PDA

View Full Version : Trims and what not?

kpowell04
January 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
How often are you supposed to trim your hair or is their a specific amount of time? I am notorious for going MONTHS without getting my hair cut. I got it cut in March 2008, July 2008, and last weekend Jan 3, 2009. Usually I just go when I get good and ready to.

Debra83
January 8th, 2009, 12:02 AM
When I notice lots of "frizz" and drier or crunchier ends - I trim them before they split and travel up the hair shaft. Kinda like a spider plant that starts going dry at the ends of the leaf.

OhioLisa
January 8th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I am not really convinced about the "splits traveling up the shaft" bit. I went nearly 2 years without trims until the one I had in August. I have no plans for another. S&D only for me. :)

jojo
January 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM
The longest i have been without a trim was 2 years. I am now on a years no cutting just s & ding.

Samikha
January 8th, 2009, 05:21 AM
How often are you supposed to trim your hair or is their a specific amount of time? I am notorious for going MONTHS without getting my hair cut. I got it cut in March 2008, July 2008, and last weekend Jan 3, 2009. Usually I just go when I get good and ready to.

I had to giggle a little at this. Months? Some of the members haven't had a cut for many years. That's not terribly unusual here, but many snip off individual split ends (S&D). There's no specific time amount. If your hair starts to knot at the ends and no amount of TLC helps it, or if they look bad, then I'd say it's time for a trim. Myself I often go half a year without a hair cut.

HairColoredHair
January 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I haven't gone for a haircut since... um... well... probably four years now? Or so? More? I forget.

I do some S&D when I remember to, but beyond that, if your hair doesn't need a cut, why cut it?

I love the look of natural ends, so uneven hair doesn't bother me.

Amoretti
January 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I haven't had a real trim in years. I do microtrims instead, every 3-4 months. This means just taking off the very tips of my hair to neaten it up. If you trim a lot you won't see a lot of growth.

maluszek
January 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I'd say it depends on your goals. If you're aiming for the length no matter what, then no trim at all. I usually get my ends cut when the longest hairs are very very thin and I just trim them to thicken up a bit. It's usually once a year. But some people dont mind thin ends and have no cut at all..

Christina
January 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm shooting for hair health. If my ends start to look scraggly I'll get a tiny trim to neaten then up. *fingers-crossed* All looks good right now!
If your hair looks and feels good, IMHO it seems there would be no reason to trim.

relizabeth
January 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I've gone a year without trimming before and it wasn't a problem. No visible splits or anything...kinda shaggy though! LOL

Euphony
January 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I try to keep my trimming on a schedule. Every 6 months I 1/4" trimmed. I've not found that I need to do it more often than that (I can't do S&D, any splits run and hide whenever I grab the scissors). I notice about the 5 month from a trim that my ends feel rougher than normal, they don't tangle due to it though so I go ahead and wait that one more month and go get a trim at the 6th month.

socks
January 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I don't find trims to be especially neccesary. I haven't trimmed my hair in what? Eight years now? Your hair gradually starts to fairytale (that means that your hemline goes from shaped to more natural-looking), but it's a nice look once you get past the awkward stage in between a shaped and a fairytale hemline. If splits are a problem, you can always do some S&D.

harpgal
January 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I like to keep my hemline as full as possible, so I trim every three months. If I am allowing it to lengthen, I only trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. If I am maintaining, I trim one inch off. Because I am a wavy, my hemline looks very natural.

Sissy
January 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know how often you're supposed to have a trim but I've been over a year without one and hope to have one soon. I tried S & D a few nights on my hair but the splits I cut off just seem to be returning!!! Yikes!

sneakybea
January 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Right now I'm focusing on maintenance, rather than growing, and keeping the ends full. When they start to feel dry or look thin, I trim them using Feye's self-trimming method. A stylist actually told me once that my wavy hair makes it difficult to tell how even the ends are, so I don't worry about that too much. While I don't like my hair being shorter (right now I'm obsessing over my latest trim), I love the plumper feeling the ends have after being trimmed.

happymommy
January 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm trying to remove several inches of damage and layers, so I trim about an inch every 3 months. This is about a third of my growth totalled, so while I'm losing an inch, I'm still gaining 2.

Xandergrammy
January 9th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I haven't had a trim in over 12 years.

jel
January 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM
There's a lot of people on LHC who think that you're only supposed to have a trim when (and if) you want to. Some have joined the No-Trimming Club (link in my siggy).

I haven't had a trim in over 12 years.

Me, only 3 and a half... :D

JamieLeigh
January 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I don't have a specific time period that I use as a guideline for trimming. I have mirrors that never move, in the bathroom, specifically for the purpose of seeing what I'm styling from behind, and I can sort of keep an eye on it that way. If it looks like it's starting to get uneven, I let it keep for a couple of weeks, then trim the over-the-line hairs. (that time period is just to make sure I'm not trimming off all my new growth as well as the uneven bits!) As for split ends, I do S&D whenever I happen to notice a stray hair with a split...which has been WAY less often since "lurking" around here at LHC. :cheese:

JamieLeigh
January 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I don't find trims to be especially neccesary. I haven't trimmed my hair in what? Eight years now? Your hair gradually starts to fairytale (that means that your hemline goes from shaped to more natural-looking), but it's a nice look once you get past the awkward stage in between a shaped and a fairytale hemline. If splits are a problem, you can always do some S&D.

I plan on stopping the trims once I reach classic...which should be in just a couple of inches! My personal preference is that I should keep it straight at the bottom until it hits thigh. I love the "fairytale" descriptor...that's exactly what long, untrimmed hair brings to mind! I SO can't wait!! :D

kpowell04
January 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, well, thanks-- I always thought it was healthier to get your hair trimmed but I dont feel so bad now seeing that most of you havent trimmed in a REALLY long time! I have REALLY thick hair so I have to get the layers put back in it every now and then.. I dont typically cut a lot off the length b.c I like the length!

Roseate
January 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I've always had my hair trimmed every 6 months, grew it from chin to waist that way, then cut back to chin last year.

I'm getting impatient with the growth rate this time though, so I'm trying to stretch it out- I'm about a month past my usual trim time. My hair grows rather unevenly, so the ends are a little annoying, but I really don't see any splits, so I'm going to hold out a bit longer.