PDA

View Full Version : adding protein?

Dez
January 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
According to the article about finding out whats up with your hair. I think I may need protein. Is there a way to give my hair a protein treatment without having to go out and purchase something? If not then where can I get a protein pack?

HairColoredHair
January 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
You could try egg. Eggs are full of protein. Coconut milk has some if you have that in house. :)

I get protein treatments from Sally's if I get them. (I don't, usually!)

Sissy
January 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
you can put raw eggs in your hair for a protein treatment. Also, Queen Helene's Cholesterol or other brands of Cholesterol are inexpensive and available at Wal*Mart, Sally's etc.

Dez
January 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I believe that I actually do have some coconut milk on hand, maybe i'll try that. I can soak my hair in it and wrap a plastic bag around it and let it sit for awhile right? I vaguely remember reading something about that.

And if I want to try the eggs how do i do that?

Flaxen
January 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
If you really want a good protein treatment, you should get a commercial one. Sally's has an Ion brand that is very good. The protein molecules in eggs are too large to do much good as a protein treatment (they're better for washing hair), so you should look for products that have "hydrolyzed" protein of some kind near the top of the list of ingredients. :smile:

Dez
January 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
ok, thanks.

Aisha25
January 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I use the henna and placenta packets to add in protien for my hairs:). It is also good to do a moisturizing treatment after a protien one;)

Dez
January 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
well having nothing on hand at the moment except for coconut milk. ( i can pick up a protein treatment later) I went ahead and did the coconut milk. IT felt really good on my scalp. Anyway then I CO washed it out. Does that count for protein then moisture? LOL Now my head smells like pomegranate, yumm!

Aisha25
January 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I didnt know coconut milks had protien in it I thought it was a moisturising treatment thats what I always use it for:lol:. Well I love coconut milk in summer I use it every week mmm i love it.

Ms. Hollywood
January 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Eggs and Coconut are both great. My hair loves protein too. I also use VO5 conditioners with silk proteins regularly. If you use egg...be SURE to use very cool to cold water to rinse as you can cook the egg...Yes I have done this :D It is very hard to get out