PDA

View Full Version : New and trying to grow hair out.

girly_girl
March 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I got my hair cut a few years ago. It used to be done to the bottom of my back. Well I got it cut into the style where it was spiked out in the back. Well I have been working on growing it out and had almost got it to my shoulders. Well last week I went to get a trim because me and my husband were going out for the first time in 10 years without the kids. Well I ended up getting messed up. My hair is as short as a mans in the back...it's cut to where it stacks in the back and is chin length on in the front, or sides. One side is still longer than the other. I am so upset over this and am now starting all over again. I have started taking some Hair, skin, and nails vitamins. My hair only grows about a 1/2 in. a month, and I would love to know what to do to maximize my hair growth. I have started using Regis Salons Design line Cashmere Kera-forte shampoo and conditioner. I have thick, wavy hair and it's color treated, I am hoping someone will have some suggestions on what will help me. It makes me sick to my stomach that I have to start all over again. I also have to use a flat iron on my hair because of it being wavy and short. I have been trying to limit that to every 2 days. I am open to any suggestions or advice you all can offer. I greatly appreciate it!

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hi girly_girl, and welcome!

I started with very short, spiky hair myself (2" all over) and really the very best couple of things you can do are:

1. Have patience.
2. No heat styling.
3. Have more patience.
4. Find creative things to do with your hair that don't involve heat. Nice clips, maybe some aloe-vera gel to scrunch it with to max out your waves?
5. Treat your hair like it's made of antique lace. Be really gentle with it.

Oh, and have LOTS more patience! Growing out from really short means you're going to go through some seriously awful awkward stages and you'll be tempted to cut at every turn. Don't. If you really want long hair, it's a time thing and you just have to take really good care of your hair and wait it out.

Good luck to you!

girly_girl
March 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks so much! I've been trying to use headbands so that I don't have to use heat. The shampoo I got has protein in it, is that ok? Do I use regular aloe Vera gel, Like for sunburns? When my hair was about shoulder length I was wearing it scrunched because it looked ok like that. I really hope this time next year my hair grows at least 6 inches. I have also picked up some Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner to try. My hair is really dry and I need moisture.

DecafJane
March 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Girly girl, there is a lot of great advice all over the forum here about how to care for your hair, so it is great that you have arrived - welcome, and I'm sorry about your awful experience with the stylist!
There are a lot of people here growing out very short hair (including myself). I found that the best thing for me to do style-wise was wear lots of headbands/scarves until it got to the point where I could pull it back. If your layers at the front are longer (as they sound) then you are luckier than you could have been. as you'll be able to pull it back much faster than if it had been an all-over pixie cut.
Get lots of little clips and bands and be creative in the meantime!
I'm not sure what works best for your hair product-wise, as there are so many ways you can go. Keep it moisturised (oils/soaks/whatever works best) and keep away from the hair iron if you can.
Islandgrrls advice is most excellent.
Good luck!

doodlesmart
March 26th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks so much! I've been trying to use headbands so that I don't have to use heat. The shampoo I got has protein in it, is that ok? Do I use regular aloe Vera gel, Like for sunburns? When my hair was about shoulder length I was wearing it scrunched because it looked ok like that. I really hope this time next year my hair grows at least 6 inches. I have also picked up some Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner to try. My hair is really dry and I need moisture.

Yup, aloe vera gel like for sunburns, just make sure to get the clear pure aloe vera gel. If it smells like anything at all, then it's the wrong stuff. You can use it just like hair gel, but it isn't drying and combs out nicely.

As far as the protein goes, it seems to depend on individuals' hair. Some hair hates protein and gets brittle and icky from it, some hair loves protein, and some hair likes a little protein. As an example (by no means will this necessarily apply to you), my hair likes protein occasionally, so I use protein about once a month on it. So just use it and see how your hair does.

The best advice is not to try too much all at once. Try one new thing for a while and see how it goes. If something isn't working, you want to be able to know what it is, and same if something is working, but if you start too many new things at once you'll never know what's helping or causing problems for your hair. There is a lot of information here and it can be a little overwhelming, but just take your time and in the mean time be kind to your hair.

I would recommend trying to figure out your hair type and then keeping an eye on users with similar hair types to yours. There is a lot of variation within the hair types, but it's a good place to start looking for ideas.

Oh yeah, and Welcome to LHC!:waving:

girly_girl
March 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful info. How do you find out what your hair type is? I do know that my stylist said that she couldn't razor cut my hair because of the texture of it, that it would frizz.

girly_girl
March 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ok I went to a website and checked out hair type. I know for sure I'm a 2...I think 2c because I have thick hair. How can I find others with 2c hair?

doodlesmart
March 26th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Go to the "Members List" tab at the top of the page and click on the Search Members box (upper right hand), then go to advanced search. Scroll down a bit and you can search by hair type.

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Such great advice from everyone.