PDA

View Full Version : Old-Style Coils How-To????

Peggy E.
January 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Why is it I can't find instructions on these from the 1920's and 1930's, even some in the '40's? They're all over the place in pictures, silent movies, early talkies - those low-placed coils that go across the back of the head.

Anything from the period seems to be aimed at how to live with your newly cut bob. Anything for long hair is keyed towards the fancier styles, or how to do marcel waves, that sort of thing. I figure the coiled style I'm seeking instructions for is something so ubiquitous there's no wasting print space with it, as everyone knows how - some sort of innate genetic thing, or something....

My absolute favorites are found on the head of Anne Harding. I even dug up a site where she's written an ancient magazine article on hair care. You can imagine my excitement! And my disappointment as I read about rinsing, drying, blah, blah, blah.

No styling instructions at all....

Any help out there? Please???

Girltron
January 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I always imagined they weren't much different from the knots we do with hairsticks, but using pins instead. Ann Harding's one of my hair idols!

coppercurls
January 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Like these?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Coppercurls1969/anha5.jpg

I can get curls like that from medium to large rollers. I position the rollers horizontally around my head. I also roll the hair away from my face. HTH;)

GlassEyes
January 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Actually, it looks like you might be able to use Manderly's drying technique to get them. Just don't untwist the coils, and put more in?

Otherwise I think you may have to use heat or rollers...

intothemist1999
January 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Do you mean where the hair is combed down, then the ends look like they've been wrapped on a stick (let's pretend) and rolled up too the nape of the neck?

eta: ok, I think I read the OP too fast and missed it..I think we ARE on teh same wavelength.

I googled:
hair styles 1940's roll ends - no luck

hair styles 1930's roll ends (I searched the images)

which brought up this, with instructions!
http://www.joeri.net/retro/fashion/hairstyle1.htm

http://www.joeri.net/retro/fashion/40dameskapselsmall.jpg

Peggy E.
January 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
It's not the "sausage rolls" I'm thinking of. That picture of the 1940's style is a little more like I'm referring to, only without the side rolls.

I'll see if I can find an example. Too bad I can't get the back of Ann Harding's head! Doesn't she have gorgeous hair?! How cool, too, that someone knows and likes her hair - no one around here even has a clue who she is!

cami_henderson
January 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
they are called finger waves.

just google how to

alligatorbaby23
January 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I was thinking pincurls?

They take a long time. Got instructions from an older lady when i worked in long term care.

Blow dry out hair. ( or you can do it wet also, just takes longer)
Then begin at the crown/forehead and segment areas about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter.
Proceed to twist hair until it curls on it own.
Place against scalp. pin in place. (looks like a spiral)
Repeat on one hemisphere.
To do the other side, you want to twist alternate of the first.

I figure the trick is to have #1 straighter hair and #2 to have relatively thin hair.

The woman told me that it takes hours to put in, and if wet. more hours to dry. Most women work pincurls, still pinned as a style.
I would love to do this. but ouch! So time consuming.

If you endeavor on this, Peggy E. you best post pictures! I have been told pincurls are a family project, that is that it takes more than one person to do them.
That said, I am sure that your hairtype would allow it, and it would look AMAZING on you!

-mao y legz

Roseate
January 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's not the "sausage rolls" I'm thinking of. That picture of the 1940's style is a little more like I'm referring to, only without the side rolls.

I'll see if I can find an example. Too bad I can't get the back of Ann Harding's head! Doesn't she have gorgeous hair?! How cool, too, that someone knows and likes her hair - no one around here even has a clue who she is!

Have you seen this thread? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=359639) The style Sunny is wearing in the first post looks like what I think you're describing.

There's a picture of Ann Harding in post #4 on that thread, but in that picture it just looks like she's wearing a low wrapped bun of some kind, not a roll.

mrs carol
January 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I agree Ann Harding has lovely hair. I know who she is. In fact I was watching a movie with her in it just last night called It Happened on Fifth Avenue.

Girltron
January 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I think Ms. Harding did many things with her hair in the movies, depending on the part, but I often see photos of her with a low wrapped or coiled bun, something of a potato shape (horizontally) rather than round, you know? And soft finger waves throughout the crown area.

I'm still considering trying it, but the wave clamps I bought aren't going to be possible to sleep in, they're all metal and horrid.

The article she wrote mentioned wave COMBS and that sounds a lot more workable. Wish I knew where to find something like that.

Peggy E.
January 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
And sometimes it was like the "Infinity" only more on the order of two longish buns - your "potato" comparison is dead-on - rather than the swirled connection.

My hair now forms natural waves, though they could benefit from some form of "taming" to make them more evident - that is, if I wanted them more evident! - but I'm not sure how to do that back wad-business.

This has got to be a style that girls had instilled in them at birth, it's everywhere and yet there are no true instructions.

I'm afraid my "coil" headed this off in the wrong direction. It's not really the "rolls" that I'm looking for, though I have the "cheaters" for them and this is certainly a most popular style for the era.

I'm after that double-potato thing, even single potato, if all else fails!

Peggy E.
January 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I agree Ann Harding has lovely hair. I know who she is. In fact I was watching a movie with her in it just last night called It Happened on Fifth Avenue.

Turner Classic Movies is making "Double Harness" available for the first time in DVD. If it's not too much $$$$, I'm hoping to grab it up....and study her hair!!!!

intothemist1999
January 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM

I think that style is worked in 3 sections, then the sides blended in. I guess you could leave those brushed down and incorporated also into the back.

darkwaves
January 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Potato rolls! I would love to see a sketch of this style, Peggy! I can't even imagine it.