PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that hair grows faster during certain seasons of the year?

backtolonghair
January 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have been hearing this alot on this board, about how some people's hair grows faster in the summer than in the winter or vica versa... I"m curious.. My hair, for me seems to grow faster when there is more sunlight..(ie spring, summer) but maybe that's just my imagnation. Is it true? Do the seasons and sunlight affect hair growth?

vindo
January 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Mine doesn't. ^^

Some studies suggest it grows faster in Winter, but people tend to say it is summer.

I assume it could just be a lower stress level and better sleep in the prefered season ;)

MountainGypsy
January 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I started paying attention to such things only since I joined LHC. I have noticed for the past few years that for me, my hair grows fastest between January to about May. Strange... and I have no idea why! :confused:

mommy101405
January 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Mine grows a little faster and is quite a bit oilier in the winter. Don't know if there is a correlation between the two or not but thats what i have noticed.

feralnature
January 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have never paid enough attention to my own hair, I will now that I am a member here...but my farm animals put on heavier coats in the winter, then shed out a bit in the summer....perhaps humans follow a similar pattern?

sahiba
January 7th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I too have heard such things but feel no difference with them.

OhioLisa
January 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Mine doesn't. ^^

Some studies suggest it grows faster in Winter, but people tend to say it is summer.

I assume it could just be a lower stress level and better sleep in the prefered season ;)

What an interesting idea. It certainly makes sense!

kpowell04
January 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I have never noticed which season the hair on my hear grows faster.. But I know after I shave if I get cold my leg hairs grow.. i get little what do you call it..... you know what I mean!

Pierre
January 8th, 2009, 12:37 AM
There is someone here who did a study on this. The result was that hair growth is correlated with seasons, but I don't remember whether it is with day length or with temperature, which lags day length by six weeks, IIRR.

Athanéis
January 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM
My hair definitly grows faster in spring and summer, but I also shed more hair from April to October. During winter it grows very slow, but the shedding almost stops. No matter what I do, it has always been like this for me.

There is someone here who did a study on this. The result was that hair growth is correlated with seasons, but I don't remember whether it is with day length or with temperature, which lags day length by six weeks, IIRR.

I think it has to do with day length, because the longest day is exactly in the middle of my faster growth period. In October I was in SE Asia, but it didn't grow faster and I didn't shed a lot, so my hair did not react to the much higher temperature.

jojo
January 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
My hair grows a lot quicker in winter, in fact last year it stalled in summer. It is normally said hair grows quicker on average in summer, i personally think this is not to do with heat but more to do with longer, lighter days why a lot grow quicker in summer. However, the main thing I have noticed is I get an avearage of 6-7" a year growth which is all that matters really.

Arctic
January 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I have now been measuring my growth for about year and half and it seems to be growing very steadily all year around. I personally kind of like it :)

But yes I've read many people have this experience that hair grows quicker during X season(s).

jivete
January 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Last year, my hair seemed to really grow from February to April. This is the first time I've paid attention to it, but it did seem to slow down this fall and now it's picking back up.

lora410
January 8th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I think so. My hair goes nuts in the summer time. I practically get all 6 inches of my year then. Now with winter I am getting 1/4 inch a month..blah

Dientje
January 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Mine grows very slowly during the winter. It is drier and breaks a lot easier, so winter is very frustrating for me. In the summer and autumn it grows much faster. I don't know why. I like the theory that this has to do with lower stress levels due to season preference, but I also like the winter very much! Maybe it is ineed, like suggested, just the warmth and the hours of daylight.

METABUZZ
January 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I don't think there's any relation on the season because deppending on which part of the world you leave, the weather, etc... can be quite different in spite of the season. Maybe we should correlate the growing with physical variables as temperature, sun exposure, etc...

lora410
January 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
My hair grows a lot quicker in winter, in fact last year it stalled in summer. It is normally said hair grows quicker on average in summer, i personally think this is not to do with heat but more to do with longer, lighter days why a lot grow quicker in summer. However, the main thing I have noticed is I get an avearage of 6-7" a year growth which is all that matters really.

I agree. It is warm here all year round and my hair doesn't spped grow all year.

Fluke
January 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I haven't noticed any difference in growth rate with my own hair depending on season, but there are good reasons for good hair growth in both summer and winter in my opinion.
Most people are usually more active in summer time, resulting in increased circulation, and just warm weather alone will have a positive effect on circulation.
In winter we sleep a lot more, and I know that in my case deep sleep is paramount to hair growth :)

burns_erin
January 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
You might want to take a look at the measure ins threads under polls&projects. You might see some patterns. Personally, my hair appears to grow faster in the summer. I was getting about an inch a month, but now I am only getting about a quarter of an inch.

maunaloa
January 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
My hair is like the trees - I shed in fall/winter and get better growth in spring/summer.:)

paper
January 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I've only been measuring my hair for few months. My hair was growing half inch a month, then in Dec. it grew 1 inch! I'll measure my hair Feb 1st to see how Jan went. Maybe my hair does grow faster in the winter. :hmm:

Pegasus Marsters
January 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
I have fast growth and no difference in growth rate dependant on season. Yay!

Aisha25
January 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
My hair grows when they feel like it whether hot or cold it does what it wants:)

Moiraine
February 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
My hair has always grown faster in the summer. My theory is that in the heat and humidity your scalp works overtime and in my case because I sweat a lot in my head my scalp gets greasy very fast. I could wash my hair everyday because my scalp feels so disgusting. In the cold months my hair grows, but much slower. I always say, after putting up with the hot and sticky summer weather, I will get a nice surprise in my hair growth when I take a good look at it.

Come to think of it, my hair stays up all summer because it's way too hot for me to wear it out. Maybe that's why it seems to grow more, in a protective style I don't lose much of my hem!!!! Anyway, that's just the way I see it. I guess hair pretty much does as it pleases when it comes to growth but I also believe you can help it grow faster and stronger by eating right and being in general good health:)

spidermom
February 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Since July 2008, I have kept records and my hair has grown a steady 2/3 inch per month.

Oskimosa
February 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I did a poll on this a while back, asking when members thought their hair slowed or stalled growth. Based on answers and other things I've read here, I think emotional state has more to do with it than weather, although many many other factors come in to play with hair growth. Lots of people feel happier in warmer months, what with the longer days, more fun outdoor activities, vacations, etc. I really think there is something of a link to hair growth and happiness.

But that's just what I've gathered .. :)

RavennaNight
February 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well, I am a drastic-change color person. I dye blonde hair black with henndigo. So I see roots. A lot. :p I have measured them in approximate 4 week intervals, right before I am about to henna my hair, and so far, Summer, Fall, and Winter : .5" per month. Aside from a slight slowing in December, a teensy bit less than .5, more like .4. I have only been watching since August-ish. I have yet to see if it will increase between winter and summer. I am also taking hair vits, and it ain't growin' any faster.

Angellen
February 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
When I first joined LHC, I had a huge growth spurt (well, not huge, but I was easily pumping out .75"+ each month). I averaged about 8 inches my first year. Now, my hair grows approximately .5" per month, which I attribute to the length now--tailbone and beyond are much more hazardous lengths than BSL or waist, in my opinion. I notice little change in my hair during the seasons, but maybe that will change with my new environment. :shrug:

Aditi
February 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I don't think that season is affecting my hair growth. So this theory is not working for me.

going gray
February 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM
This is a really interesting topic, I personally have been getting the 1/2 a month all year around. Happy to be normal!

Zindell
February 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
My hair is like the trees - I shed in fall/winter and get better growth in spring/summer.:)

My hair used to be like that except for this last fall and winter.
I have been eating a large dose of Vitamin D3 (4000 IU/day) due to getting tired and slightly depressed during the dark nordic months.

Not sure it's the D-vitamins but I have hardly shed any hair this fall/winter and it seems my hair has grown a lot more than usual.:ponder:

And I haven't been as tired and not depressed at all. :sun:

cani
February 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM
my hair grows faster in autumn and winter. also i noticed that i lose more hair a few weeks in autumn.
i ever heared it had to grow faster in SUMMER and thought my hair is a freak!:D
emi´s theory is interesting. my favourite season is autumn.

punky
February 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I've noticed my hair has growing spurts and then it seems it doesn't grow at all. :( No matter what time of the year it is. I really cant explain it.

SimplyLonghair
February 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I did a poll on this a while back, asking when members thought their hair slowed or stalled growth. Based on answers and other things I've read here, I think emotional state has more to do with it than weather, although many many other factors come in to play with hair growth. Lots of people feel happier in warmer months, what with the longer days, more fun outdoor activities, vacations, etc. I really think there is something of a link to hair growth and happiness.

But that's just what I've gathered .. :)
I think that I agree with Oskimosa, I think that emotions and health have more to do with hair growth than anything. My averages out at about .5 to .7 per month but it varies in its variation. Some years the growth is better in summer and sometimes in winter. So, :shrug: