PDA

View Full Version : different width on one same hair (???)

iriska
January 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone !

I noticed something on my hair: sometimes i see one hair with different width on the same hair. some areas on the hair being "thicker" than others....i hope it's not too unclear
why do you think is that? and do you have any solution to suggest?

thanks for helping me out !! :confused:

Amara
January 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
A hair that has never been trimmed, split, or broken off will taper toward the bottom... but chemical damage can also make individual strands thinner so you might have variations in thickness if some of your length is damaged and some not.

iriska
January 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
well actually, what i meant is that the hair gets thiner at some point, then wider, then thiner, it's not just a "fining ends" thing ...

Angellen
January 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I have some hairs like this. They are usually solid black and coarse (as opposed to my more dominant M, deep plumy chocolate haircolor). I'm not sure of any solution, really, as mine are few and far between, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in that. :)

lora410
January 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
yup, yup, yup I get this to. I have no clue where it comes from

iriska
January 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
yes i also confirm they are the coarser darker ones...
really weird!
anyone has an idea where that comes from (and how to prevent it!)?

Wouter
January 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
got them too, at some spots many of them

HairColoredHair
January 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I get them as well... sometimes they are pitch black, quite rough, and very coarse, despite most of my head being almost blonde, smooth, and medium.

nicolezoie
January 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM
My initial thought was that it's due to a curly hair that's been pressed/stretched/damaged straight, but the shape of the hair shaft itself hasn't been altered. I noticed by all of you who showed your hair types that it DOES vary since there were straighties through curlies in the responses. But the OP - I'd bet it's where the hair is curling which is making the hair shaft change widths. Being a wavy with some portions of very curly, I notice this on myself.

Arctic
January 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I have these too. Like nicolezoie I think it might have something to do with wave. But I did have them before too when my hair was straight, though now I have more of them. Before I started growing my hair I usually plugged them off and I don't do that anymore but the texture really bothers me... I just try to keep my hands away from my hair.

Anje
January 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I get these too, especially on the unusually dark, course hairs again.

It could definitely have something to do with a wave/curl pattern. I wonder if it also has anything to do with your health at the time that the hair was growing. It would be difficult to determine, but perhaps the thinner sections are from periods of illness or not eating quite right. I doubt this is the case for everyone, though -- I certainly don't get sick for as long as these hairs would indicate.

Tap Dancer
January 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
When I had bangs, the left side was thinner than the right side. It was always like that. You can't tell that any area is thinner now that my hair is all one length, though.

iriska
February 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
ok so i'm not sure how correct this is but i was watching "the experts: manhattan" (maybe this serial has another name in the us i don't know) and they said one of the supsects had trichonodosis which happened to people who had curly hair, and was the formation of knots on a single hair, and the variation of the width of hair on one hair....i looked up trichodonosis and it confirmed the info on the knot thing but not in the variation of hair...
thought it was still interesting info :)

(and ahhh what you can learn from watching too much tv lol)

Bene
February 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
started a thread about this a little while ago. i have a patch of coarse hair in my nape area. feels gross and most of my split ends tend to be there :(

Carolyn
February 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes I find a hair now and then that's thick and thin. I have no idea why. Actually I've never wondered why :D I just accept that I'll have a few hairs like that and don't think much about it.

Juneii
February 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
ahh yes, I found a few of those too, but since my hair is black it's hard to see. I remember finding one when I was young, I was so happy for a moment because I thought my hair was turning curly XD

RavennaNight
February 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have these on some hairs. I thought it was old flatiron damage.

Tap Dancer
February 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
You know what? I replied already, but I got your question all wrong. You're talking about strands of hair and I was talking about an area of hair. So to answer your question (sorry), yes, I have some strands that start out normal and get thinner along the way.

BubbleDragon
February 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I had a friend in college with beautiful long curly hair. You could see patterns in her hair, lighter, darker, etc, in perfect bands from her scalp. She could tell you, "Oh that was such and such class or semester," depending on the band, and chalked it up to stress.

I have thick and thin areas, too, but since they're not all across the board at the same length, I usually chalk it up to rough handling or stretching.

I dunno!

PurpleAshes
February 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have these on some hairs. I thought it was old flatiron damage.
I have this, and I too think it's flat iron damage, since I don't see it in healthy strands of hair.

Delilah
February 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
My greys are very coarse and feel bumpy or uneven and do not like to lie down even though the rest of my hair is fine, smooth and thin.

Anje
February 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I have this, and I too think it's flat iron damage, since I don't see it in healthy strands of hair.

It can't all be flat iron damage. I don't believe any of my length has ever seen a curling iron, and I've never touched a flat iron.

WavyGirl
February 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I don't know if they're caused by waves or damage. I do know that in my hair they seem to cause tangles so I've taken to trimming them out. I just start at the top of the strand and run my fingers down it gently. The texture is so much coarser where it happens that I can feel it and I'm sure that's why they cause tangles. I'm leaning towards damage because I have yet to find thickening near the roots of my hair. Sadly it can be as far as 8 inches from the ends though. I have so few of them that I don't mind snipping them out to help with the overall condition.

Sissy
February 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I also have these hairs which are coarse and dark colored and then thinner and lighter on another part. I have a few white hairs on my head and they are the same way. The top might be solid white and coarse but after halfway down the hair looks more dirty blondish. It is strange but not that noticeable on me.

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I've noticed them too, but the hair is coarse all the way to the roots for me... they tend to come out with a very gentle tug and the roots are weird and messed up.

I think it might be the first step in transformation to grey, or just a damaged folicle, or perhaps the hair got split and it's been split all the way up.

Some little hair divots can be splits that sort of fell off, so you just have a thinner section. I try to cut right above those because the hair is weaker and keeps splitting.