:

A) I have gone 1 whole year with the medicine damage I suffered, and as much hair broke off and fell out - I never saw anything like this on my head. Trust me - I have been obsessing over my hair every day - so I would notice.

B) The sprouts are the color of my roots - not the slightest bit of dye on them, so I know they didn't break off from previously dyed hair.

I quit the medicine at the same time I started castor oil - but there is no way that my head magically sprouted just from quitting meds. And the Nettle I am taking is one week behind from the castor oil massages.

So, my only conclusion is that either all of my TLC is creating this new growth - or I am a freak of nature.............might be both. LOL

ButterCream
August 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I wanna do this too!:D

I have fine hair, and want to thicken up my hemline as it is whispy because I am trying to get rid of layers. And my hair is growing so slooooooooooow... less than a centimeter a month :(

I will be on the lookout for grapeseed oil, sounds promising for diluting the castor!

CurlAhead
August 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Okay, so I tried mixing it with olive oil and conditioner.... It was really sticky, so I tried it in dry hair. Didn't work, so then I tried it in wet hair. I don't know, it MIGHT have worked a LITTLE better...

If your scalp is itching when you have the castor oil on it, does that mean that it is "penetrating" and working or just that you might have an allergy? *I'm hoping for the working-part*

MidnightStar
August 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
All right, I did a castor oil treatment tonight when I got home from work. Just rubbed it in straight, left it on for a bit over an hour and then co-washed out. And...shedding! Wow. I mean, not like TONS, but enough I noticed. I haven't done that many treatments, and I haven't noticed this happening before. I mean, I could attribute the increased shedding to a lot of things: not having brushed my hair in a couple of days (hey, I'm lazy), the shampoo I was using that my scalp hated, the extreme amount of stress I've been under the last few weeks...but I think I'm going to back off the castor oil for a bit and see how it goes. Anybody else have this problem?

happybear
August 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
@ Busybee

Congrats on the new baby sprouts!

PolarCathy
August 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Has any1 tried to add a little bit of castor oil to their flaxseed gel? It seems to give me particularly bouncy hair and a siiiick shine. IDK if it's good in the long run though, I have heard that castor oil on the length straightens hair. Any input?

Misti
August 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I saw one response up there somewhere about a BS/ACV no-pooer :D who reported that a BS wash was sufficient for removal. I'll probably CO wash it out instead as that seems to be a gentler method... I find BS dries out my ends so I just use it sparingly on the scalp when needed.

Teal, if you decide to try BS and ACV, you might consider borrowing an idea from our CWC friends.

After two and half years of BS and ACV, I have!

I have started to put a heavy moisturizing conditioner on my length before I put the the baking soda on, and then holding the ends out of the way when I rinse. Then I do the vinegar rinse, and let that rinse off the majority of the conditioner. My ends have never been happier! (They hate shampoo, too. No idea why I didn't try this sooner.)

Oh, and I am also doing a very small amount of protein conditioner as a leave in after I shower...)

Cleopatra18
August 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
anyone adding sulfur to the castor oil mix? I keep reading stuff about increased growth rate using that.
sadly after the progress I made with castor oil in March, my hair kept having setbacks since the begining of summer and it suffered alot. my ends have become thin so I will probably do microtrims.
I'm almost out of my current mix and will make a new one soon. Don't know if i'll infuse it with herbs again but I'm buying some tea tree oil as it helped with dandruff before, and sulfur if I can find it.

Jing
August 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
anyone adding sulfur to the castor oil mix? I keep reading stuff about increased growth rate using that.
sadly after the progress I made with castor oil in March, my hair kept having setbacks since the begining of summer and it suffered alot. my ends have become thin so I will probably do microtrims.
I'm almost out of my current mix and will make a new one soon. Don't know if i'll infuse it with herbs again but I'm buying some tea tree oil as it helped with dandruff before, and sulfur if I can find it.

Isn't MSM a kind of sulfur?

teal
August 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
First attempt was last night!

I made up a castor oiling recipe from the hair growth study article someone mentioned earlier, taking out the jojoba and grapeseed carrier oils and replacing them with a 50/50 castor/avocado oil mix:
- Cedarwood 2 drops
- Thyme 2 drops
- Lavender 3 drops
- Rosemary 3 drops
- Castor oil 2 tsp
- Avocado oil 2 tsp

My hair at this point hadn't been washed in several days. So I got out my BBB and went to work. Then mixed the oils up in a little glass bowl, put an inch or so of boiling water from the kettle into a pot, placed the bowl in and stirred until the oil was warm to the touch. I then put the pot on the floor in front of my chair so it would be easy to get to and the oil would stay warm. I massaged the oil into my scalp in no particular pattern, just making sure to get every area well-massaged.

I saran-wrapped it, put a shower cap over that to hold it in place, put a toque over everything and a towel on my pillow and went to bed. When I got up I put cone-free conditioner on the scalp, massaged it in and re-wrapped my head (sans toque). A couple of hours after that I rinsed that out, put more in, performed some shower tasks and then rinsed that out as well. It took a looong time to rinse.

The hair is still a bit oily, but I'm okay with that. I like a bit of oil in my hair for styling purposes and since I stretch washes my hair usually has some sebum anyway.

My thoughts:
- Less lavender next time! Good heavens it's strong-smelling!
- This was a lot of oil for my hair. As it's not really easy to halve a drop of essential oil, I might find a small applicator bottle to keep a mix in and use less in a sitting.
- I might try grapeseed oil instead of avocado oil next time to see if the rinsing is easier.
- I shed a bit more hair than usual. I'll monitor this over the next few weeks and if it doesn't slow down or have some offsetting benefit then I'll probably stop this method of applying castor oil. I'm going to try Pandora's recipe at some point, too... if it's kinder to my hair and less difficult to wash I may switch over.

Teal, if you decide to try BS and ACV, you might consider borrowing an idea from our CWC friends.

After two and half years of BS and ACV, I have!

I have started to put a heavy moisturizing conditioner on my length before I put the the baking soda on, and then holding the ends out of the way when I rinse. Then I do the vinegar rinse, and let that rinse off the majority of the conditioner. My ends have never been happier! (They hate shampoo, too. No idea why I didn't try this sooner.)

Oh, and I am also doing a very small amount of protein conditioner as a leave in after I shower...)

Ahh, this is great! :) I've been using BS/ACV and WO washes going on three months now and I don't think my hair has ever been happier, especially since the sebum production adjusted.

I had started putting a bit of coconut oil on the ends before a BS wash and that generally improves things... I don't know why I forgot about that. :confused: I haven't tried holding the lengths out of the way when I rinse, though... one hand holds the shower head and the other massages the scalp so maybe I'll try flipping the ends over an arm or something. Thanks for the tip on conditioning - I may give this a go!

You just reminded me that I forgot my ACV rinse after washing out the castor mix, so I'm going to go do that now too. :cheese:

Audrey Horne
August 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have heard that castor oil on the length straightens hair. Any input?
I haven't heard it... I use it on my length more often than on my roots and I haven't noticed any change. But I was never a curly gal.

Audrey Horne
August 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Does anyone here measure their hair? Did castor oil really increase hair growth? Would be interesting to look at some data if anyone has it.

Cleopatra18
August 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Isn't MSM a kind of sulfur?
yes but i take it internally. I was thinking of applying it topically using sublime sulfur in an oil mix.

redcelticcurls
August 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Has any1 tried to add a little bit of castor oil to their flaxseed gel? It seems to give me particularly bouncy hair and a siiiick shine. IDK if it's good in the long run though, I have heard that castor oil on the length straightens hair. Any input?

I use castor oil on my length to seal. I use about a nickel sized blob on each side of my head. I use it over my leave in conditioner and under my gel. I neither less curly nor more curly than usual.

Dragon Faery
August 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Just finished reading the ENTIRE thread. Whew! Thank goodness for smart phones and 8-hour road trips! :) I've been using Castor Oil for about 3 or 4 weeks now, so I'll share my routine as it started and how it is currently, as well as what results I think I've seen:

I have dark, fine-medium, 3a-ish hair. The top spirals could maybe be 3b, but the hair at the nape of my neck is so straight it could be 1a or 1b. The majority seems to be 3a to me, though. The longest layer is BSL (barely!), and the shortest is about 1/8" past chin.

When I first started applying Castor Oil, I would do it the night before a wash (which is a little less than 3 times a week; works out to about 5 washes every 2 weeks). I wasn't very scientific. I just poured it into the bottom of a small teacup until it was covered, then dropped in a few drops each of the following EOs: Basil, Peppermint, Lavender, and Rosemary. I would dip my fingers in the cup, rub the fingertips of both hands together, and massage the oil into my scalp, starting at the hairline and working my way back until it felt like my scalp was decently covered. If I had extra, I'd just work it in wherever. I'd guess it took about a tablespoon to cover my scalp. I massaged it for a long time because it felt good. The basil and peppermint made my scalp tingle a lot, which makes sense if they're increasing circulation.

While massaging the oil in, I sort of absentmindedly worked out any tangles I found (I was watching TV), which (a) increased my hair loss while doing it, and (b) definitely coated a lot more of my length.

I still use this basic method of getting it into my hair. The first two times I did it, I noticed a TON of shedding. The oil is rather grippy, so I thought it made sense. Since I don't have too much of a shedding problem in general, I didn't think it would matter in the long run. I quickly lost count of how many hairs I lost, both in the oiling that night and in the washing out the following day, but it was well over 100 combined, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were over 200.

I had already been CO washing when I started this, and I never had trouble getting the oil out the next day. This could partly be because I've also always added Rosemary EO to my Castor Oil. [I read somewhere (possibly in this thread) that this can make a difference.] My current wash method is to wet my hair in the shower, coat it in V05 Kiwi Lime or Passion Fruit, and keep it in for about half an hour while I take a very obsessive shower just because I can. ;) I rinse like the dickens, then coat my hair in Nature's Gate Chamomile (when I use the Kiwi Lime) or Desert Essence Coconut Replenishing (when I use the Passion Fruit). I leave that in for 5-ish minutes, detangle, then rinse out. When I first began, I used no leave-ins.

I've refined my mixing somewhat in the past few weeks, though not the application. I bought a 1-oz. amber bottle with a dropper. I put in 8 drops each Rosemary and Lavender EOs, and 4 drops each Basil and Peppermint EOs. I then filled the bottle with 50/50 Castor Oil and Coconut (I think; it might've been olive, but I'm pretty sure I did coconut). I shake the bottle well before each application, then simply drop a few drops onto my fingertips, rub together for a bit of warming, and massage into my scalp, a bit at a time, from the hairline towards the crown. This has made it somewhat easier to apply. I'm considering going back to straight Castor Oil, though. I'm also considering diluting it 50/50 or 60/30 with Avocado Oil.

I can't honestly remember if I formerly coated the length with Castor Oil, though I think I did. I know for sure I did at least once. Lately I've made a separate mix in its own dropper bottle for my length. It's 50/50 Coconut and EVOO, with 8 drops each Lavender and Rosemary. Smells heavenly. :)

Before I changed my routine, my hair was growing around 1/4" a month, if that. It seemed like it split faster than it grew. About a week into my new routine, I'd measured the same 1/4" of new growth, meaning I increased my growth rate by 4 TIMES what it had been. My scalp itched and tingled a lot, and sometimes felt warm, but it didn't seem like an allergy. I think it was increased circulation, and I suspect I was actually feeling my hair grow.

On 8/8/'11, I took the most precise measurements I could, on wet, freshly washed hair, and I got a length of 12" from my nape to my hemline. (I did it this way because of my layers. If I measured the "official" way of forehead, over top of head, down to hemline, it would falsely state that I had 24" of hair, which is about twice the length of my actual longest strands.)

The next day I dusted the ends, taking off about 1/4".

On 8/19/'11, I measured again, the same way as before. This time I got a nape measurement of 13.25"!

I'm not positive that I measured correctly, so I'm going to wait until I've measured a few more times to see if this is really happening. But if this routine can actually get me over 1" of growth in just 10 days, I may be in danger of becoming the happiest woman on the planet.

I'll try to check in now and then, posting measurements and any changes I make to my routine.

Happy growing, everyone!

~DF~

Dragon Faery
August 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Forgot to mention that the last time I did this, I only lost about 20 hairs during the oiling, 10 finger-combing before my shower, 76 in the shower, and 11 afterwards. So the shedding is definitely decreasing. I've also noticed less shedding the rest of the time. Down to about 5 or 10 hairs where normally I'd shed 30-50.

alyanna
August 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Well I've been using castor oil for 3 weeks now, maybe a month, and I've made some discoveries that I'd like to share with all of you. Keep in my mind that my hair is fine, thin and wurly.

-applying castor oil straight rather than mixing it with another oil produces less greasy results. My first batch was mixed 50/50 with EVOO. My scalp just cannot handle the super-moisturizing EVOO. Straight castor oil actually leaves my hair more plump so the hairs near my scalp seem to have more volume or seem to be thicker. This is maybe because castor oil is a drying oil after all.

-straight castor oil comes out with CO washing without a problem. The castor/evoo mix does not come out easily at all. Even with shampoo, my roots are too soft/slippery and get greasy by day 2.

-application is not easy because of the sticky gripiness of castor oil. There are ways around this. I dab along thin areas of my scalp using my finger, a q-tip or a dropper. Fingers provide the best control. After I've dabbed, I slowly work my fingers through my hair so they are all touching my scalp, then I begin massaging while keeping my fingers "in" my hair. I don't know if I'm describing this adequately, but basically, the toughest part is getting your sticky, oily fingers to your scalp without snagging and pulling strands along the way. Once the fingers have made contact with the scalp, I keep them "in" my hair until I'm done with the massage.

Two conclusions that I've made are"
1)It does seem castor oil has drying properties and therefore;
2)castor oil seems to work well as a scalp cleanser for me. It removes sebum, while leaving the hair soft, but not greasy.

Finally, my thin hair does not like castor oil on the ends. Just too sticky. EVOO, coconut or almond are better in this regard, but less is more.

Just editing to add that I use castor oil on my scalp the night before I wash, which is usually the next morning, but sometimes it's been 24 hours later. This amounts to maybe 3 times/week. Still nothing report as far as new hairs sprouting...

LouLaLa
August 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM
Finally got hold of a bottle of this stuff!

Im hoping it will help a little as one side of my hair is thinner than the other. Im not expecting miracles but I was so happy to finally find this product that its worth a go!

Im using it on my eyelashes and eyebrows too and I already can see that my lashes look much longer/thicker/silkier so if nothing else ill continue because of that. Its also improved my brows beautifully :) I used ot have a little gap on one of them and its made it look more filled out. Happy!

Im going to do my hair and see how I get along, I must take a *starting pic* and one next month so we can compare.

I blow dried my hair on friday for a professional works event- it felt frazzled! So I used this as a scalp treat. The oil was a lovely TLC. I put on walnut oil and the castor- my hair was so so silky the next morning and not at all sticky, which was great as I have very fine hair :D

Busybee
August 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Does anyone here measure their hair? Did castor oil really increase hair growth? Would be interesting to look at some data if anyone has it.

Audrey: You should check out my pic on page 110 of this post and read what I wrote there. The proof is in the pudding........ or my scalp. Haha.

There is nothing else that could make new sprouts just pop up out of nowhere, if I have limited myself to only 2 variables of Castor oil massages and some Nettle suplements (which I started a week after the massages). Only other difference is changing S&C - which can't be the reason for the growth - else women everywhere would be Lady Godiva.

Jimothea
August 22nd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hey speaking of previous posts, is there a summary post somewhere on this thread, like there is on some of the other longish ones?

I'm troubleshooting how to help the doggie (I know, I know-- but skin issues/rounds of meds= some major hair loss, and this was where I thought to look for help!) regrow hair and feel less itchy, and was kinda hoping to have info in a nutshell for when we go back to the vet so I can talk with her about it....any ideas/can anyone sum up for me? Appt. is this afternoon. If there isn't a summary no biggie, just wondering.

TIA!

CrisDee
August 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hey speaking of previous posts, is there a summary post somewhere on this thread, like there is on some of the other longish ones?

I'm troubleshooting how to help the doggie (I know, I know-- but skin issues/rounds of meds= some major hair loss, and this was where I thought to look for help!) regrow hair and feel less itchy, and was kinda hoping to have info in a nutshell for when we go back to the vet so I can talk with her about it....any ideas/can anyone sum up for me? Appt. is this afternoon. If there isn't a summary no biggie, just wondering.

TIA!

Jimothea, I am also on a few dog-related message boards, and the consensus seems to be that the best thing for regrowing hair on dogs is Monistat - it helps with the regrowth, plus many of the ailments that cause the hair loss are fungal. You also may want to check his food, corn is a big no-no with dogs that have problems like yours. Good luck with your pooch! :puppy:

Audrey Horne
August 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Audrey: You should check out my pic on page 110 of this post and read what I wrote there. The proof is in the pudding........ or my scalp. Haha.

There is nothing else that could make new sprouts just pop up out of nowhere, if I have limited myself to only 2 variables of Castor oil massages and some Nettle suplements (which I started a week after the massages). Only other difference is changing S&C - which can't be the reason for the growth - else women everywhere would be Lady Godiva.

Thanks for your reply, Busybee. I was more curious about the length rather than the sprouts (I had those too when I just started), I mean the "old long hairs". I could never say when it comes to my head because I changed the whole routine. Sure, I regrew my hairline because it used to be quite bad and eyelashes/eyebrows results were quite good but when it comes to my existing length - I can't tell.

YepLilly
August 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
So I did my first Castor oil treatment! :cheer:

What I did:
- Mixed Castor oil and Grapeseed oil (50/50)
- Applied mix to scalp (dipped fingertips in oils and massaged the scalp gently in circular motion for a few minutes)
- Applied Coconut oil to length
- Left hair in a bun and shower cap for 2 hours
- Washed it out with CWC (didn't have trouble washing the oils off)
- Applied leave-in and let hair air-dry

Products used:
- Coconut oil by Nature's Way
- Castor oil by Heritage Products
- Grapeseed oil by Heritage Products
- 1st C: VO5 Strawberries Conditioner
- W: Garnier Length & Strength Shampoo
- 2nd C: Aussie Moist Conditioner
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-in Cream

Results:
Nothing seemed off, scalp felt ok, hair felt soft. I will keep doing this at least once a week. Let's see if after a few applications I start noticing new hairs :D

LisaMonster
August 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Decided to start trying castor oil.

Due to medical things going on, my hair has been thinning out quite a bit. So in addition to seeing a doctor, I've re-started the vitamins I'm supposed to be taking and started castor oil mixed with safflower oil. We'll see :)

LouLaLa
August 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Im in love with this stuff! Ive already noticed a little extra growth and even my father commented on it! He never notices anything :p It also seems to be helping with my thin patch on my temple.

Also it had made my lashes and brows look really good! I havent had to wear mascara, im so so happy as im very fair and hate wearing mascara as I get sooty marks when my makeup begins to melt as the day goes on!

Best money I ever spent :D Im so happy :cheese:

YepLilly
August 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Im in love with this stuff! Ive already noticed a little extra growth and even my father commented on it! He never notices anything :p It also seems to be helping with my thin patch on my temple.

That's great! :D How long have you been applying castor oil to your hair?

LouLaLa
August 25th, 2011, 03:13 AM
That's great! :D How long have you been applying castor oil to your hair?

Just a week and a half. I was one of the big skeptics about this but Ive been blown away by it! I cant wait for a couple of months time, the hairdresser said my thin patch couldnt be fixed! Im sure not everyone will get the same results but its worth a go IMO because if youre lucky like me its that elusive "wonder product" were all searching for. :cheese:

The improvement in my eyelashes is phenomenal too.

...can you tellim rather pleased hehe :p

EDIT
I was looking in my rear view mirror before in the car and I have those springy new hair sproutings too. I think this may also be due to my new vitamin regime. However it definately isnt breakage because I never use heated appliances and I dont dye my hair. Theyre new though, ive never had them before. All I use is a mild shampoo and the castor oil.

americanjan1
August 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Why does the castor oil make my scalp flaky? I've never had that problem before.

Cassie 123
August 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Why does the castor oil make my scalp flaky? I've never had that problem before.

Anything can cause an allergic reaction. I would stop using it immediately, and maybe try again with a different brand after the flakiness subsides.

SilverMcFly17
August 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I am loving the castor oil coupled with CO and ACV rinse. I use castor oil in a hair dye applicator bottle and apply a few drops here and there and massage it in. I've done this 3 times now and leave it on over night up to 24 hours. Then I CO and rinse. After that I condition again and let it sit while I finish my shower. Right before I step out I rinse with 50/50 ACV and rinse again with water. My flat, thin, lifeless hair has WAY more volume at the roots than any product I've ever bought has given me and I don't have to do any detangling at all. The comb runs right through it. which has never ever happened before. I'll check back in a week or so with measurements to see if there's something to this growth. Even if there isn't so far it's worth it.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Aveyronnaise
August 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Okay it's showing results time for me , I put this pic up on the braid thread and realized that you can see my new growth that I attribute to castor oil.If you look along the part of my hair you can see all of the little baby new growth hairs, I started this in March , so you can see that the hairs started growing around that time from their length.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/rubytakeyrlove/IMG_1614-1.jpg

C.H.
August 27th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Hey, ladies. I just wanted to check in and say that I have been using castor oil on my lashes, brows, and along my hairline (I had some minor thinning around my temples, as well as some breakage there I wanted to grow out more quickly) and am pleased with the results. My hairline has thickened up nicely and below are some before and after photos of my eyes and brows. The photos were taken six weeks apart. I try to apply it every night, but I often I miss nights, and there have been a couple periods within the six weeks where I stopped for a week or so.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6084552155_f08d08ff6f_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6084552247_3078cbc26e_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6084617255_0faaf95bca_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6084617213_62c285df1f_z.jpg

Seishin
August 27th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I see those hairs Aveyronnaise :) Sorry if you have already posted this earlier but can you tell me what your method of applying is. I love the idea of castor oil but I'm shedding like crazy as it is anyway and some members are applying this the night before a wash a couple of times a week.. I've stretched out my washes to every 7 days now. So would I just use a 50:50 mix with another oil to thin down and leave overnight? Or do you need to use this a few times a week to reap the rewards?....... :(

Aveyronnaise
August 27th, 2011, 04:45 AM
hi Seishin ,
I have been doing a very simple regimen of applying the castor oil to the scalp with the pads of my fingers and then massaging it in one per week, sometimes I put coconut onto the length. After that I put it up in a jersey wrap or sleep on an old baby blanket of my son's while it is in a french braid.
That's it I have to keep it simple or i know I would stop doing it so , there you go !

Seishin
August 27th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks Aveyronnaise. I will definately try that. Once a week is better than nothing at all:) I rub a bit on my eyebrows religiously every morning though:D. I wear contact lenses, so I'm thinking its a no no for eyelashes. Aaaah the thought of long luscious eyelashes without the use of mascara sounds like heaven :)

Aveyronnaise
August 27th, 2011, 05:07 AM
hey really why bother to do it more if you get results from once a week .I know I am more likely to stay with something if it's simple .

Catlover
August 27th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Well I just put in my first application of castor oil - mixed with grapeseed oil (50/50). Only drawback was thick compared to coconut oil - but hey am prepared to put up with the thickness of it.

Maybe next time will warm slightly in microwave just to make it more runny!

Will keep posted.

pink.sara
August 29th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Wow, so I tried castor oil and coconut 50/50 and although felt fine on my scalp I could not get it out! Vile! One CO and 2 shampoos later it is still stuck in some of my underlayers :(
I think maybe it's not worth the hassle if I had to clarify it out several times a week!
Good luck to everyone using it though, hope you see some growth :)

LouLaLa
August 29th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Wow, so I tried castor oil and coconut 50/50 and although felt fine on my scalp I could not get it out! Vile! One CO and 2 shampoos later it is still stuck in some of my underlayers :(
I think maybe it's not worth the hassle if I had to clarify it out several times a week!
Good luck to everyone using it though, hope you see some growth :)

Try just using a very little bit neat. I myself find coconut oil wont come out of my hair at all- hate the stuff. But with castor im ok! So maybe try that?

I have very fine hair and I just use the slightest film of it on my fingers and rub it into my scalp using the pads of my fingers. I lift up the underlayers- any more and I think id have been clarifying for a week too!

On my own progess: Hair very soft, definately new growth, eyelashed very thick now and hair is more manageable- in short im beyond happy :D

pink.sara
August 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Try just using a very little bit neat. I myself find coconut oil wont come out of my hair at all- hate the stuff. But with castor im ok! So maybe try that?

I have very fine hair and I just use the slightest film of it on my fingers and rub it into my scalp using the pads of my fingers. I lift up the underlayers- any more and I think id have been clarifying for a week too!

On my own progess: Hair very soft, definately new growth, eyelashed very thick now and hair is more manageable- in short im beyond happy :D

Hmm, everyone seems to have really good reports from using it which makes me want to give it another go. I can slather my hair in coconut oil and wash it out with one shampoo normally so I thought a dilution would be better.
Maybe I'll do it neat and really try just to use a teeny bit! I did put on enough to soak my roots and a good inch of hair!! Doh!

Kelikea
August 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Try using a lot of conditioner to emulsify the oil, then wash it out.

BohoClassic
August 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hmm, everyone seems to have really good reports from using it which makes me want to give it another go. I can slather my hair in coconut oil and wash it out with one shampoo normally so I thought a dilution would be better.
Maybe I'll do it neat and really try just to use a teeny bit! I did put on enough to soak my roots and a good inch of hair!! Doh!

When i apply castor oil/evoo or grapeseed oil 50/50 i usually leave the conditioner on a while when in the shower,and then add water to it, lather it up rinse, and keep lathering,rinsing. This seems to remove most if not all of the oil. I wouldnt dare use the castor oil neat as i fear it would be a whole world of stickiness! Let us know how it goes if you use it neat.

giuditta
August 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hey, ladies. I just wanted to check in and say that I have been using castor oil on my lashes, brows, and along my hairline (I had some minor thinning around my temples, as well as some breakage there I wanted to grow out more quickly) and am pleased with the results. My hairline has thickened up nicely and below are some before and after photos of my eyes and brows. The photos were taken six weeks apart. I try to apply it every night, but I often I miss nights, and there have been a couple periods within the six weeks where I stopped for a week or so.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6084552155_f08d08ff6f_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6084552247_3078cbc26e_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6084617255_0faaf95bca_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6084617213_62c285df1f_z.jpg

Wow those are amazing results, you inspired me to try as well! I have almost no eyebrow hair, people always think I pluck them... I started yesterday and will apply castor oil every night, I'll let you know the results...

C.H.
August 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow those are amazing results, you inspired me to try as well! I have almost no eyebrow hair, people always think I pluck them... I started yesterday and will apply castor oil every night, I'll let you know the results...

Yeah, the difference in my eyebrows is much more noticeable in person. It caught me off guard actually. When I wear full makeup, I usually fill in the brows a bit with a pencil, particularly the outer half beyond the arch. Then a couple of weeks ago, I started with the pencil as usual, and I was like, ugh, it's too dark, why does it look so dark?? Then, I remembered--the castor oil. They really had filled in! I don't actually need the pencil anymore.

giuditta
August 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the difference in my eyebrows is much more noticeable in person. It caught me off guard actually. When I wear full makeup, I usually fill in the brows a bit with a pencil, particularly the outer half beyond the arch. Then a couple of weeks ago, I started with the pencil as usual, and I was like, ugh, it's too dark, why does it look so dark?? Then, I remembered--the castor oil. They really had filled in! I don't actually need the pencil anymore.

That is amazing! Unfortunately my hairs are really blond too, almost transparent, although the hair on my head is not. I have been drawing my eyebrows with a pencil for years, not just filling but actually drawing the whole thing!
Look this is what they look like without makeup...:(
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/giuditta373/Wenkbrauw2.jpg

Anything better than this I'm already happy with, castor do your work please!

C.H.
August 29th, 2011, 12:21 PM
That is amazing! Unfortunately my hairs are really blond too, almost transparent, although the hair on my head is not. I have been drawing my eyebrows with a pencil for years, not just filling but actually drawing the whole thing!
Look this is what they look like without makeup...:(

Anything better than this I'm already happy with, castor do your work please!

I hope it works just as well for you! Please post after photos if you notice a difference.

I've read a bit on the interweb about using castor oil on the lashes to promote growth, and the general wisdom (outside LHC) is that if castor oil is effective only in that it conditions and strengthens the lashes so that they actually reach their full terminal length without breaking or falling out, but that it does not actually enhance growth. Many suggest that regular application of any number oils would would work similarly well in conditioning and strengthening the lashes.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just want to say that based on my experiment, this is not the case! Castor oil is not just conditioning my existing hair, but is actually making it grow longer/faster and reactivating dormant follicles. I know this because:

a. Gaps I've had in my brows and lashes for as long as I can remember have filled in. I have not been abusing my eyebrows in any way that would kill off hair follicles, yet I'm growing hairs now where I never was before.

b. I have to pluck my eyebrows much more often now. This is clearly not a matter of conditioning existing hairs. Hairs that I've plucked away reappear much sooner than they used to.

Now, I've also read that camellia and emu oils are effective for lash growth as well. I'm curious about trying those. I like the idea of creating a custom oil blend for my lashes if it turns out that one of these other oils has similar effects as castor.

ETA: I also want to add that a few weeks after I started the castor oil routine on my lashes a woman at work complimented me on my lashes--for the first time, ever, in my life. It's rather thrilling to be complimented on something that no one's ever mentioned before.

giuditta
August 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Your pictures absolutely speak for themselves, nothing on the web can contest that for me...
Doesn't it irritate your eyes when you put it on your lashes, how do you do that? Don't you get a greasy film in your eyes like with some eye makeup removers?

I have a mix of castor and sweet almond oil on my scalp and hair right now, I hope I can wash it out and it won't look greasy...

Seishin
August 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I was due for a clarifying wash today so decided to use castor oil for the first time. My hair is going through a 2 year shed so instead of applying to my whole scalp, I just applied to my front hairline and worked well into the temples. But.....I applied it undiluted. I was curious how it would wash. Avalon Organics Clarifying shampoo, and treseme naturals avacado conditioner got it all out. And I was quite heavy handed with the oil. My hair feels extra soft and not at all greasy. Will dilute with coconut oil next week and apply to whole scalp and will feed back. I have been applying castor oil to my eyebrows for a while now in the hope that I can bin the eyebrow pencil :D

Isidith
August 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I got soo excited reading about how much castor oil helps that I just ran out and got a bottle!

I am excited to try. I'm pretty obsessed with mascara to make my lashes look fuller and thicker. I hope this works!

Also, I will test it out on my scalp for hair growth since the results sound encouraging. I recently had to chop 3" of hair off that I couldn't repair, so the faster I can get to my old length, the better!! Normally I just use Vatika, Coconut oil or EVOO for oiling my hair, so it will be nice to try something new. :D

Lucky
August 30th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I just started experimenting with castor oil. I've now done 5 applications (spaced about 2-3 days apart each time) and I'm happy to report that I've gotten 2 cm of growth (roughly 3/4 inch if I'm calculating correctly) in just under a 2 week period. This is along with hair vitamins and just general healthy living (enough water, exercise, eating right(ish) :)). I alternate between a 50:50 mix of castor oil /avocado oil and pimento oil with Jamaican black castor oil. I use roughly a tablespoon of oil(s) and apply it in the evening with a pointed tip applicator bottle and massage it in to my scalp. I leave it on overnight and wash it out the next morning. I have fine hair and have not had any problems washing it all out. My roots do get very greasy after application, I'm still trying to find the best way to get it more on my scalp then on my roots, but so far what I'm doing seems to be working. I'm curious to see how things go over the next few weeks, to see if this was a fluke or if this is truly helping. I'm anxious to try castor oil on my eyelashes too.

headtrip_honey
August 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Where do you guys buy your castor oil?

Rosetta
August 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I just bought some organic cold pressed castor oil from ebay yesterday :) It'll sure be a vast improvement on the Hesh (Ancient Formulae) castor oil I was using before, which isn't even pure... So hopefully in a few weeks I can report some positive effects here :)

archel
August 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Mine is Home Health brand castor oil that I bought at a health food store (similar to Whole Foods).

YepLilly
August 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Where do you guys buy your castor oil?

I bought mine online (Vitacost), but I think you can buy it at a vitamin store too (or health food store, like archel said). I bought some sweet almond oil for my skin at GNC.

krissykins
August 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Castor oil can be found at any drugstore/grocery store, usually by the laxatives.

LouLaLa
August 31st, 2011, 08:00 AM
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/MissLouLaLa/DSC00643-Copy-1.jpg

Here is my regrowth. Apologies for my medieval use of paintshop. Everything within the red lines is new growth. Sorry the pic is big, id resize it but then it might not be so easy to see the growth. And lets face it we want to see results dammnit! Not bad for one week!

Its made my hair a little darker, but itll lighten up when its been in the sun for a while so I dont care about that for such great growth. I dont dye and haven for 8 months so thats all new. So happy!

And my eyelashes, which are much longer. I wish id taken a before pic. I didnt think a week would make such a difference. I have no mascara on in that pic, just a teeny dot of castor oil.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/MissLouLaLa/DSC00639-Copy-1.jpg

WickedLady
August 31st, 2011, 08:26 AM
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/MissLouLaLa/DSC00643-Copy-1.jpg

Here is my regrowth. Apologies for my medieval use of paintshop. Everything within the red lines is new growth. Sorry the pic is big, id resize it but then it might not be so easy to see the growth. And lets face it we want to see results dammnit! Not bad for one week!

Its made my hair a little darker, but itll lighten up when its been in the sun for a while so I dont care about that for such great growth. I dont dye and haven for 8 months so thats all new. So happy!

And my eyelashes, which are much longer. I wish id taken a before pic. I didnt think a week would make such a difference. I have no mascara on in that pic, just a teeny dot of castor oil.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/MissLouLaLa/DSC00639-Copy-1.jpg

Yay! congrats on your new growth it looks wonderful! :D

LouLaLa
August 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Yay! congrats on your new growth it looks wonderful! :D

Thankyou! Thats really kind :flower:

I want to get to week 4 and see where it takes me! :cheese:

C.H.
August 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM

That is a *lot* of growth for 1 week! Good for you.

redcelticcurls
August 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM
I've been doing this for a couple of weeks. I already use castor oil to seal, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try it for growth. I have thin sparse areas at my temples. Whether this is from two decades of military updos (usually tight sock buns) aging (I'm 41) or a combination of both, I don't know.

The outer edges of my brows are also sparse.

I have a small bottle of The Palma Christi castor oil (4oz). I'm not fond of the scent, so I added about 15 drops of Rosemary essential oil for scent since it's also supposed to be helpful.

I have an eight oz bottle of Home Health castor oil. I got both bottles at Whole Foods. I use this one for sealing and on my eye area. I use the Rosemary one on my scalp. I apply it at night, the night before a wash day. I apply it to my fingertips, emulsify, and rub it in to my scalp. I do this seated with my head tipped forward. It isn't that hard to get the oil applied, but I'm used to fluffling my roots without mussing the rest of the hair. Same principal.

I have noticed short hairs poking out, but I can't tell you if that's anything new. It's a common thing for my hair type anyway. The thin areas at the temples look the same. The brows look the same.

What it has done, though, is make scalp cleaning easier. My sebum is thick and waxy. It feels like ear wax. After a castor oil treatment at night, my sebum is much more liquified and easier to remove. If nothing else, the luquidification of my sebum would make it easier for new hairs to show since they aren't bogged down in waxy sebum. Even if I get no change in growth rate, it's worth continuing for the sebum thinning.

Cassie 123
August 31st, 2011, 04:32 PM
What it has done, though, is make scalp cleaning easier. My sebum is thick and waxy. It feels like ear wax. After a castor oil treatment at night, my sebum is much more liquified and easier to remove. If nothing else, the luquidification of my sebum would make it easier for new hairs to show since they aren't bogged down in waxy sebum. Even if I get no change in growth rate, it's worth continuing for the sebum thinning.

I have noticed a cleansing benefit, too. I let the oil (I'm using Jamaican black castor oil plus essential oils) sit overnight, and before I CO-wash, I scritch all over my scalp with a horn comb. It's like an OCM for the head. My scalp feels very clean and happy afterwards.

happybear
August 31st, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm also curious to know if you get and oily film in your eyes from applying castor oil to your lashes.

I really would like to try it out on my lashes, but I had laser eye surgery 3 months ago, and am concerned that the oil might migrate into my eyes and cause problems.

Has anyone had issues with this? any tips on how to apply it to your lashes?

gatodelasenora
August 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM
What about taking Castor oil as a supplement? My mom is a nurse and swears by the stuff for hair/skin/nails plus its supposed to make your immune system stronger, and good for brain function? I wonder if taking a suppliment would save the hassle of mixing, massaging, and extra shampooing? My only issue is the liquid oil is NASTY and you have fishy burps, the pills aren't as bad, but you can still have fishy burps... :?

Cassie 123
August 31st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Gatodelasenora, perhaps you are thinking of cod-liver oil? It's a good supplement; I take it daily. But not castor oil, which is a strong laxative. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about castor oil:

Although it may be used for constipation, it is not a preferred treatment, because it can produce painful cramps, fecal incontinence and explosive diarrhea. Its action can go on for hours, sometimes unpredictably and powerfully causing an involuntary bowel movement at inconvenient locations and during sleep.

LouLaLa
September 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm also curious to know if you get and oily film in your eyes from applying castor oil to your lashes.

I really would like to try it out on my lashes, but I had laser eye surgery 3 months ago, and am concerned that the oil might migrate into my eyes and cause problems.

Has anyone had issues with this? any tips on how to apply it to your lashes?

Ive never found it a problem. Theres pics of my lashes and CH's on the past two pages. You only need to apply the finest film of it really. Just coat the pad of your finger really slightly and gently stroke over your lashline. You dont need lots of it at all. If you use too much you will goop your eye up.

Like most things its just about trial and error really. Everyone has their own tricks.

Hair Thinning: Results of Castor Oil Week 1
On a side note here are some more pics of my Week 1 growth. These pics are to show how my thin patch on my temple is starting to grow back. The "wispies" which usually break are now growing into proper hair. New ones are coming in too,but its hard to see them as they are fair. The pics look a little odd as ive had to lift up my hair to show you the growth, my hair isnt that thin, ive just really brushed it back so you can see the bits affected by castor oil.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/MissLouLaLa/DSC00649-1.jpg

WickedLady
September 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Thankyou! Thats really kind :flower:

I want to get to week 4 and see where it takes me! :cheese:

Mine is starting to grow back too :) im a recovering hair loss and i used castor oil. I have been experiementing with different condish products too to find the ones i like. I'm going to try the Yes to Carrots next :) but my thin areas have thickened up and my hair is so soft and has grown over an inch in the last month :) i'm permanently goign to be on the castor wagon!

giuditta
September 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
I love reading about all these results!

How often do you apply it? I was thinking of twice a week, is that enough?

WickedLady
September 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
I love reading about all these results!

How often do you apply it? I was thinking of twice a week, is that enough?

I do mine at least twice a week once on Tuesday and once on Friday :) the only time i leave it on over night though is on a friday when i dont have to go out anyway. I also ACV if im using products with cones. I do a mix ration of 3 parts Castor oil: 1 part EVOO: & 1 part EO. It feels so lovely on my scalp and its not too thick.

giuditta
September 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Ok thank you.

I always do overnight treatments in the weekend too, don't have the energy to wash it out in the morning if I have to work :rolleyes:

LouLaLa
September 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Mine is starting to grow back too :) im a recovering hair loss and i used castor oil. I have been experiementing with different condish products too to find the ones i like. I'm going to try the Yes to Carrots next :) but my thin areas have thickened up and my hair is so soft and has grown over an inch in the last month :) i'm permanently goign to be on the castor wagon!

Thats amazing!

I love this stuff just like you I now consider this a "must have".

I use it on my hair and as a moisturiser. I even put a little in my foundation and my skin has never looked better.

How this stuff isnt more renowned ill never know because in my humble opinion its a miracle in a bottle!:p

autumn leaves
September 2nd, 2011, 04:08 AM
I applied some to my scalp for the first time last night. I was surprised at how heavy it was so got a bit worried about build up, but I think my poo bar removed everything this morning. I'm thinking of applying it all nights before wash day. Does that sound like a good plan??

PoliticalPilot
September 2nd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Ahhh, I need help!

I did this yesterday for the first time. I added about 1 tsp. Castor/1 tsp. Grapesee oild, with a few drops each of TeaTree Oil and Rosemary Oil. Massaged it in well with my fingertips; left for about four hours.
I washed it out by putting in some conditioner and massaging well, then adding a little shampoo (my normal Giovanni stuff). Rinsed super well, and did another light CO washing.

More than twice my normal hair fell out in the shower. Probably around 60 strands. I'm freaking out! I haven't even combed it yet==and that will make more come out.
I think it might be the conditioner washing--I think this happened when I tried it last time.
I really want to use the castor oil, but I can't afford to loose this much hair everytime.

CrisDee
September 2nd, 2011, 05:39 AM
PP, I wonder if the extra loss was just because it was your first time? So many on this thread have said that it has stopped their problem shedding. I'd try it more than once before giving up on it - but of course everyone's hair is different. :)

Lucky
September 2nd, 2011, 06:13 AM
I applied some to my scalp for the first time last night. I was surprised at how heavy it was so got a bit worried about build up, but I think my poo bar removed everything this morning. I'm thinking of applying it all nights before wash day. Does that sound like a good plan??

the night before a wash day sounds like a good plan. that's what I've been doing :)

autumn leaves
September 2nd, 2011, 06:25 AM
the night before a wash day sounds like a good plan. that's what I've been doing :)

Great, thanks :)

Jing
September 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ahhh, I need help!

I did this yesterday for the first time. I added about 1 tsp. Castor/1 tsp. Grapesee oild, with a few drops each of TeaTree Oil and Rosemary Oil. Massaged it in well with my fingertips; left for about four hours.
I washed it out by putting in some conditioner and massaging well, then adding a little shampoo (my normal Giovanni stuff). Rinsed super well, and did another light CO washing.

More than twice my normal hair fell out in the shower. Probably around 60 strands. I'm freaking out! I haven't even combed it yet==and that will make more come out.
I think it might be the conditioner washing--I think this happened when I tried it last time.
I really want to use the castor oil, but I can't afford to loose this much hair everytime.

It happened to me, too, and I've seen other people mention increased shedding after their first applications. I've done it three times now and the extra shedding stopped. It seems to be an adjustment thing.

PoliticalPilot
September 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you for your thoughts! I will give it another try or two. Maybe I'll try washing it out with shampoo/baking soda next time instead of conditioner.

Can I use baking soda w/ shampoo to wash it out? Will that be sufficient? And can I use ACV to "condition" afterwards?

giuditta
September 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
I used it on my eyelashes last night and you're right, no oily film!

Then I thought why not put some on the pimples I have at the moment, I left it overnight, and they had diminished to half their size this morning!:cheese:
Do you think I could use it over my whole face as a moisturizer?

This is really a miracle oil....

LouLaLa
September 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
I used it on my eyelashes last night and you're right, no oily film!

Then I thought why not put some on the pimples I have at the moment, I left it overnight, and they had diminished to half their size this morning!:cheese:
Do you think I could use it over my whole face as a moisturizer?

This is really a miracle oil....

I do and I dont have a beard yet :p I put a few drops in my foundation too so I can use it of a day as light moisture and I put lots of before bedtime as an intense skin treat. My skin has never been better.

I love this stuff to bits!

teal
September 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Thank you for your thoughts! I will give it another try or two. Maybe I'll try washing it out with shampoo/baking soda next time instead of conditioner.

Can I use baking soda w/ shampoo to wash it out? Will that be sufficient? And can I use ACV to "condition" afterwards?

Yes to both. I do BS/ACV as well. However, since I find BS very drying on my hair (and castor oil is also a bit drying), I also use conditioner to CO-wash it out.

ETA my after-oiling wash routine:
- oil, massage and leave in overnight under a shower cap and turbie/tuque
- rinse cold, massage scalp (to get sebum out of the glands)
- rinse warm (this starts moving the oils)
- BS scalp wash/rinse (dilution 1tbsp/2c water... note this is for my no-poo routine so that I don't strip all the sebum out of my hair. You can use 1tbsp/1c water for a stronger wash)
- CO scalp wash/rinse
- ACV scalp + lengths rinse
- cold water rinse to finish

It is a lot of oil to be washing out. The best way to wash out oil is with another oil, especially if you don't want to use a harsh detergent (which will also work). You might have some luck with oil washing (shampoo+oil) though I haven't tried that myself.

Another way to put castor oil on is with Pandora's formula (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html), which might be one way to lessen the handling of your hair while still getting the good of castor and essential oils. I'm going to try this formula in addition to a "regular" castor/EO treatment because it's a leave-in, and I don't want to be washing my hair more than once weekly.

giuditta
September 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
I do and I dont have a beard yet :p I !

Hahaha that made me laugh :D

But do you have oily skin too? Maybe only my type of skin will grow a beard :rolleyes:

LouLaLa
September 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hahaha that made me laugh :D

But do you have oily skin too? Maybe only my type of skin will grow a beard :rolleyes:

I have that T-Zone combination skin type, my chin is essentially an oilslick too (what a lovely image I create tralalala...) Im really fair and I just get red super easy.

The castor oil does seem to be helping though with my breakout areas though so I guess its ok on oily skin. To be honest I was surprised it worked for me as usually whenever I try any product my face flares up (Im allergic to so many things its a joke) but Castor oil is being very co-operative :)

I say give it a go and it you start to go wolverine then stick to your eyelashes instead.

I hope you have lots of success too :flower:

archel
September 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Just a note, some people who use castor oil for the oil cleansing method notice and increase of hair growth on their face! I'm scared to try it for that reason.

giuditta
September 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have that T-Zone combination skin type, my chin is essentially an oilslick too (what a lovely image I create tralalala...) Im really fair and I just get red super easy.

The castor oil does seem to be helping though with my breakout areas though so I guess its ok on oily skin. To be honest I was surprised it worked for me as usually whenever I try any product my face flares up (Im allergic to so many things its a joke) but Castor oil is being very co-operative :)

I say give it a go and it you start to go wolverine then stick to your eyelashes instead.

I hope you have lots of success too :flower:

Thanks, I will definately do it, thanks for all the explanations and the way you make me laugh haha :D

Just a note, some people who use castor oil for the oil cleansing method notice and increase of hair growth on their face! I'm scared to try it for that reason.

Aaaa I can't believe that! Maybe if you already have hair on your face? Then it could work like on your eyebrows...I have none fortunately....

giuditta
September 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I just found this on the hair subject by the way, like I thought where you have no hair no hair will appear...

http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html

LouLaLa
September 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I will definately do it, thanks for all the explanations and the way you make me laugh haha :D

Aaaa I can't believe that! Maybe if you already have hair on your face? Then it could work like on your eyebrows...I have none fortunately....

Thats my pleasure :) I wish you success :)

Heck maybe we can start a side burn/mutton chop beard trend- we will look like Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice but we will have amazing skin! Maybe not the best trade off :P

From what I know, it seems if you stop using it then the effects begin to wear off so if it looks like you get hair then just dont use it on those areas. Im sure there is a thread in the health and Body Beautiful all about Castor Oil, no doubt others have been through this journey and have far more sensible answers than moi :p

EDIT: From looking at your other post about it not growing if theres none there in the first place I am now VASTLY relived!

giuditta
September 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thats my pleasure :) I wish you success :)

Heck maybe we can start a side burn/mutton chop beard trend- we will look like Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice but we will have amazing skin! Maybe not the best trade off :P

Whahahahaha if I start looking luje Mr Darcy I will fall in love with myself, maybe that's the unknown side effect of castor oil :rolling:

SilverMcFly17
September 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
I've been using Castor Oil for the Oil cleansing method for a while now. I haven't ever had noticeable hair growth on my face and I still don't. It really helps control my confused skin. I also uses coconut oil as a moisturizer on my face without any breakout issues.

Lucky
September 5th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Has anyone else had problems with pimples on their scalp with CO? My scalp seems to be breaking out a lot and even seems like its dryer than usual (but I may need to switch shampoo to see if that's the culprit).
As far is growth is concerned, I seemed to get some good growth in August, I'll have to wait until the end of September to judge whether or not it really is helping my growth rate.

C.H.
September 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM
So, I had been applying the castor oil to my lashes using a mascara wand. Well, I got lazy lately and started just rubbing it over the lash area with the pad of my finger. It turns out, I don't seem to be getting as good results this way. I think the mascara wand reaches the roots of some of my lashes better than my fingertip does, as it really gets in there between the lashes and effectively pentrates both the upper and lower layers.

Cleopatra18
September 5th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I just baught some sulfur yesterday and plan on adding some to my castor oil mix. thing is Im not sure it is sublime sulfur. does anyone know how it is supposed to look like?

Zenity
September 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I am not sure if this question has been addressed before, but I don't feel like going through all this thread (I will, though :-)

Question is: Since castor oil is darkening but olive oil is lightening, do you think a 50:50 mix of both oils will counteract each other not getting darker or lighter hair?

Any experiences or thoughts to share?

Thnx!

ratgirldjh
September 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Anyone tried mixing some in with shampoo? I'm thinking of trying this for my chihuahua since I'm out of coconut oil.

ratgirldjh
September 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know if castor leaf also helps with hair growth? I have a hair oil with bhringrag and castor leaf in it and can't find information about castor leaf and hair. But it is an auryvedic oil for hair growth so I am hoping to get the same effects. It is in a mix of sesame, coconut, wheat germ oil and there are a couple of other herbs in it also.

ButterCream
September 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have a painfull ingrown hairfollicle on my scalp right now (been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis), and it was painfull and sore and swollen:(
When I get these they are painfull for at least a week. I got this one yesterday, and it is behaving as they usually do: giving me troubble!

I read quite a bit about castor oil, and thought to myself: What if I dabbed on a few drops of castoroil ON the bump? It couldn`t be any worse than it allready was?!

Well, now three hours have passed since I soaked the painfull area with the Castor oil, and the pain has subsided a LOT, the swelling has gone down and it has made a HUGE difference in how it feels.

So yeah, I agree with everyone who thinks this oil is highly underrated...:D

PoliticalPilot
September 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I really want to keep doing castor oil--the ladies here have convinced me it's worth it! :-)
However, I had a doozy of a time getting all the grease out of my hair. I tried shampoo, I tried CO-washing. It took me three days of washing each day, to get almost all the oil out.
I used the "natural" Tresseme conditioner and Giovanni shampoo, and then I tried baby shampoo rinsed with ACV.

Is there something else I should try? I normally only wash 2-3x a week. so this was rather frustrating. I don't want to give up though.

Zenity
September 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
What about diluting more the oil?
Either with a lighter oil like almond, or in a lower ratio. That could do the trick.

archel
September 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hmm, I'm not getting any permanent darkening from castor oil, only when it's on and my hair is saturated, but that happens with any oil. Once I wash it, it's the same color. FWIW, I use 50:50 castor and grapeseed.

PoliticalPilot
September 5th, 2011, 04:46 PM
What about diluting more the oil?
Either with a lighter oil like almond, or in a lower ratio. That could do the trick.

Oh, I did forget to mention that part! I'm sorry! :)

I diluted the castor oil 50/50 with grapeseed oil, and added a few drops each of Rosemary and TeaTree eo.
I don't have almond oil, but I do have apricot and avacado. Do you think either of those would be better? Oh, and coconut oil too.

Yame
September 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I just found this on the hair subject by the way, like I thought where you have no hair no hair will appear...

http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-uses-for-beautiful-skin-and-hair.html

But humans have hair everywhere, except the palms of hands/soles of feet, lips, etc.

Maktub
September 6th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Well, a have a small place without hair at all on my scalp :(

Zenity
September 6th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I am not familiar with apricot or grapeseed oil, I don't know how dense these oils are. But almond oil is fair light to me. Avocado and coconut are fine too.
Maybe instead of going for a new oil you should do something like a 25:75 and see how it goes/feels.

I wouldn't spend more money on oils considering you have plenty. I would simply try to find a formula that adjusts to my needs, either by switching oils or by lowing the ratio of CO used.

Cleopatra18
September 6th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Oh, I did forget to mention that part! I'm sorry! :)

I diluted the castor oil 50/50 with grapeseed oil, and added a few drops each of Rosemary and TeaTree eo.
I don't have almond oil, but I do have apricot and avacado. Do you think either of those would be better? Oh, and coconut oil too.
i dilute my oil with coconut oil. all the oils you have mentioned above i personally consider light oils that are good to dilute castor oil with. however, i personally prefer to use coconut oil because it can penetrate the hair shaft so it is more likely to absorb rather than just sit on top of my hair and remain greasy.
anyway, try mixing small amounts first like a couple of table spoons then try the mix this way. if it washes out easily, then you found the one that suits you best.
I also don't think it's a good idea for you to buy other oils before you try the ones you have first.

lillylonghair
September 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'm so excited!!! I finally order some oils from Vitacost and one of those is castor oil:D I also got some rosemary EO to add to my massgae mix as I like the smell and I know that it's good for your scalp. I am excited to see some results as I stopped using monistat (I always forget to buy it anyway) and I'm pretty sure I had some shedding when I stopped as I now have all of these short baby hairs all over the nape of my neck.

lillylonghair
September 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Oh I also got almond oil as my diluting oil. Has anyone else tried almond oil with castor?

YepLilly
September 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I'm wondering if castor oil will also work with receding hairlines in men :hmm:. I can't see why not.

Zenity
September 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
hmmmm... Depending on what is the factor for that receding line. If it's testosterone/hormones related I am afraid castor will not fix it, maybe it could slow down the process but I don't think it will totally fix it.

knoxkatie
September 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
But humans have hair everywhere, except the palms of hands/soles of feet, lips, etc.

The article says it affects only terminal hair (long and dark), not vellus (short and fine) hair.

teal
September 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM
i dilute my oil with coconut oil. all the oils you have mentioned above i personally consider light oils that are good to dilute castor oil with. however, i personally prefer to use coconut oil because it can penetrate the hair shaft so it is more likely to absorb rather than just sit on top of my hair and remain greasy.

Just wanted to add to this: avocado oil will also penetrate the hair shaft. I use it in my mix with some EOs and it works really well - leaves my hair looking and feeling fantastic!

giuditta
September 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have some sitting on my head tonight, mixed it with Dr Haushka Neem oil, and put coconut oil in my lengths...
I look very charming with a shower cap and headscarf on top, and can't hear anything cause it's all covering my ears :)

Anyway I was wondering, for the castor miracle girls, how much do you actually put on your head? I am using very little I noticed, I wonder if it's enough...:confused:

Cleopatra18
September 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I do not measure the amount but i think somewhere between one or two table spoons.

LouLaLa
September 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I do not measure the amount but i think somewhere between one or two table spoons.

I use about the same.

Once a week/fortnight I use about 4-5 tbsp, but thats when I do a really deep soak if I feel I need a extra bit of moisture.

Sometimes I just rub the slightest film of it round my hairline/temples if its the inbetween washes day. I have fair hair and it dosent make it greasy.

As youl have seen from my pics I got really good growth from this so it must be more than enough.

On a side note my hair has grown out heaps and my thin patch is all but gone. Pics to follow!

CrisDee
September 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I have gotten some GREAT growth using this stuff! I really think it's been an inch a month for the two months I've been using it! Haven't had time to take pictures, will try to do that soon. I've been using a mix of 50/50 EVOO and castor oil, with several drops each of lavender, geranium and rosemary EO's (rosemary is also supposed to promote growth, lavender & geranium smell nice). I've been using it 2-3 times a week for like 3 weeks out of the month, avoiding it for about a week after henna. Before bed, I pour a little puddle into my palm; I flip my head over, and then dip the fingers of my other hand in the puddle and rub it into my scalp til it's gone. I probably use about 2-3 teaspoons of it at a time. CO washing gets it all out the next morning - and it smells just heavenly all night long! :)

PoliticalPilot
September 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Well, I tried again last night. My hair still isn't dry so I can't tell for sure if it is greasy or not.
I used 50/50 Castor Oil and Avacado Oil.
I tried CO washing it out--we'll see if it worked once my hair is dry. :-/

When I combed it out this morning, it seemed like I was still shedding a fair amount which is discouraging. I want this to work so badly!!

ingvild
September 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I've been lurking in this thread for a while...and I finally decided to give it a try. I've ordered my oil, I just hope I can commit :) I plan to dilute it with evoo and wash it out with a shampoo bar. My hair could use some regular oilings, anyway, I think. :D

Fethenwen
September 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Jumping again on the oiling bandwagon, it's getting colder outside and me and my hair have now calmed down a bit, no more swimming in the sea, frying my hair in the sun and washing my hair with whatever. My hair has been through quite a lot this summer, I might even make a thread about it, lol.

Anyway, I have now time and patience for oiling again. I started a week ago, and it has really lessened shedding to minimum. My hair is now softer also, I have been washing it out with conditioner and sometimes a little shampoo on top of that. Also this stuff really made my scalp feel much calmer again, I hope I will stick to it and see some increased growth too!

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that I'm planning to make a castor oil/coconut oil blend with amla. I have dried amla which I will infuse it with.

julierockhead
September 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hi! Fascinated by this thread, and I have read quite a bit of it, but am daunted by the length, so if this has been asked and answered, my apologies.

I have been looking at all the castor oils in the interweb machine, and there are a lot...for those of you getting good growth and/or are happy with the results, what kind of castor oil are you using? Black Jamacian, in which the castor beans are roasted before pressing? Cold pressed organic? A local pharmacy brand (please specify store/brand name, I am in America).

Thank you!:flowers:

giuditta
September 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for your answers girls, that means I am using a normal amount :)

I think the shedding is often caused by the scalp massage, those hairs would have fallen anyway but were being held there by other hairs, once you massage they fall. So the oiling didn't cause the shedding.

O btw I want to try Co also to wash it out, up till now I shampood and conditioned but everytime I feel sorry to shampoo after having had all those wonderful oils in my hair first... Need to give it a try.

ButterCream
September 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Thank you for that info, then I realize I have been using waa-haha-aaaaaay too little! Like just a few drops in my scalp....:o

C.H.
September 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Hi! Fascinated by this thread, and I have read quite a bit of it, but am daunted by the length, so if this has been asked and answered, my apologies.

I have been looking at all the castor oils in the interweb machine, and there are a lot...for those of you getting good growth and/or are happy with the results, what kind of castor oil are you using? Black Jamacian, in which the castor beans are roasted before pressing? Cold pressed organic? A local pharmacy brand (please specify store/brand name, I am in America).

Thank you!:flowers:

I've just been using whatever generic sort they had in the safeway pharmacy (Walgreens had the exact same thing, but they kept theirs on the shelf...and charged 3 times as much.) I haven't tried any of the cold-pressed, organic speciality kinds that many others are using, but I'm still getting good results. Once this bottle runs out, I'm not sure if I want to stick with what is cheap and easily accessible from the nearby pharmacy or try one of those specialty castor oils.

Cleopatra18
September 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you for that info, then I realize I have been using waa-haha-aaaaaay too little! Like just a few drops in my scalp....:o
using a dropper is a great way of using alot more oil without causing your hair to be greasy. I can use over two spoons of oils on my scalp without getting a drop on the length of my hair.

Cleopatra18
September 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
BTW guys I have been reading on other forums on using the baggy method along with Castor oil to allow better absorption and stuff. some members also call it the green house effect. basically it is wearing a plastic cap over the hair with or without products which provides a warm temperature for the hair thus stimulating the hair follicles. it is also best recommended for dry hair i think.
i tried it a couple of times and it does feel great, like my hair got a deep treatment or something. it also gets sooo warm overnight that it feels like i am using my heat cap. does anyone has experience with this baggy thing?

Charybdis
September 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
So yesterday evening I tried using castor oil on my scalp for the first time. It may also be the last time. [Possible TMI follows.]

I used cold-pressed pure castor oil, diluted 1:6 with carrier oils (1 part castor oil, 3 parts coconut oil, 3 parts apricot kernel oil). I massaged about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto my scalp and through my hair, then let it sit for a few hours with my hair in a ponytail. Washed it out, no problem, and my scalp and hair felt really nice. In fact, my scalp still feels great today.

Now, before doing this treatment, I had seen a couple of people mention *ahem* digestive disturbances after using castor oil on their scalp. I had dismissed this as most likely being correlation without causation -- I know castor oil is a laxative when swallowed, but you couldn't possibly absorb enough through your scalp to have that effect, especially when using small amounts... right? Well, WRONG. Or so it seems. I had episodes of diarrhea (fortunately, minor ones) last night and this morning, and it took several doses of loperamide to make them stop. And that was just from using about half a teaspoon of castor oil (diluted in about a tablespoon of oil mixture) on my scalp. I definitely didn't have any kind of food poisoning (no fever, no vomiting, no serious cramping), and I didn't eat an unusual amount of fiber or anything with a laxative effect.

Now, I will say that I'm prone to occasional episodes of diarrhea, sometimes caused by stress and sometimes for no real reason at all, and I usually carry around anti-diarrheal tablets (loperamide) just in case it strikes without warning. Basically, I have very mild IBS; but one loperamide tablet will pretty much always stop an episode in its tracks. Not this time, though!

Looks like I'm going to have to take that bottle of castor oil back to Whole Foods.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying castor oil, because I know a lot of people get great results, but I would say that anyone with IBS might want to start with heavily diluted castor oil, not leave it on for more than 30 minutes or so, and do their first castor oil leave-in treatment at a time when they know they don't need to go anywhere the next day. Just sayin' -- best to be prepared in case your gut rebels.

Cleopatra18
September 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Charybdis, why don't you try it just one more time to be sure? even though everybody reacts different to products, it seems to me unlikely that this was caused by the Castor oil. I am not saying it's not possible, but i would personally give it one more shot before totally giving up on it. please try to wait few days then try it one more time. Castor oil is definitely one of my holy grail products now and I really hope it works for you as well. best of luck!

Finchen
September 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I am gonna start using Castor Oil, however only around my part where my hair is very thin. :rolleyes: I will use it every four days (before I wash my hair). Do you guys think this is enough to see any result? :)

Charybdis
September 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Charybdis, why don't you try it just one more time to be sure? even though everybody reacts different to products, it seems to me unlikely that this was caused by the Castor oil. I am not saying it's not possible, but i would personally give it one more shot before totally giving up on it. please try to wait few days then try it one more time. Castor oil is definitely one of my holy grail products now and I really hope it works for you as well. best of luck!

Hi, Cleopatra18, thanks for the feedback. I agree that it doesn't seem possible that castor oil applied to the scalp in such small quantities could affect your digestive tract -- but it sure seems like it did. I may try it again in a week or so if I can find a day when I can just stay at home if there are any unfortunate side effects. But, yeah, my digestive tract is really sensitive to anything that has a remotely laxative effect (best not to discuss what happens if I eat too many grapes or an entire large apple in one sitting!). I certainly don't think my reaction was typical, but I am curious to hear if other people with IBS have had similar experiences.

Yame
September 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM
So, I've decided to give this a shot. I did a 50/50 castor oil with grapeseed oil mix, and it's sitting on my hair right now.

I used a lot... probably much more than I should. I oiled up my entire scalp and massaged it, and then combed the oil through my length. Then put my hair up in a high bun and wrapped it in plastic, then put on a cap over it. I'll be heading to sleep as soon as I am done posting this...

It'll probably be a PITA to remove tomorrow, but aside from that I am looking forward to seeing how my hair looks and feels. I've never oiled my hair like this before, so it's a new experience in every way.

Tonight while oiling I experienced a lot of shedding. I haven't washed my hair since last Friday, so it's normal for me to shed a lot on these last days before wash day (I wash once a week), when I brush my hair. I shed a lot on the days I wash my hair... and today while oiling I seem to have shed about as much hairs as I do on a wash day when I haven't washed in 5-7 days. So I am hoping that my shedding tomorrow when I wash it won't be as massive.

Because I only wash my hair once a week, and don't like oils as leave-ins, and because these things are time-consuming and I have very little time and patience, I plan to only use the castor oil once a week, the night before wash day, and leaving it in overnight. I am hoping that once a week will be enough to see some results.

I'd like to see my hair grow faster. If the oil also helps decrease my shedding and darken my hair, I will be happy too. If my shedding increases I will have to stop, since I shed a lot already.

Yesterday I measured my growth from the past 2 months (8 weeks, to be exact), and my hair grew 1 inch. This is a pretty exact measurement, since I dyed my hair 8 weeks ago and measured the actual root. I guess that's pretty average growth, and I had thought my hair grew far below average... it certainly doesn't look like it grew a whole inch. But now I know exactly how much it grew and will be able to measure my growth with the castor oil experiment, so I will know whether or not it works.

krissykins
September 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM
does anyone has experience with this baggy thing?

I wear a shower cap over my treatment when I leave it in overnight. It definitely helps the oil absorb better than leaving the treatment over my head during the day with no cap. :)

julierockhead
September 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM
It'll probably be a PITA to remove tomorrow, but aside from that I am looking forward to seeing how my hair looks and feels. I've never oiled my hair like this before, so it's a new experience in every way.

Because I only wash my hair once a week, and don't like oils as leave-ins, and because these things are time-consuming and I have very little time and patience, I plan to only use the castor oil once a week, the night before wash day, and leaving it in overnight. I am hoping that once a week will be enough to see some results.

Yesterday I measured my growth from the past 2 months (8 weeks, to be exact), and my hair grew 1 inch. This is a pretty exact measurement, since I dyed my hair 8 weeks ago and measured the actual root. I guess that's pretty average growth, and I had thought my hair grew far below average... it certainly doesn't look like it grew a whole inch. But now I know exactly how much it grew and will be able to measure my growth with the castor oil experiment, so I will know whether or not it works.

I have found that a conditioner wash (pre-shampoo if you shampoo) is the key to removing oils, although I have only done heavy oilings with olive oil and coconut oil.
It is going to be interesting to see if your growth improves with just once a week application. I will be eagerly watching your results!

PoliticalPilot
September 9th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Agh, my hair is still a greasy, greasy mess from two nights ago when I oiled. I washed it with diluted conditioner (Giovanni) and let it set for a while, then massaged it in again and rinsed it very very well. Then I did another quick wash with more diluted conditioner.

What am I doing wrong??? Please help! I want this to work, but I cant stand looking like an oil slick for two days.

Cleopatra18
September 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Agh, my hair is still a greasy, greasy mess from two nights ago when I oiled. I washed it with diluted conditioner (Giovanni) and let it set for a while, then massaged it in again and rinsed it very very well. Then I did another quick wash with more diluted conditioner.

What am I doing wrong??? Please help! I want this to work, but I cant stand looking like an oil slick for two days.
maybe your conditioner is too rich already? I had this happen to me when I used a rich conditioner/mask to remove the oil and found out the oil was not properly removed. if possible, try to use a cheaper conditioner that is high in surfactants rather than conditioning agents. or you instead of diluted cowash, you could apply the conditioner full strength before your shower and leave it for a longer time (30 mins or more).
things I found that work with me best is rinsing my hair with running water only for at least ten minutes before applying conditioner. somehow doing this helps remove alot of oil. also, I have been using herbal essences conditioners for so long to co wash and I find they are good at removing oils. I tried the same techniques with heavier products as alter ego, vatika deep conditioner and les karite mask and they never seem to work.
btw in my experience, castor oil is a lot easier to wash out than olive oil.